A Fargo Community
Monday 10:00 PM on FX (Returning 2017)

"Who Shaves The Barber" was another fabulous episode! From the comments over on Tim's Review it seems people enjoyed it more than "Buridan's Ass". I know I did. There was a lot going on in this episode, my mind was definitely taken on the roller coaster of emotions. Most of the episodes of Fargo do this to me, once an episode ends I usually sit and soak in all it had to offer then I try to process what it all meant. This site has not only amplified my experience with Fargo but has been a great source to help me with that process. I love all the discussion, reading everyone's comments and theorizing what will happen next. There is only 3 episodes left! Say what? Yes, it's sad but true. The end is in sight and I've got a ton going on this mind of mine!How will Fargo tie up it's story with only 3 episodes left is only the beginning.

Questions for your comments.....
-What should Molly do next?
-Would you like to see more of Molly's Dad?
-Should Molly and Gus pursue a relationship with each other?
-What would you like to see from Gus? Or has he served his purpose and you are done with him.
-Should Molly and Gus succeed in getting there fellas?

-Do you want Lester and The Widow Hess to "interact" more?
-Do you feel bad that Lester framed his brother?
-Sexy vacuuming...is it for you?
-Would you like Lester to get away or taken down?
-If he does get caught, who do you want it by?

-Are you curious as to what Malvo's motives are?
-If it's just, "he likes to create chaos just because" will this suffice?
-Do you want to know more about his past?
-Would you like Malvo to slip through the laws fingers?
-Should he punish Lester some more? Or help him?
-Do you care about Malvo's plan involving Stavros? Is there more to be handled there?

Most importantly and finally....
-What is the one thing you need answered or want to see before Fargo ends it's first season?
Oh....
-Who does shave the barber? ;)

Please feel free to answer which ever ones you want or all. :)

***Also since I showed this community a little love could you be so kind as to show yours by hitting that cute little blue/ gray button either at the top or bottom of this? THANKS!!!!***

Comments (29)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Kill Bill!

No! Keith is looking really old. I can't stand it.

Only if he gets a new job.

-What would you like to see from Gus? Or has he served his purpose and you are done with him.
See above.

-Should Molly and Gus succeed in getting their fellas?
No, I'd like to see Lorne get away. And Lester should selfdestruct without help from the police.

Yes. They both deserve what they're getting.

The brother is an asshole. But I think framing him for double murder, including a cop, is a bit drastic.

-Sexy vacuuming...is it for you?
I want more! It only lasted about ten seconds. Rarely has so few frames of TV made such an impact on society.

-Would you like Lester to get away or taken down?
Selfdestruct.
-If he does get caught, who do you want it by?
N/A

No, I think they are obvious. It's what he does for entertainment.

Absolutely.

-Do you want to know more about his past?
Yes. No. I'm not sure.

I'm sure he will.

Neither. Just nudge him gently towards his doom.

-Do you care about Malvo's plan involving Stavros? Is there more to be handled there?
Not really. But there might be more there.

-What is the one thing you need answered or want to see before Fargo ends it's first season?

Are there classes in sexy vacuuming?

Oh....
-Who does shave the barber? ;)

He has a beard.
More+
Flag
I can't believe I misspelled Nygaard.
My last name is Ellegaard for gods sake.
Flag
Well I did it too! Aaaahhhh! ;)
Flag
Let's get Tshirts made of Kitty Nygard!!!!!
Flag
Yeah definitely. I wanna see more of Lester's Walter White moments..

Nope I hated the prick already!

-If he does get caught..
No I don't think so yet.. Not by these impotent PD nor by the FBI in The Following : ))

-Should he (Malvo) punish Lester some more? Or help him?
I believe he will be punishing Lester way more in the episodes to come..
Flag
You just asked the right question man i want to ask, perfect LOOOOOOOOOOOL
Flag
I definitely want Lester and the widow to interact more. I hope to see the widow finds out Lester was scheming her. That would be interesting and to see Kate Walsh played that would be awesome.

As much as I like Lester and Malvo, I do want them to get caught. Maybe they can share a cell together :-)

I would have wished they got away if there was a season two but since there isn't, I want them to be caught.
Flag
are you sure there is no season two??? i was hopping to see more from this story....
Flag
This is an anthology series just like True Detectives so even if there is a season two, it will be a totally different cast.

You would probably guess Billy Bob Thorton and Martin Freeman are not going to be tied down to a 13 episodes series year after year.
Flag
Without Malvo and the deaf guy not talking she can't do shit about anything. But she will continue to shadow Lester because she knows.
I would like to know what happened 20 years ago, with the shooting and if maybe Lorne Malvo was involved.
Aren't they already?
-What would you like to see from Gus? Or has he served his purpose and you are done with him. That he runs into Malvo again. Could be fun...

-Should Molly and Gus succeed in getting there fellas? Good question. Should they? No - I think...
um... NO. I never wonder about his motives. The how and when is so enthralling that I don't really care for the why.
I'm not sure he "likes" to create chaos. He just gives a damn. Absolutely sufficient.
-Do you want to know more about his past? YES. See above, maybe he knows Molly's father, Lou.
Yes of course! MALVO RULZ
For now I think he's done with Lester. But maybe Lester doesn't need any more help or punishment.
-Do you care about Malvo's plan involving Stavros? Is there more to be handled there? Of course I care, it was fun and poetic what Malvo did to Stavros. I hope it's not over.
Lester fucking the Hess widow and the kids come in and he laughs in their faces and they start crying.
-Who does shave the barber?
The barber-barber?
More+
Flag
-Who does shave the barber?
The barber-barber? = POSSIBLY THE MOST PHILOSOPHICAL ANSWER EVER!!!!
Flag
-What should Molly do next? =

Retire, she is an awful cop.
Illegal searches, insubordination, not calling for back up, letting her boyfriend buddy shoot her, discharging her weapon in a public place when visibility is practically nil, got herself shot BECAUSE of her own incompetence, is now in the illegal organ trade to get a spleen
SHE SHOT A DEAF PERSON AND WAS PROUD OF HER "CENTER MASS" and then proceeded to interrogate him without a lawyer being present, or reading him his rights BECAUSE SHE IS AN AWFUL AWFUL COP!
She wouldn't even be good enough to be on The Following (possibly too harsh)
But all the cops in Fargo are crap
Oh, and she defaced a hospital window - isn't that criminal damage?

-Would you like to see more of Molly's Dad? =

Sure at either her funeral or retirement party (or a funeral party I'd gladly throw)

-Should Molly and Gus pursue a relationship with each other? =

If she retires she can pursue a relationship with whomever she tingles about

-What would you like to see from Gus? Or has he served his purpose and you are done with him. =

Pall bearer at Molly's funeral would be good

-Should Molly and Gus succeed in getting there fellas?=

Nope, I would like the interesting characters to survive rather than the dull incompetent characters being rewarded

-Do you want Lester and The Widow Hess to "interact" more? =

Yep, Kate Walsh is hot!

-Do you feel bad that Lester framed his brother? =

Nope, his character became more interesting for it

-Sexy vacuuming...is it for you? =

Yep

-Would you like Lester to get away or taken down? =

Taken down by Lorne

-If he does get caught, who do you want it by?=

Lorne

-Are you curious as to what Malvo's motives are?=

nope and I don't mind

-If it's just, "he likes to create chaos just because" will this suffice?=

Yep

-Do you want to know more about his past?=

Yes, because it would mean less time with Molly's gormless face on screen

-Would you like Malvo to slip through the laws fingers?=

Obviously...that would be my happy ending (after he kills Molly)

-Should he punish Lester some more? Or help him?=

Punish - his life won't get any better than banging Mrs Hess, so it would be a mercy to kill him

-Do you care about Malvo's plan involving Stavros? Is there more to be handled there? =

As long as he survives, I'm cool with any plan Lorne comes up with

-What is the one thing you need answered or want to see before Fargo ends it's first season? =

Will we be seeing "more" of Kate Walsh?

Oh....
-Who does shave the barber? ;) =

I'll get back to you

MALVO RULZ!!!!
More+
Flag
I like your take on Molly. I hadn't even considered those aspects of her.
Flag
It came into glaring focus for me when everyone was going on about how great she - the first thought in my mind was "Well, that's just not true....she is basically a giant child with a freaky accent"
Flag
Yeah, Molly is a terrible cop... but an exquisite investigator - compared to the other "cops". That doesn't mean that I had to fast-forward through a lot of her hospital scenes because... you know why.
And Gus... ugh. Wasn't Dexter's season 6 enough already?

MALVO RULZ and Kate Walsh is one sexy milf

Flag
The taint of Dexter continues....
Flag
In comparison to Citizen Cane I won't whisper "rosebud" on my deathbed - it will be "lumberjack" and "why?"
Flag
Ahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha! Maybe I should have asked this question...
Is the Duluth/ Bemidji P.D. more or less competent than the FBI on The Following?
I've mentally compared the two several times and decided its a wash.
Flag
I don't think Hardy ever actually shot someone on his own team
Flag
Who Shaves the Barber? Fargo induces more philosophical thought with its episode titles than most shows do all together. Well, there's a few options:

• the barber is a woman, therefore doesn't need a barber
  • the barber has been a clever man, choosing his profession wisely - he doesn't have a lot of facial hair, therefore doesn't need a barber
  • the barber uses a complicated setup of mirrors, reversing the mirroring effect mirrors usually have and is thus able to shave himself - I would not recommend this option given my personal experience with similar duties commonly conducted by a professional but tried doing myself
  • the barber bites the bullet and goes external. This option is his least preferred as he knows the other barber will never perform as well as he himself would; also he financially supports his competition
  • the barber takes a radical step and goes to a waxing saloon or, even more radical, a permanent hair removal (as per laser) clinic. This yields very good results, he must, however, be careful to keep it a secret - it would have devastating consequences for his PR as a barber lest it be revealed to his customership
I shall have to contemplate on these for a short while in order to be able to tell you a definitive answer to this very tricky riddle. Will report back soon.
More+
Flag
'Fargo induces more philosophical thought with its episode titles than most shows do all together.' So, so true!
Flag
Alright, assuming Fargo is the titular Barber, our options turn to:
  1. nope, Fargo's definitely male in this metaphor. There are genes provoking hair growth (to some extent)
  2. likely, Fargo has probably been trying to avoid leaving reasons (read: facial hair) for others to come after them (read: shave them). They have indeed chosen their profession wisely
  3. unlikely, there is little point in Fargo trying to hurt themselves. There could however be an internal individual trying to shave them
  4. also likely, although Fargo would here be going external involuntarily (read: Lorne)
  5. very unlikely, for reasons of commiting crimes as a business model. It's tough to keep those hairs from growing back.
There, I'm going with #4! Fargo has provoked another barber to come shave them. Unfortunately for them, he has already left some nasty cuts ...
Flag
Wow! I love what you're saying here! You know I've noticed that Fargo's episode titles have a deeper meaning. So while you are contemplating....Who in Fargo do you think is the Barber?
Flag
My first guess would be Fargo. Who "shaves" Fargo? Lorne did in this episode. He came after Fargo when Fargo usually is the 'one' coming after people.
On the other hand, it could well be simply a metaphorical meaning for someone getting their (deserved or not) comeuppance (e.g. Lester's brother).

I'm going with the former though.
Flag
What should Molly do next?
I commented in Tim's review that I'd sort of like Molly to be in a state of hopelessness at this point that either Gus or someone else (maybe her father?) will have to step up and help her realise not to give up/

Would you like to see more of Molly's Dad?
Sure, why not?

Should Molly and Gus pursue a relationship with each other?
That's not something I'd like to see before the end of the series. There's still, potentially, a lot of plot to cover, and I hate for that to suffer because of the addition of a romantic link between them. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the idea, and the heavy flirting they've been doing has been enjoyable, but I feel that to include it now would be a detriment to the series.

What would you like to see from Gus? Or has he served his purpose and you are done with him?
Gus needs to step up! But then again, that's what audiences expect from all characters with low self-confidence. Perhaps a more unpredictable ending will be Gus' inability to be able to do what he needs to do when the time comes (whatever that may involve). Or they could kill him off in the finale. I wouldn't mind either him or Molly dying at the end. Maybe both even? I'm rambling now, oh, the possibilities!

Should Molly and Gus succeed in getting there fellas?
For me to feel satisfied with the ending I think at least one of them, either Lester or Lorne, has to be caught. I guess it really depends on how it's done, but I think it would be far too depressing if they both got away, and I'd feel much like I felt by the end of 'Buridan's Ass' (which was sick to my stomach).

A couple of weeks back someone commented (I really wish I could remember their name!) that essentially Lester is the man that Molly needs to catch, and Lorne is the man Gus needs to catch. It's definitely a compelling idea, and has a nice symmetry to it, but I wouldn't be phased if the switched the characters around.

Do you want Lester and The Widow Hess to "interact" more?
I had wanted to see more of her in the series, but her appearance in the latest episode only served to make me realise how much I'm starting to hate Lester (he was so mean to her, not that she realised it at this stage). Perhaps an interesting way for Lester to meet is end would be at her hands, or because of her? That, too, would serve as a nice symmetry. Lester essentially killed her husband and his own wife, so for her to be responsible for his downfall would make a lot of sense. And god knows she's going to be pissed when she finds out that she won't be getting any insurance money.

Do you feel bad that Lester framed his brother?
To an extent. Chazz said some really unforgivable things to Lester earlier this season, things you should never say to your brother, but really, what Lester is doing is far worse. He's not only destroying Chazz's life but his family's as well.

Sexy vacuuming...is it for you?
For me personally? No. I listen to music while vacuuming, so it usually involves a lot of bad dancing and singing. It's definitely not sexy.

Would you like Lester to get away or taken down? If he does get caught, who do you want it by?
Like I've said, it depends how it's done. I think I could be happy either way (even if I am starting to hate him), and again, as long as the series keeps me entertained I could care less how it unfolds.

Are you curious as to what Malvo's motives are? If it's just, "he likes to create chaos just because" will this suffice? Do you want to know more about his past?
Curious would be an understatement. And no, 'he likes to create chaos just because' would definitely not be sufficient enough of an explanation of his character. I don't necessarily need to know more about his past, I purely interested in his motivations.

Would you like Malvo to slip through the laws fingers?
Refer to my response on Lester getting caught. That being said there would be something awfully compelling if Lorne was still alive at the end of the series. Just knowing that his character is still out there in the world would be interesting.

Should he punish Lester some more? Or help him?
Lorne doesn't help. That only leaves the first option.

Do you care about Malvo's plan involving Stavros? Is there more to be handled there?
Wow. I didn't realise Stravos wasn't even in the last episode. I think there's still more to be done there. Lorne had big plans before Mr. Numbers and Wrench interrupted him, and with 'Fargo' assumedly taken care of one would think Lorne will now get back to them. Not that anyone has any idea what those plans are, and why Lorne is doing anything at all, but yeah, I'd be annoyed if that where they leave that story.

What is the one thing you need answered or want to see before Fargo ends it's first season?
Already answered it in this list. I just have to know what motivates Lorne and why he does the things he does!

Who does shave the barber?
Seems like a riddle, like who came first, the chicken or the egg? Or even the riddle Lorne asked Gus, 'why are people able to see the color green more than any other color?'

Thanks so much for you're reviews/ discussions throughout this season, I've highly enjoyed them! Sometimes it's good to make separate discussions/ threads from the episode reviews for series like Fargo as it can be analysed to no end, much to my own enjoyment.
More+
Flag
Re. Widow Hess.
I disagree. Lester was not responsible for Hess' death. That was all Malvo. Watch the scene in the ER waiting room again. Lester did nothing to encourage Lorne.
Flag
As always thank you for your support and comments on my posts!!! :) I know I'm not as articulate or as insightful as the TV.com staff or others on this site. The more I try my hand at it the better I can improve. :) Speaking of posts, you did Boardwalk Empire last season right? I wasn't a member back then just a stalker. ;) I hope you decide to do it this year. :) Ok onto your fantastic reply.....
Looks like you and I have the same thoughts and answers to my questions. I didn't answer because I'd rather reply to others.
I 100% agree about Molly and Gus. Their slow burn is enjoyable and I'd rather keep it that way. If they survive, a walk off into the snow holding hands that would put a smile on my face. Sometimes what isn't seen is stronger than what is.
I also love the idea of at least one of Lorne or Lester needs to get away. Which one? I'm still torn. Sometimes it's Lester sometimes it Lorne. I'm sure what ever the outcome is we will be left in shock.
You know what was funny over at Tim's review was that NO ONE mentioned the fact that Stavros wasn't in this episode. It was interesting that Lorne dropped that whole plan to go travel cross country to handle "Fargo". He went to that horrible depiction of Reno (I live there) and then back to Fargo and shot up a building of people! I am hoping there is more to see there. You can't be left with Stavros standing in the middle of dead fish.
Finally.....I've said it a bunch of times.....I need to know why Lorne is, well Lorne.
More +
Flag
Yep, I did some Boardwalk reviews last season, and I do hope to do them again when it comes back on, thanks for asking. I'd love to be able to review more shows, but it's only really this time of the year where there's only a few shows on where I'd have the opportunity to write them as well as a want. Most other times of the years I'm struggling to watch three or four shows a night, let alone review them! But alas.

Maybe it was a case of out of sight out of mind with Stravos, but the more I think about it the series would have to pick up this plot again moving forward because it would make little sense for it to be dropped all together after such a big build up.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members