Family Guy

Spies Reminiscent of Us

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 11, 2009 on FOX

• Blah... -SPOILERS-

So Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase come to Quahog, and Peter and his buddies decide to start a comedy routine. This plot sounds fair on paper, but it really fell flat on it's face in my opinion. We open the show with a humorous take on Peter not being able to use his own bathroom, thus he lands up in Cleveland's old house using his. The only thing I wasn't to found of during this is when Peter decided to use the American Flag as toilet paper. Hmm

Later on during that whole escapade, Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase land up renting the house and Peter is over joyed at the idea, thus the show takes it to a dinner scene and Peter just really drys the show out with some unfunny jokes about John Wayne and Thanksgiving. Did Stewie seem out of place during this scene with the odd laughter?

Later on, Brian and Stewie want answers as to why Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase moved to Quahog; so the only answer was to go and find out for themselves. We get a scene that they're looking through Clevelands old house, and just some random thugs point the two into the house, they attempt to have a Pepsi, and then fly down a secret entrance into a government control center. This is where the usual Family Guy comic act takes motion as we get a story about Ronald Reagan liking Spies Like Us so much, that he appointed Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase as secret Agents.........Yeah......Fine...

Meanwhile, Peter is at the Clam upset that Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase hated his routine, and repeats it to his friends Joe, and Quagmire. For some reason, they find is hilarious, and this was the part of the show I truly got annoyed with. I'll just put this in a nutshell. They try to develop an act, Peter doesn't know Improv comedy, or understand it, Quagmire is trying to flex a serious side, and Joe is just there. They land up doing a show, and it sucks, except.....-sigh-... When Peter reverts to his crappy John Wayne act again, and then adds other characters into it....

So let's go back to the original plot. Stewie, Brain, Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase decide to go to Mayor West and explain that SOMEONE in Quahog is under Russian control, and will be activated under a secret phrase. It's Mayor West...Because 22 minutes isn't enough time to make it anyone else. So they land up saying the phrase, West decides to speak Russian, and fights the 4 down. West flies off to Russia to...Activate...A...Missile? I guess a good reason to travel and see the heroes reprise they're winter coat outfits from the original movie.

Ok, I know i'm getting way in over my head, so i'll finish this us. There are some funny moments with Putin, the gang finds West in front of the missile, and stops him...Sorta... Let's just say we get to see Cleveland go through another bathtub joke falling out of the house...

This episode had some charm to it in some places, but I couldn't help but feel tortured watching at some points. The whole improv part could just be taken out all together in my opinion, but to each their own. While, I enjoyed more moments with the main Heroes, and getting to see Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase make an appearance (Growing up around them), this episode just fell flat because of the lack of direction. We could of shortened the bathroom joke down, and had more time for the main plot. In a way, this could of been of a good "Road To.." episode.

-Peace