Family Guy

Brian Sings & Swings

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 08, 2006 on FOX

• Radical

• worst of the season

After Brian has a near-death experience in the hospital, he decides to lead a new life. He ends up getting a nightly singing gig with Frank Sinatra Jr., but his new lifestyle doesn't last very long. Meanwhile, Meg, after joining a new after-school group, pretends to be a lesbian. I don't really hate this episode but it had to be the worst episode for season 4. Also, if you noticed, this will be the first episode in the actual (not counting the later ones) that I rated under 7. I just find both plots very boring especially Meg's. I only laughed at Peter hitting Brian, cutaway with Joe falling down and he want 7up, "Mom why the cable guy here?" the Chinese guy commercial, Bruce's appearance, and some of the cutaways. Overall, the worst season 4 episode ever. 5.5/10
  • Does Seth really think we want to watch Brian sing for 30 minutes?

Brian was a real jerk in this episode, and I really don't care much for him singing, please avoid this episode for your own good.

1/10 F

• Could have been better but it's a great way to spend 30 minutes of your time

I thought that this was a great episode of "Family Guy". In my opinion, it wasn't my favorite episode and it could have been better but it was a great way to spend 30 minutes of your time. Not the best episode but it also wasn't the worst episode either. I didn't like Meg's plot that much with the whole "pretending to be a lesbian" plot which lowered my score a little low. My score was also lowered a little because Brian was being a little annoying being negative after people are gonna die soon and all that. Other than those things, this episode was great. There were some parts that made me laugh pretty hard though. The Thomas Edison cutaway was funny. The cutaway with Peter swimming with the bulls made me laugh very hard. The cutaway with Stewie laughing weird at anything that was funny to him is funny as well. Joe's cameo appearance made me laugh very hard. Mayor West's cameo appearance was also memorable and hilarious. Let's also not forget Quagmire's two cameo appearances in this episode which also was very funny. Brian and Stewie singing on stage with Frank Sinatra Jr. was very enjoyable. Brian going on the stage and singing with Stewie and Frank Sinatra Jr. at the very end of the episode was very enjoyable. Overall, this episode was great but Meg's plot wasn't that good to me and Brian was a little annoying. 8.5/10

• My favorite episode!

This is the episode that I chose to purchase on iTunes because it is the perfect Family Guy episode. It's a great story involving Brian, and a funny subplot where Meg tries to be a lesbian. Even the cutaways were memorable! This had a majority of the funniest quotes ever heard on the show. The music is also great, great use of Walter Murphy and His Orchestra and an equally awesome guest appearance by the "Member of the Board," Frank Sinatra, Jr. But if I have one thing to criticize, I'm not really fond of the John Goodman joke. I think it was in a little bad taste. But other than that, great episode.
  • Season 4, Episode 19.

After Brian has a near-death experience in the hospital, he decides to lead a new life. He ends up getting a nightly singing gig with Frank Sinatra Jr., but his new lifestyle doesn't last very long. Meanwhile, Meg, after joining a new after-school group, pretends to be a lesbian. I really, really enjoyed this episode. I wouldn't consider it a series classic, but it is pretty good. I loved when Meg was pretending to be a lesbian. Haha, I loved the Sunshine Bear scene... I'm pretty sure that was in this episode... Hehe, excellent scene, regardless. Great episode, definitely, as can be expected from FG.
  • Maybe not the best episode, but by far not the worst.

AN episode that had its ups and its downs, but all and all not a boring or bad episode at all. I think that this episode had some really solid jokes and a great plot. There is absolutely no reason to give this episode less than a 7.5. Maybe not the best episode, but that doesn't mean that its the worst.
  • Boring. Boring. Boring.

Now, I was bored out of my brains on this episode and believe it or not I actually fell asleep, so I had to rewatch it to write this review, I hate when Family Guy will sometimes do a episode like this, a episode they're sure everyone will like, a episode with pretty boring plot, pretty boring jokes and just "Boring", now I'm not one known for my bitterness of episodes of series :P and I always speak my mind, and I tell you one thing the only thing I can thiink of for this episode is that it's boring, I would expect something like this from another series that I won't name but not this one, I mean the show has always had good jokes, but this is just awful.

Actually this is in the eighties for me, about 89, yes there's like 6 more that I hate more than this one.
  • Singing swinging and being a lesbian - only family guy

After Peter hits Brian with his car Brian only feels self pity until he meets Frank Sinatra Jr. Brian is inspired to sing with him on stage at some club. The evening goes well and they both decide to become a duo. When Brian is asked to look after Stewie its only a matter of time before the duo becomes a trio. Brians fame goes to his head and he starts to drink neglecting Stewie one night which leads to Stewie losing an ear. After Brian bites Peter, peter is scared to go near him. Brian leaves and is found by Stewie in a gutter. Stewie talks to brian and Brian decides to clean up his act.

Also, Meg delighted at having friendsand being part of a club at high school is at first unaware that she has just become the latest memeber of the Lesbian Allience Club! She pretends to be a lesbian when she realizes that this is her only way of having friends.
  • Not a fantastic episode but it did have some moments.

This season for me has been absolutely fantastic but i sort of felt let down by this episode. Even though it was cool to have Frank Sinatra Jr on the show, I really wasn't interested that much by the Brian storline this episode included.

Firstly I just didn't think that in some parts this episode was actually funny enough. Some of the songs were pretty boring and I felt that Stewie didn't have enough good one liners.

And even to top off I found the Meg storyline (shock horror) more interesting than the main storyline. It was just so damn funny with all the quagmire jokes in it especially when he was in a cupboard with Chris (and when Chris fell out with a video camera when he found Lois making out with another girl).

Overall slightly disapointing, but i suppose that the whole stroyling related to this episode wasn't my kind of thing. Still if you like that kind of music, this episode will be great for you.
  • Brian leases a new life of singing with Frank Sinatra Jr.. Meanwhile, Meg decides that she is a lesbian.

Ok episode, has some good jokes mixed in the first half of the story. I laughed most towards the beginning when stewie mentions the rock. “Ones a baby and the others…black I think at least part black. Or Hispanic. I think you know possibly there’s some Filipino in there. Yer possibly some Filipino. I mean if he’s, if he’s black its differently diluted I mean one of his parents must be white. What the hell is Jessica Alba for that matter? If I was 40 yrs younger I would plough that til next July.” That is an absolute knee slapper, it’s followed by one of meg’s teacher’s wanting to show his sex tape. Lol
  • An average episode of Family Guy which is made better by some LOL jokes!

An average episode of Family Guy which is made better by some LOL jokes! Not much happened, the Brian/Stewie storyline was not that great. But the Meg being a lesbian storyline was hilarious! "Look at me looking at naked girls, oh they are so hot!". And when Lois made out with that girl, that was hilarious too! Overall it was an ok episode of Family Guy which was made 8 times better by the lesbian storyline. Peter didn't have much of a role in it, he just sat around saying one-liners, he was still prettyn funny though! So if you are introducing Family Guy to a friend & want to show them how good it is, don't use this episode, if you are bored than it's better than nothing!
  • Greetings Hebrews and She-brews! What a jewish glorious day!

This episode is a poor example of the comedic talents that have been proven to come out of Family Guy with a promising start of Peter hilariously running Brian over turning into a completely disastrous piece of dribble.

Brian and Stewie, my second and third favourite characters in the program (fave is Quagmire), are featured predominantly in this episode but I still didn’t find it entertaining and instead found it to be an unfunny plot with no laughs at all in the second half of the episode.

However, Meg’s plot (Meg plots being rare nowadays) was a pick up from the terrible main plot and the B story was quite entertaining and explored the topic in a hilarious way.

Overall though, the quality of this episode is extremely sub-par and is definitely a low point on season four.
  • Nothing special but it was better then "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Fonz"

This episode was really nothing special, there were some funny bits and some kinda lame bits. This episode was about Brian and Stewie get a gig singing with Frank Sinatra Jr. and become a smash hit, however all it not well because this life style begins to have a bad effect on Brian. Mean while in an attept to fit in Meg pretends to be a lesbian.

One of the main problems with this episode is that for once Megs story was the most interesting and they hardly used it, Meg pretending to out herself to have friends was way more interesting then Brian and Stewie becoming singers. Aside from that most of the jokes were funny but there were afew stinkers in there and ultimately because of those flaws this episode proved as further evidence that Family Guy might be starting to go least it was much better then the last episode!
  • Brian\'s life changes after Peter hits him with his car in his own driveway. Brian meets Frank Sinatra Jr., who pulls him out of his misguided depression.

THIS IS A QUOTE: \\\"Bottom of the barrel\\\"
    Worst episode of Family Guy EVER.

I've looked through here at what people have had to say about Series 4 in general at I have to say I think they are wrong. I have thoroughly enjoyed the season although there have been very weak episodes...namely \\\'Breaking Out Is hard To Do.\\\' This on the other hand was the worst episode of Family Guy ever with a stupid and random plot and absolutely nothing remotely funny in it at all. There was a lot of random moments in it which were supposed to be humurous but just wern\\\'t. I can forgive this one \\\'cop-out\\\' of an episode aslong as they never make ANYTHING like it again.

I WROTE:

The person who wrote this is sadly mistaken. These are the episodes we should look for in a series. The jokes are not what counts in Family Guy, its the STYLE. Season 4 has lost all trace of style, except for this episode. If you\\\'ve seen Road To Rhode Island or Road to Europe, you\\\'ll know what I mean (although those have a great plot like Brian Sings and Swings, plus they\\\'re funny). All the voices aren\\\'t done as well in this season, and everyone knows it and complains about it, but at least this episode doesn\\\'t include Peter, Lois or Chris much...I don\\\'t have a real problem with any other character. So, um, whoever wrote the review above...keep your worthless opinion to yourself.
  • One of the best

This episode in my opinion, is one of the best Family Guy episodes ever made. Those of you who say this episode sucks, you're stupid, just stupid. It's not every day you see a show with a dog and baby getting on stage and singing with Frank Sinatra Jr. The stupidity (in a funny kind of way) of the plot in this story is exactly what I love and have come to expect from a show like Family Guy. The plot was original and entertaining. When new episodes of Family Guy come out in the future, I'd like to see more crazy episodes like this.
  • They couldn't make a whole episode out of Meg pretending to come out.

Although this episode was ultimately disappointing, the cut-away jokes are enough to make it (re)watchable. The subplot of Meg pretending to be a lesbian could have been milked for a little more material; the depth of treatment of the lesbian story-line seemed to reflect an uncharacteristic desire to attain a modicum of political correctness. My favorite joke in the episode was the caption on the Lesbian Alliance Club poster which read "SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY." MacFarlane seems to have an affinity for that euphemism for a certain taboo word, because Roger used it in the "Threat Levels" episode of American Dad.
  • Freakin, hilarious.

That episode was the best one I've seen in, I'd say... a month. It was pretty good and Stewie wanted to use a Mr. Potato Head Ear to replace his own. Peter having a weird dream about eating a sheep and you see a sheep half eaten on Peter's bedroom floor. There were so many funny and great moments in this episode, I can't remember them all.
  • iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

this show makes my heart sing like devils exploding in my pants from volcanoes erupting like millons of pimples popping on my face as i scream like paris hilton finding out she has a left nut like britany spears crying because nobody buys her cds anymore because they suck like a vacum picking up dirt on a filthy carpet like the police picking up drug dealers and hors in brooklyn like micheal jackson rapeing little kids at neverland ranch.
  • Not one of their finest... Family Guy at its worst.

This is one of the worst episodes of Family Guy I've ever seen. The whole plot came short and the spotlight turned more on Brian and Frank Sinatra Jr. when it should've been on Meg and her "Sexually Confused" friend. The episode also lacked in hilarious parodies within the episode, creepy... Overall, two thumbs way down on this episode, and I feel sorry for the people who just started getting into the series. This episode would've turned them off easy... i.e: I only gave it a +6.7 points only for Lois's lesbian kiss with Meg's friend. -3.3 because it overall sucked.
  • Family Guy has officialy jumped the shark.

After Family Guy came back from cancellation I always hoped for a stellar episode. However after every episode, Seth McFarlane continued to dissappoint. What is funny about Stewie being with the Rock. Peter Swimming with the bulls is not funny? Why does Mcfarlane do this crap in every episode. I hate musicals! The plastic ear in Stewie was definitely not funny. Where is evil Stewie, where is funny Peter, where is Meg getting murdered. I did not find anything humorous in this episode, as this is the first time I haven't laughed at an episode. American Dad and even Simpsons episodes this Sunday were better. So to end this review I say...

McFarlane, Burn in Hell
  • The New Rat Pack hits the small screen.

As a huge fan of Family Guy and The Rat Pack, this episode was incredible. Finally, after boring coworkers talking about Brian's line in the movie "How'd all these people get in my room?" justification is mine. Great show, as always, solid writing full of pop culture references. Lot's of great irreverent singing.
  • Best Family guy ever?.....

This was one of the best Family guy episodes that I have ever watched. The way they questioned the rocks skin color and the way they insulted John Goodman had me roaring with laughter. I didn't enjoy the whole "Brian has a problem part" but overal great show one of the best.
  • So many misses and few hits.

Jokes/Ideas that worked:
    The carebear suicide
    Actually making Meg a character instead of the butt of all the mockery.

Jokes/Ideas that didn't work:
    The Rock
    Thomas Edison
    John Goodman
    Jessica Alba

This show better turn around soon or I might just stop watching. I already passed on Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story. It's going downhill fast and that makes me a sad panda.
  • Great episode after the hiatus. Gotta love Stewie and his hilarious lines.

Stewie is priceless. Seth McFarland strikes again with Stewie's hilarious lines, especially the one involving the deer, the ear, and Mr. Potatohead. The plot seemed a little familiar, however, as it seems there has already been an episode where Brian wallows and has a crisis only to be saved by Stewie. The appearance of Frank Sinatra, Jr. was funny. The Meg story was also funny as it reminded my of the Family Guy movie when Meg becomes a man. I would like to see Meg have at least one friend, but I guess it really wouldn't be the true Meg then. I can't wait for the next episode!
  • crazy episode that didnt make too much sense but thats family guy...stewie is always priceless especially when he got his ear eaten by a deer haha that was hilarious...episode features brian's drinking problem yet again for the 100th time...some funny mom

crazy episode that didnt make too much sense but thats family guy...stewie is always priceless especially when he got his ear eaten by a deer haha that was hilarious...episode features brian's drinking problem yet again for the 100th time...some funny moments and some that made no sense whatsoever this definately wasnt one of the shows finest moments but stewie and peter always gives great performances... and the family's hatred for meg is getting to be too much but still funny haha Rate this episode on how you feel it stacks up against other episodes from this show. Ratings go from 0-10 with 10 being the highest.
  • "Ill just put this Mr.Potatoehead ear in its place" -Stewie Griffin

This episode was a very goo Family Guy episode it had everything you like from other Family Guy episodes like funny, good songs hilarious jokes and little plot twists that barely change the story but make it funnier. Just like when Stewie lost his ear and replaced it with a Mr.Potatoehead ear. But the main part of the show is Brian singing with Frank Sinatra Jr. and Stewie also joins in soon after they start singing together. But when Brian starts staying out late at parties and starts drinking more than he usually does he develops a drinking problem and almost misses a show when of course Stewie steps in to save the day. Of course the main part of this show is the music and that was one of the funniest parts of the show but mostly the songs where Stewie sings. This is another must see episode for any Family Guy fan!
  • Hmm.. what else is on?

This most recent episode of Family Guy in no way exhibited the great qualities I've come to expect out of Seth McFarlane every week. The plot (both plots, actually) was, for lack of a better word, boring. For an episode that focused mainly on Brian, we didn't get most of the clever dialogue and empathy that usually comes with his scenes. As for Meg's storyline, is anyone else just incredibly annoyed by her entire character? The personality, the history, and even the voicework are all so irksome that I wish they wouldn't devote episodes and stories entirely around her. Meg is a much better character in small doses. Now, all of these points would be moot if the jokes were amazing, which they weren't. I just didn't find myself laughing out loud very much at all throughout the half hour. For those reasons, I can't rate the episode higher than 4.
  • Made me laugh a lot.

This episode made me laugh a lot. The plot is that Brian has a near death experience after Peter hits him with a car. He develops a passion for singing, and starts to sing with Frank Sinatra, Jr. Meanwhile, Meg tells lies to some girls that she is a lesbian in order for them to accept her as their friend. They did great with the plot and side-plot, but I didn't find some things funny like Peter swimming with bulls and thought that some things, like Stewie hanging out with the Rock, were just there to fill time. But I did get a laugh out of Stewie ranting about his ear that was torn off by deer, the shot at John Goodman, the joke about Thomas Edison, and a lot of other things I can't remember at this moment. I didn't give this a superb because a lot of the episode was a musical, and I hate musicals. Seth can't really sing well, either, sorry. Brian develops his character in this episode. I'd watch it. Great jokes, plot, and character development.
  • An episode where Meg goes gay and Brian and Stewie become singing sensations with frank Sinatra Jr always makes a good episode and review

This episode was great filled with tons of jokes in and out of the scenes where Chris calls Meg the cable guy and where Peter throws Stewie across the room just classic scenes like that. I am not much of a music person but this episode made it work. In my opinion it wouldn't surprise me if meg and lois were both lesbians. I would have gave this episode a ten but i was lazy and gave it a 9.
< 1 2