Family Matters

Surely You Joust

Aired Unknown Sep 18, 1992 on ABC

• Funny but weird.

This was an okay episode. Not great, but not bad either. I didn't like the storyline of Steve and Carl yet again having to settle their differences through some stupid gimmick. I thought the gimmick was funny and entertaining, but just silly and unreal. They went on a show with American Gladiators and fought one another. They ended up going one on one at the end. They came close, but decided that they should be friends. Overall, this was an okay episode with some decent comedy and some okay bits here and there. I was entertained and also very much interested. Thank you.
  • Everyone has pesky neighbors, but the way Carl and Steve handle their fued in this episode is pure sitcom genius.

Given that most of this episode revolves around Steve and Carl this review will mainly follow their troubles throughout the episode. Also given Steve's clumbsiness, we can assume that the problem was mainly Steve's fault. So there's a huge problem between the two men but no way to humanely solve the situation. The solution: American Gladiators.

American Gladiators was one of my favorite shows as a kid to watch on the weekend mornings and watching Steve and Carl duel it out on the American Gladiator stage brought a great sense of joy to my mind. Carls weight helped him overcome the jousting obstacle, with comedy, and Steve's 97-pound body was hilarious in escaping the rock wall.

The conclusion of the episode was very Family-Matters-esque. Ending with a tie, and no desire to continue with more challenges, both Steve and Carl made up, and became buddies again.

This episode, though not involving an entire cast, was abnormally funny, and very welcome. A great start to season four and hopes for much more!