A Fargo Community
Monday 10:00 PM on FX (Returning 2017)

Fargo S01E06: "Buridan's Ass"

I just don't think "Awww jeez" is going to cut it for this one.

"Buridan's Ass" deserves at least a "Holy macaroni!," a "What a whopper!," or, perhaps more appropriately, a "HOLY @&*$ING $#!^BALLZ!," because the episode transformed Fargo from whimsical dark comedy to Heat-like shootout in a whiteout blizzard without missing a step. The series got REAL with that snowy massacre, and it was the most riveting action sequence I've seen on television since HBO's True Detective spent six minutes hurtling us through a gang-infested compound while Rust Cohle hightailed it outta there. It was so intense that my heart stopped three times before the scene was over and I had to be revived by my cats.

But as we reflect on the carnage, all I can think is, "Boy, Chief Bill Oswalt is really going to have his hands full with this one!" Such is the nature of the incredible cartoon world in which Fargo exists. I mean, there was a guy in the hospital who was wrapped head-to-toe in bandages; that kind of stuff only exists on Tom & Jerry! More and more, Fargo is kind of like a new version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? where Bmidji is Toontown and Lorne Malvo, Mr. Wrench, and Mr. Numbers are the real-world invaders—but they're bringing more than oversized boxing gloves on springs and two-ton anvils as murder weapons. And that's how the series is able to have it both ways. It's one of television's funniest shows, and it's one of television's darkest shows. 

Let's hit the highlights of that shootout, which began when Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers boxed Malvo in and pulled out the big guns. The cover of snow split everyone up—to Malvo's advantage, since he was outnumbered—and Mr. Wrench's lack of hearing certainly didn't help his chances in a setting that dulled one of his four working senses. Malvo, that crazy mofo, cut his wrist to lure Mr. Numbers to a doorway, where Malvo ambushed him, shanked him, and got him to reveal the name of his employer ("Fargo") before cutting his throat. Molly confronted Malvo outside of Gus's visibility and someone fired twice, but we didn't know who got hit. Our guess was that it wasn't Molly who took the bullets, if anyone did, because we saw her walking back. But then Gus, the world's worst cop—he just wanted to be a mailman!—fired off an ill-advised shot and felled Molly.

And if it turns out that Molly is actually dead, I'll eat a whole five-pound brick of Turkish Delight.

But I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility. Fargo's got an interesting and messed-up theme going on, and it's something along the lines of, "Trying to be good is boring, pointless, and it sucks." We saw it in the story that was first told by Gus's neighbor in Episode 5 and touched on again in this episode, about the rich man who donated his money and then a kidney before taking his own life to donate all his organs. The enigmatic parable, which I still don't entirely understand, says that only a fool believes he can solve the world's problems. But the rich man who committed suicide only solved his own problem; he couldn't bear to see the world suffer, but in trying to fix things for everyone else, all he did was put an end to his own strife. Vern Thurman was a good man who wanted to fix the world's problems and he had his chest shot out. Molly is the kind of person who thinks she can fix the world's problems, so I wouldn't be entirely shocked if she's dead, too.

In contrast, Malvo—and now to some degree Lester—enjoys seeing the world suffer, so he moves through the world with impunity. Fargo is really giving the upper hand to evil at the moment.

Taking this point to Stavros is also interesting. Early in the series, the Malvo/Stavros extortion plot felt more tangential to Fargo's main murder mystery (Sam Hess), but has since developed nicely. Because Malvo exploited Stavros's fear of God by reenacting the ten Biblical Plagues to (almost) get the money out of the grocery mogul, Stavros started to look at the bigger picture, and interpreted his situation as God's way of telling him to repay his debt—the box of money he'd discovered so many years prior. And like many religious nuts, he believed so blindly that he buried a million dollars in a snowbank thinking it would protect his firstborn son

But it didn't, and a hailstorm of fish rained down from a stormy waterspout, causing the wreck of a car that containing Stavros's son and dad (I think it was his dad?), as the vehicle spun out on fish guts and ended up bent around a telephone pole in a bloody mess that left them both dead. 

Stavros was trying to amend his mistakes, yet he was still punished. Is Stavros actually being punished by God for sins he can't ever atone for? Or are these signs of the Plagues (the pig's blood in the shower, the crickets in the grocery store, the dead dog, even the snowstorm as a stand-in for darkness) just the work of a madman named Lorne Malvo? Who himself might be the epitome of evil for pretending to be God?

Moving forward, all these questions swimming in my head makes Gus one of Fargo's most interesting characters. Here is a man who didn't want to try and solve the world's problems. He never wanted to be a cop. His only ambition in life was deliver mail. And when he let Malvo go in the series premiere, he only had himself and his daughter in mind. Now the weight of the situation sits on his shoulders. Yet when he tried to help, he shot Molly. 

My theory is that the "solving the world's problems" parable was first explained to Gus because Gus is actually the answer. God is not involved in this mess. This mess is a product of the natural world. And in the natural word there are predators and there is prey, as Malvo illustrated for us in "Eating the Blame" when he feigned innocence as a minister named Frank Peterson and then confused Gus with trivia about how many shades of green the human eye can see. It's survival of the fittest. What Gus decides to do and what he achieves will either confirm or rebuke the riddle of the rich man. 

What started out as a simple series about a complicated murder in a quiet town has become a philosophical showcase for conflicting sides of the same story, and the question of how we measure how much good and evil exists within us? Evil appears to be infecting Bmidji like an illness, with Lester as Patient Zero. His escape from the hospital was so messed up, but also so much fun to watch. And as he returned to his bed knowing that he'd just framed his brother and his brother's perfect F'ing family, his expression of self satisfaction was colder than the weather outside. 

Lester experienced his Walter White moment this week. He knows who he is now, and he kind of likes it. 

Two weeks ago, I said that a 4-Episode Test™ wouldn't be enough to determine whether Fargo was merely a great show or one of THE greats. After "Buridan's Ass," if it can keep this up, I'm putting it squarely in the THE column. This is your best new show of 2014, folks. 

NOTES

– Don's (Glenn Howerton) demise was one of the most amazing death scenes I've ever seen. That was F'd up, Noah Hawley. Keep it up!

Fargo's escalation of weaponry is awesome. What started out with hammers, knives, and shotguns has turned into flashbangs, riot shields, and automatic weapons. If this continues, the finale should involve plasma cannons and laser guns.

– I love movies with tons of snow. There's something about the aesthetic and the metaphor for buried secrets that I'll never tire of. If you're looking for more, check out Christopher Nolan's Insomnia or Sam Raimi's A Simple Plan, the latter of which also stars Billy Bob Thornton. Both are very good. 

– Mr. Numbers! I'm going to miss that guy. Numbers may've been the best character Adam Goldberg's ever played. And now Mr. Wrench is out there in the blizzard, all by himself... what's he going to do?

– I love how "Buridan's Ass" episode started with a fish being killed by a man and ended with fish killing men. 

– Lester put a gun in Chazz's son's backpack. Uh-oh. What's going to come of that? 

– After Don pulled the trigger on the shotgun to try to kill Malvo, Malvo said, "That's okay, I'd be insulted if you didn't try." 

– Will the Fargo office send more men down to Bemidji to fix things? 

What'd you think of "Buridan's Ass"? Is Molly dead or alive? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

92 Comments
Comments (88)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I must admit the storyline that kept me interested up until now was the Lorne Malvo/Stavros one. I wasn't really invested in Lester's, but this episode really flipped things around!
Flag
I was thinking the very same thing about Lester experiencing a "Walter White moment". This show has the potential (and the great casting, and the pace, and the feeling) of Breaking Bad. I knew from episode 1, it's potential. On continuous watching, so many more levels of storyline are emerging and making it's potential endless! Thanks for your ep. review and commentary.
Flag

I agree also that this episode just put Fargo on that list. The greatest tv shows of all time list.
Flag
Gus is the dumbest cop in history. What a dumbass and i'm not even saying that cause i like Molly, he's just a well rounded dumbass. Dude better smarten up and you know what will be offensive....is if Gus the dumbest character in the show is the one who ends up killing Malvo.
Flag
I saw Molly in the coming attractions for next eppisode
Flag
The blizzard scene was brilliant. Perfectly choreographed and, like all of Fargo, great sound arrangements too.

Now for the rest of the episode or the show... I am less impressed than Tim. Sure the show looks good and is clever (smart ass often though) but too much of this show seems like a celebration of cliches like...
  • Bad guys being smarter and seemingly able to get away with everything eg Malvo and now Lester (his hospital escape was cartoonish indeed - not a compliment)
  • Good guys being useless / pathetic (minus Molly perhaps) - Gus is the worst character ever (doesn't help Colin Hanks still looks like that equally useless character from Dexter's very terrible Season 6)
  • Violence as a spectacle esp. the police assault on Don's house. It felt pretty gratuitous that Don had to be killed in such a gruesome way. Sure Malvo was never going to let Don walk but just kill him fast. I felt genuinely uncomfortable watching Malvo prepare the Don debacle and then watching Don's terror before the inevitable end.

Flag
I agree the blizzard scene was awesome
Flag
It will be sad to see Malvo and Lester go in the final episode but that is television. I hate it that my brain can't pick up all the subtle messages during the show, like the cook whacking the fish at the start and the fish whacking the 2 men at the end. One thing that is not realistic - Duluth police shooting up a house with a guy taped to a chair? That happens only in Texas, the other end of I-35. Minnesota nice here - we would burn the house with the guy in it, not shoot it up.
Flag
I reckon Molly found Mr. Wrench, he didn't respond to her telling him to stop, obviously, so she shot him. Then, Gus shot her. Not sure if she'll be killed or not.

My first theory was she got shot my Malvo or Mr. Wrench and then again by Gus, which means he didn't killed her but things he did etc. But Malvo had an automatic weapon so I don't think he fired the 2 shots we didn't see and I'm just liking my other theory better now anyway.
Flag
I really liked Malvo's face when he was shot at. He seemed genuinely sad in some sort of childish way.
Flag
I had two revelations on closer examination. The first is Molly shouts "halt" and you clearly see gun sparks within the fog within a second. They were too quick to have come from Molly, Mr Wrench more likely shot Molly and Gus didn't hit her. He thinks he is at fault. But my guess is that will be cleared up in the next episode with ballistics. Thus clearing Gus to work with Keith Carradine. The second is the "rain of fish". The Fargo boss said to kill them all. Mr Numbers and Mr Wrench's job was to try to kill Malvo. The character acknowledging the Fargo boss across the fish table must have been responsible for killing the "King's son and consigliere". My guess is he rained the fish from above the tree line in some matter. Whether Molly is still alive or not really doesn't matter. The best result is she will be incapacitated. And have an emotional link for KC and Gus to work together.
Flag
I'm still torn on the fish. Was it truly a freak occurrence or someone was genius enough to drop them from the trees.
Flag
He put the gun in the sons backpack so he'd take it to school which would lead to cops investigating his fathers gun collection and finding.. oops.
Flag
Yep and is it just me or did the Adam Goldberg character said Gorgo or something like that not Fargo for who sent him, after all wasn't Fargo the name of the town in the movie?
Flag
Nah, he said Fargo. They've referenced it a few times before. They refer to it like Mobsters used to refer to Chicago.
Flag
Molly is alive...Bullet Proof Vest. Enough said.
Flag
I don't think Molly is dead, and i can't believe someone like Lester has not criminal experience or even and evil man can do all that, it is true what they say bad things happen to good people, one last thing who in the hell is Fargo???? :)
Flag
If you like movies with lots of snow then you should also give Deadfall a try, it's thriller that takes place during like one or two days all during this crazy blizzard, it starts Charlie Hunnam, Olivia Wilde, and Eric Bana and it's a pretty good movie, alt better than I thought it would be from the trailer. Eric Bana has a particularly interesting role, it's probably a more interesting character than he's ever played, or than I've ever seen him play anyway. It's only about an hour and a half so it's not a huge commitment either.
Flag
i agree
Flag
Watching Glenn Howerton die was both brutal and amazing. I kept thinking to myself "no way these bumpkins are gonna unload on this guy, he HAS to live through this" and then all my hopes were blown away in a hail of gunfire. What a gloriously ugly death. Bravo not only to the writer for creating that scene, but also to the cinematographer.
Flag
Bad Critics are to Television what Television is to Art!
Flag
Okay, the only reason I think Molly is alive (and I will grant you this is wimpy reason) that since this is a "true" story, someone had to tell it. And, well, who else would be the storyteller with a wider perspective? Gus? I suppose the scenes between the two sort of have Molly in hero worship pov and she seriously just rocks on her scenes by herself, I could see how Gus could paint her as the only light in the darkness. But story wise, this probably is useful to put her in a Duluth hospital where really only Gus will visit her where she is out of danger but has the time to figure all this stuff out where she isn't subject to Bill's weird rules.

My theory about what Lester is doing probably knowing there is no reason that anyone would investigate Chaz, but if a teacher finds a gun (even one unloaded as Lester made sure it was) would cause someone to inquire and maybe cause Chaz's wife to be outraged that her son could get his hands on this and maybe makes Chaz gets rid of stuff and she stands there and voila.

Flag
I'm actually rooting for Malvo and Lester.

I find Molly to be extremely annoying, but Gus seems nice.
Flag
Spoiler alert:

IMDB shows Allison Tolman (Molly) as appearing in all 10 episodes.
Flag
Definitely not my favorite Fargo episode, way too convoluted IMO.
I know Tim is oogling about Fargo and no doubt its awesome. But lets face it...it ain't no True Detectives.
Flag
Hum... Some people do prefer Fargo though.
A poll would be fun.
Flag
I like this show but this episode was too riddled with stupidity that I'm gonna have to throw it on the WTF pile.
Flag
I do not think Molly is dead but I would not be surprised if she did. I think the way the series is going, it is likely Gus would make amends and catch Malvo in the finale since this is an anthology series and there will be an ending. I have already put FARGO as one of the best NEW show in 2014.

In terms of the episodes I still prefer the pilot and episode four more than this.

By the way, that is that is NOT Starvo's dad, it was his head of security. I think you are watching too many shows Tim.
Flag
I think Malvo is Gus' man to catch and Lester is Molly's. Sure the two tie together but that's how I see it going down. So Molly should survive.
Flag
In my "best" scenario, Molly had already been shot by someone else, Gus missed and she lives; though my first reaction was "Oh, No! Gus sank his own ship!" But in a series where so many farcical things happen, I don't dare make any predictions.

The episode title is a puzzle. It might as well have been called "Buridan's My Ass", since everyone took decisive action (rejecting the paradox) and yet there was still lots of death.

And the blizzard was great. Supernatural, even. It really set the mood, providing cover and isolation. I don't think most of what we saw could have happened without it. I'd definitely vote for it for "Episode MVP".
Flag
(I want so much to change my "Oh, no!" to "Golly!") :-)
Flag
Tragic, so tragic.

I liked the lighting during the snowstorm shootout, though.

Toontown's a very good analogy.

I hope she's alive, but I think she's dead.
Flag
Molly is a lead character and it's very early in the season. Highly unlikely they would dump her. It would hurt her career big time. The gun in the backpack will clearly be the link to the planted evidence. Somebody will explain to the chief that it wasn't suicide by cop. Malcolm is, again, screwing with the cops. There's a lot more fun coming up, that's for sure!
Flag
I highly doubt Molly is dead. Even if she did get hit somewhere vital, chances are the snow will keep her alive long enough for help to arrive. At least, I hope!
Flag
Wow the shootout in the snow was kinda beautiful, how weird is that? lol

I hope Molly isn't dead, but I won't be surprised if she is.
Flag
The man who had Stavro's son at his cabin was Wally, head of security for the store. He's introduced in episode 2.
Flag
There something that doesn't quite add up about Malvo framing Glenn Howerton's character for the shooting. Wouldn't him being bound by duct tape be a red flag he was set up? What was the point of it? I don't understand it.

Overall great episode. My only beef with it was that I was hoping the showdown between Malvo and the hit men would be more evenly matched. I mean sure Malvo had to win the fight but it would have carried more weight if Malvo had met a worthy adversary.

I really hope Molly isn't dead. She should be the one who takes Malvo down.
Flag
Glenn was a red herring to keep the police distracted.
Flag
I think you give Duluth PD too much credit. Before Malvo turned off his police scanner, those country bumpkins were saying that it looked like a case of suicide-by-cop!
Flag
Actually, I think Gus should be the one to take Malvo down. Molly gets Lester.
Flag
Gus is too dumb to take a calculating, intelligent killer like Malvo down. he took Molly down though.
Flag
Also, insightful review, Tim! Do them on a weekly basis please?
I like your thoughts on the philosophy Fargo is trying to convey with its various parables.

Flag
I can't begin to say how much I like this show. It's just unbelievably good.
Flag
how much I like love this show.
Flag
Tim, you do great reviews and I enjoy reading them. But you seem to have skipped the reference to the title of the episode, Buridan's Ass (donkey). To whom or what do you think this paradox references in the show. It is a puzzlement.
Ken
Flag
All Things Borrowed; And Trying to Pretend To Be Surprised When Molly's Dad Works With Gus

Insomnia. Different type of cops. Different motivations. But everyone had to know that the fog would impact Gus and/or Molly.
Breaking Bad. Multiple Walter White Moments. Malvo's "rigging" of the perfect unmanned weapon (last episode of BB). And Lester - who presumably was just a nice guy before the murder - obviously had an underlying sense of insecurity and was destined to be vengeful.
Justified And Boyd Crowder. The idea that there is a criminal that always is able to allude being caught or trapped. While knowing that said criminal's miraculous skills will end at the end of the show.
Do I care? What's at stake? Who do we care about? No one really. I will try to pretend to be surprised when Molly's dad (KC) - an ex-cop, who hates Gus's boss as much as Gus does - hooks up with Gus to solve whatever (name them ...) crimes. Did anyone really think Keith Carradine signed up for the show to serve coffee and advice ....

In my opinion.
This is a good show. This is not a great show. I don't find it particularly groundbreaking. And I find it to be too predictable. Other than that ... I love it.
More+
Flag
Good call. I feel Molly's dad has been on the back burner let's bring him to the front. Gus needs a mentor and I think he would be a good one to learn from.
Flag
Good point re: Carradine.
Flag
Thanks for the kind words Jen and Cathlene. Because I download the series on iTunes, I re-watched the episode last night. I will add an entry at the top of the comment list. But I had two revelations on closer examination. The first is Molly shouts "halt" and you clearly see gun sparks within the fog within a second. They were too quick to have come from Molly, Mr Wrench more likely shot Molly and Gus didn't hit her. He thinks he is at fault. But my guess is that will be cleared up in the next episode with ballistics. Thus clearing Gus to work with Keith Carradine. The second is the "rain of fish". The Fargo boss said to kill them all. Mr Numbers and Mr Wrench's job was to try to kill Malvo. The character acknowledging the Fargo boss must have been responsible for killing the "King's son and consigliere". My guess is he rained the fish from above the tree line.
Flag
"Molly confronted Malvo outside of Gus's visibility..."

I was sure she confronted Mr. Wrench. She sees Wrench with an assault rifle, says "stop", Wrench can't hear her, and she fire at him. Then she walks back towards Gus who shoots her. Malvo was already long gone.
Flag
Do you think Molly is dead?
Yep. And now Gus will become the cop he was always meant to be.

I don't agree with that last part. I think she's dead, and he's going to *stay* incompetent.
Flag
While I loved Lester's more avert transformation throughout this episode, everything that happened at the hospital was far too convenient.

He just so happened to be a room with a patient he could easily switch with, and the orderly was beyond incompetent, first in leaving 'Mr. Creed' unattended, and then trying to find him for what, like, 2 hours? It's ridiculous to think Lester escaped from the hospital unseen, and then wasn't noticed missing for that period of time, and was then able to return to his room unnoticed.

Anyway, the only time he faulted was when he was seen by Chazz's son, which will undouvtedly come back to bite him in the ass.
Flag
As unfortunate as being seen by his nephew. I don't think anything will come of it. The kid may say something but no one will believe him because he carried a gun to school (not his is own will). I'm sure his peeing in jars will come up as a way to discredit him as well.
Flag
Having spent some time in hospitals in recent years, I have no problem seeing Mr. Creed unattended.
Flag
Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong... I just meant that you'd think that the radiologist (or whoever) that was meant to be taking him for tests would wonder where he was, and question his whereabouts, at least.
Flag
I'm probably gonna be in the minority here, but I really didn't like this episode. I'm not even entirely sure why. I didn't mind Molly getting shot at all, because it seemed pretty reasonable compared to everything else that happened. I think it was actually Don's death that got to me the most, because it was so frustratingly absurd to watch. And everything got increasingly absurd after that - Lorne taking out the trained hitmen who even got the drop on him, Lester taking a trip to his house (what happens when they find out that the other patient never made it to radiology? What happens when they eventually remove his bandages and he talks about his fellow patient kicking him out of bed?), Stavros' son randomly dying (and yes, the firstborn thing was obvious, but... this is just... insane! The level of absurdity is bordering cartoon reality!).
Numbers and Wrench suddenly seemed incredibly incompetent, which contrasts everything we've seen previously. At least the police being incompetent was fairly expected, but holy hell are they bad. There HAS to be some social commentary with Don and Molly's death scenes - I kept thinking "yup, that's the USA".
Flag
Lorne is also a trained hitman. He's just a lot better. I never got the impression that Numbers and Wrench were particularly good at their job, just very vicious.
Flag
That's what I took from this episode yea, but come on, they were clearly played up to be total badasses.
Flag
Absolutely. Total badasses. Lots of flash and posturing.
Lorne is just quietly competent.
That usually works better.
Flag
Oh, and yes, objectively speaking, it was as great as the rest of the series has been. The snowdown sequence was soooo good. What generally happened in the episode is just starting to throw me off.
Flag
What did Lester plant at his brother's house before planting the gun?
Flag
His dead wife's panties and photos of her.
Flag
And the hammer.
Flag
Can someone explain how exactly Lester framed his brother? I missed it? What suspicion is going to fall on him?
Flag
He'll have pictures of Lester's wife, as well as her panties, hidden amongst a closet of illegal guns. It'll suggest he had an unhealthy obsession with her, and his experience with firearms won't paint him in a positive light, either.
Flag
Oh ok. I guess I totally missed the pictures part of it. Thanks.
Flag
He also planted the hammer he used to murder his wife.
Flag
@TimSpot, and for anyone else wondering, Lester put the gun in Chazz's son's backpack to ensure the evidence he planted would be found by the police without actually having to accuse Chazz of any crimes himself. The child will take the gun out at school, and the police will have to investigate his home - and what do you think they'll find when looking about Chazz's gun collection?
Flag
Escaping the hospital to go and do something dastardly and then return afterwards, the slow transformation from set-upon weed to outright, embraced villain, epic shoot-outs within the show's sprawling backdrop. This show is definitely trying to be the new Breaking Bad.
Flag
I actually feel sick after watching this episode, and a series that is able to physically alter a person is undoubtedly great in my opinion. I want Molly to be alive so much, my heart literally sank when Gus knelt down beside her body, but that being said, I'm also deeply conflicted. Her death will be a memorable one if the series makes it so. And the fact that Gus was responsible - even more heartbreaking.

Lorne has been discussed as a sociopath around these parts, and he's literally been playing the devil's advocate throughout the series, but what made this episode even more painful was that other than Don's death (which has made me feel a lot colder towards Lorne's character now) and Mr. Numbers', all the other horrible deaths that occurred in this episode were a cruel twist of fate. I thought I couldn't feel even worse after Molly, but then Stavros, assumedly thinking he had repaid his debt and been forgiven by God, drove up to a car wreckage to find his son dead, the very thing he was trying to avoid. Sickening stuff, and absolutely compelling.
Flag
Lester is shaping up nicely as the show's go to psychopath , he knows what he's doing is wrong but he doesn't give a shit! Nice Blood Simple nod with the bullet hole lights BTW....
Flag
The man who drove Stravos' son was not his dad, he was his bodyguard the ex football player.

Lester put the gun on the kid's backpack so it gets found at school and leads to the finding of the other things he planted which is pretty fucking smart since he doesn't have to imply his brother may have done it. What a Malvo moment, he was born to be a son of a bitch.

Malvo is a very slippery bastard damn. That whole scene and the one before it with the police shooting the turkish bath man were awesome. I want to see Mr. Wrench take it personal.

I felt the show was kind of calming down the last 2 episodes and Malvo wasn't being a funny character anymore (teasing people) but this episode was very unexpected and I loved it.
Flag
What the....I....can't....WHAT THE F*** JUST HAPPENED!!!!! I can't believe it! What a fan-freaking-tastic episode. I wasn't expecting ANY OF THAT! I love love love when a show can just blow my mind! Tim Surette is absolutely right in comparing this episode to True Detective's Six Minutes of Brilliance.
This episode was a game changer. Mind is blown!

Looks like Lester found what his brother said was missing. It's either his mind or his balls! I'm not not sure I like Lester's plan but at least it is a plan. I guess if his brother isn't going to have his back he is going to screw him and enjoy watching it!
Poor Stavros. Just when he thought he found the answer his son and his right hand man died in a terrible freak accident. Not even Lorne could have planned that. He seems to be the ultimate planner and as the fish were falling I was like how in the world did he do that?! There is no possible way right? What I know he was responsible for was Doug. I almost thought Doug was going to survive and then he got ANNIHILATED! So sorry that 60/40 wasn't acceptable.
Now that blizzard cause all sorts of WHAT THE....
NNNNNOOOOOO Mr. Numbers! No! Totally enjoyed how him and Wrench pinned Lorne. Guns blazing and they almost had Lorne. As usual Lorne the predator easily took down his prey. Unfortunately it was a character who I wanted to see more of. Eeeerrr. "Fargo" will not be happy with that loss. Since "Fargo" wasn't happy with Hess can you imagine how pissed they will be now?
Finally....Gus. Guilty Gus. He accidentally shot Molly, fearing that it was someone else. Can you imagine his guilt now? Will it light a fire? Or put what ever fire he had out? I believe Molly will be ok. She has too. Holy cow does the Duluth Police Department have their hands full!

More+
Flag
Haha, I thought the same thing about Lorne and the fish! Will you be doing a review this week or?
Flag
I am not going to do a lengthy review since Tim did one, however I am going to do something. Stay tuned! :)
Flag
I've loved Adam Goldberg ever since his arc on Friends as Chandler's crazy roommate (I was one when that aired, and the dude still looks exactly the same). Sad to see him kick it.

As for what the show is really saying, I think we'll have to wait until the ending to really know. Right now everyone who attempts to fight the darkness is failing, but Malvo is reveling in the darkness and it seems to be working for him. If he makes it out of this alive, and if Molly dies, then at its heart this is a deeply bleak show. Which the story from last week (kidney dude) would support.

Goddamnit though, either way it's great TV.
Flag
You remember a TV show, you saw when you were one year old?
That's impressive.
Flag
Wonder what the cops are gonna think when they discover the guy they shot a million times was taped to a chair?
Flag
Before Malvo turned off his police scanner, he heard a cop saying that it was the "weirdest suicide-by-cop" he'd ever scene, so they seem a bit too dumb to figure out that it was all a setup.
Flag
Sounded, to me, like they were beginning a cover-up. They'll never admit that he was taped.
Flag
I guess they will say, he is taped to a chair alright! ya!
Flag
Right?! "Uh, oops?"
Flag
He planted the gun in the kid's backpack so it would get found at school, prompting an investigation of the house, which will result in the hammer, photograph, and panties being discovered (by his wife, if not the police).
Flag
Another cracking episode. But all that snow abouts' and it's clearly (!) fake windscreen suff!
Lester does my head in. That idiot has had so many chances at leaving, an yet there he is in misguided revenge mode still. WTF! Thank God the wife's drawers weren't a keepsake to sniff when 'lonely'. Giving that kid a gun to find is a worry on many levels. You can only pray it's not loaded still because he's got to have enemies aplenty at school in mind or otherwise.
The oddest thing was how relatively little Molly appeared and/or had to do with events. That is beyond possibly shooting a mechanic in the snow before her numb nuts love interest cop shot her! Though she has to be jacketed up, so I'm not fearful for her life. In fact it makes a welcome change for someone in a cop show to get shot in the bullet proof vest and go down in realistic fashion. And not be all that really stings; after getting straight up away, running blocks and still getting their guy.
Malvo remains firmly in my top 5 of cool as cucumber nut job hit men. If only he could be in the Saul Goodman spin off as his go to clean up guy that'd be fantastic. Goldberg was excellent as Mr Numbers and I'm peeved at both his demise and giving in to Malvo's questioning. Billy Bob said he looks like Mr Burns when he's nekkid about his home and, it's pretty much all I can envisage now when I see Malvo - namely a younger Mr Burns creeping after his prey!
I felt most sorry for Oliver Platt's Milos tonight. All the poor schmuck did was find a bunch of loot (like A Simple Plan) , but less typically, make good from it and then as per pay hugely. He should've been Jewish to have all that guilt so readily on hand and at least have been able to make some gefilte fish at the end. Oi Vey!
If Mr. Wrench bought it by Molly's hand, I can only wonder what fleet of gun toting morons will be sent to fill his lofty shoes - Mr Mai Tai et al. I assume.
More+
Flag
The gun Lester gave Chazz's son wasn't loaded, he checked the barrel while in the basement prior to placing it in the bag. He put the gun in the backpack to ensure the evidence he planted would be found by the police without actually having to accuse Chazz of any crimes himself. The child will take the gun out at school, and the police will have to investigate his home - and what do you think they'll find when looking about Chazz's gun collection?e Chazz's son is not loaded, he checked the barrel in the basement, prior to placing it in the bag. The reason he put it there
Flag
Maybe. He did pause after checking the gun (twice I think) and the camera drifted off. Now whether this was thinking about what to do with it or putting bullets in the gun, you never can quite tell with Lester. That moron likes to go the extra mile...to jail! Keeps it interesting for next week. But you're probably right.
Flag
Holy sh*t they just killed half the bloody cast! This was a riot of an episode. Lester's escapade was absolutely ridiculous in the best possible way.
The way everyone appeared and disappeared into the blizzard was mesmeric to watch and that whole scene really made it hit home to me just how dirty my laptop screen is.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members