A Family Guy Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on FOX

The chorus of "Oh my God! They killed Brian!" from Family Guy fans after the Griffin pooch was run over by a car and killed in the November 24 episode was immediately followed with the collective question, "But he's not going to stay dead, right?" This is a question that shouldn't be asked in real life (R.I.P. Muffy I still think about you every day!!!) but is easily asked in the world of television, especially animated television, especially especially animated television that takes place in a universe full of ridiculous physics with time machines and combative oversized chickens.

And the cat is out of the bag that the dog won't stay in the body bag. Spoiler alert for anyone who is totally gullible: Brian Griffin will return to Family Guy. And it probably won't just be in a scene where his lifeless corpse is poked with a stick by Chris. Entertainment Weekly broke the news that he would pop up again in the December 15 episode, but a late-October news story about Maya Rudolph guest-voicing a character who Brian has a fling with in a 2014 episode was all we really needed as proof that Brian wasn't going to stay dead (unless Rudolph plays some sick necrophiliac with a bestiality fetish). Well, that and common sense. 

As a stunt, Brian's death was met with anger and shock. Fans protested! Fans signed petitions! Fans "liked" things on Facebook! But I'm here to tell you that killing off Brian was totally radical and I applaud the Family Guy crew for pulling it off. Family Guy isn't just a cartoon, it's Family Guy. Rules don't really apply. The guy who created the series sang about tits at the Oscars. Momentarily killing a beloved character was a professionally played prank, it fits perfectly within Family Guy's essence, and most importantly, it worked. We're so connected to these characters after years and years of reruns that it had an emotional impact that catapulted the show to the top of everyone's news feeds that day. And because it's Family Guy, Brian doesn't have to stay dead. It's the perfect crime, really. I, for one, loved it.

But how will Brian come back? With Stewie's time machine dismantled and unfixable, how can he prevent what has already happened? The description for the December 15 episode includes this foreshadowy tidbit: "Meanwhile, Stewie comes up with a plan to get the one thing he wants for Christmas." Short of world domination, that one thing is likely getting Brian back. Here are a couple of ideas:

• Fix the time machine! He built it once, he can build it again. Then WAM POW ZAP it's back to just a few moments before Brian got run over, Stewie has him step to the left a little, and then everyone continues on with life like nothing happened.
  • Pet cloning! This is happening in the real world, guys. Like, dead pets are being cloned from tissue of the deceased and their psycho owners are paying big bucks for it. Maybe Brian will end up with a fifth paw or a dead eye, but cloning is real-world science that's happening now! I saw it on Orphan Black!
  • Pet Sematary! Notice the 'S' which is the most important detail of pet semataries. Anyone who is a fan of Stephen King knows that pet semataries are entirely real. All you do is bury your dead dog in a plot of a sacred Native American burial ground and voila! The next day you'll have your best bud Mr. Cuddlepants back in your loving arms. He might try to tear out your throat and be horribly disfigured, but such is the price of messing with God's way. 
  • Find Brian's twin! Fact: Dogs aren't born alone. They pop out of their mama dog with a bunch of other mutts, and sometimes those other mutts look and act exactly like another member of the litter. So Peter goes to Brian's breeder, grabs Brian's brother who was never adopted, puts a bow on him, and chains him to the Christmas tree. He's renamed Brian and everyone pretends that Brian I was never killed. This is also known as the Beerfest loophole. 
  • It was all a dream/psilocybin nightmare! What if everything that happened in "Life of Brian" never actually happened because Stewie had a nightmare after drinking too much warm milk? Or suffering a bad mushroom trip? Either way, let's hope "it never really happened" isn't the way the show brings Brian back. In fact, it's so silly let's forget I ever mentioned it.

How do you think Brian will make his big return?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/22/2016

Season 14 : Episode 20

150 Comments
Comments (150)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The last few episodes before brian got killed, was diffrent from all earlyer episodes..i was woundering if they had changed Directors..wery childish humor in the "story breakups sketches" i think all that was done on purpose, and then leading up to brians Death, to set fans mind on fire...and then this "how will brian Return" well i think they had gone dry on ideas, and wanted inputs from the fans, and they have got it:-)
Flag
Am I the only one that wants to see Stewie make a Dimensional machine instead of a time machine? He could go to an alternate dimension and steal their Brian, which could then allow for a TON of fun antics between the two worlds in future episodes. Plus there's the bonus of the idea not being dumb, like just building another time machine and being done with the whole thing....that would be so lame.
Flag
so we obviously completely ignored when stewie went into the future to get a toy at x-mas...and once the timeline caught up to that he stole the teleportation pad from himself and pushed brian out of the way of the car...
Flag
i think that Stewie will meet up with his past self (he went to the future to get the new games) and tell him how he can change it.
Flag
I think most notably though (and I've noticed this from reruns), but there were quite a few occasions where Brian almost literally died (some of which where Stewie had to kill him even). I think maybe some of those got re-aired lately on purpose but it's kind of interesting how much the show inadvertantly foreshadowed it :P .
Flag
Stewie will fix time machine. They will learn that Brian had to die when he did. Stewie & Brian will switch Brian's brain into Vinnie or dress Vinnie as Brian- either willingly or not. Brian & Stewie will run over the Brian/Vinnie & reg Brian either as himself or in Vinnies body will return to the future with Stewie
Flag
If the time machine ends up being the solution, then I'm curious what they'll do with Vinnie. If his death never happened, will that mean that Vinnie was never adopted? I could see Family Guy going the "Be careful what you ask for" route and showing how although we got Brian back, Vinnie died unloved and alone in a dog shelter.
Flag
Multiverse, anyone?
Flag
Stewie will wake up, go in the bathroom and see Bobby Ewing with Brian in the shower.

BTW: with Seth McFarlane I wouldn't be too surprised if they actually do the "Maya Rudolph plays some sick necrophiliac with a bestiality fetish"-thing. ^^
Flag
Personally hoping for it to be Stewie special, like with the 'Road To...' ones that Brian and Stewie do together.. Perhaps a good parody of a certain weak Trek film.. rather than Star Whars for once..
Flag
As a joke they should put The Simpson's dog Santa's little helper in his returning episode. And somebody says "Will you wait thanks to the internet everybody already knows we're gonna soon meet. Now go back to Springfield and wait!" Then he walks out the door whimpering.
Flag
I hope that the shock of Brians near death doesn't mean that the show jumps the shark. But I'm thinking Vinnie sacrifices himself somehow so that Brian can return.

Tim had a dog named Muffy:D
Flag
Well remember how in the episode Brian was killed Stewie mentioned how he had gone FORWARD in time to get the best Christmas toys early? It seemed like just a short gag, but it'd make sense and it'd be pretty smart if they actually turned that into how Brian returns. Present day Stewie runs into that Stewie who went forward in time to get the toy, then returns back in time with him using that Stewie's return pad to prevent himself from destroying the time machine and/or save Brian.

Maybe?
Flag
So, yeah. That's exactly right
Flag
Or simpler: he just warns that Stewie who went forward in time.
Flag
To annoy fans even more, they should have Brian's gay cousin Jasper move in and take his place for a while.
Flag
Jeez! People, the time machine isn't the only way to time travel, remember the episode when death brought peter and brian back in time?
Flag
I personally don't want Brian to return. I did like him in the early seasons, but he's become nothing but a political platform for Seth's views on politics. Not to mention he always talks down everyone's beliefs and ideals such as religion and doesn't care what woman he dates as long as he can bang her and they always end in failure anyway. I say keep Brian off Family Guy for good. He's not the same witty, dry humor, and voice of reason dog like he was in the early seasons and bringing him back would let Seth make him more of a political platform.
Flag
boooooooooo
Flag
Where's the option to say you hated the stunt but think he's going to come back? =X
Flag
Flashback episode and he's still dead. Or family guy writers have been replaced by the writers or glee and therefore logic and continuity doesn't really matter anymore in the scripts
Flag
DeLorean, enough said
Flag
Stewie pointed out that hit time machine can't be rebuilt because he is missing a vital component, but he still has access to the alternate universe device and could always bring a Brian back from another dimension. He did it once before, but that Brian got hit by a car, and i don't mean the same Brian from the Life Of Brian episode.
Flag
He could always get his vital missing component on ebay or amazon. They got everything.
Flag
Man... you know we're in the middle of the Holidays season, when there's less and less new contents on TV to talk about, when such an article pops out.
Flag
  1. Firstly, Stewie is basically an evil genius of super villain proportions- when he wants to be. All Seth MacFarlane has to do, is have Stewie build something to bring Brian back. It could be a new time machine, a portal, a cloning chamber or even a reanimation device.
  2. They could go to the ‘Supernatural’ for an explanation with a spell, voodoo, a deal with the Devil or a Miracle. We have met Death and Jesus before.
  3. Another thing to remember about Family Guy is that they are very prone to parody- Stewie could enlist the help of any fictional character or historical figure to ensure Brian’s return. (Some of my favourite possibilities would be- Dr Who, Doc Brown/Marty McFly, Einstein, Dr Frankenstein, anyone from Inception or a cross over with American Dad again)
  4. My personal favourite, as I love MacFarlane’s sci-fi take on the laws of physics and paradoxes etc. They could link Brian's return with the already established ‘Road to the Multiverse’ or ‘Back to the Pilot’ premises- where there are already different versions of Brian in existence. He could come from a timeline or multiverse where Stewie died instead of Brian or the time machine was not destroyed. Brian would then be back, just in a different incarnation. They could also have fun with it, make Brian essentially the same but with some new characteristics/ personality traits.
  5. Finally, they could cop out and just bring him back without much explanation at all or make it so that it never happened (Who shot J.R? comes to mind.) This, I have to say, is my least favourite possibility- Unless done right, I think that it would feel slightly like being cheated.
The main thing to remember about Family Guy though, is that it doesn't have to play by any rules at all. They could literally do anything. That’s what I love about Family Guy, animation and I suppose just fiction in general. And quite frankly, as long as they get rid of that cheap substitute Vinnie and bring Brian back, I’ll probably be happy no matter how it’s explained. I just have a soft spot for sci-fi and fantasy and personally hope that Stewie goes on an epic quest to get Brian back.
More+
Flag
They should just do it like south park when they killed off kenny

"oh hey brian, where were you"

I was over there.

"oh cool" *black screen*
Flag
Entertainment Weekly broke the news that he would pop up again in the December 15 episode,

Okay, good. So as I thought, McFarlane (like Pope Frankie) is a PR whore.

Dogs return from the dead (if only) and all is right with the world.

I wouldn't watch your show now on a bet, McFarlane. You suck pig balls after this stunt. Not to worry, there are millions of morons out there who will.
Flag
You're an angry little failed abortion, aren't you?
Flag
Woooooow.
Flag
Tim, you did not have a pet named "Muffy", right? Right? ... right? ... oh dear.

"Killing off Brian was totally radical", as a child of the '80s all I can hear is Spicoli's take on "radical!" when I read that, or is it Michelangelo's? And what ever happened to Phoebe Cates anyway, is being married to Kevin Kline that career-satisfying?

Pet Sematary is a dangerous game, it ruined Denise Crosby's career.

I hope they have the balls to keep Brian dead in the long term because it's just something different. But the answer is "Santa" - he brought Stewie plutonium, he can bring the tot just the right kind of capacitors to rebuild a time machine, or just bring him Brian from the ether. I dunno, I like the show but I don't get why people don't just roll with the punches either way. Shut up, consistance is for squares.
Flag
In a continuation of the ongoing Stewie/Santa storyline, Stewie will forgo his usual request of radioactive materials and ask that Brian be brought back to life for Christmas. Knowing Seth and Family Guy, there will probably be a cameo from Jesus.
Flag
I thought nothing of it at the time I assumed it was a joke ans he would be back the next episode, however the flurry of news stories about how the death was real and final.. did make me doubt My first instinct.

As for how ... how about stewie rebuilds him ....

He has the technology. He has the capability to build the world's first bionic dog. Brain Griffon will be that dog. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster hehe

Flag
You forgot one option in your poll. Leave him dead, he was the most irritating character on the show.
Flag
Brian chillin' in "doggy heaven" with Papa.Dog. G.O.D. making an appereance and sending him back with a mission.....
Flag
Why are you applauding this stunt and gullible peoples' reactions, Tim?
Flag
He was just playing dead. Who's dog can't do that?
Flag
Oh, good answer.
Flag
1. Brian will return as a force ghost like Yoda and Obi-Wan in Star Wars. He'll technically still be dead but be there in spirit form with only Stewie being able to see and hear him.

2. His death will be revealed to be a hoax orchestrated by Giant Chicken to get to Peter and he is being held hostage. He will be saved in a "The Protector" style scene like Seth Green used on Robot Chicken.

3. Stewie will call upon the great time travelers (Doctor Who, Doc Brown and Marty, Bill and Ted) to help save repair the time machine and save Brian.
Flag
No not Bill and Ted... RUFUS with telephone booth of course lol
Flag
Bill n Ted at first, but they screw up things then RUFUS comes in to fix their screw up along with doc brown n marty but they screw up things again then Doctor Who saves the day!
Flag
OK that works
Flag
I love Brian, he's easily my favorite character on the show. That being said, let him stay dead. Brian dying was one of the best scenes in the entire series. Don't cheapen it by turning around and bringing him back a few weeks later.
Flag
Brian's death was faked! The US government needed him for an important, diplomatically sensitive mission in rebel controlled territory in Canada. Two operatives went undercover as a married couple in a seemingly quiet suburb that is actually home to the ringleaders of the politically radical Canadian group "Please Can We Stop Being So Polite Party?" (Yes, question mark included). To cement their cover as a young professional couple they needed a dog... enter Brian!
Flag
So Terrance and Phillip are actually Americans merely posing as Canadians? Man, they sure got the look down pat.

Flag
They had elective facial floppyness surgery and patience chips implanted in their brains... but then they farted and got side-tracked by stardom.
Flag
I knew Brian the dog would be brought back..
Flag
I knew Brian the dog would be brought back..
Flag
Is everyone getting overhyped with the credits on the TV listings of the episode? Because Brian was listed on In Harmony's Way too. :P He's not coming back on the next episode, but maybe he'll be back in the Christmas episode. I don't believe it's true until we have official word on it.
Flag
As for how he'll be brought back, I'll say by time machine.

It's obvious that's what everyone else wants.
Flag
Nooooo. You mean like the Amazon Drone, Brian's death was a PR stunt?

Guess both Charlie Rose and Seth McFarlane are whores.

Imagine that.
Flag
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! /endofdiscussion
Flag
Umm.. You guys remembered they already brought the dead back to life? Remember James Woods?
Flag
And the fact they never explained how he got out of the box BOTH TIMES.
Flag
What a shocker!!!
Flag
i think it was just the writers way of trying to fuck with a story arc that lasts multiple episodes, but Family Guy isn't South Park so not sure it really works. Definitely a pull for ratings though
Flag
honestly, like when the Simpsons got ridiculously liberal I just flat out gave up on this show years ago so they can do whatever they want, the death of Brian was like a teenagers suicide attempt, a desperate cry for attention to see if people still care about this program. Is this a bit crude of a view, sure but I tell it like I see it.
Flag
Well, that's Seth McFarlane for you. Whore, just like Charlie Rose pushing the brilliant PR stunt of Jeff Bezo.

Whores, all of them.
Flag
I'm curious what do you mean by "ridiculously liberal"?
Flag
I mean i'm watching a flipping cartoon I don't feel the need to have the creators political views constantly shoved in my face, frankly it shows lack of creativity when you have to make so much of the show political.
Flag
"ridiculously liberal" (Colloquial): A term used by pseudo-intellectuals, to describe any American who votes Republican.
Flag
Nah, anyone who votes Republican is just an asshole.

See: meltdown of U.S. in 2008 by the biggest asshole of them all, George 'I killed 4500+ soldiers' Bush, led by the puppetmaster Dick (in the true sense of the word but his daughter hates him so that's good) Cheney.

Oh, and yes, Pope Frankie is a whore too.
Flag
dude Obama has done NOTHING but constantly lie about everything and has in less then 6 years increased the national debt by 70% even Bush in 8 years didn't increase it by that much. Also I seem to recall this "promise" Obama made to bring all the troops home within 18 months of getting elected the first time, well since then my friend is on his SECOND deployment over there, and his healthcare will force people to go in debt to pay for health insurance they can't afford even with the government paying most the bill which will further push this country into debt on a scale you and he clearly can't comprehend.
Flag
There are two distinct possibilities not in the poll: he comes back and his return is 1. explained with a hand wave or 2. not explained at all.
Flag
I think stewie from the future will build a time machine with the current recourses,grab Brian and drop him off in current family guy time.
Flag
He'll just simply appear in the shower like nothing ever happened. And Victoria Principal will be dumbfounded.
Flag
It's probably a holiday episode, so maybe Death gives Stewie a bone, or Santa Clause gives Stewie a miriccle.
Flag
the driver of the car that ran over brian was brian from another alternate universe and he goes back to his universe and explains to alternate stewie what he done and they go about in fixing it
Flag
While the "It was all a dream!" idea isn't the best, don't forget they've used a similar tactic with the Stewie Kills Lois/Lois Kills Stewie arc.
Flag
That was a VR simulation.
Flag
Oops, forgot about that, knew it was something similar, but it was still a "Just kidding guys!" type of thing, which is the exact same response you get from the "It was all a dream!"
Flag
Yup. They owned it too, they directly implied they were screwing with the audience in dialogue at the end of the episode.
Flag
I've watched the scene of Brian's hit and run over and over, and it looked like Brian's own Car hit him. I think there's a bit of (to borrow a term from Doctor Who) Timey Wimey stuff going on.
Flag
My thoughts exactly!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members