Family Guy Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

General Family Guy Complaint Thread - Post Your Grievances Here

heman3602

[61]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 9

The problem with characters consistantly using drugs and acting overly immoral is that it becomes hard to like the characters anymore especially when characters dont start out that way. Its fine to have an occasional joke like that but FG is whoring the characters for a cheap laugh out w/o hesitation, and as such they arent the characters that ppl fell in love with, just darker one-dimensional caricatures of their former selves. Peter used to be my favorite character but because of the dumbing down and the added jerkassness, everytime he opens his mouth I wanna punch him and/or macfarlene in the face. Lois was once the levelheaded 'normal' character, and to me this type of character is one of the most important in a comedy because they create a foil to justify and enhance the other characters 'wackyness', but now shes not much different from them. How long before FG looks the same as Drawn Together or another crappy late night adult cartoon?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mp34mp

[62]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 16
    heman3602 wrote:

The problem with characters consistantly using drugs and acting overly immoral is that it becomes hard to like the characters anymore especially when characters dont start out that way. Its fine to have an occasional joke like that but FG is whoring the characters for a cheap laugh out w/o hesitation, and as such they arent the characters that ppl fell in love with, just darker one-dimensional caricatures of their former selves. Peter used to be my favorite character but because of the dumbing down and the added jerkassness, everytime he opens his mouth I wanna punch him and/or macfarlene in the face. Lois was once the levelheaded 'normal' character, and to me this type of character is one of the most important in a comedy because they create a foil to justify and enhance the other characters 'wackyness', but now shes not much different from them. How long before FG looks the same as Drawn Together or another crappy late night adult cartoon?

That pretty much nails it on the head. They've taken our fun and amusing show and turned it into just plain blasphemy. I guess 'surreal' would be another word.

mp34mp

[63]Apr 12, 2007
    mitu123 wrote:
    dj_jojje wrote:
    Im just tierd of all the breaks between episodes
    If your tired of all the breaks, blame FOX for cutting out 4 episodes in Season 5, resulting in having only 18 episodes and extending the breaks, but hopefully this will make the remaining 4 episodes really good though.

I doubt it. Episodes take a year to make and adding a mere 4 weeks isn't going to help improve anything. Sounds more like a Fox cost-cutting move to me.

mp34mp

[64]Apr 12, 2007
    GerMan666 wrote:

The things I hate about FG (now)

Too many star references, especially over-exaggeration

Predictable plots

Too many Meg Gross-Out jokes

Too man Stewie's gay jokes.

Too many ansulary character appearences (Greased up deaf guy, Ollie Williams, doctor, the Evil Monkey)

Too many and too long cutscenes

Pointless jokes that don't derive from the plot.

Family Guy was great, but they should have just killed it back in 2002 (2003?). I give it until season 8 until they pull the plug on it, but Seth may try to beat The Simpsons (fat chance!) SP, and KOTH.

I'd say Family Guy is in its 'Phase 2' era, they decided to take the show in a different direction with different intentions. Alas, things are going to get worse before they get better. But I'm hoping Phase 3, whatever season that ends up being, will be more like the originals. And Family Guy will never, ever reach the popularity or prestige of the Simpsons. Family Guy is just way too offensive.

somethinghidden

[65]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 4
    mp34mp wrote:
    GerMan666 wrote:

The things I hate about FG (now)

Too many star references, especially over-exaggeration

Predictable plots

Too many Meg Gross-Out jokes

Too man Stewie's gay jokes.

Too many ansulary character appearences (Greased up deaf guy, Ollie Williams, doctor, the Evil Monkey)

Too many and too long cutscenes

Pointless jokes that don't derive from the plot.

Family Guy was great, but they should have just killed it back in 2002 (2003?). I give it until season 8 until they pull the plug on it, but Seth may try to beat The Simpsons (fat chance!) SP, and KOTH.

I'd say Family Guy is in its 'Phase 2' era, they decided to take the show in a different direction with different intentions. Alas, things are going to get worse before they get better. But I'm hoping Phase 3, whatever season that ends up being, will be more like the originals. And Family Guy will never, ever reach the popularity or prestige of the Simpsons. Family Guy is just way too offensive.

I completely agree. FG is in a rut right now that it really needs to get out of. I love the show dearly, but it's like, what??? What am I watching? Where's the plot? Where's the writing? Where are Lois, Meg and Chris??? It's disgusting and the show is nothing like it was during 1-3 and most of four. 

NoOneIsAlone

[66]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 26
    Simply I think that Family Guy has turn itself from being a clever, though strong way of entertaining to a stupid one. I mean, before episodes were very funny, not because of the stupid way of their actions but because they were clever and very well done. Now it seems like all they care about is mantaining the "stupid" people that laugh at jokes like Meg getting hit all the time or Stewie's orientation, to stay with them, rather than recovering the fans that were truly in the beginning of the show and now how good it can get.

n842

[67]May 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    I used to like Family Guy, but within the last few months, I've gotten to lose great interest in it.  The show does have its funny moments, but other moments when it attempts to create humor are actually, in my opinion, rather aggravating and insulting.  The show's format is so immature and Peter and Stewie (and sometimes Brian) can act cruel and heartless and make fun of something that shouldn't be made fun of (Elizabeth Smart joke for example).  It's like Seth MacFarlane doesn't care about anyone's feelings but his own.  He just takes many serious topics and political issues and just makes fun of them without even caring about what anyone thinks.  Many people disappointed by Family Guy are bored.  I'm not so much bored with it as I am a bit unhappy.

Darth_Tyrev

[68]May 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    Season 1-3 were just so damn good, I don't even see how it could possibly have come to this! I mean hell, people complain about the Simpson's decline in quality? The worst episodes of the Simpsons are better than the best episdoes of the latest Family Guys.

mp34mp

[69]May 6, 2007
    A few more episodes later, and it's just totally surreal. I think Seth has a vandetta towards Fox & non-Liberals and just wants to offend the absolute hell of everyone who watches. Basically, "if you watch Family Guy, your mind will be molested". I can't think of any other way to put it. And I'm not the type that easily gets offended, either. I fear to see what Family Guy will become, even at this point.

mitu123

[70]May 6, 2007
    • level: 14
    Darth_Tyrev wrote:
    The worst episodes of the Simpsons are better than the best episdoes of the latest Family Guys.
    Wow, just, wow.

mp34mp

[71]May 6, 2007
    mitu123 wrote:
    Darth_Tyrev wrote:
    The worst episodes of the Simpsons are better than the best episdoes of the latest Family Guys.
    Wow, just, wow.

Yeah I can't agree with that either. The Simpson's writing has completely nose-dived. 'The Simpsons Go To Africa' is when it started getting really unfunny, repetitive and stale.

ZoneHero

[72]May 6, 2007
    • level: 19
    The jokes of the Catholics and Christans are getting pretty OLD and STALE! They made fun of Jesus and God to the point that no-one really respects them anymore. I think it's high time to make some clips about Mohammad, or Buddha for that matter. Anyone with me? I know I have a point...

dark_zeratul

[73]May 6, 2007
    • level: 8
    Meh, I don't find religion jokes that funny. They're only funny for a couple of times but after that it just gets boring. Like the episode "Boys Do Cry" when Stewie met up with Jesus. That wasn't really funny. I laughed for like a few seconds but after that it was really disturbing.

BrianGriffin07

[74]May 7, 2007
    • level: 1

dark_zeratul wrote:
    Meh, I don't find religion jokes that funny. They're only funny for a couple of times but after that it just gets boring. Like the episode "Boys Do Cry" when Stewie met up with Jesus. That wasn't really funny. I laughed for like a few seconds but after that it was really disturbing.

I agree with you. The only religious joke I've ever found funny is the one where the Pope confronts Stewie and Brian about being dragged a few feet by them.

Another thing that's starting to annoy me now is the chicken fight. Again, the most recent one went on too long and now the fighting is occuring for a very pointless reason. It was funny at first, but now it's even annoying me.

dark_zeratul

[75]May 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    Well the Chicken fight was okay, at least they changed it a bit, making the Chicken actually talk and stuff.

CJ42090

[76]May 9, 2007
    • level: 12
    This season has been pretty disappointing. It's top episodes have been okay at best. I love Family Guy so I hope that they can get themselves out of this hole and go back to the good ol' days when the show was witty and funny.
    Edited on 05/09/2007 6:13pm

austin532

[77]May 10, 2007
    • level: 2

Back when there were only 3 seasons of Family Guy, I used to think that Season 1 wasn't all that great, but after watching the crappy new episodes, Season 1 is a blessing.

DisturbingMoose

[78]May 16, 2007
    • level: 4

jokes have gotten predictable, they have reused old jokes way too often. There are too many random flashbacks with unrelated characters

ZoneHero

[79]May 20, 2007
    • level: 19

And the show seems to become, from the Cartoon Wars, "Filled with lessons and messages that they forgot how to be funny."

I mean... the episode 'Boys Do Cry' seems to support of what Rosie O'Donnell thinks of middle America. As Mr. Garrison put it, "People like you preach about tolerance and open mindness but when it comes to Middle America, you think we're evil and stupid who need your political enlightenment." And that was from years ago from 2000! Look at what she says today! And "Hell comes to Quahog" was nothing but Wal-Mart slander, though it was nice to see Meg get some respect for a change.

Does any else how Family Guy changed so much since they started? They started out original but now... now they seem more like the all the other shows on Comedy Central besides South Park...

And all these characters changes are betraying fans of the earlier seasons. I want Brian to be witty, not preachy. Stewie to a be the Star Wars' 'Sith Emperor' as a baby, not as a 'Homosexual Peter' as a baby. And Meg be the normal teenage daughter, not as a unwanted minor character.

Edited on 05/20/2007 7:05pm

reddman22

[80]May 20, 2007
    • level: 3
    why oh why did seth do that to one of the greatest shows on tv. why did he have to fill it with no plot, too many not funny gay jokes.he should try to incorporate lois,meg, or chris as the focal point for one of the last four episodes of this season.he is starting to piss me off with these episodes.they r just not really funny anymore.