Family Ties Forums

NBC (ended 1989)

Was Family Ties an adequate representation of the North American family?

druzella1

[1]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 6
    I'm a huge fan of Family Ties and in uni actually wrote an essay on Family Ties and the old forms of comedy (think Aristophanes). But I'm curious to see if people thought Family Ties represented "family" accurately for you. Did the show represent a family that is simialr to yours? Was the show "too perfect" in that the Keaton clan were the ideal, not the norm? Want to know what folks think.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lokar

[2]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 26
    I don't think they were 'too perfect.' I think they represented a particular type of family quite well.

As for whether anyone can truly reflect "the family" today, that is probably a question with too wide a scope to answer definitively for everybody. However, I think the show did well in showing a happily married couple with children.

secretkeeper81

[3]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    I'm not American so I can't answer your question properly. But I think they represented quite well that kind of love/hate relationship that goes on between brothers and sisters.
    Plus, the parents-from-the-60s vs. children-from-the-80s battle was also quite well studied in my opinion

swhitt78

[4]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 3
    Lokar wrote:
    I don't think they were 'too perfect.' I think they represented a particular type of family quite well.

As for whether anyone can truly reflect "the family" today, that is probably a question with too wide a scope to answer definitively for everybody. However, I think the show did well in showing a happily married couple with children.

There is noway to compare their family to a real family... This is one of the reasons people hold on to television life, over real life. I'll give my reasons. 1st. People going over and evaluating a life that wasn't real ("On these Q&A pages"). Every generation is different, compared to now. You are talking over 20 years ago.... And we all know that this is the"me Generation". Divorce is over 55% in this country, family is not what it used to be, even the definition is different. Picture in your mind" the family of the 50's. Divorce was around 25%, not to mention family traditions meant more. Now! picture our generation, Divorce is over 55% that's more than half of the country... In actuality! that's like a 1% success rate, if everyone in your family has been divorced. Then there is symptoms.... Meaning well over if not most of Americans are medicated over some kind of depression, or something related to that.... That is why they are an unrealistic familly; as were the Beaver-Cleaver's of the 50's.

millerem99

[5]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 51
    I definitely find Family Ties representative of some American families, and in an October blog posting I specifically mentioned this show as one of the top TV families most like my own. Specifically, I wrote about me being the Alex in our family, opposing more left-leaning parents, with the living room often being the battleground for political disagreements. While my siblings weren't much like Alex's, I could identify with him in many other ways, and my parents - despite the political nuances - were very loving, both towards us and one another.

VaMpIrEsSuCk

[6]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 11
    I think it could go either way. That is such a difficult question in my opinion because every family is different, and has its own unique values and lifestyle. i do think they were a little "too perfect" in the sense that Mr and Mrs Keaton treated their kids with such respect and always had the wisest remark or adive to offer. Realistically, noi matter how good any partent's advice is, it's never 100 percent right. I loved how Alex, Mallory, and Jennifer had such different conflicting personalities because that really is how things are between siblings. Overall, I did think it was a fairly ghood repesentation considering the times.

Sweettina513

[7]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 9
    the thing i love most about this show is it isn't the perfect "Brady Bunch" family. The family on "Family Ties" is exactly like mine. My parents, my sister, and I talk about everything. We have our spats but we get them resolved normally by the end of the day. My sister is more like Jennifer and I'm definitely more like Mallory. And our parents...are just like mine

millerem99

[8]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 51

Oh, yeah. I never thought of it in terms of Liberal parents giving wise advice to their kids....maybe that part of the show was pretty unrealistic, ha