Family Guy

Grumpy Old Man

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 11, 2011 on FOX

6.2
  • Awesome episode

That episode was hilarious. I especially enjoyed the Fiona Apple thing - Joe was damn hilarious in there. There are lots of funny stuff in there, i was pleasantly surprised cause this didn't sound like something good to begin with (I'm not too fond of Lois' parents and the episode where Peter replaced Carter at the head of the company was pretty bad). But they made something damn good out of this and I had some good laughs, which I guess is what you're supposed to get out of watching FG, right ?
  • family guy grumpy old man

this was an okay episode of family guy it had its moments such a stewie eating snow with brian's pee thinking it was a lemon snowcone and the people pausing the movie so they could ask questions other than that this was an okay episode
  • not good but...

the episode was pretty bad, but the line of: That's it, the Penis one..... MADE IT ALL PERFECT, IS ONE OF THEIR BEST AND DUMBEST JOKES
  • Grumpy Old Man

Carter has always been one of Family Guy's better supporting characters, but this episode revolving around him just did not entertain me. They muted the character's usual humor too much and it just was not funny. Joe was annoying, Peter was annoying, there was no point to any of this really. Sorry Family Guy, but I didn't like it.
  • Worse than last weeks' but better than last years' but still bad.

Carter falls asleep while driving and almost kills Stewie and Babs. Everybody thinks he should go to a retirement home. After a great episode last week, we've returned to going downhill. Peter was a jerk on treating the elderly and even treating Carter like a baby. Seeing Peter drive Carter around would have been fun but instead we get a bad plot on how seniors are treated. Carter is a good character but I wished he gets a better plot. This wasn't funny.
  • Christmas Review #27

After Lois's father, Carter, falls asleep while driving, the Griffins realize he is getting close to retirement, and visit retirement communities in Florida. Although, it's not a Christmas episode but FOX promoted it as a Christmas episode so that's why I waited til' Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (I picked Christmas Day as you can clearly see) to review this episode. Man, let me just say that this episode is beyond underrated. Oh come on people, this episode wasn't terrible at all. Yeah, I understand that it could have been better but it's wasn't like the most god awful episode I've seen and not even close. This episode wasn't offensive except for the "9/11 cutaway with the man being happier than ever surviving that day" (which lowered my score a little because of that). My score was also a little low because I do agree that a few parts in this episode were getting a little boring. According to others, most of the parts in the episode were boring but not for me though. But yeah, "Family Guy" has much worse episodes than this one. The storyline is pretty decent but not the best though... it's watchable at least. The parts that did make me laugh were the albino part in the beginning of the episode, Brian tricking Stewie into thinking that it's lemon snow when it is actually pee (of course), Mayor West's appearance with the whole being a good parent by taking of an egg and the part when he asked for a doctor to take his egg to the hospital room when it broke was hilarious, Joe's Fiona Apple Tribute video (literally couldn't stop laughing at the part), the cutaway with Peter and Lois having phone sex, the cutaway with Carter being scared of ghosts and then Peter gets convinced that ghosts are real so they both go under the blanket, the bingo scene, and the very ending of the episode with Peter talking to his mom on the phone. Overall, despite a few parts getting a little boring and that offensive 9/11 cutaway, this was a superb episode of "Family Guy". 9/10
  • Grumpy Old Man

What i liked- Peter talking to his mother on the phone at the end of the episode, the Bingo scene, the albino guy at the beginning of the episode, amongst other things.

wasn't really feeling it here. It was not that humorous and I got bored through it. But there were a few parts that made me chuckle. C+ or so as my final grade
  • Finally got a chance to watch it online.

1.5
    After Lois's father, Carter, falls asleep while driving, the Griffins realize he is getting close to retirement, and visit retirement communities in Florida. overall this episode had the most boring-ass plot ever , I honestly don't care for old guys looking for retirement homes, nothing too special in this episode, I liked when Stewie was screaming in the car, but that's it.

1.5/10
  • The run of poor episodes continue

Not quite plumming the depths of the awful "Amish Guy" but still falling flat is "Grumpy Old Man". Ironically, despite two new writers churning out this episode, it felt lame, old and tired. PerhapsDave Ihlenfeld & David Wright decided their best bet was to just cut and paste from different episodes and come up with some kind of Frankenstein patchwork of bad, predictable, stock Family Guy jokes.

I was really hoping season 10 might improve over season 9 but so far, there's been a glut of poor episodes and it doesn't look like its about to change.

• Not as good as I thought it would be...

No, this is such a reused episode where the family does something different and then at the end it goes back where it started. Nothing made me laugh but the only thing I thought was a little funny was the Alzheimer's army guy but then the Bingo thing ruined it. I didn't like it and I can't believe I'm saying this but I thought the Cleveland show episode was better than this..

• Not the greatest, but not that bad...

Seems this weeks episode is taking a bit of a battering in the reviews, and I would not disagree with most of the points raised.

Family guy is definately running out of ideas, and some of the gags are just crass.

But this weeks episode had its moments, a few jokes that acually raised a laugh from me. (something the show has been struggling to do for a while)

The story served its purpose, but seemed rushed in places with no real direction or point. Someone else made a fantastic point about Louis appearing to not give a hoot that her son was almost just killed. Looking back at it, this did seem incredibly odd.

Overall, not the best material but worth a watch if you really like family guy.

• I did not approve of this episode.

It was not as horrifically repellant as some, which actually made me question whether I wanted to watch the show anymore, but it was still unpleasant veiwing ... specifically, this scene (Warning, spoilers, admittedly implied by the episode summary):

After Carter falls asleep at the wheel and causes a multi-car pile up, Joe shows up at the hospital to revoke his driver's license. Lois' reaction? "Please, Joe, can't you just look the other way?"

Really? Really, Lois? Your father just nearly killed himself, your mother, and your infant son, and you still think he should drive? Oh, and all those other people in the car crash, too. And your first reaction is "oh no, please don't take away his license"?

If that's an accurate sample of your parenting, (and from the rest of the series, yeah, it is,) no wonder Stewie hates you enough to be matricidal. Or have you finally noticed, and now you're trying to kill him first? After all, who would be callous enough to imply that the woman who just lost her parents and youngest child in a car wreck secretly wanted one or more ofthem dead?

Lois Pewterschmidt-Griffin, you are a terrible mother, a terrible daughter, and an irresponsible citizen.

PTV