Family Guy Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

General Family Guy Complaint Thread - Post Your Grievances Here

Ultimate_Critic

[21]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 12
    I think they need to do more audience feedback and research when it comes to some of the songs. I know Prom Night Dumpster Baby is a couple of weeks old now, but christ was that an awful way to waste 2 minutes of my life.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

simpsonzfreak13

[22]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 17

Ultimate_Critic wrote:
    I think they need to do more audience feedback and research when it comes to some of the songs. I know Prom Night Dumpster Baby is a couple of weeks old now, but christ was that an awful way to waste 2 minutes of my life.

I know. What in the world did that have to do with the plot? But that's one of my major grievances with the new Family Guy. The flashbacks used to be short, funny, and to the point. Make the flashback joke and move on to the plot. Now, it's make a flashback "Remember the time I...", make a long, unfunny flashback, then go on to another bad one. The flashbacks now are pretty much songs and dances that are 2-4 minutes long.

somethinghidden

[23]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 4
    simpsonzfreak13 wrote:

Ultimate_Critic wrote:

I know. What in the world did that have to do with the plot? But that's one of my major grievances with the new Family Guy. The flashbacks used to be short, funny, and to the point. Make the flashback joke and move on to the plot. Now, it's make a flashback "Remember the time I...", make a long, unfunny flashback, then go on to another bad one. The flashbacks now are pretty much songs and dances that are 2-4 minutes long.

I couldn't agree more. The show was known for its irrelevant humor when it first started, and now it's just so loathsome and annoying to the point of it being cancerous. I now believe that they're using the flashbacks as gimmicks and as ploys to fill in whatever's not part of the "plot". The plot, probably, takes up, oh, less than 10% of the show and the rest is annoying filler. Come on, Seth. It was cute at first, but now it's just terrible and annoying.

evildevil97

[24]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 26
    I find it best to think of Family Guy as part sketch comedy, the flashbacks being the sketches.

lsdotcom

[25]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 13

This made me kinda laugh... But others didn't feel the same...   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBZQfAYfH7s

heman3602

[26]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 9
    How bout "jokes" that are just flat references that r supposed to inspire "hey I kno that" from the audience without actually having to think of a punchline. Like the Stewie in the museum a la "Ferris Buellers Day Off", or Adam West watching TMNT in a hotel. I dont need FG reminding me of the existance of Ferris Bueller or TMNT.

Ultimate_Critic

[27]Mar 22, 2007
    I'm complaining about people complaining that fishzone is unreasonable. He's doing his job and he's doing it well.

dark_zeratul

[28]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 8
    That matter has been settled. It was just some individual stirring up trouble.

Ultimate_Critic

[29]Mar 22, 2007
    There's two or three of them. They just bug me. Anyway, if they want to see strict, try the Death Note forum.

I also don't like noobs putting up pointless threads.

fishzone

[30]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 43
    lets get this discussion back on track please. This thread is for complaints about the show, not the forum or the guide.

soundsofsilence

[31]Mar 23, 2007
    • level: 23
    Plain and simple: way too much filler. too little plot. back in the old days you had scenes like peter releasing the birds from his beard while brian had a final moment with pearl (brian wallows, peter swallows). Today you have:
    Peter: I cant believe dad's dead. Hey i know i'll burry him in the pet cemetery. (insert cutaway here) (peter's two dads) Back in season 3 you had songs rarely (and they were good like the original "road to..." episodes)
    today: (from peter's two dads)
    Peter: But there is one thing mickey. You knocked up my mom and never her called again.
    Mickey: yeah, so what?
    Peter: so what? Lets dance! (begin song that takes up the last 1:02 of the episode) season 1: Stewie trys to destroy brocoli (forget which episode but its in season 1)
    season 5: Stewie "Gets a jollie from being hit" (Peter's two dads) Season 3: Lois Chris and Meg atleast had a b-plot or two (like the spring break story chris and sam or lois learning karate) Season 5: Meg has had 1 story (barely legal). Chris has had none (since jungle love and not counting the junior republicans b-story). Lois hasn't really had a story either (not counting the end of the second act and parts of the third in the bill clinton episode) and most of the time now Chris and Meg don't really speak that often (except for when Meg flips out and calls Peter an S.O.B.) Season 3: Herbert appeared ONCE (To live and die in dixie)
    Season 5: Herbert is in what seems like most of the episodes now (and he has gotten ALOT less funny).

Sorry that this message so long winded.

thundercat2000

[32]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 17
    the critic was ABC for 1 year then they moved it to FOX. They should bring that 1 back and I agree that was a great show too.

Saywhatnow

[33]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    jimbo_001 wrote:

Okay, I have no idea how long this post will be but feel free to ignore it if it's ten paragraphs.

I loved the first three seasons and Family Guy is one of the few cartoons I watch, other than South Park, Simpsons and Futurama as I am bsically a live action fan (Scrubs is the best show). But I liked seasons 1-3 because it mixed both clever humour with stupid humour, but the stupid moments were generally cleverly written aswell, such as two in a row at the dog track (Chris: Dad, where are the jockeys? Peter: They're in the wash son. I'm going indian today) and the flashbacks were usually very funny and only one or two an episode so the plot is still the main feature. Most of the characters were original (except Peter), especially my favourites, Quagmire and Stewie.

Okay, now that I've confirmed that I am in fact a Family Guy fan, I feel I am free to now piss off half the new fans by posting my opinion on the new episodes (I do not mean to change anybody's opinion, I am just expressing my own):

The Plots: I was extremely excited when I heard FG was coming back as I felt it was cancelled in its prime. However, now I wish that it wasn't brought back so my memory would be of a classic show and if season 4 as it currently is aired immediately after the third season, then I would understand cancellation then and would actually encourage it and do now, which is something I've never done over another show that I'm a fan of. After the first few episodes of denial, I realised I was laughing at moments that weren't funny and were just expected to be so I tried going through an episode and seeing how many times I genuinely laughed and realised that it was much less than the first seasons and the fourth season progressively got worse. One of the reasons was the plots, or lack thereof. Each episode was now 50% flashback scenes, few that were actually funny, and the other 45% were random events that made FG famous but were absolutely overloaded, and only 5 or 10% was a barely visible plotline and half the plots weren't even entertaining (Patriot Games, Brian Goes Back to College, Perfect Castaway...)

The Characters, i.e. the main reason. Characters that I knew and loved have become mere shadows of their greatness and have been severely dumbed down. Stewie was once a brilliant character, evil with a subtle feminine side which made him funnier and more two dimensional but he now is a flat out homosexual, and gay jokes are simply not funny. There are gay people in the world and Stewie being one doesn't make him funny - and after writers heard that people didn't like new Stewie they tried to force evil into him, like when he attacks Brian in Patriot Games, which was originally funny, until he did it a second time and more exaggerated when in earlier seasons it came naturally. Peter has gone from stupid to retarded and childish which is just terrible, since at least before he was occasionally funny. Meg has gone from being a gullible, ignored character to the butt of all jokes and Peter blaming Meg for a car accident or ignoring her comments is a lot funnier than Peter abusing her. Chris has gone from a hilarious moron with a talent for painting to basically absent. Worst of all, my favourite character Quagmire has gone from a terrific pervert with clever double entendres to a nut that does crazy songs and dances whenever he makes a silly remark. Characters that were barely funny the first time like Herbert, Vaudeville Guys and Evil Monkey are now almost main characters which is horrible since with them it is the same joke over and over.

The jokes: Even though the fourth season started with a few good moments, the episodes have gotten more and more poor to the point that they're either predictable, make no sense or are too stupid to laugh at.

Exactly. I'm glad someone got all of that out. I loved this show when it was originally aired, and looked forward to it when its return was announced, but have been disappointed as to the quality and content thus far. It went from insane, but well thought out randomness and humor, to just being crude and simple. They even took away Stewie's genius. I miss the inventions for his evil schemes (although I do admit that one can only attempt matricide so many times, but his dark genius could be put to use elsewhere). However, I think the largest problem I have with the show has been the growing issues I've developed with its moral message, especially in regards to sex and infidelity. Yes, the show makes a habit of doing morally questionable things in many arenas, but they were traditionally either so extremely absurd, or done in such an outrageous way that the show was clearly making fun of the very attitudes and ideas it was professing. I've noticed that over time, in one area at least, this no longer seems to be the case.

It's hard for me to point out exactly where I started to notice something was wrong. It was probably when the writers began to continually expand on Lois's promiscuous past - and how Peter just seemed to accept it, and in some cases even endorse it (like when he discovered she slept with a member of KISS). It was low-brow and I didn't find it particulary funny, but I got over it. Over time the situation developed into moments like in 'A Fish Out of Water', when Lois and Meg go on spring break. What began as seemingly making fun of those who "go wild" and use their break from school to behave like drunken, amoral idiots, in the end almost seemed to embrace the idea. At the time I decided that I was making as issue out of nothing and even though I disagreed with it I once again let it go. Then we had "The Cleveland-Loretta Quagmire" where Cleveland actually forgave Quagmire for sleeping with his wife. Excuse me? Cleveland did at least divorce Loretta, but forgive a friend that slept with your wife? I know they wanted to keep both characters, and Cleveland is supposed to be the overly calm and forgiving type, but that's just idiotic and pathetic. Later came "Model Misbehavior" where once again in the end Peter sits there saying 'Well, whatever makes you happy' no matter how her wild behavior hurts him or their family. And while in Prick Up Your Ears" I enjoyed the fun poked at some of the overly zealous conservative groups in regards to sex, I was disturbed once again by Lois's behavior. Are the extremes some people take to shelter their youth from sex too much? Of course, but going extreme in the other direction is no better. This episode didn't seem to realize that. Around this time the show seemed to really be struggling, but nothing could compare with what came last week.

In "Bill and Peter's Bogus Journey", Lois cheats on Peter and there's nothing. I'm not saying he should have actually gone through with sleeping with her mother, that would be insane, but to just sit there and take it saying it'll all be ok? I know it's just a show and that such things are all over tv but... NO. Infidelity is one of the worst things you can do to another person, and to just write it off like it's nothing because you're at the end of an episode cheapens both the damage it causes, and the struggles of people who actually try to get over such an incident. This is a show that in other arenas has been perfectly willing to point out how "monstrous" character's actions have been, especially Peter's (like when he faked Chris's death to get a tv series back on the air, or used Lois's private photo for him to smear her in a school board election). As I previously mentioned, when it wasn't pointed out directly it was done in such a way as to still be clear in its condemnation. What does it say now that the show stands so silent? Where's the outcry? Lois has very often been the key voice of reason. If Lois is supposed to be a voice of morality, then what morality is being expressed? After being caught she was even going right back for more once Peter left. Hell, she almost went back for more while he was still in the room, when she was in the middle of talking with him. I understand the attempted political message here, but the price is too high. How you do things is important, and the way this message was conveyed was horrible.

I've loved this show. I have the first three seasons on DVD. And at this moment I never want to watch it again.

Edited on 03/26/2007 5:22am
    Edited 2 total times.

zift88

[34]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    Couldn't agree with you more! Exactly what I was thinking.

TheDevil016

[35]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    Well, now I'm done with Family Guy; They've done too many Michael Jackson jokes lately. I don't like when people disrespect or make fun of The King of Pop. The stories suck lately too, and there's too many songs.

mp34mp

[36]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 16
    I don't like all the drug references, and it seems to be getting worse. Peter's done cocaine, weed, extacy, crack and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, Lois with weed, meth, and from what I've gathered, some unnamed pills, and with the Cookie Monster, heating up cookie dough the way heroin users do. It just gives the show a sad state and it just makes the show seem like a circus & they'll subject the characters to gags to no matter what extent. Also I'm getting tired of all the singing and musical numbers. This isn't Broadway. As for the jokes and humor, the show will never be as great as it used to be, but it's still pretty funny. The show seems to be dragging out gags which gets annoying from time to time.

Bizzle223

[37]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 14
    right now i think family guy is at the lowest its ever been, american dad is wayyy better than Family guy is
    right now, American Dad has actual plots and no random, stupid, stuff. The episodes lately have been nothing
    but flashbacks(that dont make no sense whatsoever) or random things(which are barely ever funny). I used to want to watch every new episode.Now if i miss one, its like, m'eh ,who cares.
    Edited on 03/27/2007 12:35pm

Ultimate_Critic

[38]Mar 27, 2007
    Why do people keep on complaining about FG not having enough story but too much flash backs? That is how it has always been. The problem is that the stories and flashbacks haven't been up to their usual standard of late.

ILoveMoleMan

[39]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 7
    They have had solid stories in the past seasons (Peter and Chris's relationship, Peter's sensitivity with women, Brian falling in love with the Pewtersmidt dog) and the flashbacks were not in the great number/randomness as they are now.

Kennymacdougall

[40]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 22
    There is one thing that did bug me, and that is the fact that Lois cheated on Peter. That was indeed unbelievable,she was always the voice of reason. I mean, how the Hades could she ever do that??? It's just a scene where she is talking to Bill and next scene she is in bed.
    I thought that was way off-character. For example, Marge would never do that to Homer.
    And the old Lois would never have done that to Peter. She might as well have slept with Quagmire, instead of Clinton.