Family Guy

A Hero Sits Next Door

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 02, 1999 on FOX

• Superb episode

I thought this episode was superb. The plot to it was very interesting and I liked the introduction of Joe, Bonnie, and Kevin. My only problem was the way Peter acted to Joe when he first saw that he is handicapped. There is nothing else to say about this episode, so I'll put what the episode is about. When the Griffin Family gets new neighbors that move in next door, Lois quickly becomes friends with Bonnie, Meg soon becomes attracted to their son, Kevin, and Peter becomes annoyed by the entire situation. After Peter injures the best player on his company's baseball team, Mr. Weed forces him to find a replacement, so Peter quickly changes his mind about his neighbors and invites Joe to play. When Joe shows up at the game, Peter learns that he is in a wheelchair. Joe ends up being the star of the game, which makes Peter jealous, as he wants to be a hero too. Peter ends up trying to stop a bank robbery to prove his value, but ends up getting caught up in the whole situation. Some funny moments include the very beginning, the Wheel of Fortune part, "the holy crap, he's a cripple" line, Joe's flashback of how he got handicapped, and a few more. Overall, this episode was superb. 9/10
  • A Hero Sits Next Door

What I liked- Joe's story about why he is crippled, "Holy crip he's a crapple!", the ending with Peter not caring about that lady's purse being stolen, Peter trying to save the people in the bank, Peter being jealous that his family seemingly likes Joe a lot, amongst other things.

Great episode and a really good introduction to Joe Swanson. A+
  • The introduction of Joe Swanson and his wife Bonnie Swanson

When the Griffin Family gets new neighbors that move in next door, Lois quickly becomes friends with Bonnie, Meg soon becomes attracted to their son, Kevin, and Peter becomes annoyed by the entire situation. After Peter injures the best player on his company's baseball team, Mr. Weed forces him to find a replacement, so Peter quickly changes his mind about his neighbors and invites Joe to play. When Joe shows up at the game, Peter learns that he is in a wheelchair. Joe ends up being the star of the game, which makes Peter jealous, as he wants to be a hero too. Peter ends up trying to stop a bank robbery to prove his value, but ends up getting caught up in the whole situation. I thought that this was a superb episode of "Family Guy". Not the episode from Season 1 and it could have been a little better but it was still enjoyable to watch. The introduction of Joe Swanson and his wife Bonnie Swanson begins in this episode "A Hero Sits Next Door". It was a nice introduction but I didn't like Peter's first impression of Joe by being jealous and making judgemental and offensive comments about crippled people plus a couple of parts were a little boring so that lowered my score. Stewie thinking that Joe is a cyborg because of his wheelchair was hilarious. Joe telling his story on how he became crippled was very good and his story about him trying to stop the Grinch was hilarious. The bank robbery dude saying "Look, she was very brave on her first robbery... everyone give her applause" (or something like that) was funny. The very ending of the episode was funny as well. It was also nice that the family told Peter that he was their real hero. Overall, not the best episode of Season 1 but it was still a superb episode of "Family Guy". 9/10
  • Not as good as the other ones, but still another great episode.

What I like- Stewie thinking Joe was cyborg, the glasses, the cutaway with Peter singing in church, the roleplaying.

Overall, an okay episode.

8.5/10

• this was a good ep

in this ep of the show family guy peters company is having a baseball team and so when the griffens get new neibors peter does not like the situation but when he has to come and pick the replacement he goes and asks joe to come and when joe shows up in a wheelchair he becomes the star player becasuse he is good .and peter gets jelious and he wants to become like a hero so he goes and trys to stop the bankrobers he gets caught in the middle of it and it was a good ep i thougt and it had some funny moments.
  • Alright not the best one

Holy crip it's a crapple. that bit is hilarious good episode could be a bit better first appearence of joe. As a new neighbor moves in next door peter needs to find a ringer for the baseball game at the toy factory where he works and he finds out joe is good at baseball but when joe shows up with a wheelchair peter is shocked. He then finds out that joe's a cop and thinks that hes family prefers joe to him. so peter atempts to rescue a bank but everything goes wrong and joe is called in to negotiate wuth the robbers.
  • Awesome episode.

"A Hero Sits Next Door" is a great episode that I could watch over and over again. I consider it a really great episode also because it is in season 1 of the show, the worst season, in my opinion. It is the first appearance of Joe, too. One of my favorite minor characters in the series. That's right, favorite MINOR character, not favorite character overall. it was funny and serious mixed together at the same time, one of my favorite episodes of the series also. I loved it so much, I've now watched it over.... FIVE TIMES! And I plan to watch it again soon.
  • Joe..

En verdad Joe es un personaje myu importante en toda la trama de la serie, y pues no recuerdo saber que defectos tiene, o bueno recuerdo algo en la temporada 6/7, pero pues el personaje es interesante, al parecer buen esposo, vecino, amigo y jugador de beisbol, solo me cabe en la cabeza imaginarme que podría hacer si no fuera lisiado, pero bueno el hecho es que Peter siente coartada su posicion de macho alfa en la familia con la presencia de Joe el hombre que todos quieren y el alma de la fiesta. Y por cierto, el hijo de Joe es un poco timido, pero creo que no lo desarrolan luego en la serie. Mal punto.
  • Introducing.. Joe.

Introducing a new character of Family Guy that begin to be friends with the guys for a very long time. Joe! Joe, the handicap man is loved after moving next to the Griffins household, and Peter is sick of it. Joe is also a cop who saves lives which people admire him even more. Well, Peter wants an end to it so he tries something crazy to be noticed and admired, instead of realizing that his family already admires him enough.

I quite enjoyed the story of how Joe ended up being how he is, especially with the Grinch parody. Very weird looking Grinch, though. We don't get to know all that much about Joe since in the other episodes, he isn't all admired like he was in this episode probably, but it's still nice to watch this episode. I enjoyed it.

We get some character development for Meg as she falls inlove with Joe's son. Meg wants him to notice her and we also get to know that.. Joe has a son. But we don't know much about him since there haven't really been an episode about him.
  • Fifth episdoe of Family Guys first and best season.This was another classic epsidoe that introduces the crippled cop next door neighbour Joe.

It starts when Mr. Weed introduces Guillermo, a ringer he hired to ensure the company's victory at the annual softball game. Peter injures Guillermo with a wild pitch during practice and must find a new player to replace him. Meanwhile, Lois is trying to become friends with the new neighbors. After Stewie tries to escape from listening to Lois and Bonnie's conversation, he says "Oh to be the Lindbergh baby right about now", a reference to the kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's son. Peter is antagonistic to his new neighbor, Joe Swanson, until he discovers that Joe played baseball in college. Peter invites Joe to join the team. When Joe shows up on the field, however, Peter (along with the other players) is horrified to see that he is wheelchair-bound, and yells, "Holy crip, he's a crapple!" Joe turns out to be a fantastic player, however, and leads the team to victory. In addition, he is also a heroic policeman, and soon becomes very popular with the neighbors, including Peter's family. When Peter is mad at Joe for taking all his friends he quotes the Gershwin & Gershwin song "They Can't Take That Away from Me" by saying "The way I wear my hat? No, no, he can't take that away from me." Stewie, meanwhile, believes that Joe is some kind of cyborg, and tries to steal his technology.

Joe's popularity makes Peter jealous, and Peter wants to be a hero too. He decides to perform a heroic deed to compete with Joe and attempts to stop a bank robbery in progress. However, he and Brian are taken hostage until Joe convinces the robbers to surrender. During this scene Lois prevents a policeman from shooting Peter; the bullet hits a John F. Kennedy PEZ dispenser that a boy was holding (a reference to President Kennedy's assassination), but he is glad he still has a Bobby Kennedy PEZ dispenser. After the hostage situation Peter is disappointed, but his family tells him that he is their hero.

In another subplot, Meg keeps trying to get Kevin's attention, but is unsuccessful until she gets Kevin to start talking about himself.

My fav refence was When Joe recounts (in flashback) being paralyzed as a result of a rooftop battle, he is battling the Grinch from How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • The episode itself is average but as it introduces two key characters (Joe and Bonnie) and shows another side of Peter; it's very important.

After injuring the key player in the company softball team, Peter needs to find a ringer to replace him or he'll get fired. When the athletic Joe and his family moves in next - door Peter decides to take him on after initially disliking him but when it's revealed that Joe is confined to a wheelchair but they win anyway; it looks like Joe will steal Peter's thunder forever.

This episode is important as it establishes Joe Swanson and his wife Bonnie on Family Guy. Joe is pretty different in this episode to how he's seen now; in this episode he's seen as one of those perfect neighbours we love to hate but still very macho but as the series went on he became a lot more gruffer and domineering with frequent fits of rage and violence and there's no voice actor who can capture this character better than Patrick Warburton. Bonnie is his pregnant wife who is voiced with the helium - like voice of Jennifer Tilly who goes well with the equally high - pitched Alex Borstein as Lois. Joe's son Kevin also makes his debut in this episode but his character rarely affects an episode or even speaks. Another reason why this episode is special is because up until now Peter has been seen as an earnest but largely uncaring father but it's established in this episode that he's very concerned with what his family thinks of him and risks his life just so they can consider him a hero like Joe.

As far as humour goes this episode has it's moments mainly in the first half but Peter getting involved with the robbery at the end has it's fair share of giggles.

The animation is still quite rough especially in the background department and the transitions but everything else is OK, the audo is also adequate. One of the few great episodes from the first season.
  • Introduction to one of the shows best main characters: Joe Sawnson... A good episode

Mr. Weed introduces Guillermo, a ringer he hired to ensure the company's victory at the annual softball game. Peter injures Guillermo with a wild pitch during practice and must find a new player to replace him. Meanwhile, Lois is trying to become friends with the new neighbors. After Stewie tries to escape from listening to Lois and Bonnie's conversation, he says "Oh to be the Lindbergh baby right about now," a reference to the kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's son. Peter is antagonistic to his new neighbor, Joe Swanson, until he discovers that Joe played ball in college. Peter invites Joe to join the team. When Joe shows up on the field, however, Peter (along with the other players) is horrified to see that he is wheelchair-bound, and yells, "Holy crip, he's a crapple!" Joe turns out to be a fantastic player, however, and leads the team to victory. In addition, he is also a heroic policeman, and soon becomes very popular with the neighbors, including Peter's family. When Peter is mad at Joe for taking all his friends he quotes the Gershwin & Gershwin song "They Can't Take That Away from Me" by saying "The way I wear my hat? No, no, he can't take that away from me." Stewie, meanwhile, believes that Joe is some kind of cyborg, and tries to steal his technology.

• Good episode.

I think that the episode A Hero Sits Next Door was a really good episode of Family Guy. This was the episode when we were very first introduced to Joe and his family. I think Peter was very funny in this episode. "My whole family worships the ground that he can't walk on." I found that line funny.I kinda felt bad for Peter when no one was paying any attention to him. But I like how everything worked out in the end of the episode. So over all I think that A Hero Sits Next Door is a very good episode.
  • A bold statemant toward political correctness

This episode I believe is one of the most thouroghfelt episodes due to the fact that it is the introduction of a physically handicapped person to a show which will be viewed by a predominantly able bodied community. The show tackles how a person can be accepted despite what is on the outside, tand this is what Peter Griffin finds hard to understand. It is a finite representation of the acceptance towards disable people and how different people view them. For example, from the child point of view, Stewie takes it upon himself to be more knowledgable about Joes handicap (In a round-about funny way)

This episode to me breaks down almost all stereotypes and preconceptions towards disabled people. Such as the inability to love, Joe has a healthy relationship with a son and another child on the way. He is fully independant and phsically capable beyond even some able bodied characters. I commend the creators for this well made episode.
  • Holy crip, he's a crapple!

Although not a perfect episode of Family Guy, I have to admire this outing for its distinct sentimental tone that is virtually nowhere else to be seen in later episodes. Nearly everything in 'A Hero Sits Next Door' is low-key, focusing on the characters rather than some weird plot that makes them do wacky things. There are moments that this formula works against the show yes, but for the most part, this is a special moment for the series and that's not to say it isn't funny either.

The production is more or less the same as the previous couple of episodes, maybe just a little less established at points but generally things are coming into place. As with the very early episodes of The Simpsons, Family Guy's main character, Peter, is portrayed here a whole lot more human than his modern self-referencing counterpart. Admittedly, as I stated in my previous review for 'Mind over Murder', I do actually prefer the caricature version of Peter, but it's worth noting that this rendition is something that gives a little more depth to the much loved character, even if it is brief.

The story for the episode is actually quite dry and racy as a result of the focus on character, but it still works when it gets moving and things get pretty funny, relatively fast. I specifically enjoyed Stewie's obsession with Joe's wheelchair, and as is the case with most early shows, felt Stewie's plot was the strong point -at least for laughs- for the episode. I also found the interaction between Brian and Peter to be wonderful, often giving way for some dry, witty gags typical of scenes involving Brian. Sure enough I have to comment that indeed, Brian seems to be the only character whom has not changed at all really since the pilot.

Of equally important mention is the fact that this episode marks the first time we get to see a classic Family Guy fight with a brilliant score and art direction that makes me laugh and stare at the screen in awe every time. Sure, it's probably not the strongest fight scene they've done, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, especially because it involved Joe, whom we don't really get to see in combat that often. Oh and of course, it marks the arrival of the Swansons themselves, and adds another friend to Peter's list, even if it's not established here and now. So overall, 'A Hero Sits Next Door' is an important episode for a number of reasons, and still it works as a hilarious Family Guy show all the same.
  • A handicapped guy named Jue.

Joe enters the picture for the first time in the series as he moves next door to the Griffins. He's so popular that Peter was very jelous of him, so he did something so stupid so he beomes a hero. Oneof the lesser know episodes of the series. Joe in a wheelchair will become part of the series. Meg continues to be voiced by Lancy charbert and she's doing a fine job. the rest of the episode is more of the same Stewie watchi bng the Telltubies on the television. I don't know why watches the show, he's too smart of a young kid.
  • a great episode and funny

• It was ok.

I liked this episode. But it's definetly not one you can mention immedietly and people will respond. And people will rarely bring it up. However this one introduced the characters of Jennifer Tilly's Bonnie and her husband Joe(patrick Warburton) and their son of whom I don't know the name, nor the actor who plays him, and I don't think he's been used since season three, thus making the Swansons, The Griffins' new nextdoor neighbours. This is a fairly good and underappreciated episode. Early but great. The characters were not yet fully right yet. But still a great eppie!!

A Dylan Harkin Review.
  • After the Griffins get new neighbours (the swatsons) Lois becomes friends with Bonnie, Meg gets attracted to their son Kevin. Yeah, everything's going great for everyone. except Peter. who cant stand it when everyone sees Joe as a hero.

Peter becomes jealous when everyone sees Joe Swatson as a town hero. When everyone starts spending so much time at his house, Peter gets out of control. Thinking he can win them back by becoming a hero, he attempts to cease a bank robbery. After making the news that there was a bank robbery in process, Peter was shown on screen and said to be held hostage, Joe comes to save the day... AGAIN!!! Peter then realises that he always will be his families hero even though Joe is the real hero. And Meg works out how to actually talk to Kevin via a little help from a nearby policeman.

Enjoy this review!
  • this was good

this was a very good epiosde so heres the review:

the review:

• Good episode...!

This episode was really funny, we finally are being introduce by the character of Joe and Bonnie and that makes this episode really cool, especially when Peter finds out that Joe is a leg handicapped and is excellent playing baseball, and that makes Peter really jealous and tries to be a hero himself by trying to save people from the bank, but it is thanks to Joe that people are safe...
  • This is an OK episode.

This is funny episode. It does't really have a good story.

Peter work has a baseball team. Peter's boss found a really good player that he hired just for the baseball team. Peter pitches and hits him in the leg. He is to hurt to play. If Peter can't find another person to replace the good guy then he gets fired. Joe Swanson moves in next door. He is a cop. He heard that he used to play baseball. He gets him to play for Peter's works team. When he gets there, Joe is in a wheel chair (Peter only saw Joe when he was sitting down). It turns out that he is really good, even though he is in a wheel chair. Everyone likes him and everyone goes back to his place to have a party. A bunch of funny stuff happens. Peter is jealous, so he decides to stop a bank robbery so everyone would like him. He tries to do that and he becomes a hostage. Joe saves him and Peter told his family what he did. His family understanded and paid more attention to him.

I give this episode a 9.0 out of 10.
  • The best of the first season. Joe's first episode and also one of his best.

This episode marks the first time we see the Swanson family; pregnant wife Bonnie, son Kevin and the family patriarch Joe, a police lieutenant who also happens to be in a wheelchair. Peter initially has an aversion to Joe, but changes his tune when he needs a baseball player for his company team and hears Joe was a college baseball player.
    When Joe turns up in his wheelchair, Peter has second thoughts, but Joe proves him wrong with his slick winning plays. All the attention turns to Joe, which pisses Peter off. This makes him decide to be a hero. Peter (with Brian, as always, by his side) go and try to stop a bank robbery.
    Meanwhile Meg has been desperately trying to pick up Joe's hot son Kevin. In an attempt to cheer her up, Lois takes her shopping. When they return they find Peter and Brian are part of the hostages taken by the bankrobbers despite Peter's (hopeless) negoitiation. Lois is freaking out until Joe turns up and gives a moving negotioation speech which drives the robbers to give up the hostages. Lois then tells Peter that while Joe maybe a people's hero, he's her hero.
    Cheesy, but this episode was worth it just for peter's attempts to be a hero by negotiating with the robbers.
  • Joe becomes everyones hero.

Softball game has arrived and practice had started. Peter injured their best player. Peter needs to find a substitute. He finds out his neighbor, Joe was a champion in baseball. Joe is actually handicapped, but Joe becomes the hero and Peter gets jealous so he tries to become the hero instead.
  • Holy crip, he's a crapple!

This episode marks the first appearance of disabled police officer Joe Swanson, his pregnant wife Bonnie and his son, whom Meg has a crush on, Kevin.

The episode started off with the softball tryouts with which the boss brings in a dead ringer, a used plot from The Simpsons, but quickly changed into a jealous Peter episode which worked out very well, him actually almost saving the hostages but deciding to postpone it since his family wasn't watching.

Stewie's thought of Joe being half-man, half-machine was another hilarious Stewie plot, him also wanting to be a "cyborg".

Overall, the episode got better and better as the episode went on with great revelations such as Mr Weed's sexuality.
  • This is the episode where we meet Bonnie and Joe for the first time. Of course, Peter is too stupid enough to realize that Joe is in a wheelchair. Joe becomes everyones hero and Peter tries to be a hero also.

The yearly softball game has arrived and practice had started. Peter blows it by beanballing their best player. Peter needs to find a substitute and finds out his neighbor Joe was a champion in baseball. At first it seems like a bad idea when everyone finds out that Joe is actually handicapped, but Joe becomes the hero and Peter must reclaim his "thunder."
  • Joe's first episode wasn't his worst

In this episode the family get new nieghbours.. but the disabled father of the family gets more attention than Peter which makes him jelous and makes him do something heroic.
    The Episode was quite funny, especially the Teletubbies bit which i thought was quite good.
    Joe makes a great addition to the show which proves well in later episodes like, Ready, Willing and Disabled.
  • The Griffin's have got new neighbours: a former champion baseball player, who is now a policeman, called Joe, an ever pregnant woman named Bonnie, and their son Kevin. However, Joe is handicapped, and Peter gets jealous of him hogging the attention.

This episode was rather hilarious, and marked the debut of Joe, Bonnie and Kevin. These people, Joe particularly, become main characters later on. You also find out about how Mr. Weed is a homosexual. The episode starts with Peter at work. The toy factory is ready to win the baseball game after being humiliated last time because the opposition wore X-ray glasses. However, thsi time they have a secret weapon: A man who Mr. Weed seems to be attracted to, to say the least. However, while practising, Peter injures the man and has to find a replacement. He finds out that his new neighbour, Joe, used to be a champion, and takes him. However, Joe is also handicapped. Despite this, he still wins the game; and gets the attention at the afterparty. Jealous, Peter decides to prove to everyone that he's a hero! Classic episodes, with side stories like Stewie tring to get Joe's wheelchair, and Meg trying to impress Kevin. Highly recommended.