Family Ties Forums

NBC (ended 1989)

Favorite Quote?

MalloryFan

[1]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 6
    What's your favorite quote(s)?

Here are some of my favorites:

Mallory: Alex, I told you. Whenever someone calls, write down who called, when they called and what it was about.
    Alex: I did. Someone stupid called, sometime today, about something trivial.
    Mallory: Alex, that could be any of my friends.

Skippy: Mallory, don't you see? When you pay attention to me, it shows me that you care.
    Mallory: Skippy, I do care...

Steven: There was a kangaroo in my livingroom.
    Alex: He was just here for the party Dad.
    Steven: Then I guess I'm overreacting.
    Mallory: Yeah, Dad, let us explain.
    Steven: Can you explain the flashing vacany sign in the drive way? The valley parking? The Billbord on Route 41?

Elyse: Like, just like, calm down, like ok?
    Steven: Elyse.
    Elyse: I'm sorry you go up to your room and you don't come down until you can apologize, in English.
    Jennifer: Ok.
    Elyse: And stop saying ok.

Mallory: When you're not around, I kind of miss you.
    Skippy: You do? See, I didn't know that.

Mallory: Alex's been reading my diary. I know because he's been using words and phrases I used in it.
    Alex: That's not true. Her accusations are totally bogus and grand to the max.
    Mallory: See? He doesn't talk like that.
    Ales: Look, I didn't read her diary. I simply went into her room to get a book.
    Mallory: Aha! What would a book be doing in my room?
    Alex: She's got me there.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lokar

[2]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 26

Alex: "Jeff was kissing the desk?"

-------

Steven: "The same thing he does everywhere...Cause misery and human suffering."

-------

Alex:  "Today, Dayton. Tomorrow, Cincinnati. Monday...back to school."

Edited on 06/01/2006 7:12am

Lokar

[3]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 26
    Alex:  Are you going to be mad at us forever?

Steven:  Yes...that is my plan.

secretkeeper81

[4]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    MalloryFan wrote:

Mallory: Alex, I told you. Whenever someone calls, write down who called, when they called and what it was about.

Yes that's definitely one of my faves too!!

OldFavorites

[5]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 1

Hi there.  First posting here.  Family Ties was definitly one of my favorite shows growing up.  I named my dog Alex.  Anyway, I have been trying to remember forever a conversation that Mallory has with Alex.  I think it was during the last year or even the last episode.  She was giving Alex advise on her basic guildline for her life.  I think one was "To live as happy as you can", and two was "Try not to hurt anyone in the process", and three was "To find somebody you love".  Not sure but if anyone can enlighten me I will appreciate.  Cheers.

Horselover1

[6]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 18
    secretkeeper81 wrote:
    MalloryFan wrote:

Yes that's definitely one of my faves too!!
    I love that one, too.

I also love the quotes from when Mallory is tutoring Nick in Engliah/grammar.

Nick: Well, what if you're dead? You aren't active if you are dead, unless you are a ghost or a vampire or something.

Mallory: I think there are special verbs for those.

Mallory: Alex, what are you doing?

Alex: Well, I'm not really doing anything, so I guess I'll need one of those special verbs, the kind you use for dead people.

I also like this conversation.

Steven: I don't like how he handled the Iran-Contra Affair.

Mallory: Bush had an affair?

Steven: It was more like a scandal.

Alex: C'mon dad, scandal is a loaded word.

Steven: You're right, the Iran-Contra Prank.

LOL

LujackLvr

[7]Apr 7, 2012
    • level: 1
    I also liked FAMILY TIES. I loved Justine Bateman, Meredith Baxter [Birney], Brian Bonsall, Michael J. Fox, Michael Gross, Tracy Pollan, Marc Price & Scott Valentine. The only ones I couldn't stomach were Courteney Cox [Lauren] & Tina Yothers [Jennifer, although I did think the "teaching Jennifer to drive in the kitchen" was really funny]. I loved how Steven & Elyse were devoted to each other all the way through the entire run of the show. I read Meredith Baxter's "Untied" memoir & while I was saddened by the events in her life, I was relieved to know that FAMILY TIES & her castmates were a healing sanctuary for her. I loved Mr & Mrs Keaton; even though, as a person born with a chronic condition, I have always been & will forever be grateful to my own parents as they have always been there for me & continue to be today. Sometimes I wished Mr & Mrs Keaton were my parents at times. [Other pseudo parents: BRADY BUNCH's Mike & Carol Brady; COSBY SHOW's Dr. Cliff & Clair Huxtable; HAPPY DAYS' Howard & Marion Cunningham; LITTLE HOUSE's Charles & Caroline Ingalls; WONDER YEARS' Jack & Norma Arnold.] I loved FAMILY TIES. Some of my favorite episodes were Season 3's Here We Go Again--I'll never forget Steven being so distracted when Elyse tells him that she's expecting Andrew that he puts his dinner plate in the silverware drawer instead of the dishwasher...I laughed until I cried. For the life of me, I can't find that clip online anywhere. I loved how Steven loathed Nick; I also loved how Nick wanted to have Lola as the wedding song when he & Mallory got married. When I graduated from high school in 1991 at age 19, I wanted "We'll walk on coals & have ninjas fight us" as my senior quote in my yearbook, but the teachers nixed it. My second choice was "If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter" from Eve Arden's Principal McGee in 1978's "Grease"--also shut down. That year the senior class had no senior quotes but I didn't have $200 to shell out for a yearbook, which was great because I only had the requisite graduation photo which I already had copies of as well as my age of majority form to leave school grounds at any time--which I never did because I have a subzero sense of direction [I am one of the few people who can't find their way into a paper bag] & my vision stinks so I couldn't get home if I tried.] Today I am able to live indepently in my own apartment with assistance from "Independent Living Counselors" to help with driving to doctors appointments, grocery shopping, etc. I enjoy spending time with my nephews & my friends & family, reading books, watching TV & [how I loved Michael Gross as Carter's dad on er!] movies & remembering the magic that was FAMILY TIES.

NikiMattson

[8]May 31, 2013
    • level: 11

Alex: (to Nick) Nick, if you want to be accepted around here you've gotta look like me, you've gotta talk like me, you've gotta be another me.

Jeff: (trying to compliment Mallory) Your eyes look like shimmering pools of corn.

and my absolute favorite:

Mallory: (explaining the meaning of life) Oh that's easy. Be happy, try not to hurt other people and hope that you fall in love.

Another favorite:

Joe Moore: Aaay!

Nick: Aaaay!

Joe: Aaaay!

Nick: Aaaay!

Stephen: Look Elyse, they're speaking Nick-a-nese!

Edited on 05/31/2013 9:00pm