A Fargo Community
Monday 10:00 PM on FX (Returning Spring 2017)

You betcha FX is going back to Fargo. The series will officially return for a second season, the network announced at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Monday. Executive producer and writer Noah Hawley will craft another 10-episode tale featuring all-new characters (and an all-new cast of actors), a new time period, and a new true crime story. 

But Fargo might look a lot different in Season 2. Like, "completely different source material" different. Hawley recently told The Hollywood Reporter that "what's really interesting about this exercise of emulating a movie, as a storyteller, is having available to me a whole body of work. The Coen brothers are so varied—from Raising Arizona to A Serious Man, there's so much." 

So go ahead and get your wishlist going now: Who would you cast? When should the story take place? What Coen brothers' crossovers would you like to see? Let's hear your best ideas in the comments. 

UPDATE: FX has released the first details on Season 2, including a setting and time period.

In more unsurprising but totally welcome news, FX has also renewed Louie for a seven-episode fifth season, with a target debut date of late spring 2015. That's a sizable decrease from Season 4, which recently wrapped a 14-episode run that regularly made headlines for its thought-provoking and sometimes controversial content

Which renewal are you more excited for?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

49 Comments
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Louie is getting too damn depressing. This is a full blown comedy and he is ALWAYS nominated as a top funny man? Gimme a break! Good show just not the least bit funny. And just coz a show has a bit of humor in it, ala Nurse Jackie, does not make it a comedy show!
No love for the League? Now theres some humor!!!!!!
Flag
this is for those dimwits who claimed there'd never be a season two of fargo: go jump in an ice cold fishing hole and never resurface.
Flag
Burn After Reading?! No Country for Old Men on FX?
Flag
Under the pretense of this idea, consider the preposterous idea of True Grit on FX but under the name "Fargo". Strange what the suggestion can cause you to think of.
Flag
I kind of wish perfect one-offs would be left alone. Giving Fargo a second season feels a lot like a quick attempt at a cash-grab.
Flag
I thought Fargo was excellent. From the writing to the acting, to the finale. I would like to see Allison Tolman back with another case. Billy Bob Thornton was incredible in this, btw.
Flag
I thought "Fargo" was a perfectly told story that's now over, like "True Detective". So I don't quite understand why they both got renewed for completely different stories, yet continue to use the same title. I understand that it's a way to bring in a preexisting audience, but it also feels like a cop out.
Flag
They were both planned as series that start over every season, so nothing is unexpected here. I'm glad for it.
Flag
I just want them to keep following the briefcase. If we're going by a different Coens film, I'd really love a version of one of their folk-focused films, or No Country for Old Men, just to see how they'd end it. (It'd be hilarious if a ten hour series would just end mid plot and never return to it.)
Flag
Very excited hear there will be more of Fargo. I want to know what happened during the Winter on 1979, that sounds like a good story.
Flag
The best news I ever read at this website, I can't wait to see it
Flag
I'd love to see a new version of the Coen Bro.'s first film, Blood Simple.
Flag
waiting for new season of louie to come to netflix.
Flag
Best news ever. I was starting to think they wouldn't pick it up for another season and just call it a mini-series.
Flag
Louie only gets seven episode? That does not make any sense considering how good season four was. I do not imagine it is very expensive to make unless Louie raised his fees. Did Louie only want to do seven? Each episode is only less than 30 minutes.

Fargo getting renewed is expected but wonderful news. I do hope we get a good cast. Now that Boardwalk Empire is ending, I really hope they would consider Steve Buscemi and perhaps William Macy for a true Fargo reunion.

I am hoping they will make "No Country for old man" into a 10 episode series. One of my favorite Coen Brothers movie.
Flag
what season did you watch? Louie was sad, morose and depressing. No gut wrenching laughter that a comedy show is all about!
Flag
If you want LOL comedy, go watch his live skit instead. Everyone I know praise episode three "so did the fat lady."

I liked episode two "model" and most episodes of the elevator stories. Louie is niche comedy. The ratings were never high even for previous seasons but his fans always love him.
Flag
It is nominated as one of the 5 funniest shows on tv, and same for him, ur telling me this show is as funny as The League or about 7 others? Maybe it should be in the depressing with a small grin niche!
Flag
The ratings are not that high but critics and fans like me loved it.
Flag
I would love to see No Country as a 10 episode series, because while I very much enjoyed the film, I felt there were far too many areas rushed or sort of glossed over that could have used much more insight or explanation. I especially found the ending very anticlimactic and empty compared to the huge buildup of events. Of course, given the Fargo series, I would imagine it unlikely for them to retread the same storyline as the movie; From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series style.
Flag
The series Fargo and the film Fargo has entirely different stories. However, the second series may not have to be. They came take some elements of No Country and make the second series. I am not sure how to do it or I will be rich and famous but I do trust they could do it well.
Flag
Exciting news but I'd rather see a new story with the same cast or a story that connects together. I really want to see what the horror in Molly's Dad's past was about. Whatever they decide I'm sure it'll be worth watching.
Flag
I agree. Would love to see more Carradine.
Flag
I don't get it. Keeping the name Fargo seems to make as much sense as calling this first season "Raising Arizona". Or Disney calling all of its princess films "Snow White".
Flag
You mean the Grimm brothers, not Disney. Disney just adapts and copyrights stories written by others.
Flag
I see the comparison of brothers, but the Coens didn't create or write TV's Fargo. Noah Hawley did. And this report seems to say Noah will adapt other Coen Brothers material, just as Disney did with multiple Grimm brothers' tales.
Flag
That's so funny. I didn't mean that. I just meant that Disney did not create Snow White. It just adapted it and copyrighted their material.
Flag
How about a Fargo-True Detective crossover?
Flag
The father (coffee shop owner) was a cop who retired after getting shot so a retro story about how it happened could be interesting.
Flag
Yeah, so many references to what happened in Sioux Falls, would love to find out what happened there, but I worry we'd just find out it wasn't nearly as dramatic or eventful as all the anecdotes make it out to be.
Flag
That is the story I want to see next. However it seems like they don't want to connect season one to season two. Bummer.
Flag
A farming setting for Fargo, please. Like Nebraska or Kansas. And no snow this time. :)
Flag
Fargo is the name of the city in North Dakota. You can't have it take place in a different state. That would be like NCIS: Miami taking place in Kansas.
Flag
You do realize most of the original movie took place in Brainerd, MN and Minneapolis, MN? That the series took place in Duluth, Minneapolis, and Bemidji, MN? Or the fact a good chunk of Fargo itself is on the MN side of the border, right?
Flag
Well, technically the show Fargo took place in Minnesota (Duluth and Bemidji). The Fargo tie-in is that's where the leader bad guy was from. They could do something similar in the next part of the anthology series.
Flag
Sure you can. Besides being a place in North Dakota, Fargo is also a movie by the Cohen brothers.
Flag
I like that Fargo is coming back. I don't like Louie, so I don't care if it is coming back for a shorter season.
Flag
As much as I enjoyed Fargo, I'm kind of upset that it has been renewed for a second season. I don't know why we can't just let good TV exist without wringing it out for all its worth
Flag
Its a different story with a different cast but the same show runners and writers so its really a great it had been renewed. They have the skills and ideas to do a good series and there is no chance the same story will get stale if it goes on too long.
Flag
You shouldn't be.

Each season is completely rebooted (like American Horror Story and True Detective). New characters, new story, new setting. Anything that happened in Season 1 will have nothing to do with Season 2...they are not wringing it out for all that it's worth, they are simply rebooting a movie and turning it into a serialized TV show with completely original stories! It is actually brilliant if you ask me because Fargo was a show where the setting was the star!
Flag
Thank you, of that I was already aware. I feel the same way about True Detective, so I'm glad that you brought it into the conversation. Fact is even if they have new characters, a new story, and a new setting, they are still going to be trending on the name "Fargo." That means that even with all the changes, and despite it basically being a brand new show, it will still be compared to the first season. Not only that but it also means that despite it being a self-contained piece it can still cause harm to the legacy of the series.

Putting all of that aside though, it also feeds into the fact that there is nothing original in Hollywood anymore. Imagine if instead of wanting guaranteed viewership and to make a big splash in the headlines by pulling out the old reliable that is the title "Fargo," FX instead said that they were giving Noah Hawley another 10 episode miniseries. Considering the skill and ideas that he has proven himself to be in posession of, the announcement of him working on another series would excite me, but by tying it directly in "Fargo" it automatically creates expectations.
More +
Flag
7 episodes of Louie? I guess this is the compromise to getting episodes every year instead of waiting 2 years for 14 like last season. Hopefully this next season will be funny though, that was missing.
Flag
If Mad Men can get away with it (and BB did it with 8) then why not Louie. That's the way I see it.
Flag
And no rape.
Flag
Yea that was beyond weird. Can never look at Louie the same again.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members