Family Ties

Stage Fright (a.k.a.) Video Jitters

Aired Unknown Apr 04, 1983 on NBC

• "Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus!" No review of this episode would be complete without mention of this memorable line. Filled with classic Alex/Mallory sibling back-biting, this episode establishes a foundation for great episodes to come.

Admittedly some of the first season episodes are a bit too serious for me. This is not unusual for a first season, as the characters are being developed and the show is finding its niche in TV Land. Why is this episode a "10" in my book? Most any episode that begins with a recognizable premise (in this case that of the "My Fair Lady", "Pocketful of Miracles", and "Educating Rita") lets the audience know in some ways what's going to happen, while each series adds its own unique humor to make its rendition special. In this case you have Alex's classic self-serving manipulation and mockery of Mallory. Mallory in turn begins as Alex's unwitting pawn, and per usual her chief concern is her outfit. The ironic twist to the tale is that aside from Mallory's initial "SCUBA" triumph, she blows every answer during the Quiz-off. The all-male judge panel doesn't seem to mind as they award Mallory's answer of "the Straights of Massachusetts" as being close enough. Look for Deborah Foreman ("Julie" from the movie "Valley Girl") in the part of Mary Catherine - one of the three "Mary's" who play on the opposing team of the Quiz-off. This episode of Family Ties and Valley Girl were released in the same week of April 1983.
  • Alex’s excitement for his high school quiz show is halted when one of his partners comes down with the flu. Then when nobody wants to be partners with him. Alex decides to teach Mallory.

Steven is arguing with Elyse about the quiz show set the its not supposed to be “My Fair lady” when Alex decides he’s going to be Henry Higgins and finds Mallory to be the perfect Eliza Dolittle.
    The episode is funny because of how everyone acts, its very comedic. This is probably one of my favorites episodes of Mallory(Justine). She looked really cute,spunky and funny.
    Also,I liked the way they spoofed "My fair Lady"