Family Guy

Back to the Pilot

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 13, 2011 on FOX

7.8
  • A nostalgic ride that is funny and clever!

"Road To The Pilot"

Grade: A*

Well, we all anticipated this episode. Family Guy going back to the very first episode of the series, airing back in 1999. It's funny looking back at how different the show look and felt back then. Road To The Pilot manages to cleverly self-reference itself to joke on the pilot episode and create an interesting take on preventing 9/11 in the second half of the episode.

One thing I really liked about this episode as well is that they compare current Stewie to past Stewie and how different each character is. It's funny seeing how past Stewie was always evil and wanted to kill Lois, whilst present Stewie is just like "Yeah, whatever" and much more lazier. One joke is Stewie commenting on how much more gadgets his past self had compared to his present one. It's also interesting to note that this episode purposely animates the 1999 scenes in 4:3 aspect ratio to keep it in line with the original pilot animation.

With many reappearences and nostalgic memories of seeing the Kool-Aid again and Peter's old friends with no appearance of Joe (Since he hadn't appeared until episode 5), the writers made sure to keep the continuity correct and believe it or not, had some of the best dialogue and funniest jokes I've seen in years. When Stewie commented on Meg's voice and the cutaway jokes, I was cracking up laughing at them breaking the fourth wall.

As the episode continues with Brian and Stewie meeting the Kool-Aid man and intefering with his original appearence, as well as the Football stadium. Brian and Stewie finally return back to the present, only to discover Brian prevented 9/11. Although it may appear bad in taste and controversial, I think this episode raised a good point on whether we should alter the past or not. As they soon find out, they start a war and cause a hilarious scene of Joe and Quagmire together as both Cyborg and Frog.

The episode ends with Brian and Stewie trying to prevent their original selves from doing anything wrong, and in the end cause a huge paradox of loads of Brians and Stewies (as well as other minor alterations) to reappear and mess everything up. In the end, Stewie stops all of it from happening by appearing before the originals and forcing them to go back straight away after shooting them.

Overall, Road To The Pilot shows that Family Guy can still be funny when it tries and has a plot where the jokes can work with both subtle and black comedy. As for 9/11, it brought an interesting point about it whether we would actually prevent it from happening or not, and seeing the pilot again is a huge nostalgic memory for me and many others, watching the show back when it was brand new back in 1999 and seeing how the show has changed, some for the best, some for the worst.