Family Guy

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jan 31, 1999 In Season

Family Guy Fan Reviews (2866)

• What happend to the comedy?

As we all know many shows lose their touch as time goes on. However in my opinion Family Guy has been the worst offender of them all. While it was never my favorite cartoon, Family Guy used to be a really funny show. Yes while at the surface it seemed to be a subpar sop***ric Simpsons clone it actually was a clever funny and even occasionally heart warming show (though it was still packed offensive yet funny humor) Sadly though the subpar Simpsons clone that people accused it of is what I would generally describe the newer seasons.

Where Family guy lost its tough is very controversial. Some say it was after the 2005 comeback. some would argue it wasn't until season 13. To me seasons 1-3 were definitely the best but on the other hand 4-6 weren't too shabby either. For me season 7 was when the show took a turn for the worst.

Peter became a sociopathic criminal with hints of pedophilia and incest in one particularly awful episode, Brian has became a pretentious dick who is just there to blabbe Seth's thoughts, and Stewie is just a gay stereotype now. Almost all of the other characters have suffered as well, these were just the ones that stuck out in my mind.

Now as for the comedy it is generally pretty lackluster now. Cutaways are rampant and lazy as they get, the overly long gags are just dreadful and seem to go on so long that even if it was funny to begin with it got tedious and dull. Many of the references are just as forced. The biggest problem is the "shocking humor". I use air quotes because it isn't shocking, just so, so desperate. Instead of trying to amuse they just show the most heinous things and these things fill up entire episodes! They aren't funny for obvious reasons and they aren't even shocking because they show them so freaking much! It's like an 11 year old just discovered what curse words are.

With all these negatives though the score isn't very low. I think it would be unfair to give it a lower score because it used to be a funny series and even the newer episodes can be good if not great! Sadly these good episodes have gotten increasingly rarer and rarer, this is giving me a harder time forgiving the show for what it once was when the good to bad season ratio is getting less favorable each season.

It's Fox's time to pull the plug from Family Guy. Maybe give it another season or 2 and a movie but that's all this show needs at this point. Even with other series like The Simpsons, Adventure Time, SpongeBob and American Dad (to some extent, American Dad is still quite good) yes they have gotten worse but the episodes are still generally solid and the bad episodes are usually just boring. Family Guy's bad episodes are downright insulting and the series has lost a lot of dignity and respect as result to that. Let the show rest in peace while the crew works on American Dad or a new show with the enthusiasm that was long lost here. Or maybe Family Guy will improve, who knows :p
  • American Dad is so much better

I used to love Family Guy in seasons 1-4. Seasons 5-7 had mostly good episodes and also a few bad episodes, but seasons 8 to present are terrible. It's all a bunch of forced crude humor for the sake of crude humor, liberal propaganda, religious bigotry, and unfunny jokes based on characters being assholes to everyone. I especially hate Lois and Bonnie. They are truly awful characters. I wish this show got canceled years ago. It's now the worst of the 3 SMcF shows. The Cleveland Show was ok yet boring, and American Dad has always been pretty good. If the current year was 2006, I would rank the show 9/10. In 2012, I would give it 5/10. Now it's only 2/10. A few of the episodes from the last few seasons are decent, which is the only reason it's not 1/10.
  • Family Guy Needs To End

Just like Phineas and Ferb, Family Guy is a show that needs to stop airing, along with all of the other garbage like this show such as The Cleveland Show. But, I'm going to stick mainly to Family Guy now, because unlike our 'beloved' P&F, which ended, this show is still going on. The reason why this show needs to die is because of the Lady And The Tramp parody they did with Michael Vick. I can tolerate some show poking fun at this movie, which is one of my passions, but to parody it with such little care whatsoever, and having a parody that involves drowning two of my favorite characters, with HORRIBLE animation is INEXCUSABLE. FUCK THIS SHOW UP ITS ASS! And that's not the sole reason this show should be banned from every single network ever. It's also because everything I have seen of this show is unfunny anti-humor drivel with some of the worst fucking animation ever. This show doesn't even deserve a 1, because giving it 1 is basically like giving it a cookie instead of cake. This show deserve only one "1", and that is a fat middle finger stuffed up its ass and out its mouth.
  • South park is right about this show.

Family guy once had an appeal in the early seasons but now it doesn't. The cut aways are stupid they say remember the time i punched myself in the balls and it rolls a pointless clip. The gags drag on long enough to the point were it just plain boring and the majority of the time their just time fillers. In family guy they constantly reuse jokes up until the point where it is not even remotely funny they have had 3 chicken fights, Cleveland has fallen out of that bath tub like what ten times sure these kinds of things can be funny the first and second time but really come on. Then there is the Cleveland show which is just terrible I saw and episode and Cleveland said "I have fallen out of that bath tub more times then it could possibly be funny" so they are aware of it so why are they still doing it? And also they have done the bird is the word joke that is just plain annoying and unfunny and they have had to have Conway Twitty for 3 minutes I'm dead serious some boring country singer just to fill up the episode. Have you ever seen any other show do this?
  • Our brains can not take anymore of this garbage

To rate this show at all is actually a waste of time.

The characters are boring and exxaggerated.

It seems only to have one function and that is to make people that watch it stupid.

I've tried watching this show but it seems as if it was written by a very sick person, Simpsons could at least be funny as it was a serious comedy this UTTER GARBAGE has no place on TV or ANYWHERE!

Better to cancel it and save us the boredom
  • best show ever. too bad matt groaning riped of this show we should sew him

this show is much better than da simpsonz and american bad. seth and his team of writers put so much genius into this series. i cried so hard when brian died, laughed so hard when brain gave stuie herpes, and went hysterical when peter married chris. peter is way better than that doug ripoff homer simpson and that dumb satan smith. he is the best cartoon dad ever, don't you forget about it. family guy is the best show ever and it deserves a thousand emmies, not the shitty ripoffs above. this is the best cartoon ever to grace television history and i hope it gets remembered for thousand of years. 10/10 A++++++++++++++++++++
  • My favourite show, but has awfully gone downhill

This is my favourite show on TV, and it has been for the last 4 years. It always has me laughing and it is the type of show I'd never get bored of watching reruns of.

But lately, it has gone so downhill. Season 13 was the highlight that it was happening. The episodes went terrible in that season, there was only about 7 that I liked. They were less funny, and some of the plots were lame, or poorly written. I actually LOVED every season up until season 12, because season 13 was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Another thing that's changed about the show are the CHARACTERS. But only some of them actually mean something negative to me:

Peter has become much more of an asshole than he was, (in fact, this started to happen back as far as season 6)

Meg abuse has stopped, which is actually a GOOD thing to me.

Quagmire is a dick, an even bigger sex offender and just has a horrible atmosphere in the show. He's become a fucker lately. My hate for him blossomed when I watched Quagmire's dad.

Stewie is no longer bent on world domination, or the "evil genius" he used to be. Stewie is my favourite character on the show, and I still love him, but I think his new personality is part of what made the show lose its edge.

I find Cleveland boring since he came back. He isn't necessary.

There's more character changes, but those are just the major ones. After watching last nights season premiere, I was actually disappointed. The show really has declined lately and I'd like to see it get back on it's feet very soon. Seth doesn't care anymore and it's obvious, and he hasn't even been writing for the show in 6 years. The actual writers really need to get their shit together and make this show as good as it used go be. It's losing a lot of viewers and I see why. If Family Guy doesn't get taken out of this pit of fire soon, it's gonna end, and I can see it ending very soon from the way it's going. I wouldn't like to see it end yet, after all it IS my favourite show. I just want to see an improvement very soon, I want family guy to be around for at least 5 or 6 more years.. it isn't what it used to be.
  • Best show.

The show is one of my favorite animated television shows, but some of the jokes are actually racist. You know, one that bothers you in your religion or color, etc. etc. Since I'm a Christian, nearly always they have something that mentally scars my religious ways for a couple of days.

Sure, I agree that Quagmire's really weird personalty is cool, but this is like the Simpsons, except with more weird into it. I don't really say this is a cross between the Simpsons and South Park, but some of the jokes are really corny, not really racist, though.

The voice actors are decent, sometimes they're really annoying. I'm used to it, though.
  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this show is horrid

Its unfunny all they do is do gross things
  • Family guy/american dad

I think family guy and american dad should make an episode where they have a wife swap. They should make an episode where Francine and Louis switch husband's for a week.
  • Uncalled for language

The language they use on Family Guy now is inappropriate (i. e. Fuck, cock, asshole, dick,etc)

It was funny without the bad language adding the bad language just shows no class.

Quit while your ahead....
  • MacFarlane has sold way out!

MacFarlane has sold way out! His show has just turned into every other show! It is nothing but dumbed down trendy idiot propaganda now! That is the best way I can describe it, without going into deep detail. And I do not feel like wasting anymore of my time explaining why a crappy show stinks! Thank you!
  • This Show Has Ran Its Course, The Humor Doesn't Work Anymore

It was a really funny show, the last seasons have been lacking in humor though. Family Guy should have retired with positive nostalgia while it was still on top, now every season its reputation shrinks more and more and its too late. It's humor is massively stretched now and the producers seem to just copy and paste older gags into the plots of recent episodes. They continued to follow this trend with there recent seasons without noticing that even using those older gags over and over makes the show less enjoyable. So even when they don't do that they go overboard on the shock humor and it can't even be called "shock humor" anymore because they will somehow make it overly disturbing than it has to be, it does not work anymore.
  • Great show. Really funny. Way better than new Simpsons. Reminds me of Simpsons in its classic seasons.

Come on guys, whats wrong with you? You all really need a sense of freakin humor for cryin out loud.

This show is really funny & its way better than those boring ass newer episodes from The Simpsons.

Yes, Family Guy did go sort of downhill, but episodes from 2013-present are still leaving people in stitches.

Family Guy is not afraid to push the edge of the acceptable boundaries. Jokes about Michael J Fox's high profile battle with Parkinson's disease have caused public anger (these people really need a sense of humor), but the show continues.

The Griffins and their aqquaintiences are really funny in their own ways.

Peter Griffin is hilarious, he is on a tie with Homer Simpson. Lois, being a nagging wife and mom still manages to be funny at times, Chris , being an idiot has his moments, Meg sucks tho although everyone's treatment to her can be hilarious at times- for example, whenever Peter yells Shut up Meg! Everybody laughs and in the Star Wars parodies she is shown as some kind of gross monster , and Stewie & Brian are pure comedy gold especially when they go on their foreign Sci-fi adventures together.

Quagmire is frighteningly predatory in his sexual advances, and Joe makes consistent jokes about the inability of his legs to work, & when he disagrees with something he yells and it never fails to make you laugh. Cleveland may be a bit tasteless but that doesn't effect the shows clever humor. Mayor West, oh my God he's the man. He's played by and based on his real identity (Adam West obviously) but in a cartoonish manner. They even have James Woods as a character for Gods sake.

The cutaway gags are underrated, seriously. Even Trey Parker & Matt Stone (creators of South Park) bashed these. Come on, there just jealous. Without their amazing cutaway gags, the show wouldn't be anywhere near as original and comical. Rather than simply saying "oh no,we're done for and its all my fault" Family Guy has a tendency to say something like "this is worse than that time I saw Michael Jacksons groin treatment dance (cuts away to Michael Jackson slapping his groin, hitting it with wood and even shooting it while he still dances on stage) . Absolutely brilliant.

The success of Family Guy lead Seth MacFarlane and his writers to produce successful films such as the Ted films and Million Ways to Die in The West, and I highly reccomend them for any fan of this show.

I think FOX should pass the torch to Family Guy as todays most successful animated sitcom on FOX. The Simpsons were better than Family Guy at a long point, but that's long over. Go watch a Simpsons episode from season 18 and beyond then watch a Family Guy episode, then compare the humor and see what I mean.
  • Mind changed on this show!

Not really a Simpsons rip-off, it's super hilarious! I don't give two shits if I'm 13 and like this show!
  • Family Guy

First seasons were good, the later seasons are meh/bad
  • This is still airing?

This show used to be "funny" back when it first started airing and crude humor was still sort of new. The fact that this is still airing now though is unbelievable to me. How many edgy, used up jokes can they still manage to pull out of their asses? If you like a show that's repetitive, idiotic, slapstick humor, I'd recommend this to you. Otherwise, find yourself a better show to watch. This one is horrible.
  • Seth Macfarlane can suck my ass.

If you are dumb and ignorant then this show is perfect, if you are slightly intelligent you think its funny but stupid, if youre actually intelligent you realise quickly that the show is pretentious, boring, repetitive, needlessly insulting and poorly written. JUST DIE ALREADY!!
  • I love it.

I just love how they talk shit about everyone. I love the fact they risk/risked getting sued because of it. Same with south park. Literally just love the shit talking. I hope they get worse too and offend everyone at some point. They say what most people want to but can't. Or won't. I know the show will most likely end soon. But it's too bad.. Maybe someone should just make a show that shit talks the whole time. I definitely would watch that.
  • a stupid idea of a show from the get go

its shit full class shit its not funny it makes people sick to their stomach its insensitive and full of anti religious symbolism and mean spirited jokes bottom line THIS SHOW NEEDS TO DIE AND BURN IN LIVING HELL
  • @Lukas1977 thanks for sharing but ... PISS OFF will ya! Great show.

Great show. .the sad part is that you get the feeling that Seth and gang don't wanna keep doing the show. Not sure why that happens, I guess too much of something gets to be too much. The fans still love it, I love it! Stewie is no longer trying to kill his mother and bent on world domination. That blurb about what the show is "about" is very out of date. Family guy has grown into a modern animated sitcom with characters you love and hate. I look forward to Sunday nights because of this show... until they bring the X-Files back this is as good as its gonna get! (and it may not get that good
  • Old episodes are better

I dont know if its just me or that episodes gets even more weird and not funny every time. I still like them but old episodes are funnier to me plus they dont make em spanish anymore it will make me understand better

• Family Guy

The show that ripped-off "The Simpsons" is one of the most loved/hated show on earth. It's funny, intense, and etc. Back then, the show has been cancelled twice by FOX, and now they want it. Who would've known that several people hated the series, including animators, who express their opinion and/or feelings about "Family Guy". The show maybe stupid at times, but it's an okay show. The only character I feel really bad the most is: Meg Griffin, and the character that REALLY should've stayed dead is Brian because honestly, his egotism and cruelty is really getting on my nerves. But the one thing that really, really, REALLY irritates me the most about the show is those stupid gag cutaways that really has nothing to do with the episodes. It's getting old and I want that to change (it's no wonder people chose "South Park" over this show). This show has received a lot of criticism from so many people and animated TV shows (such as: The Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, because of their unsuitable content, their lame cutaways and somewhat derivative plot. Sometimes, and I repeat, SOMETIMES I wish the show really was cancelled. Okay, so I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the series, but at least I'm honest about it.

The only score I would give "Family Guy" is a 4.0 out of 10.
  • disgusting show

this show is disgusting ,its a disgrace
  • Rape much?

So sorry.

Not sorry.

I started watching your "family" show several years ago and thought it was mildly amusing.

Then the rape jokes.

Is that how low you have to stoop to get attention?

I wouldn't have even bothered to mention it (just gone about my normal, non-viewing, anti rant to friends) If it hadn't been for a group of girlfriends and I just now having the "it used to be funny" convo.

Also, even straight women would fuck Meg before Peter.

Just Sayin'.

Your show is ball kickin'.

As in, painfully horrid.
  • Why haven't they cancelled this show yet?

They should cancel this show already. Along with all the stupid one-trick pony shet macfarlane shows.
  • defender of the show

Raven77, how can you say that about the show, when all you have done is read wikipedia entries? How can you judge something you haven't seen?

I have watched every episode, and from the beginning, the tone of the first couple of episodes sets out the rest, and what to expect.

Don't like it? Don't watch it. Also, if you haven't ever watched it, don't b***h about it
  • Too offensive to me! My faith in cartoons is screwed by this show!

You know, when I heard of Family Guy being a knock off of the Simpsons, I couldn`t help but feel a bit excited because I loved the TV show the Simpsons and I thought that I could get a real thrill of this show and man, was I wrong after I watched an episode of it. First off, I could`nt belive how trashy and disrespectful this show was all the way from the beginning to the the end of each season based on the summaries I read on wikipedia and personally, I could really rant on all the Griffins one by one.

Peter Griffin: First off, you`re a Homer Simpson knockoff and the only thing that is different about you is your style of comedy. Homer may have had his inappropriate moments on his own show (like the tree house of horror where he danced in church naked) but his actions don`t even come close to offensive as yours. I mean, he even does a better job at being a father than you. Homer loves all 3 of his kids but you... you practically treat both your sons like they don`t exist and you beat up the living snot out of your child Meg (It really baffles me why this has not caused media outrage). Personally, I think someone should cancel your show again, because you deserve it.

Lois: just like your husband Peter, I don`t think even a 1 day old kid would mistake you for a good parent because you`re simply terrible with the way you cheat on Peter several times and how you let him take advantage of you in many terrible scenarios. The only sympathy I can give you is when I yell, "HEY LOIS, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? STEWIE IS TRYING TO KILL YOU!" Other than that, I hate your guts.

Quagmire: you is a sex fiend/molester/pervert and you deserve to go to jail for life. (The same goes to that Herbert guy)

Chris: Just do yourself a favor and grow up. I think your antics fall on the offensive side of telling jokes and personally, I just can`t stand how low you go sometimes.

Stewie: Someone should send you to a psychiatric hospital. And Family Guy die hards, I don`t know what is so entertaining about a toddler trying to kill his own mother. It`s just wrong and totally uncalled for.

Meg: out of all the members of the Griffin family, I can`t help but feel sorry for you. All that pathetic excuse for a family does is bully you mercilessly non-stop. I`m surprised social services have`nt gotten wind of the Griffin parents treatment to you because you deserve much better than them. I hope that before the season ends, you will end up in a better family that truly shows the respect you deserve.

Brian: Let me just tell you this: I was probably the only guy who was happy to see you kicked the bucket in 2013. I felt the same way when the car ran over you just like when Gus Fring from Breaking Bad got killed. You were ***phobic, didn`t show even a moment of respect for any religion and really had your moments where you took the show too far with your "humor". I think that the universe gave you and Stewie what you deserved that day. I also liked Vinny better than you. In fact, if I was walking down a street one day and I got to a fork in the road and I saw you and Vinny on opposite ends of the street, I would stop. Suddenly, when I see a car on both ends of the fork speeding to you and Vinny and you both fail to notice the car in time to escape on your own and I had to choose between helping you and Vinny, I would have IMMEDIATELY rushed to save Vinny over you. As far as I`m concerned, when I look at the Griffin family, I still see Vinny in Brians place.

And to Seth MacFarlene: Someone once told me in my life, "Look, you may think that comedy is not serious but there is a clear line between entertaining and

The Parent Television Council has named your show the morally worst show of the week more than 40 times and even reading their descriptions of the episodes stuns me with shock that you concider what you do comedy. You honestly have no idea how wrong your show is and I really hate your style of humor. I think that Hollywood should just give you the boot like Sarah Silverman.
  • a real family guy

Upon hearing of your upcoming show staring Jesus, I will no longer be a viewer of your show. Blasphemy, is taking things too far. I hope all Christians, and believers in Christ show your show the door. By the way, did you vote and donate for The Obamanator too?