Family Matters

ABC (ended 1998)

Tubelubber

Family Matters Fan Reviews (109)

• Steve Urkel is hilarious.

I just saw one of the episodes on Nick @ Nite and I thought it was funny! One of my favorite characters from the show is Steve Urkel. One of his funniest catchphrases is "Did I do that?", and calling Carl Winslow "Big Guy". This is one of the greatest sitcoms in the 1980s next to "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". It was a shame that it had been cancelled in the late 1990s, but at least we still see the reruns on Nick @ Nite. Like I said, "Family Matters" is one of the most funniest sitcoms of all time!
  • i love it

Family Matters is an Image Award & Emmy Award-winning American sitcom about a middle-class African American family living in Chicago. The series aired from September 22, 1989 to May 9, 1997 on ABC and, with a network change, moved to CBS on September 19, 1997 to July 17, 1998.
    The show, a spinoff of Perfect Strangers, originally focused on the character of Carl Winslow and his family: wife Harriette Winslow, rebellious son Eddie Winslow, smart daughter Laura Winslow, and youngest child Judy Winslow. They had opened their home to Carl's street-wise mother Estelle Winslow as well as Harriette's sister Rachel Crawford and her son Richie Crawford after the death of Rachel's husband. The Winslows' nerdy next-door neighbor Steve Urkel was introduced midway through the first season, and quickly became the focus of the show. It was part of ABC's TGIF from 1989 until 1997 before it became part of the CBS Block Party lineup from 1997 to 1998. The Winslow family is a pretty normal family except for one thing, their neighbor Stephen Urkel. A genius and klutz Steve makes some really weird inventions while driving the Winslow's insane.
  • Barely started watching it on late June 2008.

I never knew about this until it was being shown on NICK. My brother & sister watched this before I did..just like That 70's Show. but anyways, this show is hilarious. Though Nick@Nite made a mistake by showing the Episodes out of order & showing some ad at the credits even though something about the episode is being shown during the credits. I enjoy watching this episode alot. It would be my Top 5 Favorite "real life[not reality]" show. Can't wait until the Show heats up around the last 4 Seasons. But for some reason Nick has never shown the Myrtle Urkel or Stefan Episodes yet, & I really want to see it but overall a great & funny show.
  • Steve,Laura,Eddie,Carl,Harriet,Richie,Rachel,Maxine,Waldo and late season 8 addition 3J made this show a hit.

This show was/is amazing. Every episode from episode 1 all the way to episode 214/215 \"Lost In Space\" are hilarious. With the addition of the \"nerd\" steve urkel, Family matters became the longest running black show in history. This show is also, in my opinion, one of the funniest shows of all time.
  • This show is about the Winslows, a typical American family, with the classic American nerd living next door, Stee Urkel. Steve is madly in love with the daughter, Laura, but she doesn't accept him. Steve also manages to push the rest of the family over th

This in one of the best shows ever in the history of ABC, CBS, and the whole TV industry! Basically this is the whole outline of the show, other than what my summary said. This show is about the Winslows, a typical American family. There is Carl, the husband, father, and cop, Hariette, the wife and mother of the family, Eddie, the "bad" son, Laura, the daughter and Urkel's love intrest, Ritchie, Rachel's son, 3J, the adopted son from the children's center, Rachel, th aunt and writer, Mother Winslow, the streetwise mother of Carl, and, last but not least, Steve Urkel, the lovable nerd that lives next door who always manages to get on everyone's nerves. He has done many things, from making "Stevil", his killer dummy, to shrinking himself and Carl, to making himself into Stefan Urquelle with his "transmogrifier" (that's not what it's callled, I made the name up) who became Laura's love intrest. After the Urkel's moved to Russia, the Winslows adopted Steve so that he wouldn't have to go. After years of being pushed away by Laura, she finally started to like him since he chaged his "image". But, before they could get married, CBS cut off the show, so we must leave it to our imagination.
  • Puts a smile on face every time.

This show is very funny in my opinion and I think it can get a little out of control but makes me smile still. But in my opinion I think Steve is the best character in the show, he really made the episodes very interesting ( despite the fact that he can get annoying from time to time.) But the other characters are very enjoyable and are like able, and can make people laugh as well. With all of that being said this show is a great sitcom and is most definitely worth a shot and will entertain you.
  • Family Matters is hilarious with great acting, funny jokes, and loads of wonderful characters. Steve Urkel and Waldo are absolutely hilarious.

It only takes a few episodes for you to get hooked, and it's because of fabulous comedy you're left with wanting more and more. Steve Urkel is probably what makes this show as funny as it is. All the times that he falls, screws up, or tries to get himself out of a jam will leave you on the floor laughing. Probably my favorite quote he constantly says is, "Look what you did." Along with Steve as the most hilarious one on the show, so is Waldo. Just about every comedy has an idiot and you can automatically point to Waldo on this one. But he's hilarious. There's so many quotes he says that make me laugh, that I can't name they all. The acting on this show, mostly for Jaleel White, does a wonderful job. Family Matters is one of the best shows to run in the nineties.
  • A very good show.

I wish television shows were like this today. I do have to say I miss the 90's. But I won't dwell on the past. I think that Family Matters was a really good show. I also thought that it had some funny bits over the years that it was on the air. All of the characters were good and I really found them to be very entertaining. My favorite character had to be Steve Urkel. I have to saythat his character is a t.v. icon. It was a very original character and was hilarious without even trying to be. It was a good time. Thank you.
  • The Winslow family is a pretty normal family except for one thing, their neighbor Stephen Urkel. A genius and klutz Steve makes some really weird inventions while driving the Winslow\'s insane.

I watched this show for a long time, I watched in reruns and when it was on TGIF, that ABC Friday lineup (Thank God it\'s Friday) The truth be known this show would be absolutely nothing without Steve Urkel. The show was essentially a typical sitcom of the eighties that was goody two shoes and nothing ever really bad happened. In a way it remained that way even after the show but Steve Urkel made it so much funnier.
  • THis show is so funny and old but it is a very great show.

In the show there are your typical average family until there neighbor Stever Urkel comes along and ruins all of there days but he deson't mean to. The show is very funny and the setting is really good. Steve is also so funny and he makes the show very popular. I think it was the 3rd season the badest part start to happen because most of the actors started to leave because it was all about Steve and they left then the show started to fall apart. This show gets a 9.4 from me the show is hilarious but it just fell apart.
  • A good show

I'm glad they brought this show to Nick at Nite. I used to watch it on ABC family all the time. Family Matters is a nice show filled with both comedy and appropriate family and life lessons. It has the humor of Urkel and the other characters feuding with him to make it interesting, but it also balances with the important life lessons facing families today. In that way, it doesn't come off as too crude or sappy. Sometimes the lessons are rushed too quickly, though, as if it was suddenly easy for the character to finally realize his/her mistake after a lecture. Although a little rushed, I like this show more than Full House. It will always be one of my favorites.
  • Great from what I've seen so far

I've only seen a couple reruns on Nick at Nite, but from what I've seen it's an excellently written show. I like how many episodes revolve around the whole family, and they're lively mishaps. I do think Urkel is a little annoying, but he really doesn't destroy the show, just makes it more science-fictiony, like he invents a machine to be more like Stephan, so Laura will be more attracted to him. I didn't give this a higher score, because I haven't seen many episodes, and therefore don't know how the show ends up, so it may be higher or lower depending on how many I see. 8.5/10 B+
  • It was a great funny show until...

Family Matters is a funny, funny great show that had real life issues such as racism, or about telling the truth and such. I love Steve Urkel he's my personal favorite on the show after awhile he's the main reason people watch the show but during the last couple of seasons this show got really really idiotic and unbelievable that's why I believe it was canceled. Come on a machine that turns Urkel into two people? How believable is that? Not very! The Cosby Show and other shows were around for a long time because of them being believable. Thanks Spiederman
  • Good

This show was decent, but like most people, I find the last few seasons to be really... out there and sometimes hard to watch. I mean I liked all the characters, including Urkel, but the show changed. Plots would be too out-there and it wasn't really something kids would get. The show still focused on the family but not nearly as much as the earlier seasons. But I don't think Urkel killed the series entirely, as some do. I just think he, his character, made it science fictiony.

So, my overall grade for this show is about a C+/B-. Good in some places, not so good in others
  • Great show

This was one of my favorite sitcoms for so many reasons, it had great characters and great personality. I liked every season of this show, even the more recent ones, sure it focused more on Urkel, but so what, he's a fun character.
  • Great Show And Urkel Takes Up Alot Of The Show (It's A Good Thing)

great show it's like urkel takes up the whole show here it's weird he's like the all time best supporting (well not really) and thats the show that made him famous i haven't watched a lot of the show yet i love the other charcters in it too so i give it 9.9 for the rating also that it's on really late at nite so it is hard to watch it all the time but thank you i have comcast since i can record it all that i want so i can watch it anytime it's a really good show!
  • This is one of the best shows ever!

Another awesome olden days sitcom that is glimmering with comedy, characters, and storyline gold. This show is one of the best and most classic sitcoms ever! It truly hit fame and fortune and is a very popular show that is quite famous, for having great and funny chracters like Steve Urkel! In fact, I found out by looking at some profiles and one of them (who is a member here) was on level 85, which said Urkel. So that means You can even be a level that represents Steve Urkel on this site! The level number is 85. Well this show is awesome too! The characters are very memorable and know good comedy! This is another Nick at Nite show that I always will enjoy watching in my spare time. Only one other show is about as equally awesome and has as good comedy as this, and that I think is The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. This show is one of the reasons to watch Nick at nighttime. (Nick at Nite.) It usually starts at 9 at night. I think its 10 on Friday and Saturday nights. Well hey this show is very cool and has golden plots, storylines, and characters. Family Matters is a cool and funny show. I like the whole family, I like Steve Urkel, and I also definitely love to see the dad and his daughter! His daughter is actually pretty hot! Now for favorite epsiodes, I like the one where the dad becomes a Lt. and I also like the one where they turn into karate masters due to the help of one of Steve Urkel's great inventions! They defeat a bad Chicago gang known as the Satan's Snakes or something like that. That episode was so exciting! Reruns are awesome! This review is done.
  • The Time Machine is the best invention ever!

For an old 90's classic, this has got to be the best series ever! I love how the role play is... everyone really embraces their characters. From the drama, the comedy, to the dual identity of Urkel, this is a great show for families to watch and if you're ready for a laugh!
  • I love this show. Great humor and story line. I love Estelle and Waldo. They bring great humor!!

One thing I always have to ask myself is why didn't the Winslow's get a restraining order against Steve? That is the first thing I would do. It's hard to feel bad for Steve since he basically stalked Laura for a long time, but I am the type of person who doesn't find this type of humor funny and I do know the answer is "because it is a TV show." Anyway it's nice to see the story of Steve and Laura developed. The show did real well for developing the characters. Great Job. Has always been one of my favorites.
  • family matters was a spin-off of perfect strangers that shared the same "sitcom engine" as other miller-boyett shows such as full house and step by step. the show lasted 9 seasons, but only the first four were the only ones worth watching.

in the late 80's and early to mid 90s, ABC had built its own niche to thrive on what was the strongest ratings catcher and that was family sitcoms. by 1994, ABC had excellent family shows that i enjoyed watching growing up like Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters, and Boy Meets World. Family Matters was introduced in Septmeber 1989 that following Harriette Winslows family matters (get it?). Harriette was an elevator operator at the chronicle where mark linn baker's character in Perfect Strangers worked at. Season 1 basically consisted on what the whole sitcom was supposed to focus on (it shows in the series 2nd episode) and that was family sticking together through the thick and thin. and then episode 16 rolled in....the world premiere of Steve Urkel.

Steve Urkel was a nerd that had a big crush on Laura, the eldest daughter. during season 1 urkel popped in a little bit for a few episodes and go on his merry way. but unfortunately for some of the main characters, it would be that same thing that a minor character like Urkel would do that would demote characters like Judy Winslow, Richie Crawford, Rachel Crawford, and Mother Winslow from their main character title, to recurring role title.

Season 2 came with very subtle changes. it was like season 1 but with Urkel around full time. this is where things begin the beginning of the end for Judy Winslow. this season will allow very little air time for her as her character is slowly dying with very little room to grow as we as viewers have to make more room for Urkel. Now dont get me wrong, i dont mind Urkel at all. for the first 3 and a half seasons, hes acutally funny. but seeing as how ABC saw him as a ratings magnet, they scrwed everyone else on the show when it comes to their character plots, this including the whole reason for the show, Harriette Winslow.

Skipping Season 3 because its pretty much like the same as season 2, Season 4 is when you see the last bit of originality plot wise with the show. You can tell by the vibe of the show by season 4 that the angle of the show is changed. by this point, they should have changed the show to Urkel Matters. The show circa Season 4, now focuses more on the teens, eddie, laura, urkel and friends rather than the family matters themselves. they introduce a love interest for urkel, but not for Judy. Season 4 marks Judy Winslow's demise as she is written out of the show by season 5. Mother Winslow and Rachel are seen a lot less as well.

Seasons 5 through 8 lack any originality at all. when these episodes appear on TV now, i dont watch mainly because they are all exactly the same. each episode (especially during season 7) always starts out with the same general idea: how can Urkel piss of Carl this week? or what unbelievable project or invention did Urkel make this week? Just plain unoriginal, it was just tiresome and boring to watch.

Season 9, the final season oddly enough, had a different vibe about it. this was the first and only season aired originally on CBS. the 9th season had an ongoing plot through all of the episodes; Laura having feelings for Steve (finally). it is not until predictably towards the end of the series that Laura finally accepts Urkel's given marriage proposal. Knowing that the series was cancelled long before the series finale was to be written they could ahve had a better series finale for it. instead we (predictably) find Urkel in some kind of predicament. Urkel is in space to test out one of his inventions for gravity. he somehow ends of in the middle of space with his oxygen level depleting with no way to get back to the space carrier. he rigs the satellite to work as a rocket and makes it back to the space carrier. the series' last scene involves Steven coming back home with whats left of the original family. by this time, the original Harriette left the show for the same reason i stopped watching it after season 4, Rachel appeared only one time in season 9 and a few times from season 5-8, Richie was not even in the final episode. There was a rumor that there was to be a season 10 on the WB11 with the return of Judy Winslow, but i dont see how that would be seeing as how Family Matters plummeted over 70 spots in the ratings that year which is obviously why it was cancelled.

i cant say that i hated the show. i loved the first 3 and a half seasons of the show because it stuck to its roots. and all though Urkel was funny early in the series, he ruined the show later on. it would have been better off cancelled after the fourth season
  • One of the greatest shows in the world

My favorite characters on the show are: Urkel, Carl, Eddie, 3J, Waldo and Estelle. The show was really great (and funny) to be honest, but I wish they had end the series with Laura marrying Steve, but that's okay, things can't always be your way. I love the show so much, I wish I can still see it.
  • funny show!

Family Matters would definitely be classified as one of the best Family-oriented show! It wasn't sentimental or irritating like some of the other family shows aired in the television. How I wish this show didn't end because I think "Family Matters" is way better that any TGIF TV shows aired before! I really do miss watching it so much! It happens that one day I saw a web site selling it - memorylanedvd . com . I tried to purchase one because I've been looking for this DVD copy for a very long time. I was glad when I checked the discs, it was good. Neat packaging and nice quality. As I do not have much time to catch the re-runs, I will have to watch this show during the weekends. Family Matters is a show that gives simple fun to everyone, truly enjoyable!
  • This show was so good we did an intro remake

Intro Family matters remake

We loved it so much we made that remake of the intro

enjoy some other fun

Giant Spaghetti Boy

Crazy Salad Chef

BACON karating pizza with Fork Sensei

New Haircut same badass additude

• A typical 90s show about and African American family living in Chicago.

The Winslows are the main family portrayed in this series. It is a family show and comedy that is appreciable by a wide viewer audience.

The Winslow family is diverse with many children, two adults, and a grandmother. This is a nice family structure and continues for a long time.

The character development throughout their entire run is very interesting, especially the never ending harassment by Steve, who played a vital role in stirring cheezy comedy.

Through the shows many turns, there are many valuable lessons portrayed and a certain reality that most shows don't capture for a family audience. Its captivating and different from normal meaningless fun created in many other shows during the time.

Anyone who liked old shows must watch this.
  • One of my favorite shows from the nineties. I love Family Matters.

I hadn't even born when Family Matters began, and I was almost four by the time it ended. So obviously, I haven't been watching this show since I was born or since I was little. But I saw it a few years ago and I loved it. Only three episodes made me love it and now, I can't stop watching it. The acting on the show is very well done; they're all wonderful actors and actresses and do incredible jobs at their roles. Another thing I love on this show is the comedy; it is a hilarious series with jokes, mostly from Steve and Waldo, that leave me laughing for hours. There's been some episodes I'm not really fond of, but still there's always a joke in there that makes me burst out laughing at least once. The plots, just like the jokes, are original and good. The only things that ever really got on my nerves is Carl, who could be a little sexist, winy, and overly cheap sometimes. And the fact that this show got unrealistic towards the end. In addition, I also didn't like how they got rid of Waldo and added 3-J, who in my opinion, was not funny at all. But still I really like this show. I'm so pissed they haven't released this on DVD yet. Grade: A+.
  • The greatest show on television in my opion.

This show centers around the Winslow family.. and Steve Urkel! =D Okay, first the Winslow family. Carl Winslow is the "tad overweight" cop of the Windy City, Illinois and is married to Harriet Winslow. They have a son-the oldest-Eddie, or Edward. He's tall, athletic, like girls-lol-and is pretty funny. He's a great character, and unlike most shows, he comes to his father when he does something wrong, or something wrong happens to him.

Judy Winslow is their youngest daughter, and their youngest child. Judy rarely appeared in many episodes, and I never got used to her. She wasn't really my favorite character. Her parents convinced her to quit the show and she went on to do something else. Laura Winslow, middle child but oldest of the two daughters, is an attractive, sarcastic (like mother, like daughter, lol) and smart girl. Steve Urkel, played by Jaleel White-yep this is where he comes in-is attracted to Laura. He first appeared in an episode called "Laura's First Date", midway through the first season. He was only meant to be a recurring character but audiences everywhere loved Steve and he was then a regular.

Steve is a smart and brainy, and is the coolest nerd you'll ever find. =D He's attracted to Laura who a lot during the show, constantly rejected him. In a 1994 episode, he once said it has been over 900 rejections for Laura to go out with him. Lol. But then, fortunately for me, Laura started falling for Steve late, and soon got engaged but were never seen married. =( Myra, played by Michelle Thomas who died at age 28 of cancer, frequently tried to break up the couple 'cause, crazily, she was somehow extremly crazy for Steve from the very start. She constantly annoyed me, seriously.

That's all the main characters besides Mama Winslow-Estelle-Carl's mother who gets remarried in 1993 or 1994. She is a wise grandmother, but grandmothers are supposed to be wise, right? She is funny and a great part to the show. Waldo Geraldo Faldo, is the dumb but lovable friend of Eddie's. You could get by with him saying the blue stuff in the air is water and the moon is made out of cheese. =P That's it.

Peace.
  • this show focuses on the family of a cop and his wife and his three children

i loved this show back in the day and when i found out it would be on nick soon i was screaming so loud it woke up my dogs..lol..so i will definitely watch it..i used to watch it every sunday when it came on and i loved it..its so funny..carl tries to keep things together but obviously that doesnt happen most of the time and harriet is the more lenient parent..the kids are so kooky and crazy and it got even crazier when harriet's sister moved in..the kid added to the craziness..and the most loveable and dorky character was obviously erkel..and when he became stephan..oo whee
  • Ahh....Family Matters! A show that changed comedy forever!

I have loved this show for a long long time, even as a little kid. The jokes were hysterical and good enough to tickle one's own funny bone in a natural way rather than get people to laugh through the most vile methods known to man. Jaleel White will be forever remembered as Steve Urkel, America's favorite nerd. I sometimes even do a few impersonations every now and then like the laughing pig snort, the "Did I do that?" and many more! This is one show I can never get tired of, nor outgrow. I will try to watch this show whenever I can.
  • The Steve Urkel Show

Yes, they should have most definitely renamed Family Matters, The Steve Urkel Show. The other actors were OK, but it was really Jaleel White that made the show so excellent. I watched some episodes when this show first started off, in the first few seasons, and I couldn't help but notice how terribly bland it was, and most of the main actors and recurring were part of the original cast. But once they added actor Jaleel White to the show, it improved it very much for the good and for the sake of this show's ratings. The writers, producers, and directors were all very aware of how modest their ratings and how small thew viewer audience was, and they found the perfect solution to save their show, and they added him just in time too. You have to give them a lot of credit for that, and that is why I give this show a 10.
  • one of the best shows I ever watched

classic to the bone.One of the best comedy shows I ever watched.Hole family is funny but Steve Urkel is freaking funny
    one of the classical characters and one of the best besides Al Bundy.season 2 and 3 are the best and that freaking idiots from network stoped producing the series because the popularity was declining.They adleast should`ve had the decency to finish the show and not to stop it in the middle of the season
< 1 2 3 4