Family Guy

Sunday 9:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jan 31, 1999 Between Seasons

bluecatcinema

Family Guy Fan Reviews (2883)

• What happend to the comedy?

As we all know many shows lose their touch as time goes on. However in my opinion Family Guy has been the worst offender of them all. While it was never my favorite cartoon, Family Guy used to be a really funny show. Yes while at the surface it seemed to be a subpar sop***ric Simpsons clone it actually was a clever funny and even occasionally heart warming show (though it was still packed offensive yet funny humor) Sadly though the subpar Simpsons clone that people accused it of is what I would generally describe the newer seasons.

Where Family guy lost its tough is very controversial. Some say it was after the 2005 comeback. some would argue it wasn't until season 13. To me seasons 1-3 were definitely the best but on the other hand 4-6 weren't too shabby either. For me season 7 was when the show took a turn for the worst.

Peter became a sociopathic criminal with hints of pedophilia and incest in one particularly awful episode, Brian has became a pretentious dick who is just there to blabbe Seth's thoughts, and Stewie is just a gay stereotype now. Almost all of the other characters have suffered as well, these were just the ones that stuck out in my mind.

Now as for the comedy it is generally pretty lackluster now. Cutaways are rampant and lazy as they get, the overly long gags are just dreadful and seem to go on so long that even if it was funny to begin with it got tedious and dull. Many of the references are just as forced. The biggest problem is the "shocking humor". I use air quotes because it isn't shocking, just so, so desperate. Instead of trying to amuse they just show the most heinous things and these things fill up entire episodes! They aren't funny for obvious reasons and they aren't even shocking because they show them so freaking much! It's like an 11 year old just discovered what curse words are.

With all these negatives though the score isn't very low. I think it would be unfair to give it a lower score because it used to be a funny series and even the newer episodes can be good if not great! Sadly these good episodes have gotten increasingly rarer and rarer, this is giving me a harder time forgiving the show for what it once was when the good to bad season ratio is getting less favorable each season.

It's Fox's time to pull the plug from Family Guy. Maybe give it another season or 2 and a movie but that's all this show needs at this point. Even with other series like The Simpsons, Adventure Time, SpongeBob and American Dad (to some extent, American Dad is still quite good) yes they have gotten worse but the episodes are still generally solid and the bad episodes are usually just boring. Family Guy's bad episodes are downright insulting and the series has lost a lot of dignity and respect as result to that. Let the show rest in peace while the crew works on American Dad or a new show with the enthusiasm that was long lost here. Or maybe Family Guy will improve, who knows :p