Family Guy

Peter Griffin: Husband, Father...Brother?

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 06, 2001 on FOX

• Peter discovered he had a black anecestor

Chris gets a new job as the water boy for the basketball team. After being around the black players, Chris becomes a super-cool black dude in a white person's body. Peter takes Chris to learn about his own Irish heritage at a museum. Chris later visits a library to look up his genealogy and is elated to discover that a black man (Nate Griffin) was part of his family. Peter tries to embrace his black culture by visiting a black theatre and club, but he doesn't get it. When Lois' parents visit, it is revealed that the Pewterschmidts' ancestors owned Nate Griffin. The Pewterschmidts' give Peter money to alleviate their guilt. Soon Peter begins to suffer the discrimination of being black. While at a basketball game, Peter looks in the mirror and he sees Nate, who shows him that he has been selfish. Peter announces to everyone in the gym that he was a jerk for taking the money. He throws the cash in the air, and everyone scrambles to get their share, showing that all races are unified by greed. Meanwhile, Stewie plots to get rid of the head cheerleader so he can be on top of the pyramid. I thought that this episode was perfect. However, my nit-pick here was Peter taking all the money from the black people. Other than that, I enjoyed the episode and both of the plots were hilarious. There funny parts such as the cold opening, the cutaway with Brian and Stewie making out (by being hypothesized), Peter thinking of the girl, Chris talking funny, Peter narrating, Stewie approaching the cheerleaders, Peter and Chris playing operation, Peter, Brian, and Chris going to an Irish meeting, Peter at a black people meeting, then he found exit, Stewie at the girls' restroom, Peter turning the room into Pee Pee Herman's Playhouse, and Quagmire's cameo at the end. Carter showing the kids some of the ancestries was interesting. Nate talking to Peter was good as well. Overall, a perfect episode. 10/10
  • Perfect.

What I liked-

Everything

10/10

• How did the network let this one thru? Poor judgment.

Much of this episode was racist and could be very offensive. Ethnic humor is (unfortunately) a part of every day life, but for this much to appear on a network show is hard to believe. Of course, even taking that into account, as usual, the episode is funny, but certainly not one of the series' shining moments!
  • Hilariously Bizare

This episode is in my top 10 favorites of all time, and it certainly is a great showing of what Family Guy is all about: Absurdly funny humor and stories. In this episode, while trying to teach Chris about his Irish heritage, he learns he has a black ancestor, and begins to associate with them. This leads to Peter learning that the Pewterschmits (Lois' family) were Peter's ancestors owners. He then gets repriations money from them, and he spends it on a recreation of Pee Wee's playhouse, and then his black friends get pissed because he shared none of it with them, and eventually he shares it with everyone. Stewie also had a B storyline here, where he joins the Cheerleading squad to learn their appeal. While this story wasn't as good, it still was entertaining, especially the lead up to the ending with Quagmire. Overall, another perfect like episode from Family Guy, one of their best ever. 10/10 A+
  • Quite an interesting episode, actually!

I thought this was one of the better episodes in some time, as it was very funny and the storyline was incredible!

I couldn't believe Peter as an African American, at girst, but the episode was really interesting, and I absolutely loved the storyline after a while.

It was also a very funny episode, in my opinion, and I found myself laughing at many points of this episode and I absolutely loved i!

I would recommend this episode very highly, and it is one of my favorites of all time! Keep it up, Family Guy, because this show is looking great and very awesome!
  • This episode... I can't ever forget!

I can't ever forget this episode, I mean who could? It was sodding fantastic! Stewie and the cheerleader, Peter and his black ancestors, and yet another time where Peter tries to grab the attention of lois's father, to be accepted.

Peter's great, great grandfather was funny as, and the mirror interview when Peter asks him: "Hey, what's heaven like?". "It's okay... There's a shortage of chairs" replied Nate Griffin. LOL, and Peter staring out the hot chick from the cheerleading to find out he was only chewing Lois's hair, rofl.

This was an episode of pretty much; never ending entertainment, hilarious laughter and just a very nice and memorable storyline. I will never forget Nate, as the Griffin's were and still are owned by Lois's family.

And lastly, my overall score of 8.5/10 was great but if I could point out anything missing? More laughter, strong episode, and entertainment alike, but I'll never forget this interesting ride of family values.
  • One of the best Family Guy episodes I have ever seen....

When Chris begins to embrace African-American culture, Cleveland takes him to an Irish heritage museum to teach him about his own culture. In a genealogy book, Chris discovers that he has an African-American ancestor. Meanwhile, when the Peterschmidts come to visit, they reveal a secret and bribe Peter to keep it quiet. But after Peter accepts the bribe, he makes a harsh realization. Stewie tries to get rid of Cindy in the hope that everyone will become under his control. Peter finally relizes that it doesn't matter if your black or white the only color that matter is green. (money) All and all a great episode..
  • Nate Griffin, The Black Griffin.

. After watching this episode I went on the net and tried to find out if I had any black ancestors - it turns out I don't, which I was disapointed to hear, because then I could've said I was black. This episode is exttremely well written is well aclaimed by myself and others but is overshadowed by some better known ones. Family Guy should do more multi - cultural episodes like this one and I think if they redid this episode today Brian would be barking at Peter all the time, lol, that would have been a great twist .
  • Overshadowed by some others, but one of the best ever episodes of Family Guy.

This episode was a dead set classic. While it was a little racist in some parts, and also a little stereotypical, it was all worth it.
    The Pee-Wee Playhouse gag was, dare I say it, the best EVER joke ever made on Family Guy, and the money fight scene was also up there as one of the greats.
    Peter realising he was black ("Holy crap! I'm black!") is a scene that every Family Guy fan should revere.
    This episode is often undeservedly classed as racist, and it is also unfairly overshadowed by some other, lower quality episodes (PTV, DaBoom), but it belongs in the very top echelon on anything ever done on Family Guy.
    So, where did the 0.1 go? That went because they didn't show the cheerleaders actually changing from Stewie's view!
    Heh heh, not all right!
  • It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white. The only colour that matters is green!

When Peter discovered that his ancestor, Nate Griffin was black (“Holy crap, I’m black!”), I thought this would be an absurd episode… and I was right, the end of the second act proving this, with Mr Pewterschmidt’s ancestors being the ones that enslaved Nate.

Stewie’s plot was funny as he actually seemed to be a female teenager at one stage, worrying about his weight. This also has a great ending by Quagmire (“Dear Diary: Jackpot!) as does Peter’s plot (“I meant just the black guys”). The cutaway of Peter narrating his own life for two weeks (“I awoke several hours later in a daze”) is one of the funniest flashbacks in the history of Family Guy.

Overall, it is a crazy plot but very entertaining!
  • In this episode of 'Family Guy', Peter Griffin decides to teach his son, Chris, more about his Irish heritage. When researching the Griffin family history, Peter discovers that he's 'BLACK', therefore he feels that he must start acting black. Meanwhile St

This is one of my favorite overlooked episodes of Family Guy. It is in my mind one of the best episodes of Family Guy to date. It has a crazy sounding plot but is able to hold a storyline, unlike most season 4 episodes. Who can forget Stewie's classic chauvinistic cheer dance, or Peters famous encounter with the great Nate Griffin. And don't forget about when Peter squanders all of his reperation money to build 'Peters Play House'. This episode also debuted the in-yo'-face-one-liner-negro' named Ollie who says "IT GON' RAIN".

Last, but not least, if you have learned one thing and one thing only from this review let it be the very valuable lesson from the bible that this episode has tought us; "It's not about whether your black or white, its about how much green you have."
  • One of the Greatest Episodes

In this episode of Family Guy Peter tries to teach Chris about his Irish family roots. Upon further inspection he finds out that he is also not just Irish but Black. This is one of the best episodes of Family Guy ever. He finds out he is black and tries to get together with the black community. He goes by the name of Kitchwa (for one scene). The funniest part of this episode is when he uses his reparations money to turn his living room into Pee Wee's Playhouse. He then sings a "Peterfied" version of the Pee Wee's Playhouse theme song. Not only that it is followed up by a hilarious bit with Peter and Brian where Peter tries to get Brian to be Jaambi the genie in a box from Pee Wee's Playhouse wher Brian then says "Mec-A-Lec-A Hi Mec-A my god I hate you" makes me wet my pants every time.
PTV