Family Matters

I Should Have Done Something

Aired Unknown Apr 26, 1991 on ABC

• Carl's Somber Song

Other than the Steve Urcel subplot which put a good balance to this episode, this episode is really about Carl. We actually see this character at his most human level, where we actually see him suffering from interal scars from the job. At first his frustrations are exteranlized and of course it's commical, for example attempting to use his nightstick to break a pickle jar just to get one out. But of course we then discover the cause of the frustrations when we see a news report video about what happened during a hostage crisis which went wrong.

He then says something to Harriet about his pain despite the knowledge that it wasn't his fault, "I know it here (points at his head) but I don't know it here (points at his heart)." And he of course asks himself a common question, could things have happened differently, I think it's a common feeling most Police Officers feel. There was a soulful moment in the whole episode that is enough to put tears in anyone's eye when Carl visits the grave of a person he failed to save, and a conversation with the wife of the decessed. We discover she has been going though that same experence as Carl, she asks herself whether she shoudn't have asked her husband to go to the store to buy ice cream or not. Even though her words are warm you also sense some pain in them. The episode shows something about Policeman's post tramatic stress why it never really leave a person after they've done their job. No one can ever really know the answer to what if, thats just how it goes in life and we can only move on.