A Family Guy Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on FOX

Family Guy S012E06: "Life of Brian"

Is it me, or is this the deadliest November Sweeps in recent history? Over the last week or so, TV characters—major ones, not just supporting players—have been dropping left and right. First Person of Interest offed [spoiler]. Then Sons of Anarchy axed [spoiler]. Then Boardwalk Empire dispatched [spoiler]. And THEN Family Guy's beloved dog Brian got mowed down by a speeding car (and kicked in the head by a squirrel). It's too much!

I'm admittedly only a fair-weather Family Guy fan, but I was pretty shocked by the events of Sunday's "Life of Brian," and I imagine most others were, too. Brian's the show's best character! They can't get rid of him, they just can't. And now the Griffins already have a new dog? I don't know if I can handle it. 

Not that I'll have to; not only is Family Guy a cartoon, it's a cartoon with a time machine. And even though the main plot of "Life of Brian" revolved around the destruction of said time machine—it was a nice touch that Stewie couldn't get a part to fix it, because it made Brian's death "permanent," at least for the time being—I have no doubt that the clever canine will be back soon enough. But that doesn't mean I didn't feel real emotions during the scenes at the vet and at Brian's funeral, and for Family Guy, that's saying something. Losing a pet is awful, and seeing Stewie's lip tremble as the Griffins said goodbye at Brian's bedside kinda wrecked me. Plus, the burial was surprisingly poignant, with Peter delivering a remarkably touching eulogy:

The truth is, Brian wasn't just my dog. He was my best friend in the whole world. He was smart, he was loyal, and I guess what I'm trying to say is, he was like a brother to me, and I'm going to spend the rest of my life missing him.

I totally LOL'd at stupid Quagmire being on his phone, though. 

As for the new dog, Vinny (voiced by The SopranosTony Sirico), I'm assuming Stewie's first reaction to the Griffins' newest family member—"If this guy thinks he's sticking around, he's sorely mistaken"—was telling. And even though Vinny and Stewie did share that nice moment toward the end of episode, Vinny will never replace Brian. NEVER. 

So for now, I bid you a fond farewell, Brian Griffin—you'll be greatly missed. (Pls come back soon!)    

What did you think of "Life of Brian"? How many episodes do you think it'll be before Brian returns? How do you think he'll come back? (Because he WILL come back, right?)

117 Comments
Comments (117)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OMG VINNY KILLED BRIAN !

Flag
Being a huge fan of Family Guy the Brian Griffin's death was a sad news for me. Brian was one of the intelligent dogs on the television. Here are the surprisingly thoughtful moments when Brian Griffin’s story touched us. I am sure Family Guy fans will love it. http://bit.ly/19h5g4g
Flag
I've been watching this show for years now and it's one of my favorite cartoons (alongside Futurama. Oh yes, thanks for getting rid of that, too). I honestly think I'm not going to watch it anymore. I absolutely love the humor and all the sick jokes, but without Brian...it just sees pointless to watch. He was the best character, in my book. A high IQ AND all the dog instincts?! He was perfect. Regardless to say, his relationship with Stewie was by far priceless.
The whole death - burial scene made me cry like a little girl.
I haven't fully decided, but it's very likely this will be the last episode of Family guy I watch.
Flag
brian
Flag
brian
Flag
I don't believe Brian is gone, at first i thought it was his prius that actually struck him down in a time twist seeing as earlier he and Stewie were fixing mistakes in time. After inspection it was not to be however the fact no-one looked into the driver who killed Brian is oddly suspicious. I don't like the fact McFarlane tried to pull comedy points after the death, it doesn't seem right. Yes the show runs on black humour and is 'sick' at times, but it doesn't stop us attaching ourselves to characters. You don't see other shows offing characters if they can help it.
Bring back Brian Seth, Vinny is just not going to sit well. Coming from a true fan who has been with the show from the beginning.
If anyone take Meg:D
Flag
What the hell!
Flag
I think brian is coming back soon(better be or ill track down seth macfarlen and kill his family). I think stewie will use his time machine to go back in time, save brian and kill Vinny. i think brian is coming back because Family Guy has lost roughly half or 1000000 viewers because brian is dead.
/------------------------\
/ \
I RIP I
I BRIAN GRIFFIN I
I I
I I
Flag
Brian will be back by seasons end or this is Seth saying F' you to Fox for cancelling American Dad...there is no way the writers thought this was a good idea without some kind of scheme to go along with it cause Vinny is horrible lol
Flag
They cancelled American Dad (which is actually going to TBS) in order to bring in another Seth show. So I doubt he is saying anything to Fox with this.
Flag
then brian will be back IMO
Flag
Worst episode ever - Vinny stinks. Can't believe people support the death of Brian by giving good reviews.
Flag
Brian will be back. Episode titles are out for later in the season which have his name in them so yeah - expect about 6 episodes with "Vinny" and then Brian will be back. Mark my words.
Flag
Oh, little guy. The tears aren't comin'! The tears just aren't comin'!
Flag
can't believe they killed Brian. He was my favorite and is the shows best character
Flag
Who was driving the car who hit Brian? Quagmire!?
Flag
It was Vinny.
Flag
OH! That makes a lot of sense!
Flag
Maybe he's with Dexter, lumberjacking?
Flag
Publicity stunt by TPTB?

Seems to be working. It's bigger than the JFK re-re-re-assassination.
Flag
I haven't watched this in a few years, but Brian is the best and it would be very odd if they didn't bring him back. . . On the other hand. . . are they SERIOUSLY STILL making new episodes of this?
Flag
Fox LOVES Seth. Why I have no clue. They just do.
Flag
Killing off Brian was a really sad moment he reminded me of my bestfriend and i lost my best friend every time i seen Brian on tv it made me feel closer to my best friend and now that there both gone life is becoming really hard and i just hope they bring him back v.v
Flag
Killing off Brian was a really sad moment he reminded me of my bestfriend and i lost my bestfriend
Flag
Brian really was one of the best characters of the show, and I feel if you are going to kill him just make it permanent. They could always bring him back and I actually may want him back if Vinny ends up being a dud, which is kind of what I'm expecting. Who knows though, the loss of Brian gives more screen time toward Peter and Stewie the other two main characters that really make the show worth watching so I'm all for it, though it was a sad and yet still funny episode.
Flag
Judging by creator's interviews, I really don't think that Brian will be back, at least not permanently.
While Brian was my first guess when they said that they are going to kill major character I'm not sure how I feel. I guess I would be fine if it would have happened differently. I expected him to die from old age, not from some stupid car accident. And I really dislike this new dog, he is annoying and not funny at all. I think they should have waited at least till season finale to get a new dog.
On the other hand maybe this is some mindfuck from writers to confuse fans and gain ratings - Brian will be back and another major character will be killed off (Because they really said this summer - than one charcter will be killed off permenantly). Well, I guess only tme will tell.
Flag
Brian will be back. Sooner than later - about 7 episodes from now to be exact.
Flag
RIP Brian I loved you like my own dog. You will be missed. No giggidy...
Flag
I do watch and enjoy family guy but this is kind of sketchy ... The Simpsons have been saying for a while now that they will kill off a series regular character towards the end of the season and now Family Guy does it. I was genuinly surprised that they killed of Brian and they may even stick with it.. but can't for once Seth McFarlene be original?
Flag
Aren't animation shows produced several months in advance? I think they are, which means that The Simpsons are yet to shoot and record the episode in which they plan to kill off a major character, whereas Family Guy's has already aired. Chances are the Family Guy episode was completed sometime before The Simpsons announced their plans to kill of a major character, so in this instance, Family Guy are in no way copying The Simpsons.
Flag
Just to set things right. Family Guy has copied the Simpsons on many occasions. Fact. Secondly, The Simpsons have been promoting what's going to happen in this season since before May.
Flag
So, The Simpsons kill off a character and now Family Guy is forbidden to do so for fear of copying them? That's a stretch.
Flag
It might be a stretch when you look at just that, but Seth Macfarlene can't seem to do something completely original. This season, the Simpsons have been changing and they advertised that they will kill off one of their characters so Family guy goes ahead and kills off Brian. I like Family Guy and watched all episodes but I believe this is something that has a habit on keep happening.
Flag
No he can't
Flag
Not saying that the guy hasn't got talent or creativity, just the whole premise of family guy is solely based on The Simpsons. Structure and premise of the show and characters' traits. eg. Stewy trying to kill his mom (just like Maggie wanting to kill Homer) And Seth's other shows; American Dad and Cleveland show both have/had the same structure as family guy. E.g. Stupid dad, talking animal, etc
Flag
The sceptic in me is thinking surely he'll return soon enough, but all the media surrounding Brian's death is making it seem more permanent.

I don't really know how to feel. It was a bold move, which I always applaud from television series, but was it really necessary? I guess time will tell. I wouldn't call Brian my favourite Family Guy character, that honour goes to Stewie, but he's definitely the one I related to the most. And regardless of whether or not the character was a voice piece for Macfarlane's political views, I always found his discussion of currents events and other topical things gave the show a much needed depth and relevance amongst its often low brow humour.

All I can say is that it will be near impossible to replace him, and Vinny, while inoffensive, was not what I'm looking for in a replacement dog. Who knows how long he'll stick around.
Flag
lets give vinnie a chance :)

Flag
no
Flag
Hi hope Brian doesn't return... I prefer Vinnie!
Flag
I know it's a cartoon, but I don't like it...I guess I am biased based loosing two family pets in the past 20 months. BRING BRIAN BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
@Jen... he aint coming back girl...
Flag
stewie comes back next episode and makes the time machine and brings him back. FOR SURE!
Flag
I'm unsure which is the more pitiful position. That of the show runners currently butchering major cast members as fast & as ruthlessly as Oblamblam at a Pashtu wedding feast, or the 'fans' whining about said loss like professional mourners keening at an ancient Greek funeral .

The show-runners imagine that killing off a 'star' restores credibility to any show that is well beyond the vault over a great white. This 'termination' is meant to show that cliched network formulas just do not apply to this 'work of art' - the trouble is that post G.o.T. killing off a leading man is about as formulaic as it gets.

Somewhere on this site is a post I made alluding to the inevitibility of star slaughter becoming de rigeur for any TV show running short on original ideas but long on over-budget thespians, particularly a show which still hoped to score emmies galore to pad scripters & producers resumes for their next big gig.

As for the viewers. This is TV drama OK? It's not the real life or death stuff that is occurring right outside any viewer's door - so enjoy it for what it is, but please don't be actually caring about the tough spot which Clay, Carter or Brian found themself in.

In the case of Clay & Carter the actors who played them will undoubtedly go on to much bigger things, thanks in no small part to the roles that they have just had to kark it in.

But...what about Brian? What about Brian indeed, my good man! Brian who was without doubt the glue holding family guy together several seasons ago when the show was entertaining, had been written as Seth McFarlane's alter ego.
McFarlane who has made it plain he is desperate to get out from under the no longer fun to write show, has basically killed himself off.

Mercy killing or murder, if McFarlane is as happy with Brian's death as he claims, the death shouldn't cause all this pointless grieving.

I guess McFarlane figures that if he can't kill off Family Guy ,he may as well kill his connection to it, that way if the Fox network insists on continuing this now hackneyed piece of tripe, it should be a lot easier for Seth to exit stage left leaving the mess in the hands of the desperates, the scripters & mummers who believe they have no future anywhere else.
More+
Flag
I'd disagree that killing off leading characters has become formulaic, since it's still surprising, plus you'd be hard pressed to find majority of television series even contemplating undertaking such an act.

As for whether Brian death was an attempt from MacFarlane to distance himself from a creation he no longer cares for, or an attempt to grab viewers, or a legitimate attempt to keep things interesting and fresh for the show, who knows, but it's still a surprising occurance nonetheless.
Flag
Are you guys serious? I just looked at a site listing this season's episodes along with synopsis for most. Brian is featured in several more episodes this season. Why do you think the writers were so specific about a technical problem with the time machine? Soon, I think maybe during the Christmas episode, Stewie will find the part he needs.
Flag
I think you're right. Synopsis from the Christmas episode:

"When Carter Pewterschmidt cancels the annual Quahog Christmas carnival, because he hates the holiday, Peter must transform his father-in-law from a Scrooge into a hometown hero in order to salvage the event. Meanwhile, Stewie devises a master plan to get the one and only thing he wants for Christmas."

Gee....I wonder what THAT could mean.....
Flag
Agreed. I think this is the writers way of messing around with some sort of season arc
Flag
You all know Seth Macfarlane has stated in the past that he would have ended Family Guy a couple seasons ago but keeps doing it because people keep watching it and Fox keeps wanting it. He doesn't like having a show go on for too long. Maybe this is a way to get that?

Plus, the writer's stated that a big change was needed in a show without any changes. I always applaud shows that kill off major characters because it is always risky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That is why most shows do not go down that path though most do not need to.

Everyone just needs to calm the f*%& down and give the show a chance and see where it goes. If you don't like it, then fine, you'll stop watching it. It's as simple as that.
Flag
They said at Comic-Con they were going to off a major character, a family member, in a lasting way. Everybody assumed Meg at the time but now we have it: Brian, the witty and urbane talking dog, one half of the genesis of Family Guy, is gone.

Family Guy started in Seth MacFarlane's head as an oaf and his dog, "The Life of Larry" with Steve the talking dog, along with a supporting cast of wife Lois and fat son Milt (airplane pilot Quagmire also makes an appearance). When changed to Family Guy, Larry was fat and middle-aged, while Steve became smarter and more urbane, and all the characters were now drawn in the style of Garfield. But a guy and his dog, that was the origin of the whole thing, and now... well, now it's something different.

Change has been touched upon before: Diane Simmons and Muriel Goldman are both dead with lasting effects, Loretta Brown died in a very emotional way that has lasted, and the show hasn't shied away from the changes the characters have gone through over the years, even pointing out actor changes on Meg. But this one hits a little harder because Brian was a main character and just so obviously part of the core of the show.

For me, seeing the aftermath in the vet office was what did it for me, that hit home. Quagmire being on his cell sitting by his dadmom was priceless tho'.

Brian is definitely coming back in some capacity because of trailers for later episodes in this season and the next, as well as the crossover with The Simpsons, but honestly, I suspect they're going to have Brian's death resonate as long as they can get away with it. I'd prefer they stick to their guns on it, keep him gone, than ressurect him and cheat those emotions they stuffed into this.
More+
Flag
A part of me died inside with Brian..
I dare say that Most viewers tune in mainly for the Brian and Stewie-duo,
it's hard to argue their episodes are the best, regardless if they're enemies or best friends. And I do Not like the new dog, at all..
So unless they bring Brian back I'm gonna have a hard time watching the show.
Having said that, as other people already have noted, there Are indeed future episodes with Brian's name, and I for one believe there was more to their time travel than first appeared. Remember Brian was off-screen talking to some woman? My bet is she was some kind of priestess or something who had a vision/dream of Brian and foreTold him of his fate. Why and What that would entail I have no idea, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.
But since there wasn't really a joke in there I think it was a planted seed that will later come back into play.. What do you think?
Flag
I see the series getting cancelled in the near future...
Flag
"The show's best character." Really? We're talking about the one that told Meg god didn't exist because she was ugly? We're talking about the one that let child abuse play out in front of him just so he could get laid? We're talking about the faucet from which every drop of Seth Macfarlane's liberal disdain pours freely and frequently, and we're calling him the 'best' character? Really? Really?
Flag
yes, really.
Flag
So your favorite character is the one whom the show repetitiously touts as the voice of reason, even though he's horrible without being properly framed?
Flag
It is a comedy, not real life. The show made fun of everything and if you take it that seriously, I think you misunderstand that good comedy is both stupoid and brilliant at the same time.
Flag
Quality comedy comes from suffering, but a being a comedic narrative is no excuse to forego improper framing. If there's nothing in the narrative to suggest Brian is being framed as a terrible person, then we as the audience can only presume he's a terrible person on accident; we the audience cannot be expected to empathize with a character whose actions are morally reprehensible, yet not framed as such. Good comedy is difficult, but it can work. Be it base or witty, it is calculated: falling for the artifice and then using it as an excuse to forego properly critiquing a piece that has the stimulus to make morally horrifying ideas palatable is your mistake, rather than mine.
Flag
*forego proper framing.
Flag
*but it can work in many different forms
Flag
I think they should kep Brian dead until the Family Guy movie no matter if it takes 2-4 years would love that or else it will be like the lois killing stewie all over again
Flag
family guy is best when stewie and brian team up.
He better not stay dead!
Flag
Now if only they killed this show. *ZING* Like I said in the other thread, I don't think the shows been funny since season 3. The show has had funny moments or episodes since (like I mentioned Back to the Pilot and JT I'm looking for Big Fat) but the show has really nosedived between seasons 3 and 4 (when it came back in 2005) and it hasn't come back since. I don't think this stunt's going to affect the quality in a negative way, because most of the new episodes are at the complete bottom of the barrel for me to care.
Flag
I noticed that your profile pic is Barney from HIMYM. Speaking of shows that have sucked since Season 3... Family Guy isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still miles ahead of the crapfest that is HIMYM!!!!!
Flag
I am bummed that Brian died, but looking at this as an episode rather than the show in it's entirety. It was a great episode. Granted people don't turn to Family Guy for "drama" but this one was filled with much emotion. Is it the end of Brian? I doubt it. But it'll be fun to see in what direction they'll take the show.
Flag
i only watch family guy for stewie and peter
Flag
That people still care enough about the show to get upset by this is bad enough. That people genuinely think this is a permanent change, going so far as to rage and sign petitions, and not just a temporary measure to get people talking about a show that long ago became culturally irrelevent, is just laughably naive.
Flag
Astute observation. Cruel, but astute. If only people cared about other people so much.
Flag
It's funny to hear so many people getting bent out of shape over it. Especially the ones who don't watch it regularly anymore XD
It was obviously a good move. I only occasionally watch the late night re-runs myself, so I bet at some point in the middle of the night I'm gonna see a re-run episode where stewie clones brian from old DNA & there's like, a dozen of them running around and stewie having to spend the rest of the episode brutally killing off 11 of them in order to keep just one.

That's what I'd do if I were employed by the show. It just seems like the most Sethy thing to do :)
Flag
im upset, pullin this shit for sweeps. screw you family guy
Flag
Don't worry everyone, stewie will build his time machine next episode and everything will back like nothing happened, every episode I lose interest in this show, it use to be the best cartoon show I ever seen but the last couple seasons weren't that good or interesting, I am sorry to say that, but it had to be said......
Flag
Im sick rt now just plain ole sick
Flag
I just teared up over an article for a freakin cartoon. I only watch Family Guy when it comes on Adult Swim, but knowing now that Brian dies doesn't make me want to watch at all anymore.
Flag
I do not know what to say, I have been watching this show for as long as it has been on the air and Brian was the best character. The Brian/Stewie episodes are the best and I am just not sure I can keep it going if he is gone permanently. I will watch and see where it goes, it is not like I don't find other parts funny, but I am not sure Vinny is the best fit. I had really hoped Meg was the one to go, she makes for occasional good comic relief, but episodes that focus mostly on her are the worst. Between this and POI, bad week for good characters.
Flag
I would have accepted if it's Meg but Brian? I really like Stewie and Brian chemistry. I'm not sure if I will still watch.
Flag
I thought they would have killed off Meg or Chris, but Brian.....no. I haven't watched Family Guy in 4 years and this wont bring in or back viewers, if anything this was a publicity stunt to get people talking about Family Guy again, because any time a show kills off characters people start working case in point all the shows this week that killed off major characters and of course Game of Thrones
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members