Family Guy

A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Bucks

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2000 on FOX

• great for most of the parts

Peter runs into a former classmate of his while at the amusement park that the classmate founded. Contemplating his own legacy, Peter starts to think about his future. Chris gives Peter a painting that he painted in order to cheer Peter up, but Peter ends up selling it to a New York art gallery for $5,000. Realizing that Chris might be his only hope to have a lasting legacy, Peter pushes Chris to follow his dream of becoming an artist. The family then moves to New York so Chris can become famous. A great episode. This episode wasn't my favorite though because I thought it could have been better in some of the parts. The plot was a tad interesting though. Parts that I laughed are Peter refering to the place then he turns into a child, Stewie playing a game at the amusement park, Stewie thinks that he wrote a letter to Peter, Stephen King cutaway, the mailman turning into a baby/midget, Walt Disney cutaway Peter singing about Meg, and a few others more. Overall, a great episode. 8.5/10
  • One of my least favorite Season 2 episodes.

What I liked- When Peter tells Chris he didn't want the drawing.

Overall, mediocre compared to the other Season 2 episodes

7/10

• good

What I liked: Chris' "What?!" (the way he says it), "This looks like something out of Stephen King!" and then the Stephen King cutaway, Peter's line "Don't you know it's illegal for women to drive?" at the beginning, amongst a few other things.

It was pretty good. Peter and those other guys in the flashback, making fun of Bob because his mom was dead? Yea, those kinds of jokes do not amuse me. But the rest of the episode was pretty good, with Chris having to make a tough decision. Not one of my favorite episodes but I would be willing to watch it again, my final grade is a B-/C+.
  • Pretty good episode

When Peter runs into an old classmate, he realizes that he has done nothing successful with his life. Chris makes him a painting to make him feel better, and Peter sells it to a museum, and gets $5,000. A art agent sees that Chris has real talent, and puts him on display at a museum, but chris cant see his dad anymore, because the agent thinks he's a bad influence. Peter is furious, so he tries to get Meg famous, by using her bird calls. Chris sees that he dosn't care about the money, and he just wants to be with his dad.

This was a great episode. There were many great scenes like The Bull in the china shop, Poseidon, the guy who was playing Brian, and Big bird.

Overall Grade: 90%/A-
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show family guy peter runs into a old classmate of his from school and then chris who is making paitings gives one to his father and peter goes and sells it for 5,000 to art gallery in new york and then peter wants to move to new york to let chris live his dream as artist. and things start to work out but they go down hill and they go back to living in cohog. this was a good ep that had some funny scenes that made the ep really good that is why i gave it a 8.5
  • Season 2, Episode 11.

Peter runs into a former classmate of his while at the amusement park that the classmate founded. Contemplating his own legacy, Peter starts to think about his future. Chris gives Peter a painting that he painted in order to cheer Peter up, but Peter ends up selling it to a New York art gallery for $5,000. I liked this episode. LMAO at the beginning! "He misses his Mommy!" LMFAO! OMG I love this show. Haha at when Peter dried his hands on a Muslim's head thingy. LMAO at the Walt Disney thing! Haha! I laughed so hard when I saw that the first time. Kate Moss and Peter throwing the penny over the side of the Empire State Building! Haha! Great episode!
  • Didn't like this episode that much

6.7
    This episode wasn't good, it wasn't funny and all that get's revealed is Chris's storyline about becoming a famous artist. Yeah! What's the point of all this?

I mean, there were a couple of good scenes with Peter and Meg together like father and daughter but everytime I reach this episode on my DVD, I just skip it because it bores me as it is also painful to watch. I just wouldn't really care about episodes like these - but at least this wasn't as bad as those episodes that never actually happened, or occured centuries ago.

So, a disappointing Family Guy week and pretty much a waste of time. I hope we never get anything lame like this again...
  • Some good moments but overall a lazy episode.

Peter is out driving with one of Chris' paintings in his car when a man stops him and offers to buy the painting. The man turns out to be a famous art critic from New York, who insists that Chris come with him to develop his talent. While everyone is thrilled at first, Chris starts to feel some misgivings over all that has changed in his life, and uses his art to explore what's really important to him. Also when Peter realises that he's a nobody he aims to make his kids famous and live off of them.

This episode never really develops dramatic tension as the plot is so derivative and a lot of the situations are so unreal that it's hard to make an emotional connection to it.
    This episode is meant to shed more light onto the dense character of Chris but the constant shtick gets in the way of any character development. Unlike the current seasons where jokes come thick and fast in this episode there's only one at any given time and for the most part you get the sense that the writer's aren't really trying to come up with good jokes.

Unlike other TV episodes based in New York; this one doesn't only have the typical picture - postcard places like the Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park and the Rockefeller center but other more offbeat locations that makes it more realistic although none of this matters as every setting is hideously drawn with transition animation that flip books could better. The vocals are basically on snooze mode although Seth Macfarlane delivers a great musical number as Peter. Seth Green as Chris gives his longest and most effective vocal performance so far but as the voice for him is so annoying you'd rather he just return to being a side character.

As a bizzare comedy it works fine but A Picture's Worth 1000 Bucks generally falls short.
  • Very good one of the highlights of the season!!!!!!!!!

For his birthday, a blindfolded Peter drives the family to "Bob's Funland and Putt Putt Golf." The attraction's owner, Bob Funland, throws the group out after they cause repeated trouble for other customers. Peter grows depressed over his lack of accomplishments; he remembers Bob Funland as a loser from high school, and even his own obnoxious cousin Kathy Griffin is famous. Chris gives Peter an astonishingly good painting as a present, but Peter simply uses it to cover a hole in the window of his car. An art dealer named Antonio Monatti buys the painting for $5000 and urges Peter to bring Chris to New York City, where he could become a famous artist. Brian reveals he used to know Andy Warhol.

Under the guise of nurturing his son's natural talent, Peter puts Chris completely in Monatti's hands while the rest of the family tour the city, dazzled by the big-town sights. Monatti gives Chris a total makeover, dying his hair green, dressing him in fashionable clothes, renaming him "Christobel" and introducing him to a two-dimensional Kate Moss (implying that Kate Moss is so thin, when she turns to the side, she disappears). He tells Chris that he can never see his uncultured father again. When Chris reluctantly complies, Peter disowns him and focuses on Meg's talent for bird calls. Meg's bird calls attracts Big Bird from Sesame Street, who is angry he was summoned for no reason.

Lois tricks Peter into attending the premiere of Chris' artwork by telling him that strippers would be distributing free tacos. After a grandiose unveiling, "Christobel's" masterpiece turns out to be a collection of portraits of Peter in a style reminiscent of that of Andy Warhol. Monatti and the "art crowd" immediately detest the new work and reject Chris as a poser. As the family prepare to return to Quahog, "heterosexual fashion designer" Calvin Klein spots Stewie and immediately casts him as "the face" for his new line of designer diapers. At the end of the episode, the billboard with Stewie wearing a diaper on it reads, "Stewie Griffin says: I can go anywhere in my Calvin Klein diaper."
  • One of my fav episodes

This episode is so awsome because all the family guy episodes are really funny lol.But the good things I have to say about this episode are that it is really funny because peter acts really stupid even though he acts stupid in every episode.But to this one I thought he acted really funny.Another good thing about this episode is that in this episode Peter actually spends alot of time with his son in many other episodes he barley notices him about things he does.But the only reason he noticed his son in this episode because he made a piece of art that made him think it was going to be worth alot of money which it kinda was.
  • This episode was.....

6.9
    In this episode peter pushes chris 2 b a great painter but i think it wasnt that good some of the jokes in it were just awful i did not like it they couldve done alot better with this episode it was one of those "uh" episodes like they wasnt tryin there best at makin the jokes in my view that episode wasnt that funny and i think they wasnt really tryin when they was writing this one so my advice 2 them would b not to have episodes like that anymore i was really disappointed in what i seen, and this is what i thought of this episode.
  • Peter Griffin: Humurous guy!

Ohk, here it comes one of my favourites. A Picture is worth a THOUSAND bucks!! I love this one so, so, so, so, so much, and in saying that my favourite bit would have to be Stewie at the end, so cute as a little calvin Klein model,lol. Chris starts to become chris not just "hey, dad" and that one liner thing later became Meg's job. This episode is really underapreciated. I love it though, it made me laugh for hours on end and is a fine example of how great the old Family Guys are. P.S. Did anyone notice the hookers?
  • Chris shines his talent of drawing once again

Chris shines his talents again....

After Chris gives Peter a picture for a present Peter puts it against the backseat window. While a artistic buyer wants to buy Chris\' art. The Art Buyer then wants Chris and his family come to New York where Chris becomes more tied in with his works which angers his dad. While Chris is drawing pictures Peter is enjoying the life with Meg. Chris then thinks that his dad is angry because the art buyer won\'t let him go so he paints a picture showing his appreciation towards his dad where at the premiere the people are appalled of what Chris drew although the people did\'nt liek it he regained his respect for his dad
  • Good!

This episode is a really cool Family Guy episode, Peter is celebrating his birthday and gets a present from Chris that is sell for five thousand dollars of a great artist, convinced that Chris might be able to do much more than that, even become a famous artist, Peter takes him with a professional so they can work with Chris, but things get complicated when his trainer asks him not to see his dad anymore. And well, I kind of like this episode really much, but I like more the part of the beginning aobut the carnival and everything, it was really funny!
  • This is an OK episode.

It's really funny. This is probably Chris's funniest episode.

It's Peter's birthday, and he's depressed because he hasn't done anything with his life. Chris gives him a picture to cheer him up. He puts it in his window of his car. someone see's it and gives him $1000 for it. They go to New York so Chris can paint more. This guy wants him to change his name and change his hair. Then the guy wants him to never see his dad again because he thinks that Peter is holding Chris back. Chris disagrees but the guy makes him. Peter thinks that Chris hates him. He has to paint sixteen paintings. He paints all of them of his dad. Peter likes him again, but the guy hates the paintings. They move back to Quahog. Everything is back to normal.

I give this episode a 9.1 out of 10.
  • Lois, you know it's illegal for women to drive!

The start of this episode is hilarious with Peter's party such as Peter driving wth his blindfold on and somehow getting to his surprise party and Bob being insulted by the guys when they were younger for missingg his dead mother. I also like the scene where Peter asks "Who's this guy?" "I'm the guy whose car you just crashed into." "Wow, Lois, you invited everybody!"

The rest of the episode was great too, with Kate Moss jokes, Peter wanting his kids to succeed so that he could have accomplished something and Stewie's diaper range.

Overall, the episode is entertaining though the plot is unoriginal.