Family Guy

Brian: Portrait of a Dog

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 16, 1999 on FOX

• Every dog does have his day. Especially when his name is Brian Griffin.

I really love this episode. I don’t think there’s any doubt in my mind that Brian is my favorite character, and in this episode we get to see a lot of him. It was hard to decide between “Character Development” and “Series Classic” since this episode is both.

In this show, Peter convinces Brian to enter a dog show, since the Griffins need a little extra cash. Brain, basically since he’s the smartest dog ever, almost wins the competition with flying colors. That is until Peter requests that he eat a dog biscuit off his nose. Brain, angry and disgusted, throws the treat down and walks off, making both he and Peter look bad. All of this causing a rift between Peter and Brian - and everyone else is torn up about it too. Well, maybe not Stewie, who after Brian storms out after a fight with Peter, bring up getting a kitty.

In one of the most humorous side stories, the cat is a nightmare. Constantly hissing and clawing everything. And the kitty ends up being a final push Peter needs to finally forgive Brian and try to find him.
    But by the time Peter finds Brain, it’s too late - he’s bitten a stranger and is now at the pound facing lethal injection. I love how Brian comes through as an intelligent (who doubted it?), organized fighter for justice. Even if it’s only for a dog.

This is one of my all time favorites - defiantly worth watching.
CW