Family Matters

ABC (ended 1998)

Family Matters Fan Reviews page 3 of 4

• One of My favorite 90's shows in the TGIF block. Get this on DVD now!

I used to always watch this every week on TGIF. I used to always come home from school and be like "TGIF is on tonight!" What made this show so funny was the nerdy neighbor Steve Urkel. He became so popular that many people started referring to this show as The Steve Urkel Show instead of Family Matters. Steve Urkel would always come over to the Winslow's house to pester Carl and see annoy Laura. Even though Laura rejected Steve numerous times, he never gave up. What was funny about Steve was his funny inventions. Steve always caused some kind of an accident and then used his catchphrase "Did I do that?". I still enjoy watching syndicated reruns on ABC Family at 1PM. Please get this show on DVD pronto!
  • One of the great shows of the 90's!

Family Matters is one of the classic shwos that everyone can watch. It was a funny, clean show, a combination that is rarely seen on the comedy shows today. Steve was a loveable chracter who was wacky, clumsy, but a good person who in the end after years of rejection gets the girl of his dreams. The Winslow family was a typical family that had its issues every once and a while but are always able to stay together, a value that isn't seen too often today on TV. When the show went to ABC and CBS the plots got a little crazy (but interesting at the same time), but the show was still very good. They should do a reunion show sometime, that would fun to see.
  • This show is a show based on the life of a geeky teenage boy named Steve. Steve is the classic high school nerd trying to win the love of his life.

Family Matter is a family show with a typical family and the neighbor who nobody likes. Steve (the neighbor) tries everything that he possibly can to win Laura\\\'s heart, but nothing he seems to do works. Except for the episode where Steve turns him self into Stephan. Stephan has no problem winning Laura, that is until he then tells Laura that he was really Steve. Steve is the kid with the really annoying laugh and is very clumsy, it is not out of the ordinary for Steve to break something and say \\\"DID I DO THAT?\\\" Carl is the typical humorous cop. Carl and Steve do not see eye to eye very often.
  • A great sitcom for any age. It was great, because it wasn't you're typical family sitcom, like Full House, and Empty Nest, it brought a new angle to the picture. This is one series that will remain my favorite all the way.

Fmaily Matters was a great show, it could have lasted a lot longer. The show knew it was in trouble without Steve Urkel, that's why they put him in there as a regular, without him, I doubt the series would have lasted past season 2, they could have left the youngest daughter in there, she was good. The one that played Rachel wanted to do other things, unfortuneatly they didn't work out. Season 9 was the worst year for Family Matters, the original Harriette left the show for other things she wanted to do. And, who's decision was it to have it move to CBS, CBS killed it, they kept bouncing the show around the Friday time slot, same with Step By Step, the ratings fell fast cause people weren't used to it being on CBS, and they kept moving F.M. around the primetime schedule, how do you expect a show to survive, if you don't know when it's coming on next? The two factors that killed the show were the switching of times from week to week and a different Harriette.
  • My favorite television show

Family matters was the greatest show ever on TV. It focused on the Winslow family, and after a while, on Steve Urkel. Steve was the best character for his funny sayings, and I just love to turn on the television and watch this show when I am bored. I found a few episodes to be rather annoying, a lot of them being in the later episodes, but mainly, this show was great and one to watch as much as possible. So I would suggest that if you have not seen this show, check it out, because you will love it.
  • I love this show. Steve Urkel is the one who made this show even funnier. I also like the theme song to. I sometimes sing it when it comes on. This show rocks. My favorite characters are Steve, Carl, Waldo, and Weasel. They were funny. It was a good thing

that they added them. Waldo appeared in most of the episodes than Weasel. Weasel only appeared in 5 or more episodes I think. I don`t be having a good schedule to see this show. Only if I`m not in school. This show is a classic. There are some episodes that I haven`t seen yet. Steve Urkel played six characters. Steve Urkel, Myrtle Urkel, Stefan Urqualle, Bruce Lee Urkel, Elvis Urkel, and Original Gangsta Dawg. All those characters that Jaleel White played were funny. It was sad when Michelle Thomas died. She died of stomach cancer. I feel sorry for her family. They need to put this show on dvd. It will be a must have and a collectors item. And you can live out Steve Urkels moments. I`ll do anything to put this show on dvd.

RIP Michelle Thomas.
  • I loved the first season, sans Urkel!

TGIF(Thank Goodness for Family Matters). This was a perfectly normal, funny family show that had no problems until the annoying next door neighbor was introduced. Every season, he took over the show more and more until the other actors were mere background noise. This show REALLY jumped the shark after Harriett the first was dumped from the show. The second wife was terrible as the mother. I remember turning to the show one day and seeing her and thinking she was a guest or a relative of the family. The family togetherness of the Winslow's was heart-warming at first, but eventually, the outlandish '2-Urkel' sketches and watered down storylines brought the show down. And why, oh why, did they have Laura end up with that nerd? That was the last nail in the coffin.
  • family matters was a spin-off of perfect strangers that shared the same "sitcom engine" as other miller-boyett shows such as full house and step by step. the show lasted 9 seasons, but only the first four were the only ones worth watching.

in the late 80's and early to mid 90s, ABC had built its own niche to thrive on what was the strongest ratings catcher and that was family sitcoms. by 1994, ABC had excellent family shows that i enjoyed watching growing up like Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters, and Boy Meets World. Family Matters was introduced in Septmeber 1989 that following Harriette Winslows family matters (get it?). Harriette was an elevator operator at the chronicle where mark linn baker's character in Perfect Strangers worked at. Season 1 basically consisted on what the whole sitcom was supposed to focus on (it shows in the series 2nd episode) and that was family sticking together through the thick and thin. and then episode 16 rolled in....the world premiere of Steve Urkel.

Steve Urkel was a nerd that had a big crush on Laura, the eldest daughter. during season 1 urkel popped in a little bit for a few episodes and go on his merry way. but unfortunately for some of the main characters, it would be that same thing that a minor character like Urkel would do that would demote characters like Judy Winslow, Richie Crawford, Rachel Crawford, and Mother Winslow from their main character title, to recurring role title.

Season 2 came with very subtle changes. it was like season 1 but with Urkel around full time. this is where things begin the beginning of the end for Judy Winslow. this season will allow very little air time for her as her character is slowly dying with very little room to grow as we as viewers have to make more room for Urkel. Now dont get me wrong, i dont mind Urkel at all. for the first 3 and a half seasons, hes acutally funny. but seeing as how ABC saw him as a ratings magnet, they scrwed everyone else on the show when it comes to their character plots, this including the whole reason for the show, Harriette Winslow.

Skipping Season 3 because its pretty much like the same as season 2, Season 4 is when you see the last bit of originality plot wise with the show. You can tell by the vibe of the show by season 4 that the angle of the show is changed. by this point, they should have changed the show to Urkel Matters. The show circa Season 4, now focuses more on the teens, eddie, laura, urkel and friends rather than the family matters themselves. they introduce a love interest for urkel, but not for Judy. Season 4 marks Judy Winslow's demise as she is written out of the show by season 5. Mother Winslow and Rachel are seen a lot less as well.

Seasons 5 through 8 lack any originality at all. when these episodes appear on TV now, i dont watch mainly because they are all exactly the same. each episode (especially during season 7) always starts out with the same general idea: how can Urkel piss of Carl this week? or what unbelievable project or invention did Urkel make this week? Just plain unoriginal, it was just tiresome and boring to watch.

Season 9, the final season oddly enough, had a different vibe about it. this was the first and only season aired originally on CBS. the 9th season had an ongoing plot through all of the episodes; Laura having feelings for Steve (finally). it is not until predictably towards the end of the series that Laura finally accepts Urkel's given marriage proposal. Knowing that the series was cancelled long before the series finale was to be written they could ahve had a better series finale for it. instead we (predictably) find Urkel in some kind of predicament. Urkel is in space to test out one of his inventions for gravity. he somehow ends of in the middle of space with his oxygen level depleting with no way to get back to the space carrier. he rigs the satellite to work as a rocket and makes it back to the space carrier. the series' last scene involves Steven coming back home with whats left of the original family. by this time, the original Harriette left the show for the same reason i stopped watching it after season 4, Rachel appeared only one time in season 9 and a few times from season 5-8, Richie was not even in the final episode. There was a rumor that there was to be a season 10 on the WB11 with the return of Judy Winslow, but i dont see how that would be seeing as how Family Matters plummeted over 70 spots in the ratings that year which is obviously why it was cancelled.

i cant say that i hated the show. i loved the first 3 and a half seasons of the show because it stuck to its roots. and all though Urkel was funny early in the series, he ruined the show later on. it would have been better off cancelled after the fourth season
  • this is the best family sitecom cuz like it's ole school but it still hits home and stefan and steve are both too hot for words lol yeah i'm an urkel freak

this is the best family sitecom cuz like it's ole school but it still hits home and stefan and steve are both too hot for words lol yeah i'm an urkel freak but no like every now and then when i have time i watch a little and it makes me feel like their my close friends that i haven't seen in a while but no family matter's isn't like any other show because they bringin new and lovable characters like murtel urkel and o.g.d steves cousin from detroit lol but yeah thats why this show should come back lol
  • Awesome Show!!!

Family Matters is like one of the best series I've ever seen it's really funny I wish it could keep going at least they still show it unlike all these other shows now they dont even bother to show them. They show make a channel where shows like this and other could air that'd be great!
    Anyway... I give this show a two thumbs up!
  • One of the funiest Tv shows

Family matters at times made me cry and laugh. It showed that family cares about each other and work things out even though Steve Urkel made messes all the time i still liked the show.This makes my dad laugh when things go wrong and makes us sad when something goes wrong.
  • It's very, funny this show.

The story of Family Matters was a great hit ever since the first episode. It has lasted for 9 seasons. It's very hard to believe it's over. Oh well! The many concepts used in this show were very dramatic. Theres a nerd, who swithces into a cool person using his machine. Then, there's the father of the house who lives right next door to the science guy. He's a police officer who's been married to a wonderful wife. They have three kids: oldest son, 2nd oldest daughter, younger daughter, and in the final seasons, the youngest son who's adopted and is friends with her aunt's son. Therefore, the show gets pretty twisted sometimes and definently unpredictable. This is absolutely wonderful Show!
  • Great Show

The Greatest Show ever its a really great show yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
  • Best Show ever!

Best show ever!I love it!Bring it back!Theres alot of junky shows that the reason I laughing at it is because there actually being aired!Not this one!Love it!To bad comedys our the genre with the fewest long shows!If this was a soap,it would still be in its prime 20 years from now!I mean an ultra-cool guy disguised as a nerd is super funny its self,But constint experamint mess-ups and "Did I do that!''s,its SO funny!I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Urkel, come back!I even named my pet fish Steve!So please, o please bring it back!I know i'll make a show called 2006,Family Matters a decade later! bye!
  • it was absolutele fantastic.

i watched it evry time when i was younger. i never missed an episode. it was such a nice and fantastic show.i loved all characters especially steve, he always made me smile i felt bad when i had to go to boarding school cos i couldn't watch it again and by the time i was back they had stopped showing it.This show is a classic.It was so funny.Anytime i was sad and i watched it it made me happy again because steve and all his inventions.i wish they could bring it back again it would be so lovely and nice if they could, but i guess all good shows have to come to and end.
  • Family Matters was an African American sitcom which aired from 1989 through 1997 on ABC, and 1997 through 1998 on CBS. During its first year, mostly, family issues were dealt with, and as the show entered its second year, the character icon Steve Urkel, p

Family Matters will always be a personal favorite of mine for years to come. The family was always so close to each other, and they all had the best advice and motivating lines around. Urkel was a very unique, funny, and lovable character that I absolutely can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t get enough of. Some of the things they did on the show with Urkel were outrageous for a sitcom, and so well done. That poor set was destroyed so many times, not just furniture, but entire walls by a lawn mower and the family car, those kitchen windows never seemed to dodge shattering, the garage door was totaled thanks to Steve\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s car, and the coffee table must have been replaced about 100 times during the entire run. Though, this was what made the show funny.

May Family Matters be remembered for years to come.
  • I really miss this show. I feel it was the last big family comedy that was actually good that we'll ever see.

If you were like me with this show, you forgot the whole "Family Matters" thing completely and just started calling the show "Urkel." However, this show had much more to it than just the nerdy neighbor who broke everything he touched. It also showed a what a family should be like and who to overcome your problems (The real ones, not like accedental trips to Paris and the 1700's). In my opinion, it will take something really special to entertain a live studio audience as much as this show managed to do. All good things must come to an end, and "Family Matters" did it timely and before everything became stale. I only wish they did it for one more year just to give fans their fill.
  • A really good show

This show is my all-time favorite TV show. I grew up watching it, and I still watch the reruns from time to time. I think this show portrayed black families in a positive light. It showed how to handle problems that a lot of families face every day. And even though the show focused on Steve Urkel in the later seasons, it was still a wholesome family sitcom that people of all ages could identify with. This series also crossed color lines, as people of all races fell in love with the show and its characters. This show is a staple when it comes to black sitcoms, and sitcoms in general. It's no wonder it was the second longest-running black show in history, behind "The Jeffersons" (and suprisingly one notch above "The Cosby Show").
  • Read Inside!!

I only have one thing to say about this wonderful show...AMAZING! Everytime it come on, I find myself running for the television to see the mischief caused by Urkel and his crazy antics. Oh, and Laura is sooo hot, she was the first non-white person I ever had a climax watching. She was so great espcially when they were in Paris and she was wearing that really tight shirt showing her amazing cleavage! Man, I'll never forget that for the rest of my life. God, she excites me to no end, sometimes I'm completely glued to my pants from the inside.
  • I wouldn't say this show was before its time but it should have had more time and more seasons because when they ended it, it was just getting good in the season and in a couple of years. The family really showed how some families work but not most.

Great show and needs to come back. This show was one of the best shows ever for families. The show should have had more seasons and had more famous people to come on. Right when it was ended it was just getting good. They should bring it back or create a spin off with Steve and Laura some years later.
  • -

Definitely a great show. The episodes were packed with so much drama and realism experienced by teens, parents, and family overall. Even with the absence of one of the children, the show went on strong. However; when the show really became focused around Urkel, the show lost some its flair and family appeal. And also the adding of young 3J and Stephan. That was a little much but I will still always love the show.
  • Great Show

Is it me, or didn\\\\\\\'t CBS pick up \\\\\\\"Family Matters\\\\\\\" for it\\\\\\\'s final season? It had a series finale on ABC, then went straight to CBS for another year (if my memory serves me right). CBS was trying to compete with ABC for some sort of TGIF theme,called a Friday Night Block Party, which failed miserably. They even replaced Harriet Winslow with an actress named Judy Ann Elders, Gina\\\\\\\'s mom from \\\\\\\"Martin\\\\\\\". And yes, I do remember Urkel and Laura getting married. All in all, though, great family show, hated to see it end.
  • What's the different between Summary and Review? What are we suppose to write on the Summary section?

It's true that without Steve Urkel this show would just be another typical show of family problems and within 30min the problem would be solve. Steve made it funny, and added a new flavor.

It is just too bad they did not have a proper ending. Unlike other shows. Anyways, I wished they had a better ending like Urkel & Laura actually had a wedding. Correct me if I\\\'m wrong, but isn\\\'t it because Michelle Thomas (as Myra), had a stomach cancer and died at December 1998. Was that one of the reason why they decided not to continue it?
  • "Did I do that"

This was a great show, I used to watch it all the time, Steve Urkel was funny,he would never stop courting Laura even though she would always turn him down, The show had a great cast, I had the pleasure of meeting Jo-Marie she is a very nice lady. I like mother winslow she was great,Family Matters was just a classic show.
  • The Winslow family is a pretty normal family except for one thing, their neighbor Stephen Urkel. A genius and klutz Steve makes some really weird inventions while driving the Winslow\'s insane.

I watched this show for a long time, I watched in reruns and when it was on TGIF, that ABC Friday lineup (Thank God it\'s Friday) The truth be known this show would be absolutely nothing without Steve Urkel. The show was essentially a typical sitcom of the eighties that was goody two shoes and nothing ever really bad happened. In a way it remained that way even after the show but Steve Urkel made it so much funnier.
  • Fun show until it became the Steve Urkel Science Hour

One of the staples of any kid in the 90s after school TV watching diet. It was a decent, but tame family show that became more interesting and more popular when Steve Urkel came aboard. Unfortunately, the show increasingly focused on the exploits of Steve and the show started going downhill fast.

Steve Urkel is just like alcohol and religion. They're best in small doses, for small moments where you can appreciate what they have to offer. That's where Steve worked best. Sometimes a lot can be fun and even liberating, and some Steve-centric episodes were hilarious. But too much for too long can turn a good thing into a disease. Steve Urkel was a disease during that final few years. Shows started focusing on his love life, how he could magically turn into different characters by hopping into a machine, and culminating in a ridicluous final episode where he went to the moon. I wish he stayed.
  • Uh.. did I do that!?

Family Matters was a sitcom based on a middle class African-American family living in Chicago that ran from 1989 to 1998 on ABC and later on CBS. The show, which was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers, originally focused on the character of Harriet Winslow and her family: husband Carl Winslow, a police officer; rebel son Eddie Winslow; smart daughter Laura Winslow; and youngest child Judy Winslow. They had opened their home to Harriet's sister Rachel Crawford and her son Richie Crawford, as well as Carl's streetwise mother Estelle Winslow.

Steve Urkel (played by Jaleel White), was the most famous character on the show. Introduced midway through the first season, the bespectacled Urkel, complete with high-pitched voice and suspenders, was the ultimate nerd; he was highly intelligent but was very clumsy. His trademark line, "Did I do that?" (whenever he caused an accident) became a catchphrase imitated across the United States.

Originally intended to be a one time only character, White's portrayal of Urkel was so enthusiastically received, that he became a permanent part of the cast; in fact, several scripts had to be hastily rewritten to include Urkel, while new opening gags were added on already completed shows.
  • I loved A Family Matters. I have been watching it since it first started. I liked Laura Winslow played by Kellie Shanygne Williams because she is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Family Matters was set in a house with the Harriet's Sisters.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes.

They helped to make the story more exciting.
    Some of the main chracters were Carl, Laura, Edddie, Steve Urkel and Judy.

Each episode was a story on its own but it formed part of the whole story.
  • great show

about a family residing in chicago with an annoying neighbor who is always chasing after the daughter(Laura) and having constant accidents causing him to tear up the winslow household. A great comedy, but it lost points because of the ending. It was so predicatable and everybody knew that Laura would end up with steve. I think it could've ended up different, but overall it's a classic show.
  • Definitely good

This show doesn't deserve a 10. It deserves 100. The show wasn't all that great at the first season, but as soon as Steve Urkel(Jaleel White) stepped in, it became a really good show. It takes away the pressures of everydayife by making Urkel do those clumsy things to make everyone laugh. The show just got funnier by adding Waldo to the show, and they even show Jaleel White as a regular person as Stepphan Urquelle. Urkel's obsession with cheese put me over the edge, and also the way that everyone wanted too avoid him except Myra. By the last season Laura started to like Steve and soon they were engaged. Even though the show didn't have an ending, it did really well in its years.
1 2 3 4