Family Guy

I Dream of Jesus

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 05, 2008 on FOX

• Surfin' Bird is awesome, but no thanks for the Jesus part

The Surfin' Bird running gag was awesome, but the plot with Jesus afterwards was quite boring. Still a good grade (8/10) just for the best running gag in FG.
  • When everybody says the bird is the word!

A classic still talked nostalgic episode from 2008.
  • FUNNIEST EPISODE!

I love this episode. I usually hate repetitive jokes, but somehow they made it work! Christian people, stop being so sensitive and laugh at your own religion once in a while. I'm Jewish and I found the episode Family Goy hilarious. LONG LIVE FAMILY GUY!!!!!!!!!

• Jesus and a bird and a yeti.

A tad nonsensical (as is expected from Family Guy) and the premise doesn't really conclude that well. But props for giving The Cramps another ten seconds of fame.

As for the whole Jesus thing...he was characterised poorly and the jokes surrounding him were a little trite and stupid.

Fun on a drunken night regardless. :)
  • Once again, a boring ep of Family Guy

When Peter becomes completely obsessed with "Surfin' Bird", a 1963 hit song from the Trashmen, Brian and Stewie are determined to destroy every last copy of it. When Peter goes searching every record store in Quahog for it, he runs into Jesus, who decides to make his second coming. This episode was a little better than the season opener but it is still boring. I did liked the Surfing Bird gag, that was funny to watch, but it is not the funniest running gag. Other funny parts are Stewie putting the gun to his nose, Brian and Stewie destroy the CD, Peter finding Jesus, Lois' breasts grow and Brian's reaction (freakin' random), the cow going "Whoo, I'm in Hollywood," the ending, and a couple more parts. Overall 6/10
  • ATROCIOUS. Their was no real premise, and portraying Christ in this fashion is totally out of line. As if Jesus was immature, right, like he would have died a sacrificial death if he was. McFarlane says "I'm irreverent, that makes me funny". Disappointing

THIS WAS ATROCIOUS. Their was no real premise, and portraying Christ in this fashion is totally out of line. As if Jesus was immature, right, like he would have died a sacrificial death if he wasn't. The only funny section was the "Office Space" reference. Seth McFarlane should give up now. Rather than being inventive and funny he relies on disgusting people to show how "nonconformist" and "edgy" he is. As if anybody cares about what he thinks, when he clearly produces such crap. I hope that the rest of this season isn't some ridiculous shock fest that is void of any real humor. Distasteful to say the least.
  • Great idea, but an awful execution once again proves Seth's lack of creativity in this show.

It's amazing how Seth can be able to turn a good idea of an episode so bad in so little time. When I saw promos for this episode it looked like an amazing episode, but sadly it was all hyped up with very little substance. In this episode of Family Guy, the Griffins go to a 50s style restaurant and while eating Peter hears his favorite song, Surfing Bird. He goes on a dance montage, and after being able to take the record home he plays it all the time, sings it, and makes jokes about it that leads to him singing it. Now it was funny the first couple of times, but it got irritating fast and lost it's humor. To make things worse this episode uses this joke for the first 10 minutes of this show, that's almost half an episode right there. Stewie and Brian decide to take the record and destroy it in an Office Space reference joke that was pretty good. Peter decides to go find a new record of Surfing Bird, and in one record store finds Jesus Christ himself. Now you would think that this would be an excellent plot device. Peter meeting Jesus Christ and having fun together sounds so great, but Seth proves again how he can waste such a good plot idea. Peter and Jesus decide to hang out together and eventually word is spread of Jesus' return and Jesus hangs out more with celebrities instead of Peter. Now I can understand that they wanted to portray Jesus as a flawed person, but honestly this was such a poor attempt to make him one. I will admit I am a Christian and I can fund religious jokes funny, but how this episode portrays Jesus Christ as a person who abandons his friends for better ones is an awful parody. If Jesus was tempted by like a reincarnation of the Anti-Christ then that would make an excellent use of plot device, but Jesus acting like an uncaring person in most of the episode was dreadful, and unfunny. Eventually Peter finds Jesus in jail and scolds him for his behavior. Jesus understands and decides to leave Earth again knowing that the people aren't ready for him. Why he thinks that when there are so many people who want to see him is beyond me. The episode ends with Peter being granted a gift from Jesus, another record of Surfing Bird and him dancing again. This plot had such good potential in it, but it was such a waste of effort, and shows Family Guy's continuing downfall from grace. The jokes got really old fast, Jesus was portrayed as a jerk instead of a kind man, and the episode relied too much on the Surfing Bird gag. I know several friends who saw this episode and some were Atheists and even they said that the way Jesus was portrayed was awful. Hopefully Seth will never try something like this ever again, and you are advised to steer clear of this episode.
  • This is just plain boring

This has to be one of the worst episode of family guy, please avoid this episode.

1/10

• Started funny, became terrible

In this episode of Family Guy, the Griffins go out to dinner at a 50's diner, and while there Peter's all-time favorite song, Surfin Bird by the Trashmen, plays and he loves it, and he eventually gets the copy of it. Excluding many of the bad racist and handicapped jokes at the diner, I actually enjoyed the Surfin Bird jokes, I found pretty funny. What I didn't find funny was everything after Peter meets Jesus at a record store. I'm Christian and usually I don't let religious jokes get to me, but when half the episode is about jesus becoming a total jerk, it's very hard for me to laugh at it. I will say though I liked the very end when Peter got another copy of Surfin Bird from Jesus. Overall, I liked the premise of Surfin Bird and Peter's obssesion with it, but the deciption of Jesus ruined the rest of it for me. One of the worsts for sure. 2/10 F------------------
  • A mediocre "Family Guy" episode of Season 7

I didn't think that this episode was that great. This episode actually started out good but then this episode just got weaker as it went along. I thought that song "Surfin' Bird" that Peter just kept on playing and singing was so annoying and it seemed like it just went on forever. I mean I like to hear "Surfin' Bird" from Peter rather than the band Trashmen who sang it because it was horrible but the "Surfin' Bird" song actually sounds better when Peter sings it. It was funny the first 2-3 minutes Peter sang the "Surfin' Bird" song but then it just got plain annoying. I'm a catholic person so I didn't like the fact that Peter actually met Jesus at the record store but I'm not letting him get in the way even though it's mainly why my score is so low. That's what I don't like about Seth MacFarlane sometimes... he makes an episode that deals with religion or at least has a symbol of religion. Mayor West's cameo appearance was also hilarious. I thought it was hilarious when Brian and Stewie bought all of the "Surfin' Bird" records at the store so Peter won't play it. It was pretty funny when Peter requested Jesus that he would make Lois' boobs larger. Jesus also making his appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and MTV Movie Awards was very funny. The parts that really dragged was when everyone was wondering if Jesus really is Jesus Christ and he does it by giving everyone at the table sundaes, Jesus neglecting Peter's friendship with him wasn't good at all, and Jesus being found in Mary-Kate Olsen's apartments. I really hated that the writers portrayed Jesus Christ as an immature man which he isn't in real life so that's offended me. The ending was hilarious when Peter sang the song "Surfin' Bird" (AGAIN) even though I was annoyed enough by it in the beginning of the episode. Anyways, the way the writers portrayed Jesus Christ was unexceptable. Overall, this episode was just mediocre and I hope Seth MacFarlane makes better episodes than this and stop using religion that would offend people like me besides some of the funny moments that were in this episode. 5/10

Note: marebear2009 requested me to review this episode.
  • A pretty good episode, but not one of the best.

This is one of those episodes that has gotten some pretty mixed reviews. Pretty much everyone seems to either love or hate it. I personally didn't think it was bad at all, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. The Surfin' Bird scenes were the funniest to me, especially when Stewie and Brian destroyed the record in the "Office Space" parody. I also thought it was funny when Peter went to the record story and asked for a new record and Jesus said "Sorry, a dog and a baby bought all 63 copies." Mayor West's cameo was also hilarious. Halfway through the episode, though, once Peter met Jesus in the record store, it started to get kind of boring, and I really didn't like how Jesus was portrayed as immature in this episode. I did think it was funny when Jesus blew up Lois' breasts, though, and the ending was hilarious but somewhat predictable. So, overall, I thought this was a pretty good episode, although I can understand why quite a few people don't like it. Final grade: B-. Marebear2009, out!

~dedicated to tigerdude22~
  • Do you love or hate this episode? Well that depends if you don't (want to) know that the bird is the word!

"I Dream Of Jesus"

Grade: B

Well, its one of those Family Guy episodes that gets alot of both hate and love, depending on whether or not you find Peter's "Surfin Bird" actions funny. If you don't find it amusing the first time, you will hate this episode. Thankfully, for myself I was cracking up everytime Peter did "The Bird Is The Word", but the Jesus plot was also fairly decent in my opinion too.

The episode begins with Peter heading to a diner and discovering that one of the songs that plays there is Surfin Bird by The Trashmen. Peter takes the record home and constantly plays it for about 5-10 minutes of the episode, which annoys the whole family. Brian and Stewie get so annoyed by it, that they end up smashing the record up. Peter is outraged at this and heads to all the record stores to buy another copy of Surfin Bird right away!
    In one of the record stores, Peter notices that the store owner looks like Jesus. He is revealed to be Jesus and Peter invites him over to dinner with the family. Peter tells Jesus that he should reveal himself and enjoy his life back on Earth. Jesus starts to get publicity from the public, and gets famous as a result.
    However, Peter starts getting annoyed with this as he tries to join in on whatever Jesus wants to do. Jesus deliberately doesn't answer the phone while he is clubbing out, and Peter knows because he answers to Lois and not him. Jesus ends up getting in trouble and going to Jail, and concludes that he's not ready to be back on Earth yet, and may revisit in another 1000 years.
    With Jesus gone, Jesus gives Peter a reward for helping him, and much to the annoyance of his family, it is a copy of Surfin Bird by The Trashmen, in which Peter ends the episode with by dancing to.

Overall, I thought this episode was really funny, but if you don't like the song or find it annoying, you will not like this and that's understandable. The Jesus plot was good and had a fair share of jokes, such as when they are at the dinner table and Peter tells Jesus to make Lois' breasts bigger, with Brian stunned at this, to Stewie almost wanting to shoot himself after Peter plays Surfin Bird too much. Overall, one of the funnier new episodes and decent in my opinion.
  • surfin' bird is one of the most annoying things ever...

this episode started off OK, somewhat. I actually take the surfin bird thing over how they portrayed Jesus. I'm Catholic and whilst I try not to let things like Jesus jokes ruin episodes for me, when the entire episode is about them, i find it hard to laugh it off. Whilst Surfin Bird is annoying it was actually tolerable, unlike how they portrayed Jesus. Overall this episode started off OK, but ended terribly. My overall grade would be at least a D or so. It is watchable but I am in no hurry to watch it again, that's for sure
  • Have you not heard?....

Oh well the bird bird bird - b-bird's the word! Oh well the bird bird bird - b-bird's the word!

"I Dream Of Jesus" is a mixed bag episode.

The first half of the episode is very funny (though it becomes taxing after a certain point) when Peter drives everyone nuts with his obsession over the 1960s song "Surfin' Bird" and Brian & Stewie's destruction of "Surfin' Bird" album in an Office Space fashion was a clever spoof.

But the episode spirals down into mediocrity once Family Guy once again plays the politics and religion card in their stupid and degrading depiction of Jesus and subsequent sophomoric political commentary.

Well, the episode started off funny enough - only to end in a burning heap of a train wreck.
  • The bird is the word!

The Griffins go to eat at a 50's diner, and Peter's favorite song Surfin' Bird plays. He takes the record home and begins playing it and singing it all the time, and everyone else hates it. Stewie and Brian break it, so Peter goes to a record store to buy a new copy, but their all sold out. He soon realizes that Jesus Christ works there, and him and Peter become great friends. But Jesus betrays him, and Peter has to bail him out of jail, and Jesus rewards him with a copy of Surfin' Bird.

This was an okay episode. The Surfing Bird scenes were by far the funniest, but the rest of the episode was pretty boring, except for the Dane cook part.

Overall Grade: 75%/C+
  • Best episode of the past two seasons

I loved every minute of this episode. Ignore the guy who said that this was the worst episode ever. He doesn't know what he is talking about. The real Jay Leno has never been on Family Guy before.

Anyways, the Surfin' Bird song was priceless. I never got tired of the joke. The Office Space reference was hillarious. Jesus Christ was pretty funny too.

To all the classic Family Guy fans. I understand that Family Guy will never be as good as its golden years, but that doesn't mean you have to trash every single Family Guy episode from the newer years

Overall, I am speechless about how good this episode was. I am going to post the lyrics in my blog right now :lol:
  • Not a good episode.

I just did not like this episode. I mean it starts off funny, there were great gags, like Peter repeatedly playing that Surfin' Bird record and then Stewie and Brian destroying it in an Office Space parody. But up to the point where Peter goes to the record store and meets Jesus, the episode just really dragged. Jokes like Jesus wanting to buy a "cracked" magazine and the who's weekend was worse were more offensive than funny and I hated how they portrayed Jesus as immature. That was really tasteless and stupid. Also, the story became really boring after the whole thing about Jesus becoming famous and doing stand-up, and it had me wishing that the episode was over. Overall, this episode was disappointing. I hope the series improves.
  • Surfi'n Bird is in this episode!!!

Well everybody's heard about the bird! Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !Everybody's heard about the bird !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !Don't you know about the bird?Well everybody's heard about the bird !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! Yeah !Well everybody's heard, about the bird !Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-a-ma-ma-ma ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma Everybody's heard, about the bird !Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma
    ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma! Everybody's heard, about the bird!Everybody's heard, about the bird !
    Don't you know about the bird?
    Well everybody's heard, about the bird !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! Yeah!

SURFIN' BIRD!!!! blrblrlblrblrblr!!!!!! bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu bu ooh ma ma ma ma oh ma ma ma! ooh ma ma ma ma am ma ma! ma ma ma! ma ma ma ma! ma ma ma ma! oh maw maw maw ooh ma ma ma! ma ma ma ma!
    Don't You Know About The Bird? Well everybody's heard, about the bird !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !
    Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !Well everybody's heard, about the bird !Yeah everybody's heard, about the bird !Everybody's heard, about the bird !

Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma
    ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma
    ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma

Don't you know about the bird?
    Well everybody's heard, about the bird !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! (Claps)Everybody's heard, about the bird ![Repeat 8 times]
    Yeah!!!

Everybody's heard about the bird !Everybody's heard about ... bird !Bird bird bird. ma-ma-ma-ma-
  • Peter becomes obsessed with "bird is the word" and when he ventures out to find a new record he runs into jesus christ.

While i am happy family guy is starting to go back to their roots im still not pleased, I'm a huge fan and honestly some of the long drawn out repetitive nonsense is funny, this just got very old very fast the 'bird is the word' song just seemed like too much filler, other than that the episode was good, but i think it could be better. I really did like the fact that there was an office space reference when stewie and brian destroyed the record.

all in all it was a good episode for the most part, but i think it could have had a little less filler.
  • My god, I loved.

With no words can be this episode described.
    By the way didn't you know that.....
    the word is the bird. Well it is now.

Can Seth MacFarlane be more of a genius?

I like everybody in this episode, especially Peter. Jesus Christ was also great: - I love you Jesus! - I love you too fellow. (To Meg)

"Jesus Christ and the Pussycat dolls"

The part with Brian and Stewie breaking the record is just amazing. ( He didn't know that every dog had its day )

This is definitely a fresh episode with a fresh idea never before seen.

There is one thing I didn't like tough: that is not involving all the characters in the story. Because of that I give it 9.
  • The worst episode of Family Guy ever.

1.5
    If you tuned in on Sunday night and expected some laughs you left disappointed. Last season of Family Guy was atrocious, and after an average season premiere, I thought this year might be different. Well, I was partially correct. It is different because it's even worse.

For the first 10 minutes we saw Peter sing a terrible song titled "Surfin Bird". Seriously. What was that horrible Jay Leno? Leno's actually appeared on the show before, so I don't know why he didn't do it here. Even worse, they couldn't have gotten a somewhat decent impression of him?

The only good thing in this episode was Ike Barinholtz doing his Dane Cook impression. During his MADtv tenure he portrayed the character many times and was always spot on, you know, except for the fact that he was funny.

This episode makes all those horrible installments from last year look like installments of Lost.
  • Started out strong. Finished in a less than desirable way.

When Peter becomes completely obsessed with "Surfin' Bird", a 1963 hit song from the Trashmen, Brian and Stewie are determined to destroy every last copy of it. When Peter goes searching every record store in Quahog for it, he runs into Jesus, who decides to make his second coming. I loved the start of this episode with Peter singing the bird is the word, and the whole episode was going very well. That is until right after Jesus goes on Jay Leno than the plot started running out of steam and it was not as enjoyable. I guess it was still entertaining. 8/10 or C+
  • A-well now, everybody's heard about the bird...

This episode starts off with a BANG, or in this case a BIRD, as Peter becomes obsessed with Surfin' Bird. With the family going nuts, Brian and Stewie take matters into their own hands. While the record's Office Space-style death made me wanna cheer, the episode peaks here. When Peter meets Jesus in a record store, the show goes downhill. By the time Jesus is on the Tonight Show, I'm moaning at the low-grade impersonation of Jay Leno. There are a few funny moments in the second half of the show; Jesus blowing up Lois' breasts, Stewie's conversation with Perez Hilton, but this episode doesn't remain consistent. Thankfully, this episode does end the way it began, with a "bird bird bird, bird is the word!"
  • Have you not heard? I though everyone had heard...

It seems there is a case of black or white with this episode: you love it, or you hate it. Personally, I loved it.

Yes, I´ll admit this season of Family Guy has definitely been a much lower level than the previous ones. And I will even admit that took a very long time getting to the main plot of the episode. But, it´s Family Guy. The narrative structure of what a Family Guy episode has to ben should not always have to be respect. I mean, if this structure includes the posibility of having a flashback of Hitler juggling on a unicycle, then I´ll have to say we´re not talking about traditional storytelling.

"I dream of Jesus" strikes me as a good episode, with a decent storyline and the usual amount of excentricities that Family Guy has. What made me love it was Surfin´ Bird. Peter singing almost through the entire twenty minutes almost had me in tears.

I guess I just love repetitions.
  • One of the worst this season.

This episode was not that good and there where only a few funny parts except the Office Space parody when Stewie and Brian destroyed the record. Another hillarious part is when Jesus engorged Lois' breasts and Brian's jaw dropped and when Jesus called Meg a fella. I also liked the the parts when Peter sung Surfin Bird. Other then that the episode was mildly funny oh let me say it started out funny then progresively got worse as the episode progressed. Overall an episode I will not watch that much and one of the worst this season and I liked this episode the second time I saw it but now I realise this is a bad episode.
  • Showing a few glimmers of humor doesn't make up for the flaws in this episode.

When a song has more run time in an episode than it does on a record, it is not a good sign. The eventual destruction of the record was certainly nice, but didn't come early enough for my tastes, and could have been done more amusingly and creaively than directly parodying Office Space.

If it weren't for Jesus informing George Bush "I've heard what you're saying. You know nothing of my work. How you ever got to be president of anything is totally amazing," I probably wouldn't have even cracked a smile, and apparently even that was an allusion to some movie I haven't seen before.

Peter riding on Jesus coatails struck me as nothing but annoying, though I must admit, Peter almost always annoys me.

It seems to me this could have been a funny sub-plot, but was just too watered down to be a central story.
  • Peter goes to the record store and finds Jesus Christ...

Another awesome episode! Loved it. My favorite part was when Jesus made Lois' boobs really big, and Brian's mouth dropped! It was a hilarious episode, and I laughed so hard! Another great part was when Jesus walked on water, then everybody knew that it was Jesus, so Peter comes in and says, "And his best pal Peter! Yay! Yay! Yay!" Very funny! I also liked it when they did the cutaway gag to Star Jone's arms, and how fat they were. It was funny! If you are a fan of Family Guy, you will love this episode a lot! You really should watch it!
  • Just Great! Nothing else i can say but great!

Loved this episode! What was the funniest was Peter saying The Bird is the word over and over! Nice to see jesus, but some people might get mad that they made fun Jesus but its a comedy show lol. Besides that, I think the scene where Stewie and Brain beat up peters record was funny as well! And what was also funny was when peter went to the record store and asked do you Have Surfin Bird? And Jesus ( who was a worker there) said sorry but a Dog and a baby ( stewie and Brain) bought all the copies was funny!
  • Yes, the bird IS the word!

This episode wasn't that bad actually. It had all the things expected from Family Guy... Humor, and flashbacks. The episode is pretty good compared to most of the recent episodes. It wasn't like the some of the recent ones where you're barely laughing at all. Let me give you a brief plot here. Peter heads down to a retro 50's diner and all of a sudden hears his favorite song: Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen. Peter asks one of the people who work at the diner if he can keep it. He gets the record and brings it home. Sadly, the whole family is drived crazy by the song, because Peter Plays it over and over again.
    Brian and Stewie end up destroying the record. Peter Rushes to the old record store to get another copy of Surfin' Bird, and sees Jesus behind the cash register. Peter tries to get Jesus seen in public, and, he succeeds. With Jesus now famous, he sadly gets into trouble, and Peter comes to see him at the local Jail.

Jesus says to Peter that the world is not ready for him, and says he will return someday. Before he leaves, Jesus gives Peter a gift, a new surfin' bird record. That's the whole show. Overall, a good episode. - a n d e r s o n 5 8 7
  • When Brian and Stewie destroy Peters copy of 'Surfin Bird', Peter goes to find a new copy and meets Jesus at the record store.

I usually watch a whole episode before judging, but this episode was so gosh awful, I barely made it to the half way point. Exactly why did Brian Scully think the idea of Peter singing 'Surfin Bird' over and over and over and over and over ad nauseum was even REMOTELY funny? Because ITS NOT! I felt the same way Brian and Stewie felt. The only part of that episode that had any laughs at all was the destruction of the record and EVEN that wasnt original.Also, am I the only one that thinks the take offs of iconic scenes from cult classics is getting a little old? I already felt the show went over the shark last year when Brian found out he had a kid, but this sends it sailing way over to the point of no return. Note to Seth McFarlene: not everything Peter does has to be so annoying you want to change the station! This show become completely unwatchable, which is really sad, because it was so good just a few years ago. I hateto say this, but even the Simpsons is a better show right now and it is just as unfunny. Its a shame because King of the Hill is being cancelled even though its still at a high level(hows this for irony, that scene of Brian and Stewie smashing that record was stolen from the movie "Office Space", which was directed by KOTHs Mike Judge!) and American Dad might be the best animated series on Fox right now(though it was created by Seth McFarlene, which has me a little worried)
< 1 2