Family Matters

ABC (ended 1998)

iron163

Family Matters Fan Reviews (108)

• Annoying

This is the most annoying and aggravating show to have ever disgraced TV! With all the annoying things that that idiot says, "Did I do that?" and "Morning Winslows!", he's voice makes me want to kill myself! How it ever managed to be somewhat popular, I don't know, but it has a stupid plot, with stupid people. The show might be half-way decent if it didn't have that annoyance, Steve Urkel! So, like I said, worst show ever!I'm glad it's not on the air anymore, to bad it's on Nick at Nite, but it's good that it's only on at like 4 AM!
  • It seems like this family doesn't matter...in other words AVOID

How did this show last for 9 seasons is beyond me. This has to be one of the worst sitcoms that I have seen throughout my 15 years on Earth. There was hardly a thing funny about this show. It was just the typical Miller-Boyett dreck.

For starters, this show is called "Family Matters" not "The Steve Urkel Show". The title of this show is misleading because the show mainly focused on Urkel and not the family. I will admit that the earlier episodes did focus on the family, but once Urkel showed up, he ruined the whole show. Later seasons were completely unwatchable as these episodes focused on Urkel and his sub characters (Stephan, Original Gangsta Dawg) etc. Characters disappeared without explaination such as Judy. In fact, her character didn't really do much in the show.

Like Full House and other TGIF drivel, this show was filled with corny morals and sappy moments. Where is the comedy in that? The plots were ridiculous, even for a sitcom. Urkel's weird inventions would send the family off into space, to Paris etc. What is funny about that? Nothing.

This show is great for kids 12 and under, but if you want a show that is actually funny, I suggest that you avoid this show at all costs.
  • Not that good. They might as well have called it 'Urkel'.. Because I was watching it on COMCAST and it said "A modern Chicago family is bothered by their neighbor, Steve Urkel". The show isn't that good, but it had his funny parts. SOMETIMES. Turn off the

3.2
    Not that good. They might as well have called it 'Urkel'.. Because I was watching it on COMCAST and it said "A modern Chicago family is bothered by their neighbor, Steve Urkel". The show isn't that good, but it had his funny parts. SOMETIMES. Turn off the TV, Puh Lease!
  • No...more....Urkel. He completely took over the show and by the end of the series' WAY overdone run on TV his character was a complete farce.

1.8
    I suppose with all the bland characters on this show, it's only to be expected that Steve Urkel would eventually take over the show. But did they really need to turn to all the completely lame and pathetic scientific crap to keep the show fresh? By scientific, I mean the machine in Urkel's basement that turned him into the ultra-suave Stephon Urquell. Of course, he used this alter ego to swoon Laura, the woman of his dreams. However, for a show that was supposed to be about good old family values and a family trying to make it by in the 'hood of south Chicago, this seems a little far fetched. It isn't the freaking Jetsons or Lost in Space!

That aside, the show wasn't very funny at all. Every good sitcom has at least one character who is in the spotlight and is usually the center of most of the hijinks. This show didn't have that for me, as I found Urkel to be extremely grating and one dimensional. His signature "Did I do that?" got old after one season, but he was never given anything else to work with.

In summation, I don't recommend this show and I don't think it's any small wonder why it is hardly shown in syndication anymore.
  • Urkel is what glues this show together.

Okay... so this isn\'t my favorite show, but it\'s good when there\'s nothing else on TV.

Steve Urkel is what glues this show together, for without him, the show would be quite unfunny, excluding the Carl\'s mother who is also really funny.

All in all... this a pretty good show, but not the greatest ever seen on ABC\'s TGIF lineup.
  • give her the shoes

I've been trying to watch this episode but cant find it online. I just remember the final moments of the show when you hear gunshots and the camera turns to a cops style shooting with it shaking and following the action to make it more intense and it cuts over to either laura or urkel cradeling their fallen friend screaming "why didnt you just give them the shoes.!" so corny,looking back its probably pretty funny I have to find it

then fredie prinz jr. refuses to give up his gun at the gun drive.
  • This show was great the first four seasons, about a husband and wife, their 3 kids, the mom's sister and nephew, and the dad's mother. But after the fourth season, 1 of their kids (Judy) dissapear and so does the mom's sister (Rachel) abbondoning her son

This show was great, with a pesky genius living next door, Steve Urkel who had a cruch on the daughter Laura. Then we were introduced to their son Eddie's friend Waldo Faldo, who isn't exactly Einstien. Then their younger daugter Judy, along with Harriette's (the mother) sister Rachel dissapear, abbandoning her son Richie. Rachel did make some other appearances, but not many. Then Waldo leaves, the grandmother and Richie dissapears in the final season. I loved this show until the fifth season, then it make's no sense. But I really like the first four seasons, it's very funny. Watch it!
  • Family Matters is Secretly One of the Best Shows of the 90s

7.4
    You can lie all you want about not liking Urkel and saying that the characters were cheesy and that you couldn't stand the theme song and everything else about it, but whenever Urkel would either knock something down or cause someone to throw food, you couldn't be in a happier place. Urkel is one of the most original characters in the history of television and was the first true nerd. You can say what you want about the guy from Welcome Back, Kotter, but Urkel set the bar for incredibly nerdy kids. He is like the Rosa Parks of losers. This and Whose Line is it Anyway are the two funniest shows that ABC has had in the last 15 years. So watch it on ABC Family, you know you want to. If your friends mock you, just talk to a child of the 90s. We all truly loved that show.
  • wow

Jaleel White bought a special character to this show. His character wasn't intended to be in all the episodes as the star. His character was only supposed to be a guest star. The director and producer liked his character so much that they decided to put him in the show as the star. The show is rated 8.7 and shouldn't change. The show was not as good as The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air but also wasn't as bad as the Jerry Springer Show. The cast brought new stars on the show in almost every episode. Throughout the show, they only needed to change one cast member. That member is Jo Marie Payton to Judyann Elder that played the mother as Harriette Winslow.
  • Fun show until it became the Steve Urkel Science Hour

One of the staples of any kid in the 90s after school TV watching diet. It was a decent, but tame family show that became more interesting and more popular when Steve Urkel came aboard. Unfortunately, the show increasingly focused on the exploits of Steve and the show started going downhill fast.

Steve Urkel is just like alcohol and religion. They're best in small doses, for small moments where you can appreciate what they have to offer. That's where Steve worked best. Sometimes a lot can be fun and even liberating, and some Steve-centric episodes were hilarious. But too much for too long can turn a good thing into a disease. Steve Urkel was a disease during that final few years. Shows started focusing on his love life, how he could magically turn into different characters by hopping into a machine, and culminating in a ridicluous final episode where he went to the moon. I wish he stayed.
  • I loved the first season, sans Urkel!

7.8
    TGIF(Thank Goodness for Family Matters). This was a perfectly normal, funny family show that had no problems until the annoying next door neighbor was introduced. Every season, he took over the show more and more until the other actors were mere background noise. This show REALLY jumped the shark after Harriett the first was dumped from the show. The second wife was terrible as the mother. I remember turning to the show one day and seeing her and thinking she was a guest or a relative of the family. The family togetherness of the Winslow's was heart-warming at first, but eventually, the outlandish '2-Urkel' sketches and watered down storylines brought the show down. And why, oh why, did they have Laura end up with that nerd? That was the last nail in the coffin.
  • this show is funny

family matters is funny.the first time i saw it is when it first came on nick at nite.this show is real funny.steves inventions that destroy carls house are funny and my favorite moment is when he destroys carls attic in the garage.this show is a funny classic tv show.waldo is funny in the one episode when they go in a bar.carl and steve are the funny characters in this show.steve cant even sing,but its really funny.this show is one of the shows funnier than home improvement.now its seen at nick at nite and its really funny like drake and josh.
  • It's not called Urkel

Many people refer to this as "The Urkel Show" but he didn't even show up until halfway through season 1. The show wasn't all that great until he showed up and I don't think it would have lasted more than a season or two without him. It got a little ridiculous when his clone actually became a separate character though. And the show broke one of my own cardinal rules. DO not "forget" characters. Daughter Judy simply disappeared and was never mentioned again. THis has been done many times on other shows like Happy Days, Life With Bonnie and Step By Step. It is infuriating. Just because producers decide to forget characters doesn't mean that we the viewers will! Sure, in this case Judy wasn't a major character but at least say she got a scholarship to a performing arts school or something.
  • A tv series that did not make sense at first , byt cleared up towqards the end. Waldo wa the funnuest.

A show abouta family constantly bugged by the next door nieghbour steve urkel. The guy honetsly loved laura, he worshipped the ground that she walked on eveyday of his life. He did a good job doing it too, he managed to change his voice for a whole 9 years and thats impressive. Waldo was one of the stupidest poeple, but funniest person, i have ever SEEN ON TV. He never dissappionted wiht his stupid remarks about everything and everyone. Carl was funny when steve pissed him off eevryday, when he flipped out constantly on steve, the series was ok, but not rememorable.
  • A 90s show about and African American family living in Chicago.

The Winslows are the main family portrayed in this series. It is a family show and comedy that is appreciable by a wide viewer audience.

The Winslow family is diverse with many children, two adults, and a grandmother. This is a nice family structure and continues for a long time.

The character development throughout their entire run is very interesting, especially the never ending harassment by Steve, who played a vital role in stirring cheezy comedy.

Through the shows many turns, there are many valuable lessons portrayed and a certain reality that most shows don't capture for a family audience. Its captivating and different from normal meaningless fun created in many other shows during the time.

This show is great for anyone with a good eye for shows in the 1990's.
  • one of the best shows ever

this is one of the best shows ever back in the 90s and its about a black family and the only nerd in exsidtin the awesome and funny Steve Urkle and he makes this show awesome and it is about awesome and other stuff that makes the people cheer and clap and a buch of other stuff and the effects of this show is so cool and i wish they had a ten season which could of been the best episode which would of had Nerdy Steve Urkle marring his long-time crush and who knows happen could of happen damn it I want to see that episode
  • Funny

Family Matters is about the Winslow's family. Father and cop Carl. Mother and elevator operator Harriet. Grandmother and street smart Estelle, 15 year old Eddie, 13 year old Laura and 9 year old Judy. Also a part of the house hold is Harriet's sister and writer Rachel Crawford, and Rachel's baby, Richie. Next door to them lives nerdy, clumsy and genius Steve Urkel. In the second season things change, Rachel builds her own resturant, Richie grows into a three year old, and Urkel becomes a main cast member. Steve provides most of the comic releif in the series, mostly by tripping, breaking things, and revealing his affections for Laura.
  • STEVE! Got to love him baby.

How can anyone not like this show? Steve, everyone knows him. One of the funniest characters ever on TV. He did a great job in all episodes. Yes it did get a bit repeatative but still funny. His love for the girl next door never gave up til the end of time. He married her good for her and him. This was a great show and i hope that everyone feels the same way as i do. Take the tiem and watch this show. I hope it makes its way out on DVd so i can start another collection of TV series.
  • While the show is entertaining, there are several problems with it.

I've always been a huge Jaleel White fan and find him adorable, but this show quickly became way beneath him. He totally made the show, and if that made the other actors or other viewers mad, so be it. White deserved so much better as as actor! The character of "Urkel" was cute and endearing when White was little, but it should have been let go when he hit puberty. I'm glad they brought in the character of Stefan Urquelle, because at least the viewers were able to see White for the dignified young man and actor that he blossomed into. Even the thug character of OGD demonstrated White's tremendously diverse acting talent in a way that the post-puberty Urkel did not, because OGD was at least a masculine character, albeit rough and uncouth.

Family Matters really overdid it with the physical comedy and the slapstick. A sitcom is supposed to invigorate the viewer, but it really drains me, just because it's so noisy and slapsticky.

Another thing that is grating about FM is the agnonizingly sadistic and chronic male-bashing, with the men coming back for more pain all in the name of sexual equality. While I can appreciate the accentuation of the intelligence and personal success of characters Harriet and Laura, they were always "smarter" than Carl and Steve. They always won. And Steve was a multilingual scientific genius! I'm not saying that womens' characters need to be weak like Edith Bunker (equally degrading) but would it have hurt to show Carl giving Harriet advice for once instead of it constantly being the other way around? Carl and Steve's characters were certainly humble enough that it wouldn't have hurt to give a little more humility to the characters of Harriet and Laura. It ticked me off that in order for Steve to get a smidgin of kindness from Laura, he had to make her cry with a sentimental monologue in an early marriage school project episode. Talk about crocodile tears! I think another reason I was both thrilled and relieved by the Urquelle character, was it showed a man on T.V. being respected by a woman for once - especially on a show that jumped on the "Family Values" bandwagon. Sorry, pompous and self-righteous matriarchy isn't anymore of a "family value" than patriarchal tyranny is.

• Uh.. did I do that!?

Family Matters was a sitcom based on a middle class African-American family living in Chicago that ran from 1989 to 1998 on ABC and later on CBS. The show, which was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers, originally focused on the character of Harriet Winslow and her family: husband Carl Winslow, a police officer; rebel son Eddie Winslow; smart daughter Laura Winslow; and youngest child Judy Winslow. They had opened their home to Harriet's sister Rachel Crawford and her son Richie Crawford, as well as Carl's streetwise mother Estelle Winslow.

Steve Urkel (played by Jaleel White), was the most famous character on the show. Introduced midway through the first season, the bespectacled Urkel, complete with high-pitched voice and suspenders, was the ultimate nerd; he was highly intelligent but was very clumsy. His trademark line, "Did I do that?" (whenever he caused an accident) became a catchphrase imitated across the United States.

Originally intended to be a one time only character, White's portrayal of Urkel was so enthusiastically received, that he became a permanent part of the cast; in fact, several scripts had to be hastily rewritten to include Urkel, while new opening gags were added on already completed shows.
  • great show

about a family residing in chicago with an annoying neighbor who is always chasing after the daughter(Laura) and having constant accidents causing him to tear up the winslow household. A great comedy, but it lost points because of the ending. It was so predicatable and everybody knew that Laura would end up with steve. I think it could've ended up different, but overall it's a classic show.
  • Urkel!

family matters was one of the great sitcoms of the 90s I watched it as a child with my family every weke when it came on the best aspect is of course, Urkel! This family comedy is so funny. I have some episodes on my iPod and I watch the earlier eps all the time but i dont rally watch the old ones closer to the end alot because i like the earlier ones that much but they are still pretty darn good all of them are good i love this show and its brand of comedy. Yay Urkel! Rules! hj
  • steve urkel lol

Everything was going along just fine until one day, Steve Urkel, the inventive nerd, barged into their home and eventually, into their hearts. Steve had a killer crush on Laura, but she would never give him the time of day. Steve Urkel was intended to be a one-shot appearance, but his popularity with the fans won him the number-one spot as America's favorite nerd. i like this show soo much. i remember how steve urkel always used to annoy that guy that was a cop and how he was always trying to hit on laura but she always resisted him. my 2 fav episodes are the one where he could read minds and the one where that place was gonna blow up if that cop stopped jogging i dont rmemeber much from this show but i do remember steve urkel and i do remeber it was one of my favortie old skool shows from bak in da day.
  • Though it had a slow start, it finished strong, with the main focus of the show shifting from the Winslow family to Steve Urkel and his exploits with the Winslow family.

Jaleel White (aka Steve Urkel) made this show what it became. Before he made his entrance as Laura's potential first date, the show was very shaky to say the least. (The opening credits had Eddie bagging groceries, yet there was no mention of him having a job.) Steve Urkel entered through the door, and the premise of the show changed. (They even axed Judy from the cast/family.) Rachel would later go as well, but the show's ratings shot up as the storylines centered around Steve, from his inventions (the Urkel chamber, etc.) to his pestering the Winslow family and his pursuit of the "girl of his dreams", Laura Winslow. As the series goes on, the viewer hears of Steve's parents, but they never see them at any of the special events in his life, thus making the Winslows his "family". One feels sorry for poor Steve, the girl he likes more than anyone detests him, his parents are never there for him,(his bedroom is in his basement) and the only friends he has, the Winslow family, prefer not to be. Later in the show's run, all of that becomes the opposite, as he moves into the Winslow home, wins Laura's heart from Steffan Urquelle (the cooler version of Steve Urkel) and his parents move to Russia.
  • I wouldn't say this show was before its time but it should have had more time and more seasons because when they ended it, it was just getting good in the season and in a couple of years. The family really showed how some families work but not most.

Great show and needs to come back. This show was one of the best shows ever for families. The show should have had more seasons and had more famous people to come on. Right when it was ended it was just getting good. They should bring it back or create a spin off with Steve and Laura some years later.
  • One of the 90`s best shows ever

I ally love this show. It has the softness of Full House but also seems to show the dysfunctional part of the life in a family more clearly. The characters are memorable and the jokes are enough to make me laugh hard. If you never seen this show before, then watch it cause it`s worth it.
  • Family Matters was one of the best shows to run through the nineties.

The good thing about Family Matters is that it wasn't as cheesy as some of the other nineties sitcoms such as Full House and Saved by the Bell, mostly in the middle of the show. Towards the end of the show, it did begin to get somewhat unrealistic and corny. Like many fans of this show, I think Steve Urkel was hilarious, especially with that nasally voice he had. But my favorite character was probably Waldo just because of his lack of common sense; both of them always made me laugh. I always laugh at the cracks that Steve made about his parents hating him and treating him like Steve ruined their lives. I felt bad for Steve, but I must admit that they were hilarious. Jaleel White did a fantastic job playing Steve, and all the other ones he had to play: Myrtle, Stefan, and so on. Don't get me wrong. I thought the other characters were entertaining, and funny, except for Judy 3-J; honestly I was disappointed that they got rid of Judy, and I was always annoyed by 3J who I thought was just a pointless add on. I wish they had kept Waldo instead of him. My only complaints with Family Matters is that as the show progressed, it began to get a little unrealistic, especially in the end, and I hated how Stefan became almost a regular for Family Matters. But other than that, Family Matters is nearly perfect.
  • such a classic and hilsrious show that was on for 9 to 10 years.

i think the show family matters was hilrious it was about the windslows and there children and there famous next store neibor stevie ericle that would say the famous line did i do that . but anyway the show was great it had alot good moments with him turning into bruce lee and other things but its like any other family show it has there family moments were the parents give adivce to ther children and stuff and they comegether . i remember one ep were earcle ruined the garage and drove the car through and the dad fell of the roof such a good ep. the show was great .
  • One of the classic TGIF shows

Family Matters is a show that anyone can watch. Parents and children can watch it together without getting embarrassed. They don't make shows like this anymore.
    The show is entertaining. It's funny and well-written. We have a wide range of characters and they all work together to make a great show. No character feels out of place at any time.
    This show does a great job of showcasing the parents and the children. It's about everyone, not just children, not just adults. We have plotlines revolving around Carl, Harriette, Rachel, Laura, Eddie, Steve...everyone. It's not "We have children, but forget about them, it's about me." And it's not "I have parents, but they're not important so let's ditch them." It's "We're a family and here are our problems, here are our good times. Here's every member of our family and our friends." That's what makes it a good show.
  • A great sitcom for any age. It was great, because it wasn't you're typical family sitcom, like Full House, and Empty Nest, it brought a new angle to the picture. This is one series that will remain my favorite all the way.

Fmaily Matters was a great show, it could have lasted a lot longer. The show knew it was in trouble without Steve Urkel, that's why they put him in there as a regular, without him, I doubt the series would have lasted past season 2, they could have left the youngest daughter in there, she was good. The one that played Rachel wanted to do other things, unfortuneatly they didn't work out. Season 9 was the worst year for Family Matters, the original Harriette left the show for other things she wanted to do. And, who's decision was it to have it move to CBS, CBS killed it, they kept bouncing the show around the Friday time slot, same with Step By Step, the ratings fell fast cause people weren't used to it being on CBS, and they kept moving F.M. around the primetime schedule, how do you expect a show to survive, if you don't know when it's coming on next? The two factors that killed the show were the switching of times from week to week and a different Harriette.
< 1 2 3 4