Family Guy

Mr. Griffin Goes to Washington

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 25, 2001 on FOX

• Peter become president at Washington

Peter's toy company gets bought out by the El Dorado Cigarettes company, and the toys are then used to market cigarettes to children. When Peter, on Lois's advice, confronts his new bosses about their evil use of toys, they promote Peter to president to shut him up. Lois, pleased with all the perks that come with Peter's new position, keeps her mouth shut too, while Brian quits smoking in protest. Peter's bosses send him to Washington to lobby against a bill that would put them out of business, because they figure politicians will be able to relate to a big dumb fat guy. When Lois finds Stewie smoking a cigarette, she goes down to Washington to stop what Peter's doing, and Peter ends up getting the El Dorado Cigarettes company fined $100,000,000. Brian helps himself to a cigarette as the family drives away. Not a perfect episode though it was superb. My only problems here was Brian getting a little annoying here (he usually has his jerky self in the newer episodes), and the ending was dragged. Besides those, it made me laugh. The funny parts are Lois' dream about Stewie, Peter lying to Mr. Weed that he was killed in an accident (then Mr. Weed is actually at the game), Peter taking off his shirt (putting sausage, mustard, and drink in his nose, funny, but gross), "I'm nude on ice," Dick Army joke, and a couple. Overall, expect for those two problems, I enjoyed the episode. 9/10
  • Finally a step up from the first two episodes

What I liked:

-Dick Armey

- Baby smokes alot

-Brian withdrawling on nicotine

-Martha Stewart

-Peter's plot

10/10

• Cheap Imitation of a Simpson's Episode

Does no one realize the basic plot of this is just a cheap imitation of Simspon's season 4 (1992!) episode "Lisa the Beauty Queen" where Lisa gets sponsored by a cigarette company but complies with their propoganda until she sees her baby sister and all the little kids of Springfield starting to smoke? I know that Family guy was originally just a cheap knock off of all the Simpson's mania, but they should at least have been able to come up with some sort of originality for their episodes, rather than relying on ideas that have already been done and proven popular in that context. What cheapness.
  • Brilliant!

I felt that this was a really interesting episode which had some funny moments. Although, what really won me over was the storyline, which was terrific in this episode.

I thought that it was really well written and the humour element was well constructed, ultimately providing an excellent episode, which was just great!

I wouldn't consider this as one of the best episodes, but it is still a worthwhile one, and I think it is rewatchable.

I recommend this episode quite highly, because of the factors I mentioned above. I do think that this is the best episode of the season so far, even though it is only the third episode.
  • a funny take on Mr. Smith goes to Washington

Some of the funniest Family Guy episodes are spoofs of popular movies. And this one proves to be no different in a satiric take on Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. This time around, it's about the insidious and elaborate lengths a cigarette company will take to get people hooked on their product. And most of the time, the episode is not far off point. Exageratted maybe, but not far off point. The El Dorado Cigarette Company, who recently bought out the toy company where Peter works, needs a clueless "everyman" to go to Washington and speak on their behalf to the government that smoking is good for you and of course, Peter is the man for the job. Peter gets bought along the way wih some nice quirks and bonuses and it's the age-old dilemma of selling your soul for some necessities theme. Brian is often the voice of reason, even though he's hypocritical because he smokes. Lois is the first one to come to her senses and Peter slowly has to realize how evil the cigarette company is, with some political spoofing along the way. Not to mention some good natured humor on how many times Family Guy itself has been sued. It's a goodnatured, funny spoof episode and it remains to be a series classic.
  • Yes, a very good episode and much better than last week's show

The quitting smoking plot was hell as hilarious man, Brian giving up smoking in the process, and then there was Peter becoming the presidant of the "Anti-Smoking law".

Hell, it was kind of humorous when Stewie began to cough continiously during a conference thing.
    Not much more to say, but I really liked this one because of the storyline, the major comeback from the dullish episode last week, and the few comedy parts seen. Season 3 is back on it's feet again, which was cool.

Lastly, who can trust Peter Griffin? The presidant of anything?! Lol, that was the best part in my opinion.
  • Okay episode.

This was an okay episode. Not great, but good. Maybe a little in between, but the episode is not all that great. I did enjoy it a little, though. I found that the episode could actually be an episode that teaches you a lesson, and it's also a funny one too.. or was but I got pretty used to the humor in old Family Guy episodes.

A cigarette buys the toy company Peter works in and Peter is president of the United States of America! He's worse than Bush. No. He's president of the cigarette company and is soon a spokesperson or what ever it's called.
  • A great episode that attacks the smoking industry and the sale of tobacco... Loved it all the way through.

Peter is almost fired from the toy factory for skipping work to go to a Boston Red Sox baseball game with his family, but the El Dorado Cigarette Company takes over the toy factory and Peter is retained.

El Dorado immediately starts making toys to promote underage smoking. Lois and the others grows concerned and prods Peter to confront the management about it, but when he does, the El Dorado board makes Peter president of the toy company to distract him. Included with the new jobs are perks that make the Griffins, including Lois, forget their opposition. Two such perks are a micro-thin coating of Teflon on the inside of the house to make it easier to clean and Martha Stewart as a housekeeper. Brian, however, is not swayed, and pledges to quit smoking.

Peter says that, since he's been president, "profits have been higher than Alyssa Milano," referring to tabloid accusations about the actress's drug abuse (in a live-action scene, Milano appears as herself and urges her lawyer, the episode's writer Ricky Blitt, to sue).

El Dorado holds a meeting and decide that the only way to communicate with the idiots in Congress is to send someone just as dumb, and they decide to send Peter. He makes friends on Capitol Hill, such as Bob Dole. He gladhands Senators, even taking some to a strip club. Meanwhile, back at home, Lois is horrified when she catches Stewie smoking and remembers the company's abuses, and she and Stewie follow Peter to Washington, D.C. Peter is easily able to communicate with the congressmen. Peter prepares to deliver his speech on the floors of congress assembled, but when he hears Stewie's hacking cough, he himself remembers the evils of smoking and tells Congress to reject El Dorado's proposal. Congress agrees and decides to sue the company with an impossibly heavy fine (after Peter resigns as president, of course).
  • One of the best of Season 3 and the whole series.

One of may favorites, Mr. Griffin Goes to Washington begins with The Happy-Go-Lucky Toy Company being taken over by the El Dorado cigarette company. Peter and his fellow workers love the new perks of being part of the wealthy business, but Lois is furious when she learns that the company is using the toys to get children addicted to cigarettes. When Peter goes to talk to the board members about their intentions, the chairman makes Peter president to shut him up. Soon the family begins loving the perks they get and Lois forgets all about stopping the company when Martha Stewart is sent to help her with the housework. Brian, who is digusted at how the family has been corrupted by their new perks, vowes to stop smoking in protest. When El Dorado cigarettes is threatened with an anti-smoking bill in Congress, Peter is sent to Washington as a lobbyist to reason with the politicians. He wins them over with a night at the "Oval Orifice" skin bar. But when Lois sees Stewie smoking, she realizes that the cigarette company has to be stopped. She arrives in Washington to stop Peter before he makes his speech, but Peter is not convinced until he hears and sees Stewie trying to get a cigarette. He comes to his senses and goes against his company by persauding Congressmen to fine the El Dorado cigarette company into bankruptcy. The family drives home lookin satisfied, especially Brian, who is now able to continue smoking.

The opening scene of the episode was hilarious and seemed real with Lois finding out that Stewie is really an evil genius bent on world domination, only to wake up from her nightmare. Oh and about the sign Chris made for the game, I'm sorry, but if God was a Red Sox fan, they would have won at least a few World Series between 1918 and 2004. I'm not a Yankees fan, I don't follow any baseball team, but come on.

Anyway, my favorite gags were the old smoking commercials ("Smoke!"), Peter's celebrating his presidency and his "recitation" of all 50 states in a quarter of a second, the graph and poster on the wall, the "That Girl" reference, Peter at Clarence Thomas' trial, and the whole scene on the floor of the House. Oh and it had a funny ending where Peter tells the audience that killing strippers is kind of bad. But if this episode was in Season 5, there would have been numerous jabs at conservatives and Republicans; just shows how much the series has changed since then. It's better when they make fun of politicians in general, not just one side of the aisle. A really great episode and certainly a highlight of the series.
  • A nice episode.

Mr. Griffin Goes To Washington (D.C.) is hilarious espacially the disclaimer at the end I was laughing for ages. What I wonder is how did they get this episode past standards? I'm thinking from something like Seth bribeing the FCC president NOT. I love this episode so much it's not funny oh and the live action peice - hilarious!! overall I give this episode 4 1/2 stars it's probaply my 13th favourite in all 98 current ones, and I am really happy in the animation on this one I think everything would have been great in the next season if FOX didn't cancel the show, season four would've been great. Not the stuff we got 3 years later. Two words = Lousy FOX.
  • I thought that this was a excellent example of what season 3 is all about.

This episode rocked my socks. I mean the little disclaimer at the end sent packig to the nines. The ho variable, Peter telling Chris what a blowhole isn't for, and the live action sequence made this episode a 9.6.The plot was also good with 'Baby Smokes A Lot' and Dick Army. Thank you for reading my first review.
  • Peter's toy company that he works for gets taken over by a cigarette company, which eventually makes him President of the company.

Peter's toy company he works for gets taken over by a cigarette company. It hilarious to see all the horrible toy ideas they come up with but it works. Eventually Peter gets made President of the company by the new chairmen. He eventually has to get certain political figures on his side of the company in Washington. It hilarious to see such political figures as Al Gore, Bob Dole, and even Dick Army(hahahahahahaahahaha)! In the end Peter goes against what he is doing and learns better because of it. Still overall the episode is classic!
  • Alright look i am what some people would call a family guy expert and i my professional family guy loving opinion, best episode ever. So basically Tobacco company takes over the toy factory, Peter becomes president, and a lobbyist for the company.

Wow so many great jokes packed in to one episode just amazing. \"Dad what\'s a blowhole for *as whale breeches*?\" \"first son i\'ll tell you what it\'s not for then you\'ll understand why we can never go back to sea world\". also included in this episode is the pencil sharpener scene. Not to mention when Peter first arrives in washington to find george bush, al gore, bob dole, and dick army. That first name spawns a creative little dialogue and later in the episode bob dole;s narcolepsy kicks in for another good laugh. The endin few minutes are the real winners though. With the guys at the strip club. \"Now i don\'t know if you killed her when you shoved all the dollar bills down the throat or when you hit her over the head with the stool, i\'m not a doctor but i can tell you what did\'t kill her...smoking\"\"griffin you have our support\". Then the ending scene is great but you\'ll have to se it for yourself. THe wrap up however is even better. Peter begins ranting \"Now we\'ve had a lot of laughs tonight but i\'ll tell you what\'s not funny, killing strippers strippers are people too naked people who might be willing to pleasure you behind a V.I.P. curtain...\"and it goes on i am not currently watching the episode so i can\'t give a perfect quote but its something like that. If you have any questions about this or other episodes, please e-mail me at ludwig80233@mail2007.com. Thanks
  • good this was good

this was such a great episode and i thought it was really funny, but all those who loved this episode then send and email to me but anyways here is the review for the episode:

the review:

• Something you shouldn't miss....

This episode is a great example of how to make people laugh... first of all is Peter doing stupid things so he doesn't go to work, I like very much the part when he said that he was a vegetable, and then when the cigaro company buy the toy factory and it became something really funny, about the page paste in the walls saying all what they don't want to hear, in fact everything was very, very funny and I think that family guy could have as much seasons as the Simpsons, I really hope so.
  • I’m so hungry I could ride a horse!

“Cigarettes killed my father! And raped my mother”
    “Children under four shouldn’t smoke”
    “You may have killed her when you shoved all those dollar bills down her throat. I don’t know, I’m not a doctor!”

If you want to hear these and many more hilarious quotes I recommend you watch this episode many times because it both explores the dangers of smoking and what happens when you quit smoking. Brian giving up smoking and being very moody was hilarious as was Peter’s suck up and script writers.

I was laughing all the way through the first time I watched this episode and have watched it many times since. Great plot and great jokes.
  • Baby needs to suck ash, Baby needs to suck ash!... not ass, you pervert, save it for the intern.

And when Peter sticks his finger into the electric pencil sharpener, then stands up and and unzips his pants... CLASSIC Peter griffin! The song for the "He's that guy" is also catch, excellent episode.
  • My favorite episode!

This is my favorite episode of Family Guy (tied with "To Live and Die in Dixie"). The episode shows the writing at its peak of making fun of pop culture. My favorite part of the episode is the spoof of the popular 1966-1971 series "That Girl" starring Margot Thomas. The opening sequence of the Griffins going to Fenway Park to watch the baseball game has some of the best gags of the series. Peter's excuse of missing work and his explanation of why Mr. Weed saw them at the park were classic examples of Family Guy's brand of random humor.
  • A well done episode indeed.

This is one of a few plots involving Peter's job. But they keep them exciting, so it's ok. In this one, the company is bought out by El Dorado Cigarette Co. Which puts Peter in the awkward(although not for Peter) situation of peddling cigarettes, especially to minors. Baby Smokes-a-lot was a great rip on the cigarette companies ever vigilant quest to get young smokers hooked. Ex. Chris: "That's imitatable!" The culmination of the episode comes in the form of Stewie becoming addicted to cigarettes. Then, and only then does Peter realize that children under 4 shouldn't smoke. Once again Family Guy strives to teach a valuable lesson. =)
  • Excellent!

Of course it doesn't make me laugh anymore, now that I've seen it like 800 times. SMOKE! But when I first saw it, it nearly killed me. This episode is LOADED with hilarious little tidbits. SMOKE! I would have to say that this is my all time favorite episode. ARE YA SMOKIN' YET?
FOX