Family Guy

When You Wish Upon a Weinstein

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 09, 2003 on FOX

• Mediocre but funny at the same time.

Its funny but very chessy and dissappointing.
  • Last original episode of Family Guy

The day that Peter buys volcano insurance is the day that Lois becomes fed up with their constant money problems. When Peter wishes for a Jewish "money guy" to help them, Max Weinstein comes to the rescue. After meeting Max, Peter decides Chris could be successful if he converted to Judaism as soon as possible, but the plans for a "quickie" bar mitzvah in Las Vegas are quickly foiled by Lois. As I stated in the tile, this is the last of the 50 original episodes for Family Guy. I have to admit, the original episodes were a little better than the revived series. However, there's a bit of different. The animation in the newer episodes are slightly better. American Dad is actually the other way around (NOT the animation, just the episodes styles). Anyways, this episode was a little dragged in some parts. I did laughed at some parts such as the show on Lifetime, Indiana Jones cutaway, Quagmire getting his keys (a little bit long), and more. I only included those because I hasn't watched this episode in a long time. I only saw this episode twice (in 2009). Overall, superb episode. 9/10
  • The last of classic Family Guy

A really funny episode. The dog whistle part was funny.

8.5/10

• The jewish episode of Family Guy

This episode is the only episode of Family Guy to be banned for a while (It was released on DVD eventually, and was edited a little.)And I can see why, as this one of the most hard-hitting episodes of Family Guy I've ever seen. But it's also probablly one of their best. In the ep, Peter spends money on Volcano Insurance (Yeah, I know) and Lois gets pissed at Peter, prompting him to find a jewish person, beliving the misconception that all jewish people are good with money. He then meets Max Weinstein, who gets his money back, and they go to Temple with him. Then, Peter decides to get Chris a quickie Brahmitzvah i order for him to be smart. The gags here are all pretty much home-run, my favorite being the brides of christ attacking Peter for going into Temple. This episode is also has a great (if slightly offensive) musical number entitled "I need a jew" sung to the tune of When I wish upon a star (The lyrics of this song were the main contraversy for the writers.) Overall, if you can stomach some of the material, then you'll find some of the best Family Guy moments in this episode. 9.5/10 A+
  • This episode was anti-semitic but funny otherwise.

4.5
    This episode, though I laughed at it, was very anti-semitic especially since I am Jewish. It barely makes any difference how FOX changed the liine from \"Even though they killed my Lord\" to \"I don\'t think they killed my Lord\", because I already saw the original. The rest of the plot was funny however, except for the whole sterotypical \"Jews with money\", and the stereotypical Rabbi.
  • Lucky there's a Jewish guy....

In classic Griffin-style stupidity, Peter buys volcano insurance. Now, I hope no one needs to pull up a map of Rhode Island to know that Peter does not need volcano insurance, if there is such a thing to begin with. The volcano insurance purchase is just one of a slew of things that has proven Peter to be a dope when it comes to handling his family's finances, but Peter has an answer: he needs a Jewish guy to handle his money. Enter Max Weinstein, tons of Family Guy jokes on all things Jewish, and Peter thinking the cure for his son Chris' stupidity is to make him Jewish. "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" is a funny Family Guy episode. The episode was originally banned from ever being aired, but luckily for Family Guy fans it is all-too available on the second volume of the Family Guy DVD set. This was an inevitable step for Family Guy, as it seems as if no American TV show cannot help but make an episode completely devoted to poking fun at all things Jewish, and is tastefully done for the most part (except for Peter's Pinocchio/Jiminy Cricket misguided Jewish-themed sing along moment). Expect your tradtional Family Guy humor on top of the Jewish gags.
  • classic peter

The day that Peter buys volcano insurance is the day that Lois becomes fed up with their constant money problems. When Peter wishes for a Jewish "money guy" to help them, Max Weinstein (a Jewish accountant) shows up at their door asking to use the phone to call for a tow. After meeting Max, Peter decides Chris could be successful if he converted to Judaism as soon as possible, but the plans for a "quickie" bar mitzvah in Las Vegas are quickly foiled by Lois.i don't see why its innapropet.they should have areid it during season 2(as it was planned)defenitly the best
  • A hilarious episode about the Jewish faith.

This episode was really funny espically the musical number entitled "I need a Jew" Pretty much this whole episode was entertaining, but the ending with the nuns beating Peter and Chris with rulers was the most hilarious part of the episode by far. In the end a series classic episode.
  • One more hilarious episode...

This is the banned episode that is hilariously funny... and I'm a Jew. If anyone hasn't seen this go out and buy the dvd so that you can enjoy this. I love Peter learning his lesson in this one. I even learned a few things. If there is another show that could get away with this being made (apart from South Park) I would like to see it. And the song of course is an hilarious parody and one more thing to mention is Peter buying volcano insurance-pure Family Guy. Maybe we need another banned episode, because this one was really great!!
  • When you wish for a great episode...

I just saw this episode for like the 3rd time on cartoon network just right now. This is the kind of episode you wish for on Family Guy!

After Peter loses money on volcano insurance he meets a Jew who is very good with money and so he thinks thats how all Jews are. Now he wants to convert Chris to Judiasm! Hilarious!

When they go for Chris\'s Bar Mitzvah Lois comes in and causes chaos. Once they leave Lois, teaches Peter just because you are of a certain religion it does not make you smarter than someone. Also she tells him she is better of with him than with the chimp her mother suggested.
  • Hilarious. Another laugh-out-loud "Family Guy" episode

Originally banned, this is another great "Family Guy" episode that will once again have you laughing from start to finish. There are many memorable moments and very funny references that make this very silly and very funny.

While the episode does focus around Peter (who usually steals the show when he's the star of the episode) but there are many great moments from all of the main characters. Chris has some solid moments, as well as Stewie. Plus the small characters all have something to add and help make this a great episode to watch.

"When You Wish Upon a Weinstein" is a hilarious "Family Guy" episode that, like a lot of the episodes before it, will have you laughing from start to finish. It contains a great deal of silliness and many fun references that will keep you entertained the entire time. While there are other episodes that are superior, this episode is worth a watch as well. Highly recommended.
  • This is one of my favorite FG episodes. It might be my #1.

Really the reason I like this episode soo much is the hillarious opening with the salesman and my most quoted family guy line "hmmm i too have an uncle". That just demonstrates how stupid peter is. I also like how peter acts like he's smarter than chris in this episode and uhhh can't really remember anything else..ohh the nuns i guess. and the money jar . I have nothing else to say. I'm just gonna complain about this 100 word minimum for the rest of the count....Family Guy is sooo random. My god still not 100..there we go! ! !
  • Peter needs a Jew.

7.4
    I Need a Jew Lyrics
    Peter Griffin: Nothing else has worked so far So I'll wish upon a star Wonderous shining speck of light I need a Jew Lois makes me take the rap Cause our checkbook looks like crap Since I can't give her a slap I need a Jew Where to find A Baum or Steen or Stein To teach me how to whine and do my taaaaaxesss... Though by many they're abhored Hebrew people I've adored I don't think they killed my Lord I need a Jew Max: Hi, my name's Max Weinstein, my car just broke down, can I use your phone? Peter: Now my troubles are all through I have a Jew! Max: Hey!
  • This episode isn\'t as bad as I thought it was.

6.7
    This episode was okay. It's not exactly one of my favourite episodes, but it isn't one of my least favourite episodes.

One of the good things about this episode is that there's a lesson to be learned at the end: that Jewish people aren't any smarter than the rest of us are.

It shows another part of Brian that makes him more like your typical dog. That's when Lois brings out the dog whistle. What's next? He actually starts eating dog food? That, I'd like to see.

I don\'t have much else to say about this episode.

• Optimus Prime got messed over here

I know that this is merely a satirical cartoon aimed to make fun of random stuff, but still, as a true TransFan (Transformers Fanatic) There are a few things that bothered me here:
    1: Optimus was not Orange, he was Red!!!!
    2: I can accept the scarf thing coming from his headlights, but why was the Jewish Cap in his \\\'Ab-section\\\' and not in his Matrix chest cavity, where his important poccesions are kept (Matrix)
    3: Maybe this is because of animation budgets but the Transformation sequence was way off the mark
    4: The Transformation sound effects were also way off

Sorry to rant but i just had to get that off my chest
  • not anti-semetic anti everything...thank god!

this episode pokes fun at all faiths all races and seeing most of the writers are jewish and the main writer is jewish should tell people hey we aint so bad in fact we can laugh at ourselves unless....and then it got banned....well eventually it sees the light of day i cant see what all the fuss is about the wish song was hilariousi was more offended by the rock lobster song peter did ...but i forgive him for that as i couldnt stop laughing.......yeah a good episode brave and totally kosha
  • You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child then do you know what that makes you? A paedophile! And I'll be damned if I'm gonna stand here and be lectured by a pervert!

While some may be offended by the episode, personally I loved it and thought it was very funny especially the volcano insurance and Peter's song which were both hilarious.

Peter believing that all Jews were smart and good with financial decisions was a brilliant characteristic and was very entertaining.

Chris' fight with the lamp proving Peter's view on Chris (that he's stupid) was great evidence and showed why they were going to do a quickie Bar Mitzvah in Vegas.

The side jokes that went throughout the episode regarding Lois considering that monkeys are smarter than Peter then she's better off with them rather than Peter was also very hilarious all the way through to the end, Lois convincing herself and her husband that just because Steven is more successful and makes more money than Peter doesn't mean he's smarter.

Overall, this episode is very good and worth watching though some may find it a little offensive.
  • Although not the best episode ever, this is a great episode.

PLOT: Peter wishes for a Jew to help him out with his money problems. Afterwards, Max Weinstein, a Jew, comes to his door. Peter asks him for money help, and he helps him get Lois' money back after Peter spends it on "volcano insurance". After seeing how successful Jewish people are, Peter plans to convert Chris to a Jewish person in order to make him more successful in life and school.

This was a great episode. The plot was very original and great, IMO. There was a lot of funny stuff in this episode, like the parody of the TV show "Seinfeld" shown on the Griffins' TV, Peter's talk about how Lois talked him out of getting "cloud insurance", saying that the clouds were just plotting and picking their moment, then it shows the clouds talking outside, and the flashback to the Jewish musical "Fiddler on the Roof" starring William Shatner that Peter started talking about. The character development with Peter towards the end of the episode was great, as well. As usual, the plot also developed greatly throughout the episode, too. Overall, this is a great episode.
    8.6/10.
    ~Pharaoh2.
  • Peter seeks help from a jewish guy for money problems and figures the only way Chris will suceed is if he becomes jewish.

Un-fricken-believable. The whole episode is one great line or scene after another. I mean the scene where they are all sitting down eating dinner and Max says that he can\'t eat the casserole and Lois asks because its not kosher. That had me rolling. I mean come one would anyone eat it. (actually I know people who would.) The greatest part would have to be the scene with the nuns and the bus. Yes the song was just hilarious but the scene where the nuns are running from the convent to the bus and you see the penguin behind them is just great. The reference for those of you that might know in the original blues brothers movie they called the head of the orphanage the were raised at the penguin. All in all a great episode and I feel one of the best.
  • Peter needs some money and highers a Jewish person to help him organize his finances. Peter then believes if he converts his son into Judism then he can become smart.

This episode is great! What can I say there are a lot of jokes about Jews but all I can say about that is, \"Learn to laugh at yourself or people will hate you.\" This is a great show and is a great example of how great the writing is on this show. One of the things I love most about Family Guy is how spontaneous and outrageous it is. Now I just recently got into the show so I haven\'t gotten to see all of it\'s glory, but if I were to choose one episode to show someone new to the show this would be it. All I can say about this episode is \"uhh oh.\"
  • In this episode, peter is having financial problems, so he finds a jewish man to help him. He then decides to convert Chris, so that he will become smart and successful as well.

This episode was hilarious. The network pulled it for being too anti-semetic, but as a jew, I didn't find it offensive. This series approaches many other subjects the same way, and the fact that the network pulled was, to me, more offensive than the episode. It is definitely one of the best episodes of Family Guy, by far.
  • This was a very good episode that was very funny. I saw it this a few months ago and was one of the first episodes that I had seen, the first one on FOX.

I liked Ben Stein as the rabbi. Good episode to see and Family Guy is a great series to watch.
TBS