A Family Guy Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on FOX

Family Guy S012E06: "Life of Brian"

Is it me, or is this the deadliest November Sweeps in recent history? Over the last week or so, TV characters—major ones, not just supporting players—have been dropping left and right. First Person of Interest offed [spoiler]. Then Sons of Anarchy axed [spoiler]. Then Boardwalk Empire dispatched [spoiler]. And THEN Family Guy's beloved dog Brian got mowed down by a speeding car (and kicked in the head by a squirrel). It's too much!

I'm admittedly only a fair-weather Family Guy fan, but I was pretty shocked by the events of Sunday's "Life of Brian," and I imagine most others were, too. Brian's the show's best character! They can't get rid of him, they just can't. And now the Griffins already have a new dog? I don't know if I can handle it. 

Not that I'll have to; not only is Family Guy a cartoon, it's a cartoon with a time machine. And even though the main plot of "Life of Brian" revolved around the destruction of said time machine—it was a nice touch that Stewie couldn't get a part to fix it, because it made Brian's death "permanent," at least for the time being—I have no doubt that the clever canine will be back soon enough. But that doesn't mean I didn't feel real emotions during the scenes at the vet and at Brian's funeral, and for Family Guy, that's saying something. Losing a pet is awful, and seeing Stewie's lip tremble as the Griffins said goodbye at Brian's bedside kinda wrecked me. Plus, the burial was surprisingly poignant, with Peter delivering a remarkably touching eulogy:

The truth is, Brian wasn't just my dog. He was my best friend in the whole world. He was smart, he was loyal, and I guess what I'm trying to say is, he was like a brother to me, and I'm going to spend the rest of my life missing him.

I totally LOL'd at stupid Quagmire being on his phone, though. 

As for the new dog, Vinny (voiced by The SopranosTony Sirico), I'm assuming Stewie's first reaction to the Griffins' newest family member—"If this guy thinks he's sticking around, he's sorely mistaken"—was telling. And even though Vinny and Stewie did share that nice moment toward the end of episode, Vinny will never replace Brian. NEVER. 

So for now, I bid you a fond farewell, Brian Griffin—you'll be greatly missed. (Pls come back soon!)    

What did you think of "Life of Brian"? How many episodes do you think it'll be before Brian returns? How do you think he'll come back? (Because he WILL come back, right?)

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/17/2015

Season 13 : Episode 18

113 Comments