Family Guy

Breaking Out Is Hard to Do

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 17, 2005 on FOX

• This shows what addiction will do to you.

Top 10 episodes easily.
  • Lois gets addicted to shopping

Lois's kleptomania lands her in jail, leaving the Griffin household in a worse state of disarray than usual. In an effort to restore their lives Peter breaks Lois out of jail, only to find themselves fugitives living in "Asian Town" Peter takes up sumo wrestling to pay the bills, until Joe sees Peter on television and goes after them. The family takes refuge in the sewers but it is no use; Joe follows them even down there. A miscalculation sends him hurtling towards his certain doom when Lois saves him... which somehow magically absolves her of her crimes. My only thing from keeping the score 10 is that the episode was dragged in several parts. This episode had a bit funny moments, like the part where Chris went to the Take on Me music video, the cutaway with Brian dressed as a girl, a few more cutaways, Quagmire's part (including his own theme song), "Oh my god, you're Jackie Chan!" and a few more. Overall, a superb Family Guy episode. 9/10
  • Great

Everything was good in this episode, except the ending felt rushed in my opinion, and the truffle shuffle part was funny

8.5/10

• A pretty average episode.

The episode started off really slow when it concentrated on Louis' addiction for stealing, and not many of the jokes and references to popular culture in the first half of the episode were too entirely funny or amusing. However it picks up really fast when the family finds themselves in Asian town. The whole Jackie Chan scene was pretty funny and I liked how they were making fun of both whites and asians in that scene. Chris' job as a taxi driver was also funny and a pretty funny portrayal of how encounters in the taxi are. And Stewie's job as a labourer was also a pretty funny gag at how China exhausts its labourers. The first half was a bit boring, but it picks up fast the second half.
  • Getting even a better episode and a better show.

Great.I reviewed a bunch of Family Guy episodes and it got even better.I loved the part with Stewie getting a full diaper and he gets crazy and confused.That part was like one of the funniest part of the show.I loved that part with Chris in that Take On Me music video.That part was the gretaest spoof made by Family Guy.It became even better and better of creating a good episode.I loved it when Jackie Chan thought that Meg was Malcome In The Middle.That part was very funny and every episode was one of the funniest parts of the funny episode.
  • A real good Family Guy episode....

In "Breaking Out Is Hard To Do," Lois develops kleptomania and the entire Griffin family has to run from the law, hiding in "Asian Town." This episode is very funny - watching Lois get high off of shoplifting and seeing what the Griffin household is like when Lois is not around. As usual, Family Guy pushes the boundaries with "Breaking Out Is Hard To Do" - specifically when dealing with the "Asian Town" aspect of the episode. The "Asian Town" jokes are hilarious but you wonder if they should be, as they run dangerously close to being offensive to Asians. But that's Family Guy for you - I am never sure if I should be laughing at anything in the series.
  • This was one of my favorite episodes in the Family Guy series.

This episode is really funny. When Lois steals a ham from the grocery store, she starts to become a theif. Then she decides to steal a rare peice of art and gets arrested by Joe. After her trial she goes to prison (I don't remember how long her sentence was though). The rest of the Griffins come to visit her, but Peter busts her out by hiding her in his mouth. They run away in a mail van and end up in Asiantown. Peter becomes a sumo wrestler and Joe sees him on TV. So he finds them and they run in the sewer. Eventually Lois gives in and serves her sentence (but she gets out early).
  • So funny...

You know when you watch something a first time all by yourself, and not really like it? Then, you watch it again with a crowd who laugh at almost every joke, you can't help but laughing, too and you think the episode is better? That's what happened to me, but some opinions didn't change.

Like, the jokes started to fade away when they got to Asiantown. Before that, it cracked me up so much, but then less and less funny jokes popped out, but the endless laughing at the beginning made up for the joke-drought at the end! This is a great episode, you'll love, but the end you probably won't enjoy as much.

9.5 out of 10.
  • Great episode...

Lois's kleptomania lands her in jail, leaving the Griffin household in a worse state of disarray than usual. In an effort to restore their lives Peter breaks Lois out of jail, only to find themselves fugitives living in "Asian Town" Peter takes up sumo wrestling to pay the bills, until Joe sees Peter on television and goes after them. The family takes refuge in the sewers but it is no use; Joe follows them even down there. A miscalculation sends him hurtling towards his certain doom when Lois saves him... which somehow magically absolves her of her crimes. Hilarious episode to say the least.
  • One of my most favorite episodes.

This is probably no is one of my most favorite episodes of family guy of all-time.I just the basic layout of the story and the way they aired it.The things I thought were great on this episode was how it showed a really good oldy 'Take on me'
    By A-Ha.A very classic song that my mom and her sister use to groove to lol,and i got to say I wouldn't dance but it is a really good song that I enjoy listening to.Another good thing about this episode is seeing another part of Louis this is one of the few episodes where the main Character is acually Louis she is rarely the main character its always Peter and Stewie.
  • Meh, so-so.

This was a fairly good episode and infact one of my all time favourite moments in the series is in this, when Chris gets dragged into the old music video and such, I also like Lois stealing a muffler, it had me rolling on the floor laughing and I also enjoy the griffins moving into china town. And seeing Lois in prison is always good.

PLUS, the story that feautures Lois, which nowadays is every one in ten, was surprisingly well written, but the whole thing that gave this episode a fairly low score is how we find out Lois hates Meg, I don't care how much of a ***** Meg is, her mum should always love her. Another of my favourites in this episode is the three's company chinatown version and the small but funny star wars reference.

A funny and adventurous episode.
  • Exactly what the title says, but they manage to pull it out.

Lois get's hooked on the "joys" of shoplifting. Joe Swanson, The Griffins family friend and also a polie officer finds out and as a result sends her to prison. But Peter and the family manages to break her out and ends up in china town. Joe soon finds where they have ran after seeing Peter doing sumo-wrestling on TV. After Joe chases them through china town the family then end up going into the sewer with Joe closely following them in a helicopter. After Joe get's out and lashes out at Lois he falls down a waterfall thingy but manages to hang on. Lois pulls him up and as a result is let off. A brilliant installment.
  • LOL This episode has got to be one of the best!!

I loved this episode!It was defenitely one of the best episodes so far!Peter Griffin is my favorite character! It was so funny when peter was shouting " Oh My God Its Jackie Chan!" when ever he saw a chinese person,while he was in china town!
    I think you have to watch this episode if you havnt already!
  • Lois is stealing stuff

This episode was so funny and awsome and so adventurous this episode is one my personal favorites seriously its cool how they end up in china town and the episode was kinda races tho when they said that jakie chan line anywayz still the episode is really funny and also stewie.
  • This is the best Family Guy episode ever!

I know this is great episode since my friend have a DVD. When I saw it I saw that Chris is finding a milk untill he's on a 1985 msuc video "Take On Me" by a-ha, next Trix rabbit was in there untill he punch of the kids, then she got an undercover chase ride (like American Dad the very first episode), The Griffen's fanily arrived at China-town and they rent a motel at the noodle restaurant, right now Mrs. Griffen saw a man that she stole all the items so they ran (Wow that I really love the chasing part!), now on underground sewer (like the movie "The Goonies").

This episode was great! I would you have a Family Guy vol.4 DVD!
  • “Nobody messes with Adam We!”

This episode sees Lois become a kleptomaniac, stealing various items from various stores, Brian being the only Griffin smart enough to figure it out.

I didn’t understand the scene with Chris in the fridge but I did laugh at his “I don’t know!” which sounded humorous for some reason.

Lois in prison was a good plot and Peter’s “intelligent” way to sneak her out was ridiculous but once they reached Asiantown and met the Asian Monkey much to Chris’ dismay the episode started to go downhill with predictable or lame jokes.

However most of the episode is entertaining such as Lois stealing the gavel in court and Tom Tucker’s “hand as big as face” joke and most Family Guy fans would enjoy this episode.
  • Lois becomes a Kleptomaniac and winds up in Jail. The Griffins must then sneak her out and hide out in the Quahog equivalent of China Town.

I didn't like too many episodes of this season, however, this one stands out above all the rest as one of the best. The grocery store was one hilarious scenes in the history of Family Guy. The Kidnapper and the Mother were two very hilarious charachters, making child abduction, despite what South Park says, very funny. Chris getting pulled into the Milk section was extremely random, showing that they have a good balance of different types of humor in this episode.

It was an interesting storyline as well, seeing how Lois's kleptomania gets worse and worse until she finally cracks and ends up in Jail. I must say, seeing Joe beat the crap out of her was rather entertaining her. There were even more hilarious gags at the prison with the "biblical name" and the sexual terms causing Quagmire to go "giggedy goo" and then "that was also sexual..." and of course, the HILARIOUS scene of Peter smuggling her out in his mouth.

My one problem with this episode was that the Chinatown part was not long enough! That was filled with some ribcracking scenes such as "Oh my God its Jackie Chan!" "Asian Trix (I was waiting for FG to do Trix...)" and the sweatshop. The ending was a bit stupid and there was a bit too much Meg bashing which is why I took of .5 points.

Toodles!

EDIT: The kidnapper scene may not have been in this episode... Either way, it was effin hilarious
  • This episode is just like a classic FG episode, Well -written and it had comedic timing; by far the best of the season. I want more new episodes of FG just like that. This is a perfect example of what a FG should look like.I'd watch it on replay.

This episode is just like a classic FG episode, Well -written and it had comedic timing by far the best of the season. I want more new episodes of FG just like that. This is a perfect example of what a FG should look like.I would watch it on replay.
  • Another classic randomly funny Family Guy episode!

In the supermarket when Chris got dragged behind the milk I realized that this was going to be a very good FG episode.

It was a completely random thing to do, but I found myself laughing like crazy when that happened.

That is the strength of this show, you never really know where the laughs are going to come from. They usually appear out of nowhere.
  • Ah, good old Family Guy!

This episode is teh awesome! Lois starts stealing! Chris goes into a music video! Joe beats up lois! All the Family Guy classics. The Goonies made an appearance in this episode! I love the prisoners names: Stabby, Fisty, and Balls! LOL! Family Guy should make more episodes like these! The Asiantown Three's Company and Asian Trix were good points as well! Peter gets a job as a sumo wrestler, too. Overall, the summary is: Lois gets addicted to stealing, gets arrested, and her family gets her out and they hide out in Asiantown, where the cops find them and chase them down. But Lois saves Joe and they get off free. Watch this episode, it is the best!
  • Lois stars steeling and then ends up in jail. So Peter helps her escape. An now the family are all fugetives and the hide in Asiatown.

Love it. One of my fav episodes by fav. I love when Peter puts Lois in his mouth. Also gota love when Brian can not stand up in the car. Somthing about this episode makes me laught every time but I do not know what it is. O well this episode is still awsome
  • Welcome back Family Guy! Throughout the duration of the entire fourth season of Family Guy, every episode has felt forced, boring, and flat-out sloppy. Finally, the writing team has removed their heads from their bottoms and reminded myself

Wow, was I shocked by the end of "Breaking Out is Hard to Do". For the first time this season, the show has finally broken out of it's proverbial funk, and reminded us why it was brought back to television in the first place. The pacing is back to it's brilliant self, with gags coming in at just the right moment. Quickies such as Quagmire's TV show, Chris being in the "Take on Me" video, or the Griffin's encounter with the Goonies are just hysterical.

This classic is right up there with any of the other great episodes from seasons one through three. This is undoubtedly the spark that "Family Guy" needed in order to return to it's former glory; and hopefully, the show can keep it up.
  • never pictured Lois as a theif

I would have thought that of all the characters on the show Peter would have been the Klepto. I guess you could say there is a first time for everything. I bet stewie was happy to be rid of Lois for a little while (hmmmm maybe he brainwashed her. I can definately see Peter as a sumo wrestler. I really like the new episodes and cant wait for them to keep coming. This is definately one of the best adult animation series I have seen. Does any one know if they are planning to continue more episodes after this season? And someday it might be funny to see a Tv movie with Stewie all grown up.
  • So funny. Ive watched it over and over and havent gotten sick of it yet.

I have always enjoyed Family Guy and this episode was the best for season 4 in my opinion. I especially enjoyed the A-ha part because i didnt know what it was at first and found that people with wrenchs are so funny looking. And then there is the Quagmire part, because "Who else but Quagmire" could be so funny. This could easily be one the of most quotable episodes as well as one of the most remembered. And one comment about the doody part, it woulda been really really funny if something had fallen out of the diaper. Gigitty gigitty gu.
  • either the best or second best show overall of the season

I had probably two of the biggest laughs i've had in a long time during this episode. The first was the A Ha video that Chris goes into. I had just watched this video a few days before, and the reference really got to me. The second was after Lois goes to jail the state the house was in, and the mustard on Peter's shoulder,"You gonna to eat that?" Brian,"The mustard on your shoulder?, No. Also, when Stewie comes in with the giant diaper and the belt on. That may have been the biggest laugh for me the show has ever had. I have two kids, and could imagine if my wife left, our youngest child's diaper might look like that from time to time, I just need a belt. Too many classic lines and gags in this one to name."Boy you put on weight Jackie Chan."
  • Better and better!

I thought they couldn't get away with more than in the "8 Simple Rules For Buying My Teenage Daughter" episode, but they did. Simply amazing that they got away with the "I had to do that thing you normally do for me every Thursday night." bit. Gets better and better every week.
  • awesome episode!

The scene where Chris got pulled into the shelve was just hilarious! this scene will be one of my all-time favourites that ill never forget!
    The rest of the episode was funny as well but that scene definately stood out for me....

But now QUICK! TO THE PETER-COPTER! :p
    (i know a reference to another episode but me and my friends use it all the time when we go some place!)
  • Brilliant episode, I just wanted to point out a flaw that only otaku will care about.

I\'m actualy only writing this review becuase I\'m not yet allowed to add to trivia, grr to the points system. Everything that can be said about this episode has been said, it has the perfect balance of jokes and story, something that has been somewhat lacking from the series thus far, and every joke is a winner.

Now, the reason I\'m writing this review: I wanted to point out a mistake in one of the scenes, I\'m almost sure this mistake was just left in to piss of the anime dorks like me (Another great 1% joke) , but I felt I should point it out:

The Chinese resturant the Griffins stay in has a sign written in /Japanese/ katakana letters. Katakana is the writing system the japanese use to convey onematopea and forgien words, the writing on the sign says \'Chainisu teikuauto\' - Chinese takeout.

• An Excellent Episode that excels to this shows peak of Season 2. Funny Flashback scenes and the scene with Chris in the supermarket was one of the best this program has produced both humour wise and in animation standard.

Terrifically funny in parts if close to the line in others, this episode made fantastic viewing. One thing to bear in mind with Family Guy is it's not an entirely "serious" program, in fact not at all like how Lois escapes from prison. But this adds to the entertainment.

All the family are get an equal dosage in this episode, and the flashbacks scenes are great. The Quagmire sidebar is also laugh out loud funny.

All in all another great episode from a great show.
  • Freakin'awesome best show ever between this and futurama awesome goonies milk trix everything o how do you get bender symbol big fan of bender quagmire watch them every day never miss them never ever i watch adult swim everyday i never miss never ever any

really funny stuff up there explains my passion to watch family guy and futurama! on sunday it was funny to funny for tv you can't that on family guy that's a good episode name i hope they never cancel this show this so funny peter very funny and so is everyone else!
< 1 2