Family Guy Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

General Family Guy Complaint Thread - Post Your Grievances Here

soundsofsilence

[41]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 23
    mp34mp wrote:
    I don't like all the drug references, and it seems to be getting worse. Peter's done cocaine, weed, extacy, crack and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, Lois with weed, meth, and from what I've gathered, some unnamed pills, and with the Cookie Monster, heating up cookie dough the way heroin users do.
    Allow me to point out more examples:

Brian: Pot helps

Brian: we lost the values but we kept the weed

Clinton (holding a joint): lets go to mars dude.

Peter: how did you get that tatoo on your back?
    Lois: Meth is one hell of a drug

The got inspired by the pot that brian kept under the bed to write the song in deep throats

The cafe scene in road to europe

Lois calculating how much the drugs would sell for that Brian sniffed out in "The thin white line (1)".

It seems to be a re-occuring theme and not a funny one at that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ultimate_Critic

[42]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 12
    You sound like you are offended by the drug references. Are you so anti-drug that you can't see the humour in it at all?

Jangdo15

[43]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    I Agree. Drug references are funny for anyone whos been through it. Theyre just trying to hit a certain spectrum of the family guy audience using those references. C'mon now, the Evil monkey thowin on his headphones and rollin up a phatty? Hillarious! although the crack use and meth reference seemed a tad out of place. But for the most part, family guy hits the drug jokes right on the head.

somethinghidden

[44]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 4
    Just wondering:

All of the threads that you're (editor) locking are due to the fact that there are too many complaint threads over the declining quality. While I can see your stance on this action, does this include illustrations over the predictableness of the show? Earlier this month, I believe, I started a thread that had a Family Guy BINGO card on it. While I was not complaining of the show in any way (I made that clear in the thread), it was promptly locked. I merely wished there was a reason on why you went about the action. I'm not questioning your "power" in any way, but was it because it gave you abashed emotions or is it the fact that you can't seem to stand anyone or anything that places something demeaning to a show like FG? Or is it simply the truth? I could easily score a BINGO on this thing before the show's half over. Oh, and for those of you who want to know what I'm talking about, here it is:

mp34mp

[45]Mar 28, 2007
    • level: 16
    soundsofsilence wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    I don't like all the drug references, and it seems to be getting worse. Peter's done cocaine, weed, extacy, crack and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out, Lois with weed, meth, and from what I've gathered, some unnamed pills, and with the Cookie Monster, heating up cookie dough the way heroin users do.
    Allow me to point out more examples:

Brian: Pot helps

Brian: we lost the values but we kept the weed

Clinton (holding a joint): lets go to mars dude.

Peter: how did you get that tatoo on your back?
    Lois: Meth is one hell of a drug

The got inspired by the pot that brian kept under the bed to write the song in deep throats

The cafe scene in road to europe

Lois calculating how much the drugs would sell for that Brian sniffed out in "The thin white line (1)".

It seems to be a re-occuring theme and not a funny one at that.

Agreed.

mp34mp

[46]Mar 28, 2007
    A thought that came to me during today. It's like, Family Guy is now "Pee Wee's Playhouse: the R-rated version". It's like a weird wild circus, where all common sense is thrown away and where any crazy crap can happen. I'm reminded of the 12th episode, "Love Thy Trophy", where humor and a somewhat realistic plot was thrown in with some gags that made for an enjoyable episode. Sure some stupid stuff happened, but there was a grounded plot, where Cleveland Brown said, "Let's get our baby back!" that made memorable. It was stuff like:

Old Lady: What a precious little boy.
    Meg: That's my ..uh, uh.. son.
    Old Lady: Your son? But you're just a baby yourself. Henry, give the little skank a nice tip.

& in response to Stewie being on the plot, at Meg knowing that Stewie likes blueberry pancakes and wanted more.

Stewie: "What's that? Oh yeah. I love crack, I'm absolutely coo-coo for crack". **scrumbles up more blueberry pancakes**

It was just a crack (pun) at a cliche, not actually portraying it like it was a actual event in their daily lives. They mocked cliches, not actually enacted them. I say, "mock them, don't actually live them" when it comes to parodies. That's where the pure genius of Family Guy lies. And they've fallen from this, sadly.

Jangdo15

[47]Mar 29, 2007
    Im sure its hard to find somthing funny if you cant relate to it in any way. Thus im assuming that anyone who dislikes their clever drug references never delved into the activity. But theres a reason they use it more and more. Its popular humor. What else could be funnier than peter flippin out on ecstasy? Again, another "hit the nail on the head' moment.

mp34mp

[48]Mar 29, 2007
    Jangdo15 wrote:
    Im sure its hard to find somthing funny if you cant relate to it in any way. Thus im assuming that anyone who dislikes their clever drug references never delved into the activity. But theres a reason they use it more and more. Its popular humor. What else could be funnier than peter flippin out on ecstasy? Again, another "hit the nail on the head' moment.

Yeah I get it. I just don't find it pleasant. I don't have to do drugs to know the effects and consequences of it. So I take it we get to look forward to the needle breaking in his vein while Peter's shooting up heroin or watching Lois talk back to the furniture while dropping 'shrooms. Yeah, I can't wait.

Jangdo15

[49]Mar 29, 2007
    Eh. Good Point.

Bizzle223

[50]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 14
    The drug references are funny,but some arent, i loved the one when peter was on ecstasy
    but the joke about meth didnt offend me,but i just didnt find it really funny

Jangdo15

[51]Mar 29, 2007
    mp34mp wrote:
    Jangdo15 wrote:

Yeah I get it. I just don't find it pleasant. I don't have to do drugs to know the effects and consequences of it. So I take it we get to look forward to the needle breaking in his vein while Peter's shooting up heroin or watching Lois talk back to the furniture while dropping 'shrooms. Yeah, I can't wait.

Lets remember, Chris already tried mushrooms. Lol. And needle use in Family Guy is more widespread if you think about it. Steroids for the british, peters flu shot, just to name a couple. So, i dont even think that would surprise me.

GerMan666

[52]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 18

The things I hate about FG (now)

Too many star references, especially over-exaggeration

Predictable plots

Too many Meg Gross-Out jokes

Too man Stewie's gay jokes.

Too many ansulary character appearences (Greased up deaf guy, Ollie Williams, doctor, the Evil Monkey)

Too many and too long cutscenes

Pointless jokes that don't derive from the plot.

Family Guy was great, but they should have just killed it back in 2002 (2003?). I give it until season 8 until they pull the plug on it, but Seth may try to beat The Simpsons (fat chance!) SP, and KOTH.

Edited on 04/02/2007 7:20pm

Ultimate_Critic

[53]Apr 3, 2007
    GerMan666 wrote:

The things I hate about FG (now)

Too many star references, especially over-exaggeration

Predictable plots

Too many Meg Gross-Out jokes

Too man Stewie's gay jokes.

Too many ansulary character appearences (Greased up deaf guy, Ollie Williams, doctor, the Evil Monkey)

Too many and too long cutscenes

Pointless jokes that don't derive from the plot.

Family Guy was great, but they should have just killed it back in 2002 (2003?). I give it until season 8 until they pull the plug on it, but Seth may try to beat The Simpsons (fat chance!) SP, and KOTH.

Do you still watch it?

basselope7

[54]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 22

Too much blood.

dj_jojje

[55]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    Im just tierd of all the breaks between episodes

i_am_masterstu

[56]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    I wish they would just show the episodes. Now we have to wait until the 29th. I can't wait for "It takes a village idiot, and I married one."

thundercat2000

[57]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 17
    They forgot when Lois stole things and when she kissed a teengage girl. I used to like her but not anymore. And how about when Peter went to talk to Clinton but slept with him at the end? That was unbelieveable.

Ultimate_Critic

[58]Apr 9, 2007
    thundercat2000 wrote:
    They forgot when Lois stole things and when she kissed a teengage girl. I used to like her but not anymore. And how about when Peter went to talk to Clinton but slept with him at the end? That was unbelieveable.

So you don't like immoral acts or rule breaking?

mitu123

[59]Apr 9, 2007
    dj_jojje wrote:
    Im just tierd of all the breaks between episodes
    If your tired of all the breaks, blame FOX for cutting out 4 episodes in Season 5, resulting in having only 18 episodes and extending the breaks, but hopefully this will make the remaining 4 episodes really good though.

mitu123

[60]Apr 9, 2007

Another problem with Family Guy are the plots themselves. There was a forum about Family Guy not needing a plot, and it was once true, but now it's not anymore. Too many flashbacks, random scenes and nonsensical moments along with songs are in full effect, and leaves little room for an actual story that's either strong or original. American Dad has better and original plots than Family Guy, and that's really sad.

The first 3 seasons had never strayed too far away from the stories in their episodes, thanks to good timing jokes and flashbacks that were necessary when nothing was happening and made them truly funny(and made sense too). Now we have too many jokes, some funny, some not even funny, and not much of a story that's deep or entertaining. A perfect example is "No Meals On Wheels", as the first segment's plot didn't kick in until the very end of that (first) segment. I mean, come on, anyone can throw a bunch of jokes, but to come up with a worthwhile plot with the jokes takes talent, something that some of these newer FG episodes don't truly have, although it isn't bad, just not as good as it could be though.

The plot about Stewie in "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou" is one of the weakest plots about him IMO. Seriously, there are about 2 laughs with that, and it was just gay jokes. Nothing wrong with that, but a plot about getting a tan just to enjoy life with it serves no purpose or meaning to it, unlike being evil where he was unique and awesome. Weak plots like that (even as a side plot) are reasons that Family Guy needs to improve in this department.

Sure, every episode has a plot to know what's going on, but if it isn't interesting(or just boring), and if the jokes aren't strong enough(or just too stupid to laugh at), then the episode itself will be bad too. Come on Family Guy, I still like this show, and I still think it's one of the best shows on TV as I'm one of the biggest fans ever, but unless you can deliver meaningful plots and jokes to go on with it that are great, this show will be like the toned down, less than great versions of seasons 1-3.