Fantasy Island

ABC (ended 1984)

AprilFox

Fantasy Island Fan Reviews (7)

• A series of non-serial stories, often shown three at a time, and usually depicting self-satisfying fantasy. The setting is a tropical island.

My review of The Love Boat included: "Coupled with Fantasy Island of similar genre, it used to provide two hours of 'winding down' time every Saturday evening.

"The lead parts were usually well cast and well played, though they were rarely lead parts in any particular story line: they tended to be segue roles as the episode drifted from story to story over the hour."

As much as I liked the show, I tired of its appetite for sensation as the series progressed. Rather than the simple fantasies that made the show popular, the later fantasies tended to dabble into the meta-physical: an unforseen spiritual consequence here and there. Pretty soon it was difficult to discern whether Ricardo Montalban was cast as a facilitator of fantasies, or as God, Himself.
  • DA PLANE! DA PLANE!

6.8
    Those words sum up this show. It was all about Tattoo. Ricardo Montalban was good (Though Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan was his best role), but it was Villechaize that everyone remembers the most. He had a tough life, being French and all. But at least he managed to make his mark with Fontasy Eyeland! He should have done a series with Gary Coleman and Emmanuel Lewis - The 3 Musketeers.

Its a real shame that Herve Villechaize sucked on the business end of a .38 and ended it all due to health problems.

The abysmal remake of this series a few years ago is a good reason not to remake cheesy 70s series - even the half way decent ones like FA. The original was cheesy but had some good stories and was fairly entertaining.
  • Classic opening sequence – never to be forgotten (at least by me).

7.9
    What can I say that hasn’t been said before? Not much. As the show itself was basically the same story line but with little twists here and there, my review will most likely not shed any new light on the show.

That said, I was pretty much faithful viewer of this and The Love Boat. Yes, I was lured into the same story over and over week after week and I’m not afraid to admit it. This was mostly because it was an escape. Real life wasn’t as glamorous or as fun as it seemed on these shows and how could I resist a man in white promising my fantasy to come true? Ricardo Montalban is one cool guy.
  • Though it had it's small dose of 70's cheese I loved and love Fantasy Island.

What a wonderful concept, a person pays for a vacation, which acts out his or her "Fantasy". Thankfully this was not part of an adult programming. However, the show had reunions of people meeting loves from high school, and events people wanted. The show's writers had imagination too show what you want can turn into a nightmare. Ricardo mentioned this line in every third show. Ricardo, and Tatoo were well casted. As I matured, I will agree with the other posts that the storylines were thin, the sets cheap, along with rushed directing and scripts. Hard to watch again, but the what kept myself watching for a couple of minutes is some of the neat concepts, and the freshness of having new guests every week. With all television, the ideas became old, and they pushed the series 2 years too long.
  • mr roarke grants peoples wishes so that they can come true.

i used to watch this show when i was a teenager and i have to say i loved it. i could'nt wait untill next week to see who and what is going to happen of fantasy lsland. i loved the mystery of what will happen to each guest. i remember when i was younger how much i wanted to go to that island. and if i could of, i would of loved to live on that island. i thought mr roarke was great. how lucky was every one who come to this island and got what they wished for. if that could happen now i would be on that island right now.
  • ~Take a Trip on the wild side to a land where all your Fantasy's come to life~. Look up in the sky for ~Da Plane~Da plane~.

Okay, we all know that famous opening line ~Da Plane~ Da Plane~ as beautiful and visceral images of what looks like an Hawaiian Island greet us and excite us for what's in store for us on this go round. But this is no Hawaiian Island, this is Fantasy Island. An Island where anyones dreams, wishes, and aspirations can come true. Each week holds a new lineup of stars for us to go gaga over. As well as fun, heartfelt and sometimes even a lil' scarey plots. Yes, it was corney and as cheesy as you can even imagine. I mean a dwarf "if that is an acceptable term" named Tattoo who had a French accent and was basically giving goo-goo eyes to any young lady that stepped foot on the Island. Roarke, who was charming and always expressing to his Island staff to have: ~smiles everyone~ smiles~. But who himself always seemed a little devious in plotting out the wishes of his guests. Almost as if he would have a lil' fun with them in between their dreams/wants. That being said as a child I was glued once every week when "Da Plane" would arrive on the Island with all new guests and all new wishes. Watching this charming light hearted romp through the beautiful lush Island setting, watching these guests dreams come to fruition. I mean, in life haven't we all wished for something, don't we all at one time or more dream for a change in some routine, be it work, health, wealth, or love. Well on Fantasy Island we saw even our own wishes could come true. We also saw maybe the things we were wishing for weren't as good as we'd thought they would be. Sometimes with every change, comes a new outcome, which might not be the most beneficial. All this we saw through the eyes of the stars that stepped foot on the Island. And I think it taught us a lesson to watch what we wish for in life. But it also taught us that maybe Fantasy's can come true.
  • Am I crazy or is there a distinct comparrison to James Bond - Man with the Golden Gun and Fantasy Island. More than just Tatoo, the whole theme is there.

I loved fantasy Island, I was young - but wow what fun it was to visit the Island every week. \\\"DA PLANE - DA PLANE\\\". Such fun, just like the Love Boat, and now I am a regular cruiser - coincidence, I THINK NOT! Now that was TV!
    I loved the mystery of what the Fantasy would bring, is was always fun to see Tatoo getting into trouble.

We miss you Mr Roarke and Tatoo, bring back the re-runs! TV Land this show was meant for you, another generation needs to know about the Island and live the Fantasys. HURRY!