Family Guy Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

General Family Guy Complaint Thread - Post Your Grievances Here

mitu123

[121]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 14
    i_am_masterstu wrote:
    Stewie isn't the same Stewie, he is just not as funny as he used to be. I wish they would show him with same lasers or something like he used to, and have him with less gay moments.
    I'm going to add something to that and make a suggestion as well. What I can't stand is that people say new Stewie is better than the old one yet they can only back it up with the same old "it makes him funnier, he has more depth, and a better overall character" crap, but only half of it is true(or less). I don't want to bash them because I'm not like that, but geez, I don't know, it's all opinion based I guess. Anyways, here's what I added from another forum and made a suggestion to use different types of jokes other than gay jokes: Ever since the show came back, "The Courtship of Stewie's Father" was the best Stewie episode, and that's sad when you think about it. No other Season 4 and 5 episode came close to matching the brillance of that classic episode I gave a 9-9.5 at least. Lots of evil Stewie was in it, and he was hardly even gay in that one!!!

And people wonder why Seasons 4 and 5 are weaker than the first 3 classic seasons with 3 being the best IMO. One of the problems is Stewie turning gay.

Yes, STEWIE IS STILL EVIL in Seasons 4 and 5, but there's way too much gay him that it overshadows the evilness that made him my favorite all time character on Family Guy, as I liked him more than Peter. Sometimes his gayness is funny, other times, like The Tan Aqautic of Steve Zissou and Boys Do Cry, even Deep Throats and MANY others, it's just too weird or not funny. When Stewie acts gay it's all about jokes because storylines about him being gay will get tired far quicker than being evil, and I know there are better ways to be funny than just being gay.

How about being mean and cruel? He would sound evil and say cruel things without being gay either. He'll only hurt those in words, not violence, and have funny jokes about it too.

So turning him gay gives him more depth? Wow, he's pretty ****ed up then. Would YOU turn gay to be funny? I sure hope not.

What was the last great Stewie episode when Stewie was more gay than evil, because I can't find it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

theevilpope

[122]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 6

How many other people think family guy copied simpsons?

mitu123

[123]Jul 4, 2007
    theevilpope wrote:

Watch this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vFTBRO2FeZc

theevilpope

[124]Jul 5, 2007
    MusicExpert1966 wrote:
    my complaint is that the editor, fishzone, abuses his powers as mod.
    Ithink so to.

drewshack

[125]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 47
    theevilpope wrote:
    MusicExpert1966 wrote:
    my complaint is that the editor, fishzone, abuses his powers as mod.
    Ithink so to.

You guys don't know what this place used to be like.

Now stay focused on the topic, and the show.

ZoneHero

[126]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 19
    Another major fualt is that the show has gone SO low-brow compared to the first season and being less about the stroyline.

mitu123

[127]Jul 6, 2007

I think we've heard a ton of complaints now, more than I've expected, and a lot of it repeats itself, although we can still complain more about it.

One of the biggest complaints is FOX itself:

Why cancel a show that's been doing awesome for 3 seasons in the first place? I got a weird theory that The Simpsons were doing so poorly and Family Guy was doing so well that they probably just cancel Family Guy so The Simpsons wouldn't compete against it and give The Simpsons a chance to get better, in which it didn't.

After 2 and a half years of cancellation, it came back, but FOX only brought it back for the fans, because I think they(FOX) don't like it, we(the fans) do.

But wait, to get with the times, Seth and his crew tried to make the show different to make it better, while keeping all the characters from previous seasons along with it's flashback jokes, long gags, and songs that made this show such a hit. But making it too different is a problem itself.

All the problems that people had mentioned on this forum are intact, and it's sadly true, but I think the writers made it that way to make the show better because from their point of view, they think that's what we want. Yes, but to over do it and change it too much is not a very good idea.

How about you writers go back to what made it so good in the first place and only change it whenever it's a good idea for most of us to like it, don't change it if your not sure that it could be risky like changing the characters to a point when they're completely altered for the worst, and making the flashback jokes, long gags, and songs stupider, longer and unfunny.

I hope Season 6 is the comeback season. I'll still love this show, but not the same as it was before it got cancelled.

Dmluciano

[128]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 12
    I have heard a lot of problems with the plot. I doubt it but do you think family guy will pull a robot chicken? (Just skits)

mitu123

[129]Jul 6, 2007
    Dmluciano wrote:
    I have heard a lot of problems with the plot. I doubt it but do you think family guy will pull a robot chicken? (Just skits)
    That would last 15 minutes without a commercial break if it exactly copies Robot Chicken.

Semaj86

[130]Jul 9, 2007
    mitu123 wrote:

All the problems that people had mentioned on this forum are intact, and it's sadly true, but I think the writers made it that way to make the show better because from their point of view, they think that's what we want. Yes, but to over do it and change it too much is not a very good idea.

I think including Herbert in every episode would be a perfect example. He was featured in a very popular Season 3 episode, which also happens to be one of Seth MacFarlane's favorites. At first, I didn't have a problem with him showing up sporadically, but now he's become an annoyance. We don't need to be reminded EVERY TIME that he's a pedophile, especially since no one on the show really cares. All of that could be time better spent on some of the characters they almost never focus on. (By now, they should know whom.)

soundsofsilence

[131]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 23
    Semaj86 wrote:
    mitu123 wrote:

I think including Herbert in every episode would be a perfect example. He was featured in a very popular Season 3 episode, which also happens to be one of Seth MacFarlane's favorites. At first, I didn't have a problem with him showing up sporadically, but now he's become an annoyance. We don't need to be reminded EVERY TIME that he's a pedophile, especially since no one on the show really cares. All of that could be time better spent on some of the characters they almost never focus on. (By now, they should know whom.)
    Knowing the writers they'd see the popularity of that character then s/he would be put in way too much. Then we'd get tired of the character and they'd either be killed or we'd never see them again. Adam West is the only character to not fall victim to this.

first_spartan wrote:
    Meet teh quegmires sucked
    I halfway agree.

I don't see what was so great about the episode. No to say it wasnt a good episode I just dont think it was that great. The main thing I heard about the episode on the discussion was "It seemed like an older classic Family Guy episode" (or atleast something along those lines). The only things it had that the other new ones didnt was: A)Peter did seem a LITTLE smarter B) NO HERBERT. (Thank God). But the plot was unrealistic. The older ones had atleast halfway believeable plots (HALFWAY). It had time waster jokes (Peter being reset). A callback to a joke within 2 minutes (Peter getting distracted and going dancing). It messed up 2 episodes wirth of continuity (so they could get a Micheal Jackson reference from Cleaveland more evidence that he's becoming a stereotype which i'll talk about later). Lets not forget yet another freakin Bush joke. We get it. Seth and most of the writers are Liberal and try to cram their views into the show via Brian (or a cutaway). Again: Not to say i didnt like it. I just thought it wasnt as great as everyone made it out to be.

and has anyone noticed that they've repeated themselves 3 times in the last season? Bill and Peter's bogus journey = I Never met the dead man (whichever one had Shatner follow peter for the last act and be voiced by Seth). and The Simpsons (Two bad neighbors)and American Dad (Bush comes to Dinner)already did the idea of a political figure meeting the characters.It takes a villiage idiot and I married one = Running Mates (Lois runs forsome kind of office).Boys Do Cry = To Live and Die in Dixie (They go to the south and make hick jokes for 20 minutes). And the episode Brian's song next season "Brian Feels his age and the Griffins get a new dog"... The Thin white line (1) Brian mentions being seven and not acomlishing anything. and The new dog was already done when they introduced Jasper (I forget which episode).

Edited on 08/03/2007 5:36pm
    Edited 8 total times.

mitu123

[132]Jul 15, 2007
    soundsofsilence wrote:
    Semaj86 wrote:
    mitu123 wrote:

Knowing the writers they'd see the popularity of that character then s/he would be put in way too much. Then we'd get tired of the character and they'd either be killed or we'd never see them again. Adam West is the only character to not fall victim to this.

first_spartan wrote:
    Meet teh quegmires sucked
    I halfway agree.

I don't see what was so great about the episode. No to say it wasnt a good episode I just dont think it was that great. The main thing I heard about the episode on the discussion was "It seemed like an older classic Family Guy episode" (or atleast something along those lines). The only things it had that the other new ones didnt was: A)Peter did seem a LITTLE smarter B) NO HERBERT. (Thank God). But the plot was unrealistic.

Family Guy is NEVER realistic.

soundsofsilence

[133]Jul 15, 2007
    I meant the older ones had halfway believable plots.

mitu123

[134]Jul 15, 2007
    soundsofsilence wrote:
    I meant the older ones had halfway believable plots.
    Oh, ok.

thewiseman

[135]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 9
    theevilpope wrote:

Family guy is much better then the simspons. ever since i started watching family guy i don't find the simpsons funny anymore. And to answer your question no they didn't copy the simpsons when have you ever seen a talking dog or baby in the simpsons.... never.

soundsofsilence

[137]Jul 24, 2007
    thewiseman wrote:
    theevilpope wrote:

Family guy is much better then the simspons. ever since i started watching family guy i don't find the simpsons funny anymore. And to answer your question no they didn't copy the simpsons when have you ever seen a talking dog or baby in the simpsons.... never.
    Actually maggie has said: "Moe" "This is indeed a disturbing universe" "Daddy" and she scolded bart in the Thanksgiving episode.

mitu123

[138]Jul 25, 2007
    thewiseman wrote:
    theevilpope wrote:

There was a talking dog in one Season 8 episode as it said "Find your soul mate Homer."

Semaj86

[139]Jul 25, 2007
    That was technically a coyote.

Santa's Little Helper did say "Chewy?" in another episode.

mitu123

[140]Jul 25, 2007
    Semaj86 wrote:
    That was technically a coyote.

Santa's Little Helper did say "Chewy?" in another episode.
    True.