Family Guy Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

General Family Guy Complaint Thread - Post Your Grievances Here

Super_Peter

[181]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    I get some of the random references such as iPods, black jokes, and such ... but some like "Mother Teresa ODed" and that one where that weird guy appeared out "every ten thousand years" ...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nick_Cave

[182]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 10

Ok no more Star Wars parodies that's enough! Countless and countless references all over the TV and movies has gotten me sick.

Robot Chicken' s parody was the last I will ever watch. In the end , Star Wars references , jokes and parodies are even cheaper than

fart jokes! (and Bob Saget)

nyybuckeyefnl1

[183]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 2
    AGREED!! they have got to make original episodes....they are plaguerizing; taking stuff from other shows and just adding a little twist. it drives me crazy

itscrazyman

[184]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    I was just thinking this the other day, Robot Chicken had an entire special just 3 months ago and both Seths were involved with it, so why?????

lazyjay

[185]Sep 19, 2007
    • level: 30
    My primary complaint is that the characters, rather than being caricatures of stereotypes as they were in the first 3 seasons, have become caricatures of themselves as they were in the first 3 seasons.

My secondary complaint is that the writing has become lazy. When they run out of ideas they just choose to go with whatever they think will be "edgy", rather than trying to build real plots and story lines.

My tertiary complaint is that the flashbacks are no longer funny... they used to be short funny quips, now they are dragged out far beyond the point of funniness. Case in point: Prom Night Dumpster Baby. Time filler anyone?

The first 3 seasons were pure genius, since then they have had the occasional funny episode, but mostly it's like they're trying to play to the audience's desire the see how far they can push the censors.

My main complaint (pre-primary, I guess) is that the show was so good at the beginning that I feel that I owe it my time to watch the new cr*p episodes to find the occasional gem... I've wasted a lot of time and found few gems.

FunLovin_bunnys

[186]Sep 19, 2007
    • level: 1

Yeah, i hated that Prom Night Dumpster Baby thing too.

Chazy77

[187]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 7

I agree with you guys that FG lacks the cutting edge it had in the first three seasons. But, I think we can eventually judge it and really see if it has lost its amazing and unique sense of humour after season 6 Every show has had its ups and downs and I strongly believe FG will be back !!

Edited on 09/23/2007 3:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.

FunLovin_bunnys

[188]Sep 23, 2007
    I think the episode where Peter gets a prostate exam and thinks the docter is raping him is so funny! There is nothing i can say about that episode is bad!

torque4015

[189]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 18

Why did they leave out Joe in the Star Wars parody he's the only one that wasn't there ?. Althouh the episode was one of the funniset I've seen.

itscrazyman

[190]Sep 24, 2007
    The only disappointment from last night's episode was the wind sock joke again, it was funny the first time.

simpsonian100

[191]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 12
    torque4015 wrote:

Why did they leave out Joe in the Star Wars parody he's the only one that wasn't there ?. Althouh the episode was one of the funniset I've seen.

Who would he be? Besides, Joe sucks.

stewie13100

[192]Sep 27, 2007
    Joe could've been anybody yet he does suck but I still would like to see a wheelchaired man in space. That would've been funny. Hopefully next weeks episode will be equally funny or even more.

faisal323

[194]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    It looks like Season 6 is off to a bad start. Two terrible episodes in a row.

AlexKrycec

[195]Oct 1, 2007
    drewshack wrote:
    tom_light wrote:
    "The Critic" was doing this stuff way before "Family Guy" and in a much more clever manner, might I add.
    Man...I LOVED that show. Yet another of FOX's cancellation catastrophes...

i'm glad that there's more people out there who realize family guy didn't invent "the whacky flashback." the critic was tasteful AND hillarious for its time... sadly, i can't laugh at it as much as i used to.

danil123

[196]Oct 2, 2007

If you want to watch a witty show then family guy is not for you. :

But if you want to lol non stop for 20+ minutes than family guy is the show for you.

My main problem with the show is that Ifell that they sort of "neglect" STEWIEwho is in my opinion the funniest character on the show. I want to see more episodes based on him and not on peter or brian.

that is myGrievance

FunnyTalkingDog

[197]Oct 2, 2007
    n842 wrote:

I used to really like Family Guy, but I've lost interest in it lately. I suppose what made me dislike Family Guy more than I used to is just how it much it's so politically biased. Not that I really have a problem with that, but what I didn't like is how Family Guy seems to insist that its politics are correct. To me, the show implies (if not blurts it right out) that if you even have a tiny pinch of conservative blood in you, then you are a complete foolish idiot.

You know I tried to avoid this thread since I joined up about a week ago because I liked to believe that I didn't have any real problems with the show, but I have to say if I do, this is probably it.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm in the US Navy. I do what I do so people have the freedom to believe and say what they desire. But with that said, I have noticed that Seth's politics has become so prevalent recently, that they almost become a character on the show. I understand that bashing the Bush administration is the in thing these days, but I was always under the impression that was what American Dad was for. I personally watch the show to occasionally get away from reality, not be constantly reminded of it.

I think what bothers me more than anything is that these ultra liberal view points seem to mostly come from my favorite character Brian to the point where he's almost absurd. He's supposed to be an educated liberal, not a left wing robot, which only furthers the stereotype that he's just an extension of McFarlane in the show.

But with all that said, in my opinion, it's still the best show on television, even if Seth hates Texas...

NYBrian120

[198]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 11

Sorry this is really long, but I wanted to get it all out.

I think my biggest complaint is (and I'm sure it's been mentioned probably 10 times on this thread) is the writing. And I'm not talking so much about plots as I am gags. It seems like the writers have gotten lazy (i.e. in their growing use of long-winded flashbacks and other boring fillers). Again, when I say I want to see some good writing, I don't want a drama (Movin' Out's ending). I want cleverly written jokes/cutaways/gags that make me laugh. I know it gets hard as the seasons progress and new material is hard to write. But I don't think the writers are trying hard enough. They use characters who are supposed to be minor (Herbert and Bruce especially) to the point where we almost expect them every episode. They are still funny characters and I don't want them gone, but cut their appearances and try new things. This show is all about pushing the envelope and being edgy. I don't know if FOX is making them cut down on that, but if they aren't, then the FG staff needs to test new barriers of offensiveness or disgust or whatever our sick pleasures are that make us watch this show. Don't be offensive merely to offend and piss people off (Boys Do Cry, all of the "conservatives are bad people" quotes and plots), do it in a way that makes someone laugh at themselves. Try making fun of New England or Democrats (I doubt it will ever happen, but one can hope).

This problem obviously extends to the characters too: Peter's unbelievable immaturity/retardation, Stewie's over-the-top homosexuality, Meg's psycho-b!tchy attitude and the unwarranted abuse she draws, Brian's arrogant political views, Herbert, Bruce, etc.. I know they have character traits that have to stay constant, but don't make their scenes so predictable. For example, Stewie was evil in Seasons 1-2. Then they introduced his feminine side in Season 2 and it was funny because it was different and you hadn't really expected that. But now you expect him to be gay or make a gay comment at least once in an episode. I guess the writers saw what seemed to be the most popular trait about each character and exploited it. Peter was not this stupid or cruel as he was in the earlier seasons (he loved Meg, bonded with his family, and always had good intentions). Lois's promiscuous past, brief flashes of extensive knowledge of drugs, and bad streaks were funny earlier because they contrasted with what she stood for. Now, the writers have blown that out of proportion to make her look like a whore (complete with lack of dignity). Meg was ignored, now she's hated. Brian was dry and sarcastic, now he's a smarta$$ who thinks his views are the right views. We all know what's wrong with Stewie. Chris hasn't changed much, except we don't even see him much anymore. Overall, the writers have just become lazy, or they have run out of ideas really early for a show like this. Put some thought into this stuff! Don't just throw crap together because it's easier and you think it's what we want. The show's not clever anymore, and I hope this changes, otherwise it will get cancelled (again), but this time because the fans are tired of being disappointed.

FunnyTalkingDog

[199]Oct 4, 2007
    I have to say that was one of the best put "the writing sucks" complains I've read, bravo.

somethinghidden

[200]Oct 4, 2007
    NYBrian120 wrote:

Sorry this is really long, but I wanted to get it all out.

I think my biggest complaint is (and I'm sure it's been mentioned probably 10 times on this thread) is the writing. And I'm not talking so much about plots as I am gags. It seems like the writers have gotten lazy (i.e. in their growing use of long-winded flashbacks and other boring fillers). Again, when I say I want to see some good writing, I don't want a drama (Movin' Out's ending). I want cleverly written jokes/cutaways/gags that make me laugh. I know it gets hard as the seasons progress and new material is hard to write. But I don't think the writers are trying hard enough. They use characters who are supposed to be minor (Herbert and Bruce especially) to the point where we almost expect them every episode. They are still funny characters and I don't want them gone, but cut their appearances and try new things. This show is all about pushing the envelope and being edgy. I don't know if FOX is making them cut down on that, but if they aren't, then the FG staff needs to test new barriers of offensiveness or disgust or whatever our sick pleasures are that make us watch this show. Don't be offensive merely to offend and piss people off (Boys Do Cry, all of the "conservatives are bad people" quotes and plots), do it in a way that makes someone laugh at themselves. Try making fun of New England or Democrats (I doubt it will ever happen, but one can hope).

This problem obviously extends to the characters too: Peter's unbelievable immaturity/retardation, Stewie's over-the-top homosexuality, Meg's psycho-b!tchy attitude and the unwarranted abuse she draws, Brian's arrogant political views, Herbert, Bruce, etc.. I know they have character traits that have to stay constant, but don't make their scenes so predictable. For example, Stewie was evil in Seasons 1-2. Then they introduced his feminine side in Season 2 and it was funny because it was different and you hadn't really expected that. But now you expect him to be gay or make a gay comment at least once in an episode. I guess the writers saw what seemed to be the most popular trait about each character and exploited it. Peter was not this stupid or cruel as he was in the earlier seasons (he loved Meg, bonded with his family, and always had good intentions). Lois's promiscuous past, brief flashes of extensive knowledge of drugs, and bad streaks were funny earlier because they contrasted with what she stood for. Now, the writers have blown that out of proportion to make her look like a whore (complete with lack of dignity). Meg was ignored, now she's hated. Brian was dry and sarcastic, now he's a smarta$$ who thinks his views are the right views. We all know what's wrong with Stewie. Chris hasn't changed much, except we don't even see him much anymore. Overall, the writers have just become lazy, or they have run out of ideas really early for a show like this. Put some thought into this stuff! Don't just throw crap together because it's easier and you think it's what we want. The show's not clever anymore, and I hope this changes, otherwise it will get cancelled (again), but this time because the fans are tired of being disappointed.

I've agreed so much that it hurts!!!!