Family Guy

To Love and Die in Dixie

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 15, 2001 on FOX

• Nice!!

This was one of the first FG episodes I watched and I loved it and still do.
  • The FBI agents placed the Griffin family in a witness protection program when a robber is looking for Chris to kill him

Chris chooses a robber out of a lineup, but after Peter accidentally tells the robber where the family lives, the Griffins are placed in the witness protection program. They are sent to the Deep South, where Chris makes a new friend, Sam. Peter questions the truth of a Civil War reenactment that showed the South winning the war, leading to Sam's father forbidding Sam from seeing Chris. Upset, Sam runs away with Chris and kisses him on the mouth. Chris tells Sam that he doesn't like boys and doesn't like him in a physical sense. The FBI agents guarding the Griffin house in Quahog accidentally tell the robber the location of the Griffins. Sam reveals to Chris that she is not a boy, but a girl. Then the robber arrives in the South, about to kill Chris, but the towns folk stop him just in time. This was an excellent episode of "Family Guy" in my opinion. It made me laugh a lot and the storyline was pretty original and fun to watch. It ain't my favorite episode or anything like that but it's pretty close though. The thing that does my score a tad low is the twist that Sam (Chris' new friend) is actually a girl which I find to be a little weird since he looks more like a boy and a couple of jokes are a MISS but other than that, this episode is just worth watching over and over again. The parts that made me laugh was the cutaway with Peter in the porthole potty, the running gag with the raccoon attacking Peter, Stewie enjoying the banjo and playing it with the other hillbilly banjo players, Peter idiotically telling the robber where Chris lives and information about him (Wow!!! what an idiot :D lol), Herbert the Pervert leaving all of those messages on the answering machine at the very end of the episode, the FBI agents throwing a party at the Griffins' home, and many more. The episode as a whole made me laugh a lot and I recommend to anyone that's a fan of this show or just likes the how in general. Overall, an excellent episode of "Family Guy"... one of the episodes worth watching again. 9.5/10
  • Another hilarious FG episode

Chris chooses a robber out of a lineup, but after Peter accidentally tells the robber where the family lives, the Griffins are placed in the witness protection program. They are sent to the Deep South, where Chris makes a new friend, Sam. Peter questions the truth of a Civil War reenactment that showed the South winning the war, leading to Sam's father forbidding Sam from seeing Chris. Upset, Sam runs away with Chris and kisses him on the mouth. Chris tells Sam that he doesn't like boys and doesn't like him in a physical sense. The FBI agents guarding the Griffin house in Quahog accidentally tell the robber the location of the Griffins. Sam reveals to Chris that she is not a boy, but a girl. Then the robber arrives in the South, about to kill Chris, but the towns folk stop him just in time. This was another hilarious episode of Family Guy. The plot here was very well written...and there were a lot of parts that made me laugh. Also, the episode marks the first appearance of Herbert...who is starting to appear in a lot episodes after the show got revived usual as cameo. His part here was decent...so no problem with him. Anyway, the humor were Meg blaming Chris, then Peter thought she was blaming Chris (and refered Chris lardo), the family arriving at the house with a lot weird stuffs, Peter as a sheriff, Peter kept being attacked by a raccoon (funniest part), and a lot more. Overall, very funny episode. 10/10
  • Perfect.

What I liked:

-The robber

-Herbert the Pervert

-The raccoon

-Peter not rolling up the window when Brian walked in

and others

10/10

• Chris finds love and hate....

A dangerous criminal comes after Chris (the hate), who picked the criminal out of a lineup as the guy who held up a convenience store, sending the Griffin family to the deep South as part of the witness protection program. You can imagine how well the Griffin family fits into the town of Bumblescum but they make it work - Chris falls in love (the love), Peter and Brian find their calling as drunken town Sheriffs, and Stewie learns that he loves bluegrass music. Naturally, the Griffins being in the South makes conditions ripe for Family Guy gags on the Civil War, Southern education, The Dukes Of Hazzard, and other things that might make Southerners want to Secede again.
  • Great plot and humor.

To Love and Die in Dixie is definitely one of my very favorite episode of Family Guy. I liked the idea of Chris being in love, and the way it happened was so funny, they making us believe Sam was a boy at first, and Chris's reaction was hysterical when he found out he was a she. The raccoon running gag was hilarious, specially when the raccoon pops out of Lois' chest. Another one of my favorite scenes is Stewie playing the banjo with some other folks, specially the line "I've got blisters on my fingers!" lol, Helter Skelter rocks! Also the ending was pretty good with all the messages Herbert left, gotta love that perv xD. Overall, fanstastic episode, I can never get tired of watching it. Final Grade: A+
  • One of the most consistantly funny episodes ever

This episode finds the Griffins being transfered to the deep south after Chris is being chased by a crinimal he identified in a stand-up. In the south, Chris befriends a boy named Sam, who is actually a girl, Peter becomes sheriff, yet he later pisses off the town at a Civil War reenactment, and Stewie becomes a banjo player. Oh, and how could forget the introduction of Herbert, the creepy old pedophile, who likes Chris. This episode has a consistantly funny story, and even has a little emotional drama at the end. Herbert's first appearance also manages to be his most memorable one. There were a ton of funny gags here, like Chris reading his diary entry aloud, Peter being attacked by a raccoon repeatedly, and the Dukes of Hazzards tribute car. Overall, an extremly funny episode that I would reccomend to anyone. 10/10 A+
  • Should be re - named; how many cheap shots at Rednecks can we make in 20 minutes.

In it; During Chris's Paper route he witnesses a robbery and the family is forced to move to the South for the witness protection program. After initially despising it they soon start to like it until the crook finds them......

This episode's comedy and drama is like oil and water, it's either absurd or downright depressing at different times. The jokes are pretty lame; a raccoon constantly clawing Peter, the inept CIA, the old he - didn't say - oh - my - god - for - the - reason - why - we - thought - he - did gag as well as a tonne of jabs at the South. For me the only thing that worked comedically was the Dukes of Hazard style montage with Peter and Brian.

As far as drama; this episode is given a pretty serious undertone throughout and i admit that the final act with Chris and Sam and the Southeners defending Peter despite everything was quite touching but the affect is quickly ruined by Herbert (old pedophile who whistles when he talks) at the end, you'll see. The episode looks pretty terrible and whether it's the foreround or the background; the detail is sketchy and weird. Aside from a cameo by Waylon Jennings and Dakota Fanning; the vocals are at the usual level but at this early point of the show are still somewhat under - developed.

While this episode is important as it introduces Herbert and shows a prime example that the Griffin's wreak havoc no matter where; this episode just doesn't deliver the goods.
  • Very funny and extremely interesting!

Another remarkable episode of Family Guy - I found this one to be highly interesting and extremely funny. The storyline was exceptional and right from the start, the episode was very funny, such as when Peter barged into the robbers' room and gave away his son's identity.

I loved the whole storyline, and relocating the Griffin Family was a terrific idea, and I highyl enjoyed it. Although it is not the best episode, it is still great!

I also found the episode to be very funny, and I think it had all the aspects of a sensational episode. Keep it up, Family Guy!
  • My favorite Family Guy episode.

I absolutely loved this episode. It starts out with Chris on his paper route. He witnesses a robbery and then ids the robber in a line up. Peter, of course, messes things up by giving the robber everything he needs to know about Chris. We then find out that the robber has escaped from jail and is out to get Chris. So, the Griffin family is put in the witness protection program and has to move to the Deep South. Peter soon becomes the sheriff and Meg finds herself popular because she is from the North. In my favorite scene Peter tries to figure out an outhouse with unexpected results. Chris finds himself attracted to a boy and is very confused about it. This episode has so much funny stuff happen in it but I won't give it all away. It also happens to be the first appearance of Herbert, the creepy old man with a crush on Chris.
  • a very fun episode

Chris witnessed a robbery and as usual Peter made a mess of things, so now the family has to be located deep in the south. Every single stereotypical sthick about the South, particularly the Appalacia area, is there, thrown in for comedy gold. Memorable scenes include Peter telling everything vitale about Chris to the robber, the robber telling what's he's going to do now that he's out of prison to the evening news, the FBI portrayed as inept dorks, a cameo of Jeff Foxworthy, Stewie playing on the banjo, Peter being the sheriff of the town, Brian banging his head after Peter forgot to roll the windows down of the General Lee, Peter telling the town that the Civil War was not as accurate as they portray and Chris stumbling around girls and finally getting his somewhat first girlfriend. Unfortunately, this episode introduced the creepy Herbert but fortunately in this episode, his prescence is not too bothersome. This is a series classic that is fun and enjoyable to watch again and again.
  • Funny

A classic example of Season 3 was this episode. So much occurred and Chris was pretty much the pivotal character.

The robbery was where it all began so Chris who witnessed this roberry told the Police who did it. Since the guy responsible escaped from jail, he was determined to do a girl, and to kill Chris Griffin. The Griffins took off to the south which was where the best things happened. Chris's friend is actually a girl, Peter being attacked by a racoon was hilarious and the whole flashbacks dealing with Peter's job interviews was an instant classic!
    For the big finale, Chris was nearly killed off by the robber, but was shot in time. Hell, I got a lot of laughs from this, not heaps, but a good number. Peter and the toilet was nuts, and the everything. This was a classic, great example of the third season. I think it's a little underated though.
  • Chris is being tracked down by a criminal and the Griffins must live a new life in a southernhick town.

This episode isn't my favorite but it is funny and had alot of great moments, the funniest was when Peter says "Whoa wait a minute Pie? Drunk? The?" Because it just has that spark to it that makes it impossible to forget.
    This episode introduced a favorite character of mine, Herbert. His introduction changed the series and i enjoy all of his apperances because he is funny in a vry creepy way.
    Even though I enjoyed this episode it isn't my favorite of the series just because it dosn't have as funny of jokes as ptv, my favorite episode of all time.
  • A little far-fetched, but a good episode none the less.

• One of my personal favourites.

Chris picks a robber out of a line-up and then Peter accidentily tells him were they live so the Griffins must move to the south.

This is a spectacular episode contains one of my favourite lines(shown below). Peter is so funny along with Brian and Stewie as always. This is the episode when Peter doesn't roll the window down in the General Lee and Brian smacks into it and Brian throws a rock at Peter in a later episode for this. Great humour and a classic Family Guy episode.

Meg: (To Chris) I can't believe I have to change schools because of you! This is all your fault, lardo! Peter: Me? I had nothin' to do with it! Meg: I meant Chris. Peter: Oh. (To Chris) Yeah, lardo.
  • good

I love this one as it is very different to the other episodes in this season. Chris gets invited to a party to a girl he fancies and when he goes he unimpresses her. He goes down to the local store which is getting robbed and so chris has to say who he saw steal from the store.He goes unoticed until peter gives the robber a picture of chris, then the he escapes and so the family have to hide to keep chris safe. They all enjoy there time down south especially chris who gets a friend in Sam(who's a girl)until the find out the robber is out to get chris.
  • One of my favorites!

This episode is, by far, one of my favorites. It introduces one of the funniest (albeit most disturbing) characters, Herbert, who makes numerous other appearances throughout the series. ("I got a whole freezer full of Popsicles. Mmmmmm!") The story is this: after Chris witnesses a crime, the FBI relocates the Griffin family to the South. That's pretty much it. Although the main plot is fairly weak, the dialog and the side stories make this episode one of the highest-rated of all time. Stewie's banjo song is absolutely hilarious, as is the running gag of Peter getting attacked by a raccoon. Meg becomes one of the most popular students in her class (not very hard, when the smartest student is a pig), and Chris meets his first true love. I would definitely recommend this episode to anyone who loves "Family Guy".
  • i just watch this episode and it is extermily funny i laughted to death 10 for story and comdy that old man was very funny at the end of the episode best episode ever

this one of the funnist episodes of family guy ever very funny good storyline exciting very very very funny episide a 10 for comdy and story and the hole episode won part wen stewie siad you suck!!!!! im going to record this episode on the re-run on adut swim well thats my review bye.
  • Hard to watch... if you're from the south!

7.6
    I like this episode, Peter becomes a sherrif, Brian his Deputy, Herbert is introduced, Chris gets his job as a paper boy / falls in love... kinda/the fbi have crazy partys in the Griffin's house and it is a really funny half hour that was obviously worked hard on. I think at this time in the third's seasons' production the writer 's were cooking and the episodes that were rolling out were hilarious. This is in my top twenty and I often watch it wheen i've got the blues and always talk about it with my friends. Two Thumbs up - captaindillo, cdp magizine
  • Down In The South...

When Chris identifies a criminal, the Griffins are relocated to the Deep South town of Bumblescum by the FBI. There, Peter becomes the Sheriff, Stewie discovers the banjo and Chris makes a new friend called Sam. This is one of the funniest episodes of the series to date in my opinion. There is so much good stuff. The flashback of Peter with Simon & Garfunkel is great as are Chris' interactions with Herbert the creepy old guy. There's a great musical interlude with Stewie and his band and even the running joke of Peter being attacked by a raccoon doesn't get old.

It also has one of the funniest lines of the show. I don't know why but when Peter describes Southerners as suffering 'from the gum disease known as gingivitis', it just cracks me up. A great episode.
  • down south

The griffiin family is forced to move south because of a witness protection program. so the fbi is watching their home while they are away. meg has to go to a new little school with southern kids who become interested in her because she is from the north and knows all about the hip things. chris meets a new fried and gets into mischief such as poking a dead guy floating down the river. he and his friend have a heaven and he** discussion. peter drives a car similar to the one from duke of hazard into the house. stewie joins a bluegrass band and chris finds a girlfriend. while the fbi is at the griffins house and obe of the agents is palying twister.
  • super funny!

this episode is sooooooooo funny. when they have to move to the south and they end up getting stuck with a crappy house. stewiw plays the banjo. peter and brian get a car just like the dukes of hazzard. then the smash it into the house. peter goes to the out house and is attacked by a crazy racoon. chris becomes friends with this one boy they go done to a creek and poke at a dead body. they get closer and then the boy kisses chris and he ends up like it. it ends up the boy was actually a girl. they cant see each other because peter made fun of the town. while back at their old house the cia is having crazy parties. the robber comes to the town and tries to kill chris but ends up being shoot by the town folk. this is a good episode.
  • The Griffins in the south...Enough said.

In this episode Chris witnesses a robbery and has to pick the robber out of a line up. After he does so the robber breaks out of jail and vows to get back at him! So now the FBI has sent the Griffins into hiding. Where are they sent? The deep south of course.

In their new town they have many obstacles to overcome. Their new house sucks, they need to find jobs, and every one in town are hillbilly confederates!

Through out the episode the different characters have their own "adventures" and follow their own story line. And in the end the Griffins get attacked by the robber, who has found where they are hiding. After killing him the Griffins get the okay to go home.

This is a very funny episode and really shows why Family Guy is so popular.
  • THIS EPISODE IS THE BEST EPISODE OF FAMILY GUY EVER! Watch it or die.

In this episode, Chris is on a witness protection program after a criminal finds out about him thanks to dumb Peter. The Griffins therefore move to the South, which is a big stereotypical society. For once, Meg is popular which normally I wouldn't like as I hate annoying Meg, but for once she had one of the best parts.Brian and Peter recreate the Dukes of Hazzard while ticking off Civil War vets and Stewie gets to play a bango. Chris meets a new friend called Sam who is actually a girl, and some of the best clips mkes it a must watch. The racoon attacks were hilarious, as well as the outhouse joke. This is what I live for. Great episodes of my favorite show like this. Even 5 years later, this is by far the best Family Guy episode. EVER.
  • My favorite eppie of all! Next to the Stewie Griffin Movie.

I love the scenes wen ever Peter gets attacked by a racoon. I also love the scene when he\'s in a porta-potty. The duck hits and knocks it over. The crap and pee gets in his racoon wounds. Good thing I didn't see that part. I really like Herbert, the old man. He's ******* funny. I like it when askes Chris to have some popsicles but he rides away and Herbert says. "Get your fat ass back here." Then the phone messages. He leaves 103 of something messages. I like the "You Pigly Son of a **** Call me" part.
  • Best Episode of Family Guy ever!

Coming from a country state, it's funny to see Family Guy take a turn into a redneck atmosphere. It takes a lot to appreciate rednecks, but when you do, this episode means a lot. I love how they had General Lee in the episode and they had pauses for a narration like they did on the Dukes of Hazzard. That was priceless. I think the funniest part was when they were having the reenactment of the civil war and Grant was talking about doing Lee's wife. And Stewie learning how to play banjo and singing songs at the hoe-down was awesome.
  • This was THE greatest ever episode of Family Guy!

I don't know how I'll fill up the 100 words for this review; I dont know enough superlatives. Oh well, here goes.

The greatest, most freaking sweet, awesome, coolest, funniest, stereotypical, suicidal (I know, I'm just filling up words), incredible episode of Family Guy (and possibly of TV) EVER made!
    Even my mum (who normally hates Family Guy) reckoned it was awesome! All Family Guy haters everywhere should be made to watch this episode and we'll have the whole world hooked!
    This was one of the moments that made me pine for Family Guy during the whole time it was on hiatus.
    All right! 100 words! Later wankers, see you later!
  • The Griffins adapt to life down South after they enter the witness protection program when Chris ID's a robber. Stewie discovers the banjo, Chris discovers his attraction to his friend Sam, and viewers discover the hazards that a paper route can bring.

If you had to pick one episode that illustrates the comic genius of this series, this is it. From the hilarious skewering of the media (the TV news live shot as the robber escapes from prison is priceless) to ribbing the South for Civil War reenactments (honestly, does anyone in the North ever reenact battles from a war they LOST?) this episode has it all. Chris finds himself in the unenviable position of picking out a robber from a police lineup, but the cops assure him that his identity will remain private. And it does, until Peter enters the picture. To save Chris and his family, the FBI send the Griffins to the Deep South in the witness protection program. Once there, the Griffins adapt as best they can. Peter and Brian become the sheriff and deputy of the town, but not before they tee off the Civil War reenactors who believe the South actually won. Fortunately, Peter and Brian have the family car, now modified as the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard, and it saves them more than once. Back home in Quahog, Chris's new friend from his paper route (who remains unnamed until later in the series) wonders what became of the "muscly armed" paperboy. No review is big enough to capture all the brilliant allusions contained in this episode, and it alone is worth the price of buying the first DVD volume set.
  • THE Greatest Family Guy Episode!

Okay, after seeing every epidsode of every season, I have to say this one is still the best. I really loved the storyline in this epdisode. It was perfect. I loved the imitation General Lee. That was hilarious. I loved it when Brian tried to jump through the window and it was up. Everything about this epidsode was great. Hopefully one day we get another Family Guy episode like this one.
  • heh, i've seen funnier but that was pretty funny too!

wtf? 100 words? r u kiddin me?????????? omg i can even think of 50 words for this review and this site tells me to make 100? "god damn this world sucks" - figure out from who i quoted this yourselves ;P

ummm.. wow, a 100 words so far its 52 and im out of ideas well i guess i'll just count numbers to a 100

and here we go... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 828