Family Guy

Jerome is the New Black

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 22, 2009 on FOX

6.6
  • Lois had sex with a black guy but Brian's the one getting hammered...

I'm not going to dwell too much on the A plot with Lois and Jerome, it was average with a few okay jokes and not a terrible ammount of substance and everything works out as you think it would with trying to replace a main cast member.

The real story is with the B plot, Brian trying to impress Quagmire, trying to figure out why he "hates him". At first it seemed like Brian was just unlucky and the whole thing could be a misunderstanding (the joke with Quagmire's sister gettomg beaten was somewhat funny but went substantially too far). The episode seemed average to slightly above average until the last few minutes. Quagmire calling Brian out on all the crap he pulls really made sense to me even if it was a bit too harsh, seriously I felt hurt by that and it was just a TV show. However, it needed to be said, Seth Macfarland has been using Brian's character as an Executive Avatar too much lately and something needed to be done with all his autobiographical episode and preaching. Most of it was a good message but Family Guy gets too heavy-handed when they push issues, which is exactly what they accuse others of.

While it wasn't the same old Quagmire doing the yelling, it did give the character some depth and it's interesting to see someone disagree with Brian and give a reasonable debate against Brian's perspective. Not everyone who speaks out against the far left is an idiot (though many are) and it was just nice to see. I suppose defeating an Executive Avatar with an Executive Avatar is an interesting way to go. Giving another side to the potrayed doctrine is normally fair and I respect the ideals more now that they've come under fire, the reasonable doubt this episode brings makes the other "I'm Seth Macfarland and you will watch what I believe and everyone else is stupid" episodes tolerable.
FOX