Family Matters

ABC (ended 1998)

Tubelubber

Family Matters Fan Reviews (108)

• Annoying

This is the most annoying and aggravating show to have ever disgraced TV! With all the annoying things that that idiot says, "Did I do that?" and "Morning Winslows!", he's voice makes me want to kill myself! How it ever managed to be somewhat popular, I don't know, but it has a stupid plot, with stupid people. The show might be half-way decent if it didn't have that annoyance, Steve Urkel! So, like I said, worst show ever!I'm glad it's not on the air anymore, to bad it's on Nick at Nite, but it's good that it's only on at like 4 AM!
  • It seems like this family doesn't matter...in other words AVOID

How did this show last for 9 seasons is beyond me. This has to be one of the worst sitcoms that I have seen throughout my 15 years on Earth. There was hardly a thing funny about this show. It was just the typical Miller-Boyett dreck.

For starters, this show is called "Family Matters" not "The Steve Urkel Show". The title of this show is misleading because the show mainly focused on Urkel and not the family. I will admit that the earlier episodes did focus on the family, but once Urkel showed up, he ruined the whole show. Later seasons were completely unwatchable as these episodes focused on Urkel and his sub characters (Stephan, Original Gangsta Dawg) etc. Characters disappeared without explaination such as Judy. In fact, her character didn't really do much in the show.

Like Full House and other TGIF drivel, this show was filled with corny morals and sappy moments. Where is the comedy in that? The plots were ridiculous, even for a sitcom. Urkel's weird inventions would send the family off into space, to Paris etc. What is funny about that? Nothing.

This show is great for kids 12 and under, but if you want a show that is actually funny, I suggest that you avoid this show at all costs.
  • No...more....Urkel. He completely took over the show and by the end of the series' WAY overdone run on TV his character was a complete farce.

1.8
    I suppose with all the bland characters on this show, it's only to be expected that Steve Urkel would eventually take over the show. But did they really need to turn to all the completely lame and pathetic scientific crap to keep the show fresh? By scientific, I mean the machine in Urkel's basement that turned him into the ultra-suave Stephon Urquell. Of course, he used this alter ego to swoon Laura, the woman of his dreams. However, for a show that was supposed to be about good old family values and a family trying to make it by in the 'hood of south Chicago, this seems a little far fetched. It isn't the freaking Jetsons or Lost in Space!

That aside, the show wasn't very funny at all. Every good sitcom has at least one character who is in the spotlight and is usually the center of most of the hijinks. This show didn't have that for me, as I found Urkel to be extremely grating and one dimensional. His signature "Did I do that?" got old after one season, but he was never given anything else to work with.

In summation, I don't recommend this show and I don't think it's any small wonder why it is hardly shown in syndication anymore.
  • Not that good. They might as well have called it 'Urkel'.. Because I was watching it on COMCAST and it said "A modern Chicago family is bothered by their neighbor, Steve Urkel". The show isn't that good, but it had his funny parts. SOMETIMES. Turn off the

3.2
    Not that good. They might as well have called it 'Urkel'.. Because I was watching it on COMCAST and it said "A modern Chicago family is bothered by their neighbor, Steve Urkel". The show isn't that good, but it had his funny parts. SOMETIMES. Turn off the TV, Puh Lease!
  • give her the shoes

I've been trying to watch this episode but cant find it online. I just remember the final moments of the show when you hear gunshots and the camera turns to a cops style shooting with it shaking and following the action to make it more intense and it cuts over to either laura or urkel cradeling their fallen friend screaming "why didnt you just give them the shoes.!" so corny,looking back its probably pretty funny I have to find it

then fredie prinz jr. refuses to give up his gun at the gun drive.
  • This show was great the first four seasons, about a husband and wife, their 3 kids, the mom's sister and nephew, and the dad's mother. But after the fourth season, 1 of their kids (Judy) dissapear and so does the mom's sister (Rachel) abbondoning her son

This show was great, with a pesky genius living next door, Steve Urkel who had a cruch on the daughter Laura. Then we were introduced to their son Eddie's friend Waldo Faldo, who isn't exactly Einstien. Then their younger daugter Judy, along with Harriette's (the mother) sister Rachel dissapear, abbandoning her son Richie. Rachel did make some other appearances, but not many. Then Waldo leaves, the grandmother and Richie dissapears in the final season. I loved this show until the fifth season, then it make's no sense. But I really like the first four seasons, it's very funny. Watch it!
  • Family Matters is Secretly One of the Best Shows of the 90s

7.4
    You can lie all you want about not liking Urkel and saying that the characters were cheesy and that you couldn't stand the theme song and everything else about it, but whenever Urkel would either knock something down or cause someone to throw food, you couldn't be in a happier place. Urkel is one of the most original characters in the history of television and was the first true nerd. You can say what you want about the guy from Welcome Back, Kotter, but Urkel set the bar for incredibly nerdy kids. He is like the Rosa Parks of losers. This and Whose Line is it Anyway are the two funniest shows that ABC has had in the last 15 years. So watch it on ABC Family, you know you want to. If your friends mock you, just talk to a child of the 90s. We all truly loved that show.
  • Good

This show was decent, but like most people, I find the last few seasons to be really... out there and sometimes hard to watch. I mean I liked all the characters, including Urkel, but the show changed. Plots would be too out-there and it wasn't really something kids would get. The show still focused on the family but not nearly as much as the earlier seasons. But I don't think Urkel killed the series entirely, as some do. I just think he, his character, made it science fictiony.

So, my overall grade for this show is about a C+/B-. Good in some places, not so good in others
  • wow

Jaleel White bought a special character to this show. His character wasn't intended to be in all the episodes as the star. His character was only supposed to be a guest star. The director and producer liked his character so much that they decided to put him in the show as the star. The show is rated 8.7 and shouldn't change. The show was not as good as The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air but also wasn't as bad as the Jerry Springer Show. The cast brought new stars on the show in almost every episode. Throughout the show, they only needed to change one cast member. That member is Jo Marie Payton to Judyann Elder that played the mother as Harriette Winslow.
  • family matters was a spin-off of perfect strangers that shared the same "sitcom engine" as other miller-boyett shows such as full house and step by step. the show lasted 9 seasons, but only the first four were the only ones worth watching.

in the late 80's and early to mid 90s, ABC had built its own niche to thrive on what was the strongest ratings catcher and that was family sitcoms. by 1994, ABC had excellent family shows that i enjoyed watching growing up like Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters, and Boy Meets World. Family Matters was introduced in Septmeber 1989 that following Harriette Winslows family matters (get it?). Harriette was an elevator operator at the chronicle where mark linn baker's character in Perfect Strangers worked at. Season 1 basically consisted on what the whole sitcom was supposed to focus on (it shows in the series 2nd episode) and that was family sticking together through the thick and thin. and then episode 16 rolled in....the world premiere of Steve Urkel.

Steve Urkel was a nerd that had a big crush on Laura, the eldest daughter. during season 1 urkel popped in a little bit for a few episodes and go on his merry way. but unfortunately for some of the main characters, it would be that same thing that a minor character like Urkel would do that would demote characters like Judy Winslow, Richie Crawford, Rachel Crawford, and Mother Winslow from their main character title, to recurring role title.

Season 2 came with very subtle changes. it was like season 1 but with Urkel around full time. this is where things begin the beginning of the end for Judy Winslow. this season will allow very little air time for her as her character is slowly dying with very little room to grow as we as viewers have to make more room for Urkel. Now dont get me wrong, i dont mind Urkel at all. for the first 3 and a half seasons, hes acutally funny. but seeing as how ABC saw him as a ratings magnet, they scrwed everyone else on the show when it comes to their character plots, this including the whole reason for the show, Harriette Winslow.

Skipping Season 3 because its pretty much like the same as season 2, Season 4 is when you see the last bit of originality plot wise with the show. You can tell by the vibe of the show by season 4 that the angle of the show is changed. by this point, they should have changed the show to Urkel Matters. The show circa Season 4, now focuses more on the teens, eddie, laura, urkel and friends rather than the family matters themselves. they introduce a love interest for urkel, but not for Judy. Season 4 marks Judy Winslow's demise as she is written out of the show by season 5. Mother Winslow and Rachel are seen a lot less as well.

Seasons 5 through 8 lack any originality at all. when these episodes appear on TV now, i dont watch mainly because they are all exactly the same. each episode (especially during season 7) always starts out with the same general idea: how can Urkel piss of Carl this week? or what unbelievable project or invention did Urkel make this week? Just plain unoriginal, it was just tiresome and boring to watch.

Season 9, the final season oddly enough, had a different vibe about it. this was the first and only season aired originally on CBS. the 9th season had an ongoing plot through all of the episodes; Laura having feelings for Steve (finally). it is not until predictably towards the end of the series that Laura finally accepts Urkel's given marriage proposal. Knowing that the series was cancelled long before the series finale was to be written they could ahve had a better series finale for it. instead we (predictably) find Urkel in some kind of predicament. Urkel is in space to test out one of his inventions for gravity. he somehow ends of in the middle of space with his oxygen level depleting with no way to get back to the space carrier. he rigs the satellite to work as a rocket and makes it back to the space carrier. the series' last scene involves Steven coming back home with whats left of the original family. by this time, the original Harriette left the show for the same reason i stopped watching it after season 4, Rachel appeared only one time in season 9 and a few times from season 5-8, Richie was not even in the final episode. There was a rumor that there was to be a season 10 on the WB11 with the return of Judy Winslow, but i dont see how that would be seeing as how Family Matters plummeted over 70 spots in the ratings that year which is obviously why it was cancelled.

i cant say that i hated the show. i loved the first 3 and a half seasons of the show because it stuck to its roots. and all though Urkel was funny early in the series, he ruined the show later on. it would have been better off cancelled after the fourth season
  • Fun show until it became the Steve Urkel Science Hour

One of the staples of any kid in the 90s after school TV watching diet. It was a decent, but tame family show that became more interesting and more popular when Steve Urkel came aboard. Unfortunately, the show increasingly focused on the exploits of Steve and the show started going downhill fast.

Steve Urkel is just like alcohol and religion. They're best in small doses, for small moments where you can appreciate what they have to offer. That's where Steve worked best. Sometimes a lot can be fun and even liberating, and some Steve-centric episodes were hilarious. But too much for too long can turn a good thing into a disease. Steve Urkel was a disease during that final few years. Shows started focusing on his love life, how he could magically turn into different characters by hopping into a machine, and culminating in a ridicluous final episode where he went to the moon. I wish he stayed.
  • I loved the first season, sans Urkel!

7.8
    TGIF(Thank Goodness for Family Matters). This was a perfectly normal, funny family show that had no problems until the annoying next door neighbor was introduced. Every season, he took over the show more and more until the other actors were mere background noise. This show REALLY jumped the shark after Harriett the first was dumped from the show. The second wife was terrible as the mother. I remember turning to the show one day and seeing her and thinking she was a guest or a relative of the family. The family togetherness of the Winslow's was heart-warming at first, but eventually, the outlandish '2-Urkel' sketches and watered down storylines brought the show down. And why, oh why, did they have Laura end up with that nerd? That was the last nail in the coffin.
  • this show is funny

family matters is funny.the first time i saw it is when it first came on nick at nite.this show is real funny.steves inventions that destroy carls house are funny and my favorite moment is when he destroys carls attic in the garage.this show is a funny classic tv show.waldo is funny in the one episode when they go in a bar.carl and steve are the funny characters in this show.steve cant even sing,but its really funny.this show is one of the shows funnier than home improvement.now its seen at nick at nite and its really funny like drake and josh.
  • It was a great funny show until...

Family Matters is a funny, funny great show that had real life issues such as racism, or about telling the truth and such. I love Steve Urkel he's my personal favorite on the show after awhile he's the main reason people watch the show but during the last couple of seasons this show got really really idiotic and unbelievable that's why I believe it was canceled. Come on a machine that turns Urkel into two people? How believable is that? Not very! The Cosby Show and other shows were around for a long time because of them being believable. Thanks Spiederman
  • It's not called Urkel

Many people refer to this as "The Urkel Show" but he didn't even show up until halfway through season 1. The show wasn't all that great until he showed up and I don't think it would have lasted more than a season or two without him. It got a little ridiculous when his clone actually became a separate character though. And the show broke one of my own cardinal rules. DO not "forget" characters. Daughter Judy simply disappeared and was never mentioned again. THis has been done many times on other shows like Happy Days, Life With Bonnie and Step By Step. It is infuriating. Just because producers decide to forget characters doesn't mean that we the viewers will! Sure, in this case Judy wasn't a major character but at least say she got a scholarship to a performing arts school or something.
  • I love this show. Great humor and story line. I love Estelle and Waldo. They bring great humor!!

One thing I always have to ask myself is why didn't the Winslow's get a restraining order against Steve? That is the first thing I would do. It's hard to feel bad for Steve since he basically stalked Laura for a long time, but I am the type of person who doesn't find this type of humor funny and I do know the answer is "because it is a TV show." Anyway it's nice to see the story of Steve and Laura developed. The show did real well for developing the characters. Great Job. Has always been one of my favorites.
  • A tv series that did not make sense at first , byt cleared up towqards the end. Waldo wa the funnuest.

A show abouta family constantly bugged by the next door nieghbour steve urkel. The guy honetsly loved laura, he worshipped the ground that she walked on eveyday of his life. He did a good job doing it too, he managed to change his voice for a whole 9 years and thats impressive. Waldo was one of the stupidest poeple, but funniest person, i have ever SEEN ON TV. He never dissappionted wiht his stupid remarks about everything and everyone. Carl was funny when steve pissed him off eevryday, when he flipped out constantly on steve, the series was ok, but not rememorable.
  • Urkel is what glues this show together.

Okay... so this isn\'t my favorite show, but it\'s good when there\'s nothing else on TV.

Steve Urkel is what glues this show together, for without him, the show would be quite unfunny, excluding the Carl\'s mother who is also really funny.

All in all... this a pretty good show, but not the greatest ever seen on ABC\'s TGIF lineup.
  • The Time Machine is the best invention ever!

For an old 90's classic, this has got to be the best series ever! I love how the role play is... everyone really embraces their characters. From the drama, the comedy, to the dual identity of Urkel, this is a great show for families to watch and if you're ready for a laugh!
  • Puts a smile on face every time.

This show is very funny in my opinion and I think it can get a little out of control but makes me smile still. But in my opinion I think Steve is the best character in the show, he really made the episodes very interesting ( despite the fact that he can get annoying from time to time.) But the other characters are very enjoyable and are like able, and can make people laugh as well. With all of that being said this show is a great sitcom and is most definitely worth a shot and will entertain you.
  • A 90s show about and African American family living in Chicago.

The Winslows are the main family portrayed in this series. It is a family show and comedy that is appreciable by a wide viewer audience.

The Winslow family is diverse with many children, two adults, and a grandmother. This is a nice family structure and continues for a long time.

The character development throughout their entire run is very interesting, especially the never ending harassment by Steve, who played a vital role in stirring cheezy comedy.

Through the shows many turns, there are many valuable lessons portrayed and a certain reality that most shows don't capture for a family audience. Its captivating and different from normal meaningless fun created in many other shows during the time.

This show is great for anyone with a good eye for shows in the 1990's.
  • one of the best shows ever

this is one of the best shows ever back in the 90s and its about a black family and the only nerd in exsidtin the awesome and funny Steve Urkle and he makes this show awesome and it is about awesome and other stuff that makes the people cheer and clap and a buch of other stuff and the effects of this show is so cool and i wish they had a ten season which could of been the best episode which would of had Nerdy Steve Urkle marring his long-time crush and who knows happen could of happen damn it I want to see that episode
  • Great from what I've seen so far

I've only seen a couple reruns on Nick at Nite, but from what I've seen it's an excellently written show. I like how many episodes revolve around the whole family, and they're lively mishaps. I do think Urkel is a little annoying, but he really doesn't destroy the show, just makes it more science-fictiony, like he invents a machine to be more like Stephan, so Laura will be more attracted to him. I didn't give this a higher score, because I haven't seen many episodes, and therefore don't know how the show ends up, so it may be higher or lower depending on how many I see. 8.5/10 B+
  • Funny

Family Matters is about the Winslow's family. Father and cop Carl. Mother and elevator operator Harriet. Grandmother and street smart Estelle, 15 year old Eddie, 13 year old Laura and 9 year old Judy. Also a part of the house hold is Harriet's sister and writer Rachel Crawford, and Rachel's baby, Richie. Next door to them lives nerdy, clumsy and genius Steve Urkel. In the second season things change, Rachel builds her own resturant, Richie grows into a three year old, and Urkel becomes a main cast member. Steve provides most of the comic releif in the series, mostly by tripping, breaking things, and revealing his affections for Laura.
  • STEVE! Got to love him baby.

How can anyone not like this show? Steve, everyone knows him. One of the funniest characters ever on TV. He did a great job in all episodes. Yes it did get a bit repeatative but still funny. His love for the girl next door never gave up til the end of time. He married her good for her and him. This was a great show and i hope that everyone feels the same way as i do. Take the tiem and watch this show. I hope it makes its way out on DVd so i can start another collection of TV series.
  • While the show is entertaining, there are several problems with it.

I've always been a huge Jaleel White fan and find him adorable, but this show quickly became way beneath him. He totally made the show, and if that made the other actors or other viewers mad, so be it. White deserved so much better as as actor! The character of "Urkel" was cute and endearing when White was little, but it should have been let go when he hit puberty. I'm glad they brought in the character of Stefan Urquelle, because at least the viewers were able to see White for the dignified young man and actor that he blossomed into. Even the thug character of OGD demonstrated White's tremendously diverse acting talent in a way that the post-puberty Urkel did not, because OGD was at least a masculine character, albeit rough and uncouth.

Family Matters really overdid it with the physical comedy and the slapstick. A sitcom is supposed to invigorate the viewer, but it really drains me, just because it's so noisy and slapsticky.

Another thing that is grating about FM is the agnonizingly sadistic and chronic male-bashing, with the men coming back for more pain all in the name of sexual equality. While I can appreciate the accentuation of the intelligence and personal success of characters Harriet and Laura, they were always "smarter" than Carl and Steve. They always won. And Steve was a multilingual scientific genius! I'm not saying that womens' characters need to be weak like Edith Bunker (equally degrading) but would it have hurt to show Carl giving Harriet advice for once instead of it constantly being the other way around? Carl and Steve's characters were certainly humble enough that it wouldn't have hurt to give a little more humility to the characters of Harriet and Laura. It ticked me off that in order for Steve to get a smidgin of kindness from Laura, he had to make her cry with a sentimental monologue in an early marriage school project episode. Talk about crocodile tears! I think another reason I was both thrilled and relieved by the Urquelle character, was it showed a man on T.V. being respected by a woman for once - especially on a show that jumped on the "Family Values" bandwagon. Sorry, pompous and self-righteous matriarchy isn't anymore of a "family value" than patriarchal tyranny is.

• Uh.. did I do that!?

Family Matters was a sitcom based on a middle class African-American family living in Chicago that ran from 1989 to 1998 on ABC and later on CBS. The show, which was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers, originally focused on the character of Harriet Winslow and her family: husband Carl Winslow, a police officer; rebel son Eddie Winslow; smart daughter Laura Winslow; and youngest child Judy Winslow. They had opened their home to Harriet's sister Rachel Crawford and her son Richie Crawford, as well as Carl's streetwise mother Estelle Winslow.

Steve Urkel (played by Jaleel White), was the most famous character on the show. Introduced midway through the first season, the bespectacled Urkel, complete with high-pitched voice and suspenders, was the ultimate nerd; he was highly intelligent but was very clumsy. His trademark line, "Did I do that?" (whenever he caused an accident) became a catchphrase imitated across the United States.

Originally intended to be a one time only character, White's portrayal of Urkel was so enthusiastically received, that he became a permanent part of the cast; in fact, several scripts had to be hastily rewritten to include Urkel, while new opening gags were added on already completed shows.
  • great show

about a family residing in chicago with an annoying neighbor who is always chasing after the daughter(Laura) and having constant accidents causing him to tear up the winslow household. A great comedy, but it lost points because of the ending. It was so predicatable and everybody knew that Laura would end up with steve. I think it could've ended up different, but overall it's a classic show.
  • Urkel!

family matters was one of the great sitcoms of the 90s I watched it as a child with my family every weke when it came on the best aspect is of course, Urkel! This family comedy is so funny. I have some episodes on my iPod and I watch the earlier eps all the time but i dont rally watch the old ones closer to the end alot because i like the earlier ones that much but they are still pretty darn good all of them are good i love this show and its brand of comedy. Yay Urkel! Rules! hj
  • steve urkel lol

Everything was going along just fine until one day, Steve Urkel, the inventive nerd, barged into their home and eventually, into their hearts. Steve had a killer crush on Laura, but she would never give him the time of day. Steve Urkel was intended to be a one-shot appearance, but his popularity with the fans won him the number-one spot as America's favorite nerd. i like this show soo much. i remember how steve urkel always used to annoy that guy that was a cop and how he was always trying to hit on laura but she always resisted him. my 2 fav episodes are the one where he could read minds and the one where that place was gonna blow up if that cop stopped jogging i dont rmemeber much from this show but i do remember steve urkel and i do remeber it was one of my favortie old skool shows from bak in da day.
< 1 2 3 4