Family Guy Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

General Family Guy Complaint Thread - Post Your Grievances Here

fishzone

[1]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 43
    In order to clean this forum up more, from now on, any complaint you have with the show, anything that you have to get off your chest, can go in this thread. There is no need to have 4 or 5 (or more) threads on the same topic.

And to those that complain about the complainers, if you don't want to hear the complaints, or if you don't agree with them, then just stay out of this thread, and you won't have to deal with them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tom_light

[2]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 1

I just think that "Family Guy" is totally brain-dead lately -- well, since FOX brought it back it seems. "South Park" did a great job at pointing out how rediculous that this show can be most of the time -- I thought that the first season had much stronger and funnier references to pop culture where now it is just plain stupid.

Stewie: "Remember that time that Mother Theresa OD'd in the back of my car?"  This makes absolutely no sense, (yeah, in a bad way).

I also hate it how our lobotomized youth embrace this show as "cutting edge" -- "The Critic" was doing this stuff way before "Family Guy" and in a much more clever manner, might I add.

drewshack

[3]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 47
    tom_light wrote:
    "The Critic" was doing this stuff way before "Family Guy" and in a much more clever manner, might I add.
    Man...I LOVED that show. Yet another of FOX's cancellation catastrophes...

tvwatcher80005

[4]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    There are far too many stupid flashbacks in the new episodes.

jimbo_001

[5]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 56

Okay, I have no idea how long this post will be but feel free to ignore it if it's ten paragraphs.

I loved the first three seasons and Family Guy is one of the few cartoons I watch, other than South Park, Simpsons and Futurama as I am bsically a live action fan (Scrubs is the best show). But I liked seasons 1-3 because it mixed both clever humour with stupid humour, but the stupid moments were generally cleverly written aswell, such as two in a row at the dog track (Chris: Dad, where are the jockeys? Peter: They're in the wash son. I'm going indian today) and the flashbacks were usually very funny and only one or two an episode so the plot is still the main feature. Most of the characters were original (except Peter), especially my favourites, Quagmire and Stewie.

Okay, now that I've confirmed that I am in fact a Family Guy fan, I feel I am free to now piss off half the new fans by posting my opinion on the new episodes (I do not mean to change anybody's opinion, I am just expressing my own):

The Plots: I was extremely excited when I heard FG was coming back as I felt it was cancelled in its prime. However, now I wish that it wasn't brought back so my memory would be of a classic show and if season 4 as it currently is aired immediately after the third season, then I would understand cancellation then and would actually encourage it and do now, which is something I've never done over another show that I'm a fan of. After the first few episodes of denial, I realised I was laughing at moments that weren't funny and were just expected to be so I tried going through an episode and seeing how many times I genuinely laughed and realised that it was much less than the first seasons and the fourth season progressively got worse. One of the reasons was the plots, or lack thereof. Each episode was now 50% flashback scenes, few that were actually funny, and the other 45% were random events that made FG famous but were absolutely overloaded, and only 5 or 10% was a barely visible plotline and half the plots weren't even entertaining (Patriot Games, Brian Goes Back to College, Perfect Castaway...)

The Characters, i.e. the main reason. Characters that I knew and loved have become mere shadows of their greatness and have been severely dumbed down. Stewie was once a brilliant character, evil with a subtle feminine side which made him funnier and more two dimensional but he now is a flat out homosexual, and gay jokes are simply not funny. There are gay people in the world and Stewie being one doesn't make him funny - and after writers heard that people didn't like new Stewie they tried to force evil into him, like when he attacks Brian in Patriot Games, which was originally funny, until he did it a second time and more exaggerated when in earlier seasons it came naturally. Peter has gone from stupid to retarded and childish which is just terrible, since at least before he was occasionally funny. Meg has gone from being a gullible, ignored character to the butt of all jokes and Peter blaming Meg for a car accident or ignoring her comments is a lot funnier than Peter abusing her. Chris has gone from a hilarious moron with a talent for painting to basically absent. Worst of all, my favourite character Quagmire has gone from a terrific pervert with clever double entendres to a nut that does crazy songs and dances whenever he makes a silly remark. Characters that were barely funny the first time like Herbert, Vaudeville Guys and Evil Monkey are now almost main characters which is horrible since with them it is the same joke over and over.

The jokes: Even though the fourth season started with a few good moments, the episodes have gotten more and more poor to the point that they're either predictable, make no sense or are too stupid to laugh at.

There are only 5 great episodes in all 27 episodes of the fourth season and that's the same amount as the 7 episode season one. The new episodes have their moments but definitely not enough to keep me entertained.

mitu123

[6]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 14
    jimbo_001 wrote:

There are only 5 great episodes in all 27 episodes of the fourth season and that's the same amount as the 7 episode season one. The new episodes have their moments but definitely not enough to keep me entertained.

I'm being curious about which 5 episodes in Season 4 you thought were awesome, and as a wild guess, I think PTV is one of them. Am I right or wrong? Still, can you tell me which 5 you thought were great and if needed, why do you think they were great? I'm not starting an argument because I hate arguments, and I'm not trying to bash you because I don't roll like that, but you can tell me which and we can discuss about it.

Anyways, when Stewie acted like a homo a lot, that's one of my main complaints because seriously, he can carry on an episode about being evil because it has substance to it, being gay just to have jokes over his sarcastic remarks and cruel things he says does not make better episodes by themselves, just better jokes. He was very unique back then because he was unlike any other character I've seen, and now he's still awesome when he's doing something evil, but now he overuses those gay jokes to the point of being annoying. I'm not saying he should stop having gay jokes, they're funny, but tone it down like the earlier seasons got dammit. If Stewie were MORE evil than gay I wouldn't complain about him, but it's quite sad that I'm complaining about one of my favorite animated characters of all, period.

somethinghidden

[7]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    jimbo_001 wrote:

Okay, I have no idea how long this post will be but feel free to ignore it if it's ten paragraphs.

I loved the first three seasons and Family Guy is one of the few cartoons I watch, other than South Park, Simpsons and Futurama as I am bsically a live action fan (Scrubs is the best show). But I liked seasons 1-3 because it mixed both clever humour with stupid humour, but the stupid moments were generally cleverly written aswell, such as two in a row at the dog track (Chris: Dad, where are the jockeys? Peter: They're in the wash son. I'm going indian today) and the flashbacks were usually very funny and only one or two an episode so the plot is still the main feature. Most of the characters were original (except Peter), especially my favourites, Quagmire and Stewie.

Okay, now that I've confirmed that I am in fact a Family Guy fan, I feel I am free to now piss off half the new fans by posting my opinion on the new episodes (I do not mean to change anybody's opinion, I am just expressing my own):

The Plots: I was extremely excited when I heard FG was coming back as I felt it was cancelled in its prime. However, now I wish that it wasn't brought back so my memory would be of a classic show and if season 4 as it currently is aired immediately after the third season, then I would understand cancellation then and would actually encourage it and do now, which is something I've never done over another show that I'm a fan of. After the first few episodes of denial, I realised I was laughing at moments that weren't funny and were just expected to be so I tried going through an episode and seeing how many times I genuinely laughed and realised that it was much less than the first seasons and the fourth season progressively got worse. One of the reasons was the plots, or lack thereof. Each episode was now 50% flashback scenes, few that were actually funny, and the other 45% were random events that made FG famous but were absolutely overloaded, and only 5 or 10% was a barely visible plotline and half the plots weren't even entertaining (Patriot Games, Brian Goes Back to College, Perfect Castaway...)

The Characters, i.e. the main reason. Characters that I knew and loved have become mere shadows of their greatness and have been severely dumbed down. Stewie was once a brilliant character, evil with a subtle feminine side which made him funnier and more two dimensional but he now is a flat out homosexual, and gay jokes are simply not funny. There are gay people in the world and Stewie being one doesn't make him funny - and after writers heard that people didn't like new Stewie they tried to force evil into him, like when he attacks Brian in Patriot Games, which was originally funny, until he did it a second time and more exaggerated when in earlier seasons it came naturally. Peter has gone from stupid to retarded and childish which is just terrible, since at least before he was occasionally funny. Meg has gone from being a gullible, ignored character to the butt of all jokes and Peter blaming Meg for a car accident or ignoring her comments is a lot funnier than Peter abusing her. Chris has gone from a hilarious moron with a talent for painting to basically absent. Worst of all, my favourite character Quagmire has gone from a terrific pervert with clever double entendres to a nut that does crazy songs and dances whenever he makes a silly remark. Characters that were barely funny the first time like Herbert, Vaudeville Guys and Evil Monkey are now almost main characters which is horrible since with them it is the same joke over and over.

The jokes: Even though the fourth season started with a few good moments, the episodes have gotten more and more poor to the point that they're either predictable, make no sense or are too stupid to laugh at.

Well said!!! I could not have summed it up better myself!!!! These are all interesting points about a show that relies heavily on flashbacks, irrelevant humor, ubiquitous pop culture icons and random filler. The show is in the dregs now and it needs to get hoisted out!

Chris used to be a very talented boy who was in sort of a rock and a hard place. He wanted to be a well-known artist, yet his father (Peter) was ambivalent on his talents. Meg used to be a girl who wanted to achieve popularity so bad that she wound up doing weird things to obtain it. She is now the butt of all jokes and her social standing is sort of a gray area. Lois is just an impressive secondary character now. There haven't been a lot of episodes devoted to her and her character has sort of become the faint string that ties the plot, or lack thereof, together. Peter, Brian and Stewie are the core of the show, which is disgusting. Instead of evenly proportioning the show out between the family, the show has devoted a disturbing amount of episodes towards the aforementioned personalities. I don't know if these characters are easier to write for, or what, but I'd love for there to be an even amount distributed (like The Simpsons {Before and after the Homer-centric Era}).

Is the show already out of it's brief Golden Age??? Will it rebound in the future??? Who knows???

21chewbakka21

[8]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 19

I have a lot of things against the Family Guy show:

-I think it's unoriginal

-mostly remains in the level of idiotistic teen-movies (fart jokes, and so on)

-and Stewie annoys the sh*t out of me! He's character is poorly written, unoriginal, and i can't understand why you people made him a star!? I saw him in a tipical idiotistic-popular-MTV videoclip, and it made me sick. This is really funny? A baby who act like an evil adult, what's the big deal about that? (if you want to answer this question, please go to the Why do you people think Stewie is a great character?  topic, and enlighten me)

-Anyway: Simpsons is much more intelligent, and South Park is way cooler, funnier

That's just my opinion, i does not want to hurt nobodys feelings, so no need to see it like an offense.

Edited on 03/18/2007 3:24pm

Darth_Tyrev

[9]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 2

jimbo_001 wrote:

Okay, I have no idea how long this post will be but feel free to ignore it if it's ten paragraphs.

The Plots: I was extremely excited when I heard FG was coming back as I felt it was cancelled in its prime. However, now I wish that it wasn't brought back so my memory would be of a classic show and if season 4 as it currently is aired immediately after the third season, then I would understand cancellation then and would actually encourage it and do now, which is something I've never done over another show that I'm a fan of. After the first few episodes of denial, I realised I was laughing at moments that weren't funny and were just expected to be so I tried going through an episode and seeing how many times I genuinely laughed and realised that it was much less than the first seasons and the fourth season progressively got worse. One of the reasons was the plots, or lack thereof. Each episode was now 50% flashback scenes, few that were actually funny, and the other 45% were random events that made FG famous but were absolutely overloaded, and only 5 or 10% was a barely visible plotline and half the plots weren't even entertaining (Patriot Games, Brian Goes Back to College, Perfect Castaway...)

The Characters, i.e. the main reason. Characters that I knew and loved have become mere shadows of their greatness and have been severely dumbed down. Stewie was once a brilliant character, evil with a subtle feminine side which made him funnier and more two dimensional but he now is a flat out homosexual, and gay jokes are simply not funny. There are gay people in the world and Stewie being one doesn't make him funny - and after writers heard that people didn't like new Stewie they tried to force evil into him, like when he attacks Brian in Patriot Games, which was originally funny, until he did it a second time and more exaggerated when in earlier seasons it came naturally. Peter has gone from stupid to retarded and childish which is just terrible, since at least before he was occasionally funny. Meg has gone from being a gullible, ignored character to the butt of all jokes and Peter blaming Meg for a car accident or ignoring her comments is a lot funnier than Peter abusing her. Chris has gone from a hilarious moron with a talent for painting to basically absent. Worst of all, my favourite character Quagmire has gone from a terrific pervert with clever double entendres to a nut that does crazy songs and dances whenever he makes a silly remark. Characters that were barely funny the first time like Herbert, Vaudeville Guys and Evil Monkey are now almost main characters which is horrible since with them it is the same joke over and over.

Wow, thanks for summerizing, I'm glad I didn't have to write all that.

So, yeah... what he said.

simpsonzfreak13

[10]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 17
    Not enough Ollie Williams. Plain and Simple.

MusicExpert1966

[11]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 2
    my complaint is that the editor, fishzone, abuses his powers as mod.

dark_zeratul

[12]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 8
    I think you're taking this a way too far.

jimbo_001

[13]Mar 18, 2007
    mitu123 wrote:
    jimbo_001 wrote:

I'm being curious about which 5 episodes in Season 4 you thought were awesome, and as a wild guess, I think PTV is one of them. Am I right or wrong? Still, can you tell me which 5 you thought were great and if needed, why do you think they were great?

Petarded - which is ironic, because after that Peter retarded and childish annoyed the crap out of me but it has several hilarious moments like the firetruck flashback and Peter abusing his mental disability

Fat Guy Strangler - my favourite episode of season 4 because it has an actual plot with a hilarious doctor scene, and I usually don't like it when FG overdoes jokes. There were the few off moments that most season 4 episodes have but it is a fantastic episode, though probably my 20th favourite of all time

Courtrship of Stewie's Father - Stewie's evil seems almost natural and up to par with previous episodes in this episode although it has its faults

PTV - While the start with Osama was overdone, the plot was great and the song is the last one I ever laughed at from FG (other than watching repeats of the first three seasons)

Blind Ambition - other than the overdone chicken fight and the rushed ending, this episode is hilarious, especially Quagmire being the accidental hero.

And the movie was also great but it doesn't count as an episode - my favourite scenes being Stewie's stunt double, intermission and Ron

jimbo_001

[14]Mar 18, 2007

MusicExpert1966 wrote:

How does he abuse his power? There's a million downhill threads so he narrows it down to one to clean the board up.

drewshack

[15]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 47
    MusicExpert1966 wrote:

Dude...you're turning into a troll...

mitu123

[16]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 14
    jimbo_001 wrote:
    mitu123 wrote:
    jimbo_001 wrote:

I'm being curious about which 5 episodes in Season 4 you thought were awesome, and as a wild guess, I think PTV is one of them. Am I right or wrong? Still, can you tell me which 5 you thought were great and if needed, why do you think they were great?

Petarded - which is ironic, because after that Peter retarded and childish annoyed the crap out of me but it has several hilarious moments like the firetruck flashback and Peter abusing his mental disability

Fat Guy Strangler - my favourite episode of season 4 because it has an actual plot with a hilarious doctor scene, and I usually don't like it when FG overdoes jokes. There were the few off moments that most season 4 episodes have but it is a fantastic episode, though probably my 20th favourite of all time

Courtrship of Stewie's Father - Stewie's evil seems almost natural and up to par with previous episodes in this episode although it has its faults

PTV - While the start with Osama was overdone, the plot was great and the song is the last one I ever laughed at from FG (other than watching repeats of the first three seasons)

Blind Ambition - other than the overdone chicken fight and the rushed ending, this episode is hilarious, especially Quagmire being the accidental hero.

And the movie was also great but it doesn't count as an episode - my favourite scenes being Stewie's stunt double, intermission and Ron

Yeah, those episodes do belong in the first 3 seasons because they are awesome and I watch those episodes over and over again on DVD. That's an impressive list you got there, good job on naming the best for the season, and I think this season had some of the worst episodes ever, like Peterotica and Patriot Games, they suck. Again, good list, and while I find this season far less entertaining than seasons 1-3, at least most of the episodes are ok though. And the movie was better than most of season 4 itself, like when Stewie drove drunk into the drunken clam.

simpsonzfreak13

[17]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 17

MusicExpert1966 wrote:

Obviously, you did not read the title. It's complaints for the show.

By the way, you are really getting irritating.

dark_zeratul

[18]Mar 18, 2007
    Forget it man, fishzone took care of it

salticracker

[19]Mar 19, 2007
    jimbo_001 wrote:

well put. i also would like to add that i am getting sick of all of the song and dance scenes. the show just seems like it is all filler with drawn out jokes to fill time. i wonder if seth macfarlane is losing creativity due to his other endeavors (i.e. american dad). the show is becoming painful to watch, and if there are not improvements made by the end of the season i doubt i will continue to watch the show. also i am not one to get offended by a tv show, but i am seriously wondering what the hell the writers of the shows are thinking with some of the jokes/plot lines. killing your sibling to avoid a date with meg, extra marital affairs, and changing peter's dad are just a few of the many reasons i am not enjoying the show these days.

Ultimate_Critic

[20]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 12
    MusicExpert1966 wrote:

Does anyone smell that?... smells... smells like... what is that?... a troll?!