Family Guy

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 10, 2009 on FOX

• Decent entertainment

Classic.
  • Superb

I loved how Joe was crippled in different ways in each story

9.5/10

• Stephen King Family Guy episode

When Peter reads some of Stephen King's works, he imagines his family and friends in three of King's stories. First, Peter, Quagmire, Cleveland and Joe act outStand By Mewhere as 12-year-olds, they travel along a railroad track on a journey of self-discovery. Second, Peter's take onMiseryputs an injured Brian being rescued by his "number one fan," Stewie. And lastly Peter envisions his own version ofThe Shawshank Redemption, where he and Cleveland become friends in prison. This episode was great.

Stand by Me: This was the most hilarious segment ever. It was funny when the voices were stuck on Joey's (Joe) head. It was funny when Peter yelled Train and then Joey got crippled. Overall, a funny segment, but what's with the weird ending of it? (It shows some weird wah wah music with some guy.) 9/10

Misery: It was my least favorite segment, but still funny. It was funny when Paul (Brian) ran into Stephen King. It was funny that theSheriff (Joe) got shot by Stewie. The funny was funny as well when it ended withMagnum, P.I.music opener (not sure). 7/10

Shawshank Redemption: Second funniest segment. It was funny when Bops (Joe) got crippled (again), Peter calling Carteracuteand obtuse, and then Peter played Hollback Girl. 8.5/10

Overall, the episode was good, but some parts bored me. 7.5/10

• Peter Griffin tells the three stories from author Stephen King

I thought that this was an overall good but not great episode of "Family Guy". Peter telling all three stores that were from author Stephen King was an interesting idea but all three stories were kind of dull to me. I'm gonna split in three stories to tell you my opinion for each of the Stephen King stories. (Stand By Me): This was a good story and probably the best of the three. I thought it was funny that Peter, Joe, Cleveland, and Quagmire are four 12-year old boys setting out to find the dead body in the woods and that dead body is Meg. I thought it was funny when Stewie was Old Man Pressman and Brian was Old Man Pressman's dog Chopper. Mayor West being the town bully was also funny. The train running over Joe's legs was hilarious. Kind of lousy how they ended this story though. Best segment of the three Stephen King stories. (Misery): This was probably the weakest of the three... it wasn't bad but it could have improved a little more. Brian as writer Paul Sheldon was funny. Stewie as Stewie Wilkes was funny. Lois as Paul Sheldon's agent Marcia was also funny and it was funny when Joe was the local marshall. The story to the whole thing was pretty weak and I think I only laughed when Stewie shot Joe in the legs and then he shot Joe. The weakest segment of the three Stephen King stories though.
    (The Shawshank Redemption): It was a little better than "Misery" but not as good as "Stand By Me". I thought it was funny that Peter is Andy Dufresne, Cleveland is Red, Carter is Samuel Norton, and Joe is crippling Bogs. I thought Cleveland's narration in this story was absolutely hilarious. It was also funny when there was a David Cassidy poster which was behind the hole that Peter made to escape from prison. It was also funny when Peter called Carter obtuse and then acute. The story was pretty good but could have been a little better and kind of ended this story in a very weak note.

All in short, "Stand By Me" was the best segment of the three Stephen King stories, "Misery" was the weakest of the three Stephen King stories but still kind of good, and "The Shawshank Redemption" was great but could have been a little better. Overall, a good but not that great episode of "Family Guy". 7.5/10
  • It was one of the best Family Guy Parodies!

Peter reads three Steven King Novels after Lois continually complains about how he doesn't read enough books and watches too much TV. After reading them he decides to retell them to the audience.

Stand By Me: Peter, Quagmire, Joe and Cleveland go on a journey of self-discovery while searching for a body in the woods. They have to over come many obstacles, such as a short-cut through cranky Old Man Pressman's junk yard, Joe's legs getting run over by a train, and returning to the junk yard to get Joe a wheelchair. Eventually they find Meg's gnarled body in the woods, only to be confronted by Mayor West who then steals the body. After returning home the boys go there septate ways. Joe remains crippled and invents a new wheelchair game called "Don't Feel Sorry for Us" Ball. Cleveland grows up to marry Rebeca Romijn. Quagmire becomes an Famous Hollywood Actor, who dies of a drug overdose. Over all a great parody.

Misery: Brian finishes the last addition of his children's book series "Snugly Jeff", Where he kills off the title character. While trying to drive through a snow storm Brian hits Steven King with his car, causing him to swerve off the road. He is then rescued by Stewie Wilkes, his self-proclaimed number 1 fan. Stewie takes Brian back to his cabin where he finds the last addition of "Snugly Jeff" Manuscript. Upon discovering the main character is dead, Stewie forces Brian to rewrite the ending, holding him hostage until he dose so. After sending Stewie to town to get him some more paper, Brian finds several news paper articles that imply that Stewie is actually a Serial Killer. Just then the town's sheriff, Joe, appears and is surprised to find Brian there. Just then Stewie walks in and shoots Joe in the spine, crippling him. When Joe complains about having to live in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, Stewie shoots him in the head. Brian finishes the book and demands to be let go but Stewie says he'll have to kill him because Brain would go to the police and tell them that he was kidnapped, held hostage and that Stewie had fondled him in his sleep. The best of the Three.

Shawshank Redemption: Peter and Cleveland become friends in prison, but after Peter get's sentenced 2 months in the hole by the Warden, Peter intends to escape. He tells Cleveland about a gift he'll have hidden away in a hayfield in Maine. Not worth reviewing.
  • Peter reads three of Steven Kings stories. The Family Guy cast play the charaters.

I thought this would be a great episode. I was looking forward to it for a long time. The only story I liked the were the first two Misery being my favorite but the third bored me to tears. I thought Joe being injured in every episode was stupid and not at all funny. Again Meg gets a terrible rule playing a dead girl. They could have at least cast her in a Carrie skit. Meg would have made a good Carrie. The Misery ended up being dissapointing. I was expected Stewie to break brian's ankles with a mallet like Annie did in the original.
  • not great

Peter tells 3 stories by Stephen King- Stand by Me, starring Peter and friends, Misery, starring Brian as a famed author and Stewie kidnapping him, and The Shawshank Redemption.

It was a nice story feel to it, I actually liked the segments, and I would have liked them more if they did not have so many weird parodies and jokes every minute. I know that is what the show is famous for, what makes it real funny to its fans, but I didn't think some of this was funny. Story was good, jokes weren't special, overall grade is a C+
  • What was the instrumental piece at the beginning of the Shawshank portion?

Good episode but not having read or seen Stephan King's work except for Shawshank Redemption I didn't get a lot of the other references. I thought it was funny but a bit over the top that Joe's legs get mutilated in every story. I do wish they had used more of the regular characters in the family to help out with the stories. Lois and Chris weren't really featured and I'm sure they could have picked on Meg more. Overall I enjoyed the episode and now need to go rent the movies that they reference that I haven't yet seen.
  • Peter sits by the hearth and tells three tales of Stephen King seen from the standpoint of the Family Guy players. Stand By Me, Misery, and The Shawshank Redemption are parodied poorly with a lot of tongue in cheek.

An entertaining yet stilted episode of Family Guy. We get to see the boys as supposed children experience life together in a parody of Stand By Me which is not really that clever, but there are enough parts to entertain. Stewie as the old man, poor Joe getting run over by not one but two trains, the fact they could go back to the junk yard and get Joe a wheelchair, and then poor Meg as the dead body (boy do they abuse her!).

In the second tale we see Brian as the writer portrayed by James Caan in Misery. Stewie plays the maniacal fan Kathy Bates played. Again slightly amusing and poor Joe! The Power Wheel bit was cute.

In the final piece we have the Shawshank Redemption parody. There wasn't anything really outstanding about this parody as well. The Star Wars figurines were funny, but the rest of the story sort of dull. One last time, poor Joe!

I especially liked the, "We'll see you in court." statement at the end referencing Stephen King. That was almost the most funny line of the show.

Overall entertaining. It might have been better if they did these more as a whole episode per story, but that really isn't Family Guys style. In general this show is so manic I was surprised they could follow three specific plots for a whole 21 or so minutes! Thanks for reading...
  • Hilarious.

I thought this was a great "trilogy" episode with some hilarious spoofs. There were definitely the high moments (Stand By Me & The Shawshank Redeption) and it's low moment (Misery). I loved the cameos from the late Roy Scheider & Richard Dreyfuss. The running joke of Joe losing his legs has gotten old & they can put that to rest. There was some funny enchanges between Brian & Stewie in the Misery. I loved it when Stewie shot Joe. That was shocking and funny all in one. I think this was one of the best episodes of the season. I'm glad to see they left something in bag for the end of the season.
  • Another episode that pissed me off for obvious reasons. See review.

5.5
    When Peter reads some of Stephen King's works, he imagines his family and friends in three of King's stories. First, Peter, Quagmire, Cleveland and Joe act out Stand By Me where as 12-year-olds, they travel along a railroad track on a journey of self-discovery. Second, Peter's take on Misery puts an injured Brian being rescued by his "number one fan," Stewie. And lastly Peter envisions his own version of The Shawshank Redemption, where he and Cleveland become friends in prison. The Simpsons parodied all three of these stories before. Dont bother watching this episode. Watch the Simpsons episodes of: The Blunder Years (Season 13), Dude Where's My Ranch (Season 14), and I dont wanna know why the caged bird sings (Season 19).
  • Must Joe's characters get their legs mutilated in every act?

The last act brought this episode up to the usual standards. The first one was not that great with a few good moments: Clevelad's stereotypical entrance, Joe getting run over by the train twice...I knew Meg would be the dead body so that doesn't count! The second act was an improvement: Stewie was hilarious and Joe gets crippled - again but then killed by Stewie lol! And the third act was freakin' hilarious from start to finish but by then the hatred for Joe's working legs gets a bit stale but apart from that, it was flawless. The Hollaback Girl part, the ending where Cleveland forgets the Mexican place, the lamp in the office, the Friends segment where Peter hits the pipe to the theme tune and so much more. Maybe the first act could have been a horror spoof instead like Carrie and the Misery one could be improved. Then this would have been a fantastic episode.
  • A huge disappointment for a trilogy of episodes.

Stand By Me:A lame segment. This part tried to be random and funny, but the gags ended up being lame and random in a stupid way, rather than a funny way. I also hated how Meg's only role was a dead body, and the segment was really short. The only good parts were with Stewie. A flat and disappointing chapter.

Misery:I used to like this part, but my feelings changed for it after I read the novel. This segment had no suspense and had little humour. Stewie played a horrible Annie Wilkes, he was too jolly and happy. He wasn't cruel or evil enough to be Annie. None of the good or exciting parts were parodied, {besides Stewie's memory lane book}, and the whole part was just bland and disappointing.

The Shawshank Redemption:An overrated segment. It lacked humour, and the whole segment was really lame and boring. The only part I even chuckled at was Cleveland saying he'd kill a man when he got out of prison, but the rest of the episode was boring and lazily written.

Overall, this is not a good trilogy. The segments could've been done much better, but they were lazily done, and lacked humour. The stories of this trilogy were irrational, muddled, and inconsequential.
  • This is a really good episode.

Stand By Me: This is a good segment and some hillarious parts are when Peter told Quadmire not to mention a bus because Cleveland was there and when Joe kept getting ran over by a train. B+

Misery: This one is as good as the first and some hillarious parts are when Stewie said he did stuff to Brian and he said that he wasn't ok with that and when Stewie shot Joe and he said he would have to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair and Stewie said no your not and then he killed him. B+

Shawshank Redemtion: This is the best one and some hillarious parts are when Cleveland comentated on the song Hollaback Girl and Peter's two words to Cleveland was hillarious. A
  • Better

Family guy in recent weeks has been becoming less funny that it was in the past. But this episode is back to form with some classic moment and some brilliant moments. The shawshank redemption part was hilarious and i didn stop laughing through out. Very clever moments such as the moment with david cassidy and also the starwars figurines. I also like how close they sailed to the wind this week, a bit more edgy and a bit more how it used to be. I only hope that this weeks one will be as good. Happy famly guy watching. x
  • Boring,lazy,unimaginitive and predictable. This really sucked. I can't beleive this is getting sevens and eights. Of all the novels King wrote, Seth went for drama instead of horror and fantasy which could have been better. These 3 weren't worth spoofing.

The stand by me spoof had Peter and his pals as 12 year olds. The body they found was Meg and Joe was crippled 3 times which was unfunny. They were kids before in The Little Griffins and that was funnier. Misery fell flat because Brian was boring and Stewie was not evil enough. The last one fell flat and was just boring. They should have gone with Carrie: Megs' revenge,Cujo: Brian showing his wild side or The Stand or the Langoliers. These 3 just fell flat and just weren't spoofing. Seth, stop being lazy!! Do the others next time.
  • Vagina boob.

Every now and again, Family Guy pulls out of those episodes that breaks the normal routine along with the fourth wall and attempts to do something a little different. The change is welcome, but not always rewarding. Three Kings is essentially three parodies rolled into one-yet rather than blend them all together, the twenty minutes is split into three separate segments loosely connected by Peter putting them into context by him reading the books of which the parodies are based upon. As a result, the episode does feel a little disjointed and tiresome, but some moments are wonderful once the individual stories get going. Particularly enjoyable was the middle segment ripping off Misery, and The Shawshank Redemption used to bring things to close. Not the best of the season, but enjoyable for what it is-which is a badly pieced together fillersode.
  • Three Steven King stories played by Family Guy characters

Unlike the story - telling episodes of The Simpsons, the ones from Family Guy are not always fun to watch. In "Three Kings", the first two stories are just mediocre. Especially the first one is not very funny. Only the reoccuring crippeling of Joe might be a running gag some people can laugh about. The third story is the best one, however I still prefer the classic episodes, where Peter does something crazy. To be fair, I have to admit, that I have not read the underlying Steven King stories, so that I might not have gotten all the jokes or allusions. Maybe a Steven King fan will like the episode better.
  • Pardoy of movies based on Stephen King Novels.

This episdoe was actually great, no bad jokes ya know i can't believe it but i think the old family guy is coming back, yes a dream has come true, this episode made me smile, though not laugh. I liked every minute and never wanted to miss a second. All i gotta say i really liked this episode, i hope they make better episodes after this, well thats it sorry for the short review, but there is nothing else to put all right guys see you next time, and i hope i give another positive review for a new family guy episode.
  • Shawshank was actually funny...

5.5
    It can never be funny, when you try to make fun of some really great movies of all times. Family Guys triple parody episode just took a beating for jumping the shark. The first two stories, Stand by Me and Misery were pathetic. Not an ounce of comedy- even the Rebecca Romijn bashing was too forced upon. Shawshank was a bit funny. I liked the initial dialogues Andy Dufrain says to Red. This and some other scenes really defined the crude humor that Family Guy truly represents. A huge let down episode. I hope they get their things in order.
  • average

Peter, Quagmire, Cleveland and Joe – as 12-year-olds – travel along a railroad track on a journey of self-discovery narrated by Richard Dreyfuss. In the 1)year 1955, four 12-year old boys-Petey LaChange (Peter), Quag Chambers (Quagmire), Joey Duchamp (Joe), and Cleve Brown (Cleveland)-go out to find a dead body in the woods, following a set of railroad tracks to find it (during the trip, a train runs over Joey's legs, effectively crippling him). Upon finding the body (which turns out to be Meg), they are confronted by the local bully Ace Merrill (Mayor West), who comes to claim the body, and threatens the boys with a knife. Petey pulls out a gun to intimidate Ace, who swears he will come back for revenge. However, since their next meeting will be inevitable because they live in the same neighborhood, Petey lets Ace have the body to avoid further consequences. Upon returning home, the boys go their separate ways: Joey comes to terms with being in a wheelchair and invents a new sport for cripples; Cleve grows up to marry Rebecca Romijn; and Quag becomes a famous Hollywood actor who eventually dies of overdose on drugs

i did not like this episode we love the characters for what they are not for the diffrent roles in these little fluff pieces
  • An endearing episode for Steven King fans

I've been a huge fan of Steven King for a long time. The very first thing of his that I can remember reading was his short story; "The Man Who Loved Flowers, and this was back in high school for me. Three Kings is not the best episode for hard core Family Guy purists,but a rare and special event for fans of BOTH Steven King and Family Guy. This episode was an especially faithful rendition/takeoff of three of King's better known and loved stories. This was not an especially funny episode of Family Guy, but my love of Steven King goes back decades and I found the episode endearing and well worth my time
  • Better than the last time they did something like this.

This was better than the episode with Peter explaining the family history in the panic room, or the original run episode with the gang as toddlers, but the reason it worked is because they took successful stories and transplanted Family Guy characters in them. The wacky FOX writers had nothing to do with this script, and that can only be viewed as a plus. There were some good moments, but we also had times of typical Family Guy low-brow humor with Stewie "fondling" Brian at night and Peter saying, Vagina Boob" in the prison.

The show is trying to improve though, and to their credit they deserve points for that, but this could have been better.
  • Stephen King fans will be sure to get something out of this.

This episode has the Griffins staring in three Stephen King novels; Misery, Stand By Me, and The Shawshank Redemption. I would say the last parody was the best(the last being Shawshank). Anyways, it was a good episode; some good jokes and amusing nods to Stephen King. But I thought it was a little bland after We Love You, Conrad and Stew-Roids. But that does not mean I didn't like it. Since I am a Stephen King fan, I enjoyed the parodies. I just think they could do a better job.
    F A M I L Y G U Y !