Family Matters Forums

ABC (ended 1998)

Harriett Winslow # 1 or # 2

Animegirlx

[21]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    She shouldn't have quit cause she was just as funny as everyone else. She shouldn't have quit cause all the charcters are funny =(
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

txgirl75

[22]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    I heard it was becuase she didn't like the direction the show was going.

telvisnostic

[23]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 52
    I also heard that she wanted to direct some episodes but was turned down.

Animegirlx

[24]Jul 28, 2008
    • level: 7
    I think she was good and she was really popular to me

sportsrock95

[25]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 13
    Harriet Numero Uno was certainly better.

snake63

[26]May 21, 2009
    • level: 21
    Jo Marie Payton was justified in quitting because Family Matters was a spinoff of her character from Perfect Strangers. The second Harriett was annoying.

Codeguru

[27]May 21, 2009
    • level: 6

Oh my god, if she was ever on Perfect Strangers I totally forgot. They seriously need to rerun that show, Balchey is great! And I say if they show hadn't constantly lost actors for stupid reasons, it would have gone on for at least a few more years than it did. Steve Urkel made the show go, why not just relax on the gravy train and look at upcoming prospects for when the show ended? The second Hariett, was simply not Hariett. That's what people have learned finally in todays movies, if you change the actor, you lose the fan base. I love how Wolverine is played by Jackman and only Jackman now. If they changed from him, there would be no point in going to watch the movie. Same thing with Toby McGuire, wussy as he is, and the Spiderman movies. I always wondered what would happen if they replaced Neo in the Matrix with Nicholas Cage half way through. They both seem similar in appearance and style of acting...

Codeguru

snake63

[28]Jun 9, 2009
    • level: 21
    Jo Marie Payton's character Harriett worked in the same newspaper that the Perfect Strangers characters Larry and Balki did. She became so popular they gaver her own series. Reginald Johnson "Carl" was in Die Hard.

waterlady03

[29]Sep 23, 2009
    JoMarie Payton left the show because she was fed up with the fact that Family Matters had centered itself too much on Urkel and it was getting tiring. She also wanted to direct one episode for it, but the producers said no. If I were them, I would've allowed it and have the show be ballanced between The Winslows and Urkel once more.

buffyjl

[30]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 20
    Codeguru wrote:

Oh my god, if she was ever on Perfect Strangers I totally forgot. They seriously need to rerun that show, Balchey is great! And I say if they show hadn't constantly lost actors for stupid reasons, it would have gone on for at least a few more years than it did. Steve Urkel made the show go, why not just relax on the gravy train and look at upcoming prospects for when the show ended? The second Hariett, was simply not Hariett. That's what people have learned finally in todays movies, if you change the actor, you lose the fan base. I love how Wolverine is played by Jackman and only Jackman now. If they changed from him, there would be no point in going to watch the movie. Same thing with Toby McGuire, wussy as he is, and the Spiderman movies. I always wondered what would happen if they replaced Neo in the Matrix with Nicholas Cage half way through. They both seem similar in appearance and style of acting...

Codeguru

All I can say is:

-JoMarie was the best Harriette

-Harriett #2 wasn't as great

-...but she was STILL a btter choice than Nicolas Cage!

Jamesbray

[31]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 13
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Jo Marie Payton-Noble, the original actress who played Harriette (originating the character on Perfect Strangers), left in December 1997 because she was unhappy with the emphasis placed on Steve Urkel and his sub-characters (Stefan, Myrtle, O.G.D., etc.). When a Parade viewer asked why she was replaced, Jo Marie Payton-Noble stated that she also wanted to write or direct an episode, but was never permitted to do so.

There's your answer.

buffyjl

[32]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 20

Jamesbray wrote:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Jo Marie Payton-Noble, the original actress who played Harriette (originating the character on Perfect Strangers), left in December 1997 because she was unhappy with the emphasis placed on Steve Urkel and his sub-characters (Stefan, Myrtle, O.G.D., etc.). When a Parade viewer asked why she was replaced, Jo Marie Payton-Noble stated that she also wanted to write or direct an episode, but was never permitted to do so.
    There's your answer.

So this means that O.G.D. and J.M.P. were both 'original's.

Raccoon1459

[33]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 22

The first Harriette. The woman who played her is actually from the same town that I live in.

navy10

[34]Jul 4, 2010
    • level: 2
    Does anyone else get that 'Different Vivian' vibe from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? They both look nothing like the original, but at least the actor for Vivian acted like her. I was quite ashamed at her replacement.

Sept77

[35]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 1
    I was a little disappointed that JoMarie Payton left the show. The vibe of the show wasn't the same when Judyann Elderly performed Harriett, cause they changed the character appearance after so long that JoMarie performed it. They should of just have JoMarie kelp her role as Harriett Winslow and reduce her presents in the series, Harriett appears in the more necessary episodes. Then they would explain her absents that she's away taking care of her sick relative or whatever. I rather believe the reason why JoMarie leaving Family Matters don't have nothing to do with the character Steve Urkel. JoMarie performing her role on Family Matters for so long then suddenly the character Steve Urkel gets to her that she quits the show? The center of the show shouldn't of been around Steve, true. The name of the show is "Family Matters" not "Steve Urkel" show. But how the show would of been like without Steve? I look at Steve Urkel as the backbone of Family Matters.

waterlady03

[36]Jan 30, 2011

Sept77 wrote:
    I was a little disappointed that JoMarie Payton left the show. The vibe of the show wasn't the same when Judyann Elderly performed Harriett, cause they changed the character appearance after so long that JoMarie performed it. They should of just have JoMarie kelp her role as Harriett Winslow and reduce her presents in the series, Harriett appears in the more necessary episodes. Then they would explain her absents that she's away taking care of her sick relative or whatever. I rather believe the reason why JoMarie leaving Family Matters don't have nothing to do with the character Steve Urkel. JoMarie performing her role on Family Matters for so long then suddenly the character Steve Urkel gets to her that she quits the show? The center of the show shouldn't of been around Steve, true. The name of the show is "Family Matters" not "Steve Urkel" show. But how the show would of been like without Steve? I look at Steve Urkel as the backbone of Family Matters.

I think what the producers could've done was put Steve in the backseat and give him some minor subplots, not enough to get rid of him. This could've helped bring thefocus back on the family.