Family Guy

Da Boom

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 26, 1999 on FOX

• My favorite episode.

This episode is flawless.
  • Superb

Peter, who is concerned that the world is about to end because of Y2K, convinces the family into canceling all their New Year's Eve plans. After bombs destroy everything, the Griffins set off to a Twinkie factory in Natick. I think this episode was superb. My only problem is that it got boring towards the end and Peter using a gun policy seems pretty dumb imo. Other than that, I enjoyed the episode's plot. I liked/laughed the chicken part, cameo, Peter pushes Lois to the basement after asking her she's pregnant, the Y2K occurs, the mutant rat approaches Joe, Cleveand and Quagmire mixed up, Stewie having octopus arms, Stewie taking Brian's food, Peter making New Quahog, and the ending. Overall, a superb but a bit dramatic episode of Family Guy. 9/10
  • Much better than the last episode.

Very funny,and a great plotline. I don't wanna spoil the ending but it doesn't matter how it turned out this is still a great episode.
  • Perfect... Just Perfect

Peter, who is concerned that the world is about to end because of Y2K, convinces the family into canceling all their New Year's Eve plans. After bombs destroy everything, the Griffins set off to a Twinkie factory in Natick. I thought that this was a perfect episode of "Family Guy". There were a lot of humor for me to give me a good laugh and I really thought that the storyline was well thought out and brilliant. I've seen this episode like 6 times and it's still great to watch. The parts that did make me laugh was the cutaway with Peter fighting with the chicken, Peter telling the rabbit "Silly Rabbit, Trix Are For Kids", the guy in the chicken suit warning Peter about the end of the world, Chris saying "Run, E.T., Run" and then you see E.T. run, Cleveland and Quagmire having their bodies together, Joe being stuck in the ground and then a giant rat comes to attack Joe along with Joe yelling to the rat "Bring It On", Stewie having tentacles, Randy Newman making the song about Lois eating the apple, and the very ending with that dude saying "What's Family Guy?" and then he looks at the camera. So yeah, I loved the humor but I also loved the storyline to this episode... it just had a creative process that Seth MacFarlane did a well done job on. I also loved that Peter made the Natick now be called New Quahog. Overall, an excellent episode of "Family Guy" that is just worth watching to all fans. 10/10

Note: mahesh2001 requested me to review this episode
  • One of the best of Season 2.

What I liked- the Trix rabbit, the giant chicken, the giant rat, peter eating a year's worth of food, Stewie slapping Brian over the waffle, Stewie as an octopus, when the horse is a doctor, the baby Stewies that attack the town

Overall, a PERFECT episode.

10/10 A+

• One of my favorites

This is one of my favorite episodes. When Y2K happens, The griffins are one of the few survivors, along with Joe attached to the ground, Quagmire and Cleveland fused together(Quagland), and Randy Newman who sings what he sees. The Griffins decide to go to Natick to get food from the Twinkie factory,but they start a new colony called New Quaghog, with Peter as their mayor.

This was a great episode. There was so much humor, like the Y2K scene where everything goes wrong. I also loved all the random jokes, like the chicken fight, ET and the Stewie octopus people.

Overall Grade: 100%/A+++
  • Party Over Here!

This episode was the funniest episode of Season 2!
    I know that Y2K isn't true, they make sound hilarious!
    My favorite part of this episode was the part where Peter was trying to convince Lois, Chris, Stewie, and Meg to hide in their basement by the end of the day.
    A quote from this episode that will make me remember this is, "Hey Peter, a balloon tied to a mailbox is an international symbol for 'Party Over Here!'"
    This episode deserves a 9/10! No doubt an episode that'll never be forgotten.
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ~
  • Probably their best

This is an incredibly interesting episode of Family Guy, and whilst it wasn't all that funny, in some places it was, and the plot was great. I think this is possibly Family Guy's best episode. Maybe I am overreacting, but it was such a nice pace. There weren't too many sexual/racist jokes or anything to that caliber, and it actually had me wanting to see how it would turn out, unlike some other episodes. My overall grade would be about an A, and I would recommend it to people who want to become fans of this show, or to people who already are fans
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the family guy show peter goes an heres from a chicken that y2k is happening and he goes home and has his family go down in the basement to get protected and they got to wear toxic chemical suits to protect them thing is they dont belive peter and thing is it really happened the town was in ruins and people were hur joe was in the ground and clevland and quagmire were fuzed togeather as one. and peter goes to make a new town and he does at the tweenky factory and then stouie ahs baby qutopuses and thing is the people dont got the guns that peter wanted and they get killed and peter goes with his family headed to the carvel factory. this was a good ep
  • Chicken... gave me a bad coupon!

There are many things that could have bugged me about his episode enough to give it a bad review such as the annoying ending, the overplayed chicken scene and Randy Newman's singing but this episode is definitely a classic.

I actually thought the giant chicken was hilarious but the most famous cutaway went on for far too long. Y2K was a brilliant plot and Peter actually being right about it was great as was their search for the twinkee factory and Stewie being an octopus.

If not for the ending, this episode would be a perfect score but it definitely is worth watching.
  • probably what would of happend if y2k was real

if it was real nuclear missles would dystroy most of the major cities in the world resulting in world peace but also a world hunger crisis. now onto the review XD

Peter learned about y2k from a chicken mascot costume and decides to prepare for it. the family however doesn't believe in it and watn to go to joe swansons party. Peter tricks stewie meg chris and brian into going down stairs and pushes lois down the stairs. just before most people were killed bill clinton squeezes hilary's boobs and at a military base there are lights on the screen that spell happy new years which actually turn out to be missles. a plane boat and train all crash in front of the house and peter asks if anyone else felt that. Quagland/ Clevmire quagmire fused to clevland they never decided on the official name stop over the next day to see if the griffins have anything to eat but peter already finished eated all the freeze dried food. they look for food in town but theres nothing left. they smell someone grilling but it turns out to be tom tucker and diane simmons are eating asian reporter trisha takanawa. peter remembers that he saw a documentary that said twinkies can survive a nuclear apocolypse. so they go in search of a twinkie factory. peter estabilishes a city there but stewie fell in a puddle of toxic waste and mutates into nothing but a head with an octopus body. after peter gets his family kicked out stewies eggs attack everyone in the new city and they all die.
  • Y2K!

This episode was so out of this world! The beginning of the chicken fight with Peter, which continues throughout the series, this episode was so weird, there was definite plot development, The memorable moments is in which Lois eats the apple & that guy narrates her life & it's so annoying, they rather go away. Another memorable moment is in which it shows a flashback of the city people & their jobs. The chicken fight of course. Just when you think Family Guy will never be the same again, you find out is was a dream from live action people. A very memorable episode.
  • I didn't like the "This episode was only someone's dream" thing, but I guess it was good in some parts

7.2
    Probably one of my least favorite episodes in the history of Family Guy but for being the worst, I still kind of liked it.
    "Da Boom" was the "never happened" episode of Family Guy and funniest; was when Stewie became a squid, what the hell was that all about? And producing millions of them didn't help, but I got a good laugh from it. Next, the end of 20th century was a classic to never forget and then the year 2000 bringing much trouble to the planet earth.

Now for my favorite part; this was the first episode that contained Ernie the chicken!!! He rules, and the first fight was something extremely great to remember. So crackable, as in: "What a crack-up!".

The end was so strange and I mean strange, you wouldn't expect for the whole world to become so damn crazy -- then my hated part which in my opinion; Ruined the episode. This was all somebodies dream, except for that amazing chicken fight. So overall, such a hilarious episode that could have been awesome if only it was REAL. So it was out my league, but the chicken fight which did actually happen was two words: "A Classic".
    Decent episode...
  • Hey Quagland/ Clevmeir

No that line was funny. A total combianation of Celevland and Quagmeir. Now, the ending. That woman talked about Family guy and, he udders, "Who's Stewie?" Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! And, Stewie becomes an octopus. Thank goodness this was a dream. You know this episode was about Y2K like that Spongebob episode. But why did Family guy season 1 only have 7 episodes? That makes-a no a sences! And, Twinkies never go bad. I learbned that in 4th grade. That twinkies never go bad. And, what's great about this is the giant chicken. "Sorry sir, this coupon is past it's expiry date." Then, they rumble!
  • The one where Peter freaks out about Y2K except it actually ends up happening. The family travels to find a twinkie factory in search of food and founds a new society.

This is one of the first episodes of Family Guy that I ever watched. It got me hooked. It is so hilarious. I especially like the part with guy playing the piano that keeps narrating everything they do. It reminds me of the episode where Peter has a flashback about when he tried to narrate his own life and the one where Peter hires Michael McDonald to sing back up vocals to everything that they say. I also like this episode because Mila Kunis does Meg's voice. I like her a lot better than who ever it was that did it before her.
  • This episode marks the first appearance of Ernie the Giant Chicken

This epsidoe is a fantastic classic not just because of the great story and funny gags and refences but because This episode marks the first appearance of Ernie the Giant Chicken (who is unnamed in this episode). The fight is started by Peter after he tries to use an expired coupon that the chicken gives him outside a restaurant. While the story in "Da Boom" is outside the continuity of the series, Peter's feud with the Giant Chicken became a running gag seen in regular episodes.A man in a chicken suit warns Peter about the dangers of Y2K. Peter locks his family up in their basement on December 31, 1999. A nuclear holocaust occurs at the stroke of midnight, destroying much of the world and mutating or injuring many of the surviving citizens of Quahog. The Griffins remain free from mutations but Joe is melted into his driveway, while Quagmire and Cleveland have merged.

When food runs out (Peter ate a years worth of de-hydrated food pellets and takes a sip of water), the family travels to Natick, Massachusetts, in hopes that the Twinkie (spelled "Twinkee" on the show) factory survived. On the way, Stewie is exposed to nuclear waste and soon mutates into an octopus-like creature. He later lays eggs. Upon their arrival at Natick, they establish a town, dubbed New Quahog. Their starting food supply is the twinkee factory that was protected by a rock formation. Because it was Peter who knew about the factory's existence and led everyone else here, he is permitted to become the head of the town's government. Joe, Quagmire, and Cleveland join him to form a ruling council. Despite their advice, Peter makes several disastrous mistakes, most notably by giving the citizens careers by having them draw one out of a hat. The last straw is when Peter tears up the city's water irrigation system in order to use its pipes to make guns, outraging the citizens.

Peter is eventually kicked out of the town he founded, and his family follows him, deciding where they should go next: a Carvel factory in Framingham, Massachusetts. Meanwhile, the citizens burn the guns while Stewie's spawn hatch. They attack the citizens, some of whom comment on the irony of the situation.

The episode ends in a live-action parody of a famous episode of Dallas, where Pamela Barnes Ewing wakes to find her husband Bobby in the shower. She tells him about the episode, which was apparently a dream, thus retconning the entire episode. This parodies the famous Dallas shower scene, where an entire previous season of Dallas was retconned as a dream. Although after she tells him about the dream, he says "What's Family Guy?"
    Oh my God, the government is here! Run, E.T., run!
    The suit Peter was wearing was similar to the suits the government officials were wearing while they were chasing E.T. in the classic film by the same name. My fav refrence is
  • Wow...just wow.

This episode, well, I said it once I'll say it again: Wow. . . just wow. It was amazing, and it was hilarious, ad I don't get who could not like this cleverly plotted episode.

My absolute favorite part would have to be when ( Well, I forgot the name, but...)when the guy who sings whatever you do appeared. That was pure Family Guy comedy, and how everyone left because of him. I was laughing so hard when he was saying what Lois was doing, "Picks an apple from the tree!" and all those hilarious lines. Still laughing from them, and the whole plot was great- and the ending, that made me laugh.

10 out of 10.
  • An insanely funny episode!

Peter believes that the world will end because of Y2K, but it actually happens. Now, Peter and the family travel to a Twinkie factory, and also attempt to make a city. Peter becomes mayor, but fails his role and that gets the new city to turn against him and his family.

This episode also includes funnier scenes then never before! When Peter is dressed up in the strange suit, Chris thinks that the Government was here and calls E.T and tells him to run!
    Also, The first Giant Chicken fight is featured here, and it still continues on in later episodes.

This episode is my personal favorite and I think it is the best there ever was yet! 10/10
  • On New Years Eve, 1999, Peter goes out to get some party treats and finds out from a guy in a chicken suit that the world as we know it is going to end at midnight because of the Y2K syndrome that will crash all computers. Then the fun begins...

This episode first aired 12/26/1999 and was probably the best send up of the Y2K scare ever. Seth MacFarlane, etal. were at their very best with one hilarious scene/line after another. If I were to recommend one episode to someone in an effort to swing them over to watching Family Guy, this would probably be the one. From the on-going 'Chicken Fight' through references and allusions to urban myths, Lord of the Flys, Truman Capote, Rosie Perez, Randy Newman, the Founding Fathers and finally the completely off-the-wall, totally unforeseen, Dallas 'Dream Sequence' this episode had it all. Sorry I'm late on reviewing this one, but with the writers' strike just ending and (supposedly) 13 more new episodes debuting in the near term, I thought this would be a good time to recruit new viewers by 'Clockwork Oranging' them to a chair and making them watch this show. I gave it a 9.9 in honor of the 1999 air date.
  • Another Family Guy episode that is worthy of your time to watch this hilarious masterpiece.

A costumed man warns Peter about the dangers of Y2K. Peter locks his family up in their basement on December 31, 1999. A nuclear holocaust occurs at the stroke of midnight, destroying much of the world and mutating or injuring many of the surviving citizens of Quahog. The Griffins remain free from mutations but Joe is melted into his driveway, while Quagmire and Cleveland have merged.

When food runs out (Peter ate a years worth of de-hydrated food pellets and takes a sip of water), the family travels to Natick, Massachusetts, in hopes that the "Twinkie" factory survived. On the way, Stewie is exposed to nuclear waste and soon mutates into an octopus-like creature. He later lays eggs. Upon their arrival at Natick, they establish a town, dubbed New Quahog. Their starting food supply is the twinkee factory that was protected by a rock formation. Because it was Peter who knew about the factory's existence and led everyone else here, he is permitted to become the head of the town's government. Joe, Quagmire, and Cleveland join him to form a ruling council. Despite their advice, Peter makes several disastrous mistakes, most notably by giving the citizens careers by having them draw one out of a hat. The last straw is when Peter tears up the city's water irrigation system in order to use its pipes to make guns, outraging the citizens.

The episode ends in a live-action parody of a famous episode of Dallas, where Pam Ewing wakes to find her husband Bobby in the shower. She tells him about the episode, which was apparently a dream, thus retconning the entire episode. This parodies the famous Dallas shower scene, where an entire previous season of Dallas was retconned as a dream. Although after she tells him about the dream, he says "What's Family Guy?".
  • Don't get coupons from giant Chickens

This is without a doubt my favourite episode of Family Guy.

The Chicken is a milestone to the show, giving it pizazz and randomness. This is why it is the most random show ever.
    Peter was great in this ep. Making the whole family move to Natick was a bright idea for him even though he is supposed to be retarded. Stewie's transformation was just random too. The only thing I didn't like is the ending, that didn't stand out and it was just stupid.
  • A brilliant episode, to be keeped in the best of family guy.

The chicken fights begin when peter finds out that his newly given coupon was expired. At the time nobody knew that most seasons there would be a famous chicken fight! E.T stars in it being chased by the Goverment which is a good factor to the episode. When nobody belived peter he took them to his neclear shelter, which was filled with food and water. WE see Quaqmire and Cleveland stuck to gether like neclear freaks but with Quagmire being the same perverted self. When they make a city after a big search, jobs get given in the funniest way ! After Peter gets thrown out of his own town the family is left to wander around.
  • the funniest

this episode rocks the chicken was really funny and peter was all like we're gonna die and all this random funniest things especially when they eat that asian chick and when they went to the factory of twinkies also peter was the mayor and when everyone hates him the stewie aliens attacked the people is really funny you must watch this
  • We got a fine episode here!

7.8
    This episode is great!! I love it so much, it's in my top ten, first off we've got the great/first/unexpected chicken fight, which had me laughing forever, then we have Quagmire and cleveland being stuck togethor, then Quagmire first starting to like Loretta, when he watches them both have sex, then Stewie changing into a octupus alien and then we have classic live action ending, to a movie I am not aware of, lol, This is truly a great episode, and is rarely mentioned to me for some strange bizzaro reason. Anyways I love this one. Season two you brought us so many classics!!!!!!
  • The beginning of a series of battles between Peter Griffin and the unanimous chicken.

The new millenium is approaching, and the Griffins, instead of celebrating it over at Quagmire's house, are stuck in their basement paranoid of the "Y2K" frenzy that has people purchasing loads of food to preserve their life as long as they can. It seems as if Peter was right, and the Griffins are roaming around the country for a fabled Twinky Factory that Peter predicted to have survived. They built a community around the Twinky Factory, but due to Peter's action as mayor of constructing guns, he was kicked out of the town.

The first half of this episode was pretty hilarious. Consistent laughter literally every 30 seconds. The fight between Peter and the chicken was also pretty entertaining to watch. Fast paced action with epic music being blasted in the background, and the Trix are for Kids reference was hilarious. The second half of this episode wasn't as great though. There were still some good moments to laugh at, like Stewie turning into an octopus, and the irony of the town destroying the guns, whom were later raided by aliens, but the scenes such as the Twinky boy and Randy Newman were pathetically boring and dumb.
  • Best Family Guy episode ever.

Y2K is approaching. Peter is absolutely convinced that the world is going to come to an end, his family however, suspects that he is an idiot. Sure enough, when the clock strikes midnight, all Hell breaks loose. Peter and his family must now relocate in order to survive.

Without doubt, this is my favorite Family Guy episode of all time. The storyline is very well written and packed with jokes. The entire episode leaves you in suspence as to what will happen next. Also, you will be thinking, "How in the world can they end this episode?," well the ending might have been just as crazy as the whole show. This is a must see.
  • At the end of 1999 Peter learn that the world is going to end, and then it does... sort of. After the apocolipse the family sets out to find food and a new place where to survive.

This episode has some of the characteristic jokes of the whole series. The chicken fight is non sequitor and funny, a thing not often seen in most shows, but is what is great about Family Guy. This episode is diferent because of the end of the world. The quest to the twinky factory is funny and provides much amusement to people around the real Natick and the constant questions about whether thaere is a twinky factory (there is not). The ending is also great becuase it comes out of left field too. The reference to Dallas and the fact that that was a dream makes sense that the show can go on as usual and just chalk up this episode tob being a dream too. But it is done in a great way. One of the best in the series.
  • Chicken fight rocks!!

A man in a chicken costume triggers a lengthy flashback of Peter fighting a giant chicken who gave him an expired coupon. The costumed man warns Peter about the dangers of Y2K. Peter heeds the warning and locks his family up in a bomb shelter on December 31, 1999. A nuclear holocaust occurs at the stroke of midnight: Joe Swanson is partially embedded in his own driveway and Kevin gets vaporized. Glenn Quagmire and Cleveland Brown merge into one body (Clevemire/Quagland), and Asian Reporter Tricia Takanawa is eaten by Tom Tucker and Diane Simmons. Only the Griffins, due to being in radiation suits, are free from mutations or abnormalities. The chicken fight was so hilarious!!
  • Lets all go to the Twinky factory!

A fanatstic season premiere. There were at least a dozen jokes where i just couldn't stop laughing, Mila Kunis was fantastic as Meg and overall the animations just all seemed better.

One of my favourite jokes from the episode was when Peter ate all the dehydrated food and said "im full" and then drank a glass of water and grew double his size. I could not stop Laughing.

Even though I wasn't alive when it was on, the end was still pretty funny as a refernce to Dallas. I found the whole idea of going to the Twinky Factory for food hillarious and the flashbacks to Twinkys life crack up.

I could finally stand Megs voice. Mila Kunis did such a better job than who ever was Meg before and I started to actually like her character.

Overall a refreshing start to the season.
  • Funny, Very Funny!

This was a terrific season premiere! Not only were there a dozen jokes where i just couldn\'t stop laughing, Mila Kunis was fantastic as Meg and overall the animations just all seemed better.

One of my favourite jokes from the episode was when Peter ate all the dehydrated food and said \"im full\" and then drank a glass of water and grew double his size. I could not stop Laughing.

Even though I wasn\'t alive when it was on, the end was still pretty funny as a refernce to Dallas. I found the whole idea of going to the Twinky Factory for food hillarious and the flashbacks to Twinkys life crack up.

Overall a refreshing start to the season.
< 1 2