Family Guy

Amish Guy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 27, 2011 on FOX

6.7
  • Wait, wha?

Well... this episode came as a surprise.

When I read the previews of this, I felt for sure that this will turn another rehashing of a episode from Family Guy's first years, namely "South In Dixie" episode, which was redone in "Big Boys do Cry" in which the amily for some reason has to hide out in a rural area where they clash with the overly tradtional and religious locals, basically taking the road that even "North" didn't take in it's series of stereotype cultural humor.

My low expections were... half meet.

T0 my surprise, this episode seems to be more like the old seasons in terms of jokes and story. It didn't tried to phone in a political message that show has been known to do. They did a "Distant Griffin Relative" joke, haven't seen THOSE for a long time now. Heck, the family treats Meg rather well in this episode... until the end, then it back to the laugh at Meg's troubles. They do dump a little on the Amish culture and faith, but not as bad as I expected, and since they're making fun of people who can't see this, and if they do, they would take it in stride, so I can't really rant about that.

Overall, this wasn't as bad I expecting it to be. The only real thing I can say was bad about this was the pacing, the "feud" between the Griffins and the Amish didn't happen until the last 5-minutes of the show, most it being just around 3 minutes, and those 3 minutes being the best in the entire show. And I am still weirder out how the family suddenly acted like their original selves and treat Meg as an actual part of the family, but I wouldn't mind if it is worked back into the show, goodness know they don't really care for continuity.

CW