Family Guy

Amish Guy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 27, 2011 on FOX

6.7
  • family guy amish guy

great episode of family guy tonight it was really funny i thought the scene with the horse crapping on meg was disgustingly funny and it seemed like a classic episode the part when peter ate the rice cake had me laughing out loud and i liked it when peter kept destroying the amish people's houses and they kept rebuilding it again that was really funny and peter singing highway to hell excellent episode of family guy! :)
  • Amish Guy

In a weird twist of fate Meg episodes are usually good, but this one just was not. Too many bad jokes, an outrageous fight sequence that was not amusing at all, and just a generally disappointing half hour of television that pushed the lines of stupidity to a point that I can barely even justify anymore. If you are on the fence about watching it skip "Amish Guy."
  • After having a more serious episode last week, Family Guy returns to being funny. The results were good and it stayed right on target with the plot. Now if Seth could do this every week, Family Guy might return to its' roots.

After being told that he was overweight and can't ride the roller coaster, Peter thinks of a way to get on one. He takes his family to Ohio and puts on a girdle. His plan worked and he got ride the roller coaster. The family gets stuck in Amish Country and they spend the night in town. Meg falls in love with Amish local Ezekial but his father doesn't like his son being with outsiders. When Peter fails as usual to make peace with the Amish, he gets his family kicked out. Ezekial hitches a ride with the Griffins because he loves Meg. A war breaks out between Peter and the Amish. Meg and Ezekial stopped the fighting. Ezekial says that it would be best if he goes back with his father but tells Meg he will always remember her.

It was nice to see Meg fall in love and this boy really treated her right. Not like Kevin who made me mad when he called Meg a skank. There were really funny jokes. I loved seeing the Amish rebuild their barn 3 times when Peter keeps blowing it up. The Griffins using horses to pull their car. How the Amish fight, Peter and his girdle, the rice cake gag, smelling the pie and the National Lampoon Vacation referance at the end. I didn't like when the horse did his business on Meg but I'll let that one slide.

But Meg got treated better and was happy that she had a boyfriend for a while. This reminds of me when the Griffins went to South to protect Chris. This episode was just as good.

• Wait, wha?

Well... this episode came as a surprise.

When I read the previews of this, I felt for sure that this will turn another rehashing of a episode from Family Guy's first years, namely "South In Dixie" episode, which was redone in "Big Boys do Cry" in which the amily for some reason has to hide out in a rural area where they clash with the overly tradtional and religious locals, basically taking the road that even "North" didn't take in it's series of stereotype cultural humor.

My low expections were... half meet.

T0 my surprise, this episode seems to be more like the old seasons in terms of jokes and story. It didn't tried to phone in a political message that show has been known to do. They did a "Distant Griffin Relative" joke, haven't seen THOSE for a long time now. Heck, the family treats Meg rather well in this episode... until the end, then it back to the laugh at Meg's troubles. They do dump a little on the Amish culture and faith, but not as bad as I expected, and since they're making fun of people who can't see this, and if they do, they would take it in stride, so I can't really rant about that.

Overall, this wasn't as bad I expecting it to be. The only real thing I can say was bad about this was the pacing, the "feud" between the Griffins and the Amish didn't happen until the last 5-minutes of the show, most it being just around 3 minutes, and those 3 minutes being the best in the entire show. And I am still weirder out how the family suddenly acted like their original selves and treat Meg as an actual part of the family, but I wouldn't mind if it is worked back into the show, goodness know they don't really care for continuity.

• Funniest episode of Season 10

On the return from an adventurous day at an amusement park, the Griffins' car breaks down in Amish country and they are stranded with no way out. When Meg falls for an Amish boy, the Griffins then find themselves in a crusade against the conservative locals. I thought that this was an excellent episode of "Family Guy". This is now my favorite Season 10 episode right next to "Road to the Pilot" and "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q". I laughed at so many parts in this episode and I had no issues with this episode. No offensive jokes about the Amish or any of that stuff and everything about this episode was perfect. I admit, Eli's father insulting Meg and telling her to stay away from Eli was mean and I felt bad Meg on that part but that would just a nit-pick to me though. For me, there was a ton of humor that really made me laugh out loud hard such as Peter getting on the rollercoaster and then the rollercoaster falling down, Stewie saying "I thought something was a-mish" and then Brian hitting him, the steam of the pie dragging Peter and then the steam opening Quagmire's eyes wide with Quagmire saying "Peter, it's making me watch", the cutaway with the giraffe blocking Peter at the Sun Bowl game, Peter eating the rice cake, Peter singing the AC/DC song "Highway to Hell", Joe and Quagmire being caught inside the bag when Peter and them went to war against the Amish, Peter using weapons to destroy the Amish barn and then the Amish people keep rebuilding it, and many more. I also thought the pictures in the end credits of the episode were enjoyable and funny to watch. Overall, everything in this episode was perfect with only one nit-pick and tons of humor that really made me laugh hard... in my opinion, it's the funniest "Family Guy" episode of Season 10. 10/10

• This week, I'm going to try and look at Family Guy in a different way from the usual Simpsons-lite angle that I normally hold on the show.

A while ago,another reviewermentioned that they look at Family Guy as an animated comic strip. That intrigued me, and tonight was a pretty good episode to use that lens, since there were plenty of cutaways, and a lot of scenes in the main plot only lasted around a minute. That seemed the perfect length for a couple panels of a comic strip, with a usual setup, complication, and punch line dynamic.

First, I have a note on my personal interests in newspaper comics. I love Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, and I get a kick out of Zits. I dressed up as Hobbes for Halloween several years, even acting out several of the strips with my oldest friend from elementary school, and somewhere in my childhood home is the outline of a screenplay based on Zits from when I was about twelve. Foxtrot makes me chuckle every now and again; Doonsbury always reminds me of my father, in a good way; Boondocks always strikes me as trying too hard; Garfield is the mindless Top 40 of the funny pages; Peanuts isn't really for me, but I appreciate its pastoral nature, and think of it as the Robert Frost of comic strips. There's a general summary of some major comics that I enjoy, but Family Guy as a comic strip would, in my mind, be something like a more vulgar mix of Garfield and Dilbert.

So how is watching Family Guy different if you look at it as a series of comic strips? First, I'd think about in terms of how you treat a comic strip. I can remember cutting out daily strips that I particularly enjoyed, but that happened very rarely. If I didn't think the funnies lived up to their nickname, I did what everyone does with a newspaper. I threw it away. Well, recycled it, but still. Then I read the strip again the next day, as if the previous one hadn't existed. That's how I tried to watch this episode, paying some attention to the Griffins in Amish country, but mostly isolating each joke setup, figuring out what I liked, and then moving on to the next one. Family Guy isn't the kind of comedy that keeps throwing joke after joke on top of each other in consecutive lines It mostly constructs situations that last about a minute, which is a strength if those jokes are thought out, but dangerous if they're lazy and sloppy. Tonight, I was surprised by just how well the comic strip approach helped my outlook on the show. It was easier to ignore the jokes that didn't work, and a few good setups buoyed this episode enough to keep it above everything else this season aside from the Brian/Stewie pilot time-traveling from a few weeks ago.

The main plot actually did quite a good job of mirroring the usual Simpsons trope of starting in one place, going to another, and then taking a left turn into the actual central plot of the episode. First, Peter finds himself too heavy to ride roller coasters at Six Flags, so he uses a girdle to make himself appear thin, but causes a coaster disaster. That could be an episode right there, but instead that turns into Peter deciding to go on a diet. The rice cake bit seemed over-the-top already thanks to Peter's horrific retching in response to very little taste, but after that overlong joke finished, we got the requisite racist joke of the night. The ancient Asian stereotype and "ricey ricey rice no one likes rice cakes" line in the cutaway stacked racism on top of a bad joke in the worst way.

Strangely, the high mark of comic-strip length setups came right after that low point. Quagmire tries to help Peter learn self-restraint with food using a pie on a windowsill. He comments on the animated trope of steam from delicious-smelling food taking the form of curling fingers or wafting into nostrils, but warns Peter to resist. The ensuing gag of the steam getting way too violent in its attempts to entice Peter and forcing Quagmire to watch was a great commentary on the trope of the steam, and some good physical humor to boot. There were several other sequences that worked well in the same way, like Peter at a youth hostel and his call to the Swanson residence when he got Bonnie instead of Joe, and they were among the handful of cutaways this whole season that weren't entirely groan inducing.

The left turn into the main plot happened after Peter's girdle incident at Six Flags, as the Griffins' car breaks down in Amish country, and the family has to stick around because nobody can fix the modern machine. Meg falls in love with Eli, the son of the owners of the inn the family stays in, and terrible Amish puns ensue. Brian and Stewie were again shunted into the background, but Peter didn't take over the episode with selfishness and Lois didn't become a screeching harpy. For the most part, Meg got to have a small central plot around a constant stream of smaller comic bits, and the normally frustrating aspects of Family Guy stayed out of the way.

Having said that, when the best thing I can say is that a Family Guy plot didn't completely fall on its face, it's just about the faintest praise I can give. The worst extended joke of the episode involved a horse defecating on Meg for an entire minute. None of it was shown, but the Amish guy passing by with the horse narrated the whole thing, letting loose a few episodes' worth of scatological humor in one tangent. Aside from that one instance of Family Guy taking a huge dump on Meg, her sitcom-length romantic plot with Eli worked nicely, and Peter stayed out of the way for most of it. When he had to intervene, he did it in a typically self-centered fashion. Pulling out the boom box in a strange Footloose-based attempt to introduce the Amish to rock n' roll with AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" belongs in the "lame" pile for the night.

The third act went with the usual approach of abandoning tangential jokes in favor of an action climax, with Peter in an escalating war with Eli's father Ezekiel over the Amish man breaking up the kids' romance. This was mildly funny, but it was an expected over-the-top direction that didn't have many jokes that worked. Sure, the Amish raising a barn to successive machine gun, grenade, and rocket launcher attacks was nice, but it felt like the writers merely remembered there were a bunch of obvious Amish jokes they hadn't used yet, and then built an entire episode around it.

• Great first and last acts, not so great middle act.

First off, I thought the plot for this episode could have been a little better. It wasn't too original, since there are so many other episodes where Meg falls in love. Humor wise, though, particularly in the first and last acts, it was excellent. Among my favorite parts were Legs go up all the way Griffin, the Wright Brothers, Peter eating the rice cake, Quagmire's food journal, the whole scene with Quagmire's pie, Stewie saying "I thought something was a-mish" and Brian hitting him, Peter singing "Highway to Hell" and the Amish rebuilding the barn really fast. My main issue with this episode, however, was how badly Meg was treated by Eli's father and how he insulted her in the middle act. I felt so sorry for poor Meg in this episode. Other than that one detail, this was a pretty good episode, I thought, and was a tad better than the last episode. Final grade: B-. Marebear2009, out!

• Fantastic episode for Season 10.

In this episode, Meg falls in love with an Amish Boy. Very nice plot, but is it promising? Let's find out, I liked the weight limit on the coaster, Quagmire's food list, legs go all the way up Griffin, Peter eating the rice cakes, Peter resisting to eat the pie, "Peter, it's makin' me watch!", Peter's organs falling out of his mouth, "Are we trash?" "kinda", "Yeah, why don't you go back to the pond hippo!", The Orville Wright cutaway, Peter causing the roller coaster to crash, "yeah i thought something was a mish" *SMACK*, the GI Joe cutaway, Peter singing "Highway to Hell", Peter saying the horses were sexy, "Goodbye Abraham Lincoln people!", the Coleco football game, "I have done your chores to rob the joy of doing chores!", Bonnie answering the phone to Peter's declaring of war, "Apples, fire!", how fast the amish rebuilt the barn, "that man is my girlfriend, Meg!" "HEH-HEH", and Peter going "KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS!"

In conclusion, for a Season 10 episode, it had very many funny moments.

FINAL SCORE: 10 out of 10