Family Matters

ABC (ended 1998)

Tubelubber

Family Matters Fan Reviews page 2 of 4

• THis show is so funny and old but it is a very great show.

In the show there are your typical average family until there neighbor Stever Urkel comes along and ruins all of there days but he deson't mean to. The show is very funny and the setting is really good. Steve is also so funny and he makes the show very popular. I think it was the 3rd season the badest part start to happen because most of the actors started to leave because it was all about Steve and they left then the show started to fall apart. This show gets a 9.4 from me the show is hilarious but it just fell apart.
  • Steve Urkel is hilarious.

I just saw one of the episodes on Nick @ Nite and I thought it was funny! One of my favorite characters from the show is Steve Urkel. One of his funniest catchphrases is "Did I do that?", and calling Carl Winslow "Big Guy". This is one of the greatest sitcoms in the 1980s next to "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". It was a shame that it had been cancelled in the late 1990s, but at least we still see the reruns on Nick @ Nite. Like I said, "Family Matters" is one of the most funniest sitcoms of all time!
  • i love it

Family Matters is an Image Award & Emmy Award-winning American sitcom about a middle-class African American family living in Chicago. The series aired from September 22, 1989 to May 9, 1997 on ABC and, with a network change, moved to CBS on September 19, 1997 to July 17, 1998.
    The show, a spinoff of Perfect Strangers, originally focused on the character of Carl Winslow and his family: wife Harriette Winslow, rebellious son Eddie Winslow, smart daughter Laura Winslow, and youngest child Judy Winslow. They had opened their home to Carl's street-wise mother Estelle Winslow as well as Harriette's sister Rachel Crawford and her son Richie Crawford after the death of Rachel's husband. The Winslows' nerdy next-door neighbor Steve Urkel was introduced midway through the first season, and quickly became the focus of the show. It was part of ABC's TGIF from 1989 until 1997 before it became part of the CBS Block Party lineup from 1997 to 1998. The Winslow family is a pretty normal family except for one thing, their neighbor Stephen Urkel. A genius and klutz Steve makes some really weird inventions while driving the Winslow's insane.
  • Barely started watching it on late June 2008.

I never knew about this until it was being shown on NICK. My brother & sister watched this before I did..just like That 70's Show. but anyways, this show is hilarious. Though Nick@Nite made a mistake by showing the Episodes out of order & showing some ad at the credits even though something about the episode is being shown during the credits. I enjoy watching this episode alot. It would be my Top 5 Favorite "real life[not reality]" show. Can't wait until the Show heats up around the last 4 Seasons. But for some reason Nick has never shown the Myrtle Urkel or Stefan Episodes yet, & I really want to see it but overall a great & funny show.
  • A good show

I'm glad they brought this show to Nick at Nite. I used to watch it on ABC family all the time. Family Matters is a nice show filled with both comedy and appropriate family and life lessons. It has the humor of Urkel and the other characters feuding with him to make it interesting, but it also balances with the important life lessons facing families today. In that way, it doesn't come off as too crude or sappy. Sometimes the lessons are rushed too quickly, though, as if it was suddenly easy for the character to finally realize his/her mistake after a lecture. Although a little rushed, I like this show more than Full House. It will always be one of my favorites.
  • The greatest show on television in my opion.

This show centers around the Winslow family.. and Steve Urkel! =D Okay, first the Winslow family. Carl Winslow is the "tad overweight" cop of the Windy City, Illinois and is married to Harriet Winslow. They have a son-the oldest-Eddie, or Edward. He's tall, athletic, like girls-lol-and is pretty funny. He's a great character, and unlike most shows, he comes to his father when he does something wrong, or something wrong happens to him.

Judy Winslow is their youngest daughter, and their youngest child. Judy rarely appeared in many episodes, and I never got used to her. She wasn't really my favorite character. Her parents convinced her to quit the show and she went on to do something else. Laura Winslow, middle child but oldest of the two daughters, is an attractive, sarcastic (like mother, like daughter, lol) and smart girl. Steve Urkel, played by Jaleel White-yep this is where he comes in-is attracted to Laura. He first appeared in an episode called "Laura's First Date", midway through the first season. He was only meant to be a recurring character but audiences everywhere loved Steve and he was then a regular.

Steve is a smart and brainy, and is the coolest nerd you'll ever find. =D He's attracted to Laura who a lot during the show, constantly rejected him. In a 1994 episode, he once said it has been over 900 rejections for Laura to go out with him. Lol. But then, fortunately for me, Laura started falling for Steve late, and soon got engaged but were never seen married. =( Myra, played by Michelle Thomas who died at age 28 of cancer, frequently tried to break up the couple 'cause, crazily, she was somehow extremly crazy for Steve from the very start. She constantly annoyed me, seriously.

That's all the main characters besides Mama Winslow-Estelle-Carl's mother who gets remarried in 1993 or 1994. She is a wise grandmother, but grandmothers are supposed to be wise, right? She is funny and a great part to the show. Waldo Geraldo Faldo, is the dumb but lovable friend of Eddie's. You could get by with him saying the blue stuff in the air is water and the moon is made out of cheese. =P That's it.

Peace.
  • You Rock, Family Matters!

Even though Family Matters was made a few years before I was born, I find it a great show. One episode will make you love this series. Just like "Full House", this series deals with every day life problems. Sometimes they even go into graphic problems, such as shooting in school or white skins police officers prejudice against black skinned people. The reason I like this series is because of Urkel. If this show did not have Urkel, there would be no point in watching this series. Except, maybe for Waldo. Towards the end of the series, it began to go downhill. I wish they would have kept Waldo and not added 3-J. 3-J was kinda unnessicary to the show. Steve moving into the Winslow's house was a very good idea, though. And, I loved the series finale. When Laura married Steve, who saw that coming?
  • this show focuses on the family of a cop and his wife and his three children

i loved this show back in the day and when i found out it would be on nick soon i was screaming so loud it woke up my dogs..lol..so i will definitely watch it..i used to watch it every sunday when it came on and i loved it..its so funny..carl tries to keep things together but obviously that doesnt happen most of the time and harriet is the more lenient parent..the kids are so kooky and crazy and it got even crazier when harriet's sister moved in..the kid added to the craziness..and the most loveable and dorky character was obviously erkel..and when he became stephan..oo whee
  • Urkel!

family matters was one of the great sitcoms of the 90s I watched it as a child with my family every weke when it came on the best aspect is of course, Urkel! This family comedy is so funny. I have some episodes on my iPod and I watch the earlier eps all the time but i dont rally watch the old ones closer to the end alot because i like the earlier ones that much but they are still pretty darn good all of them are good i love this show and its brand of comedy. Yay Urkel! Rules! hj
  • Funny

Family Matters is about the Winslow's family. Father and cop Carl. Mother and elevator operator Harriet. Grandmother and street smart Estelle, 15 year old Eddie, 13 year old Laura and 9 year old Judy. Also a part of the house hold is Harriet's sister and writer Rachel Crawford, and Rachel's baby, Richie. Next door to them lives nerdy, clumsy and genius Steve Urkel. In the second season things change, Rachel builds her own resturant, Richie grows into a three year old, and Urkel becomes a main cast member. Steve provides most of the comic releif in the series, mostly by tripping, breaking things, and revealing his affections for Laura.
  • steve urkel lol

Everything was going along just fine until one day, Steve Urkel, the inventive nerd, barged into their home and eventually, into their hearts. Steve had a killer crush on Laura, but she would never give him the time of day. Steve Urkel was intended to be a one-shot appearance, but his popularity with the fans won him the number-one spot as America's favorite nerd. i like this show soo much. i remember how steve urkel always used to annoy that guy that was a cop and how he was always trying to hit on laura but she always resisted him. my 2 fav episodes are the one where he could read minds and the one where that place was gonna blow up if that cop stopped jogging i dont rmemeber much from this show but i do remember steve urkel and i do remeber it was one of my favortie old skool shows from bak in da day.
  • Ahh....Family Matters! A show that changed comedy forever!

I have loved this show for a long long time, even as a little kid. The jokes were hysterical and good enough to tickle one's own funny bone in a natural way rather than get people to laugh through the most vile methods known to man. Jaleel White will be forever remembered as Steve Urkel, America's favorite nerd. I sometimes even do a few impersonations every now and then like the laughing pig snort, the "Did I do that?" and many more! This is one show I can never get tired of, nor outgrow. I will try to watch this show whenever I can.
  • The Steve Urkel Show

Yes, they should have most definitely renamed Family Matters, The Steve Urkel Show. The other actors were OK, but it was really Jaleel White that made the show so excellent. I watched some episodes when this show first started off, in the first few seasons, and I couldn't help but notice how terribly bland it was, and most of the main actors and recurring were part of the original cast. But once they added actor Jaleel White to the show, it improved it very much for the good and for the sake of this show's ratings. The writers, producers, and directors were all very aware of how modest their ratings and how small thew viewer audience was, and they found the perfect solution to save their show, and they added him just in time too. You have to give them a lot of credit for that, and that is why I give this show a 10.
  • one of the best shows I ever watched

classic to the bone.One of the best comedy shows I ever watched.Hole family is funny but Steve Urkel is freaking funny
    one of the classical characters and one of the best besides Al Bundy.season 2 and 3 are the best and that freaking idiots from network stoped producing the series because the popularity was declining.They adleast should`ve had the decency to finish the show and not to stop it in the middle of the season
  • I liked Family Matter since I was six or seven years old!

Man, this show were so funny and got the greatest character of all times.....Steve, I loved that character as much I like Carl. Everytime bad things happen Steve always says " Did I do that" had me cachinnation everytime I see that. The theme song was estimable almost good as the " Full House" theme, I wish I could recorded the theme on my computer.

I feel sorry about Mylra ( If that how you spelled her name) Michelle Thompson had died in 1998 of a stomach disease before the show had ended, she were a humourous character and have a crush on Steve.

Long live Family Matters! :)
  • I love this show. Steve Urkel was the one that made this show even funnier. I also like the theme song. I sometimes sing it when it comes on. This show rocks. My favorite characters are Steve, Carl, Waldo, and Weasel. They were funny.

It was a good thing that thry added Waldo and Weasel. Waldo appeared in season 3 and 4. And some in season 5. Weasel only appeared in 5 episodes or more I think. This show is a classic. Steve Urkel played six characters. Steve Urkel, Mrytle Urkel, Stefan Urqualle, Bruce Lee Urkel, Elvis Urkel, and Original Gangsta Dawg. All those characters that he played were funny. It was sad when Michelle Thomas died. She died of stomach cancer. I feel sorry for her family. They need to put this show on dvd. It will be a must have and a collector`s item. And you can live out Steve Urkel`s moments. I`ll do anything to put this show on dvd.

RIP Michelle Thomas.
  • I love this show. Great humor and story line. I love Estelle and Waldo. They bring great humor!!

One thing I always have to ask myself is why didn't the Winslow's get a restraining order against Steve? That is the first thing I would do. It's hard to feel bad for Steve since he basically stalked Laura for a long time, but I am the type of person who doesn't find this type of humor funny and I do know the answer is "because it is a TV show." Anyway it's nice to see the story of Steve and Laura developed. The show did real well for developing the characters. Great Job. Has always been one of my favorites.
  • Classic about a lower to middle middle class family in the southside of Chicage in an urban neighborhood it started off simple enough family sitcom like except they were African American the most popular african american show next to the Jefferson;s

This show taught more about class and chivalry and honor than anything I've seen the role of Jaleel is unprecedented and could not ever be matched again by anyone even himself to this day it is his most famous role and that's not a bad thing the fact that it did what it did tackled so many issues in one of the rawest ways i've seen on television with Urkel all the way i guess im not allowed to say what i wanted to say so hit me if you wanna hear
  • Classic show that is eminent because of Steve Urkel! LOL! Man I loved this show.

Not many shows get steadily better every season, but Family Matters was one of those amzaing shows. I LOVED seeing Steve Urkel get more Urkel-like each season. :P And I loved seeing the other characters grow up too. It was such a fresh and unique show. It didn't have a cliched theme like so many other sitcoms. I loved seeing Steve goof up and get himself and others in, and sometimes out, of trouble. And I liked seeing how Laura developed feelings for Steve. (Awww...so sweet.) It had its serious times, as well as it's hilarious moments. Family Matters was just an all around good show, and will always be one of my all-time favorites.
  • STEVE! Got to love him baby.

How can anyone not like this show? Steve, everyone knows him. One of the funniest characters ever on TV. He did a great job in all episodes. Yes it did get a bit repeatative but still funny. His love for the girl next door never gave up til the end of time. He married her good for her and him. This was a great show and i hope that everyone feels the same way as i do. Take the tiem and watch this show. I hope it makes its way out on DVd so i can start another collection of TV series.
  • Jaleel White rocks!!!

If they ever release this show on DVD, we should NOT buy the 1st season box set! Jaleel White as Steven Urkel is da MAN! He rocks! He's also Sonic the Hedgehog! Ignore all negative reviews about Steven Urkel, and get the 2nd season first! This show is NOTHING without Jaleel White!
  • I love this show. Steve Urkel was the one who made this show even funnier. I also like the theme song. This show rocks.

My favorite characters are Steve, Carl, Waldo, and Weasel. They were funny. It was a good thing they added Waldo and Weasel. Waldo appeared in most of the episodes than Weasel. Weasel only appeared in 5 or more episodes I think. This show is a classic. I haven`t seen every episodes of this show. Jaleel White played six characters. He played Steve Urkel, Myrtle Urkel, Stefan Urqualle, Bruce Lee Urkel, Elvis Urkel, and Original Gangsta Dawg. All those characters Jaleel White played were funny. It was ad when Michelle Thomas died. She died of stomach cancer. I feel sorry for her family. They need to put this show on dvd. It will be a must have and a collector`s item. And you can live out Steve Urkel`s moments. I`ll do anything to put this show on dvd.

RIP Michelle Thomas.
  • One of the classic TGIF shows

Family Matters is a show that anyone can watch. Parents and children can watch it together without getting embarrassed. They don't make shows like this anymore.
    The show is entertaining. It's funny and well-written. We have a wide range of characters and they all work together to make a great show. No character feels out of place at any time.
    This show does a great job of showcasing the parents and the children. It's about everyone, not just children, not just adults. We have plotlines revolving around Carl, Harriette, Rachel, Laura, Eddie, Steve...everyone. It's not "We have children, but forget about them, it's about me." And it's not "I have parents, but they're not important so let's ditch them." It's "We're a family and here are our problems, here are our good times. Here's every member of our family and our friends." That's what makes it a good show.
  • It truly is a classic of good television. The antics Steve does is the whole reason to watch the show.

Family Matters is a perfect spinoff from Perfect Strangers in which Harriet Winslow was the elevator operator. But this show focuses on her family, the Winslows. And they are Harriet Winslow(Jo Marie Payton then later played by Judyann Elder in episodes 206-214 when Payton left)Carl Winslow(Reginald VelJohnson)Eddie Winslow(Darius McCrary)and Laura Winslow(Kellie Shanygne Williams). Judy Winslow was another daughter they had, but one episode she walked up the stairs and never walked down again. Her character was discontinued after season 4. Although slow in the beginning, Family Matters finally picked up the pace with the addition of Steve in season 2, his antics and flubbed "inventions" wreaked havoc with the Winslows the entire series. But he became the main draw of the show, because of how funny he was to watch. And no one can forget his unrecquited love for Laura. He later dated Myra for 3 seasons but in season 9, Laura finally decided that Steve was the one she loved, and the moment fans had been waiting for since the beginning finally happened....Steve proposed to Laura and she accepted!!!! Unfortunately, soon after they got engaged, NASA called on Steve for his assistance with setting up his science project in space. In order to do this he would have to train for 6 months, before finally getting deployed into space. And once in space his invention goes wonky, and attracts a satelite to the space shuttle, which it puncures. As the other two astonaughts aboard are unconcious and injured it's up to Steve to go outside the ship and dislodge the satelite. The country is watching nervously as all of this takes place, and when Laura here's about his tether not being attached, and that he will just float into space forever, she breaks down. But Steve, ever the one to surpass people's expectations, finds a way to get back to the space shuttle safely. Cheers go up around the nation. The episode and series conclude with a heartwrenching final scene of Laura talking to Steve and telling him never to leave her again, and them embraced in a passionate kiss. The perfect way to end the series.:) If you've never seen this, or just haven't bothered to watch the reruns, go do it, it is truly a classic meant to be seen over and over again.

My favorite adults:

My favorite Ships:
    Steve/Laura
    Waldo/Maxine
    Eddie/Greta
  • Though it had a slow start, it finished strong, with the main focus of the show shifting from the Winslow family to Steve Urkel and his exploits with the Winslow family.

Jaleel White (aka Steve Urkel) made this show what it became. Before he made his entrance as Laura's potential first date, the show was very shaky to say the least. (The opening credits had Eddie bagging groceries, yet there was no mention of him having a job.) Steve Urkel entered through the door, and the premise of the show changed. (They even axed Judy from the cast/family.) Rachel would later go as well, but the show's ratings shot up as the storylines centered around Steve, from his inventions (the Urkel chamber, etc.) to his pestering the Winslow family and his pursuit of the "girl of his dreams", Laura Winslow. As the series goes on, the viewer hears of Steve's parents, but they never see them at any of the special events in his life, thus making the Winslows his "family". One feels sorry for poor Steve, the girl he likes more than anyone detests him, his parents are never there for him,(his bedroom is in his basement) and the only friends he has, the Winslow family, prefer not to be. Later in the show's run, all of that becomes the opposite, as he moves into the Winslow home, wins Laura's heart from Steffan Urquelle (the cooler version of Steve Urkel) and his parents move to Russia.
  • A tv series that did not make sense at first , byt cleared up towqards the end. Waldo wa the funnuest.

A show abouta family constantly bugged by the next door nieghbour steve urkel. The guy honetsly loved laura, he worshipped the ground that she walked on eveyday of his life. He did a good job doing it too, he managed to change his voice for a whole 9 years and thats impressive. Waldo was one of the stupidest poeple, but funniest person, i have ever SEEN ON TV. He never dissappionted wiht his stupid remarks about everything and everyone. Carl was funny when steve pissed him off eevryday, when he flipped out constantly on steve, the series was ok, but not rememorable.
  • this is one of my favorite sitcoms its alot like step by step only its funny and the families black

this is one of my favorite sitcoms its alot like step by step only its funny and the families is black The show started like fox's version of the cosby show but when they introduced thenew main character, Steve urkel, it became a hit how thast pretty wacky and out of this world, The only question i have is how they some how planned to get rid of Judy and not have anyone who watches notice, I mean they could have had an episode where she goes on an exchange program ( i dont thik thats possible for middle schoolers but oh well)
  • Family Matters is Secretly One of the Best Shows of the 90s

7.4
    You can lie all you want about not liking Urkel and saying that the characters were cheesy and that you couldn't stand the theme song and everything else about it, but whenever Urkel would either knock something down or cause someone to throw food, you couldn't be in a happier place. Urkel is one of the most original characters in the history of television and was the first true nerd. You can say what you want about the guy from Welcome Back, Kotter, but Urkel set the bar for incredibly nerdy kids. He is like the Rosa Parks of losers. This and Whose Line is it Anyway are the two funniest shows that ABC has had in the last 15 years. So watch it on ABC Family, you know you want to. If your friends mock you, just talk to a child of the 90s. We all truly loved that show.
  • This show is great.Its funny and well funny

A perfect spin-off from Perfect Strangers. Family Matters focused on Harriet Winslow (the elevator operator from the Chronicle) and her family of sorts. Carl Winslow, her husband, was a dutiful cop, and a gruff and lovable father

to three kids: Eddie Winslow, the rebel son; Laura Winslow, the smart-alec daughter; and cute little Judy Winslow. They had opened their home to Harriet's sister, Rachel

Crawford and her little baby son Richie, and in the very first episode, Carl had to open his home to his cool and streetwise mother, Estelle Winslow, whether he wanted to or not. Everything was going along just fine until one day, Steve Urkel, the inventive nerd, barged into their home and eventually, into their hearts. Steve had a killer crush on Laura, but she would never give him the time of day. Steve Urkel was intended to be a one-shot appearance, but his popularity with the fans won him the number-one spot as America's favorite nerd.
    I really love this show I wish they can bring it back that will be great.My favorite character is Steve Urkel because well he is funny always getting on peoples nerves.
  • One of My favorite 90's shows in the TGIF block. Get this on DVD now!

I used to always watch this every week on TGIF. I used to always come home from school and be like "TGIF is on tonight!" What made this show so funny was the nerdy neighbor Steve Urkel. He became so popular that many people started referring to this show as The Steve Urkel Show instead of Family Matters. Steve Urkel would always come over to the Winslow's house to pester Carl and see annoy Laura. Even though Laura rejected Steve numerous times, he never gave up. What was funny about Steve was his funny inventions. Steve always caused some kind of an accident and then used his catchphrase "Did I do that?". I still enjoy watching syndicated reruns on ABC Family at 1PM. Please get this show on DVD pronto!
1 2 3 4