We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Fargo Community
Monday 10:00 PM on FX

Those of you who watched all of Fargo's first season will likely remember the super eerie and quietly terrifying scene from the penultimate episode, "A Fox, a Rabbit, and a Cabbage" in which Lorne Malvo sat in Lou Solverson's diner, ate a slice of pie, and pressed Lou for details as to where he might find one Lester Nygaard. 

During their conversation, Lou recalled the details of a case from back when he was a state trooper, a deadly massacre that occurred in 1979 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. 

“Bodies?” Malvo inquired.

“Yes sir, one after another,” Lou replied. “Probably if you stacked them high, could’ve climbed to the second floor. I saw something that year I ain’t ever seen before or ever since. I’d call it animal except animals only kill for food.” And then he asked Malvo, “Sioux Falls, ever been?”

It was a curious exchange, one that led some fans to wonder whether Malvo could've been responsible for the carnage Lou had witnessed so many years before. But while the killer's (or killers') identity is still unknown, it likely won't remain that way, as Fargo's newly announced second season will take place in 1979 in Sioux Falls, executive producer and writer Noah Hawley announced at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Monday. 

"If you were paying attention in Season 1, we made a lot of references to Sioux falls," Hawley said. "That was deliberate." He went on to confirm that Fargo's next "10-hour movie" will pre-date the original film, with the bulk of the story set in Luverne, Minnesota. 

And yes, it will indeed involve a younger Lou Solverson, one who's 33 years old and recently back from Vietnam, Hawley said. He noted that we'll also meet Molly's mother, who was not a character in Season 1, and that we "may learn what happened to her." 

However, even though we will see a young Molly, casting Allison Tolman in any Season 2 role is basically off the table. 

"I spoke to Allison Tolman this morning and said that unless she could channel her four-year-old self, we wouldn't be able to have her in Season 2—which is a crime that you should all be very mad at us for," Hawley said before explaining that "it felt like it would just be disingenuous."

As for how the events of Season 2 might unfold, Hawley—who's currently breaking the story with a team of writers—mostly stayed mum. But he did tease that "there are a lot of clues left in the first season" that a re-watch might help with. And viewers will have plenty of time for that, as Fargo likely won't return to the air until fall 2015 at the earliest.

There is one more tidbit to keep in mind, though: Hawley noted that out of all the films in the Coen brothers' back catalog, Season 1 largely drew from FargoNo Country for Old Men, and A Serious Man, and revealed that Season 2 will pay homage to FargoMiller's Crossing, and The Man Who Wasn't There. Then he put forth a challenge: "Let the internet speculation begin." You heard the man, hit the comments!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/14/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

32 Comments
Comments (32)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i am happy it turned out to be a better series than true detective. actually fargo is one of the eeriest series i have ever watched. soundtrack is also great. just like other people, i too was aware of the various references to sioux falls and wondered what that "it" was. i hope that season 2 will be as good as the 1st one.
Flag
I know it is a little cheesy but I would look past that and would love to see Alison play here mother
Flag
definately gonna be watching season 2 when it starts
Flag
regardless of when they decide to air season two i will surely be watching!
Flag
Its just too bad that Keith Carradine can't get in a time machine so he could play the role of "Lou" again.
Flag
He really needs his own show. He is so effortless and quietly powerful.
Flag
Lou Salverson yes! He was one of my fav characters in Fargo and the 'chat' with Malvo was brilliant... I always find funny that the image used by Fargo (and shown here) to illustrate Lou vs. Malvo shows them sitting at a table while the actual scene happened with Lou serving Malvo at the bar.
Flag
Allison Tolman could play Molly's mom !
Flag
So any bets on who's gonna play the young Lou?
Flag
Great news, I was hoping they would do this.
Flag
So gets to play a young Keith Carradine?
Those are some mighty big shoes to fill. There is a lot riding on that casting.
Flag
It's interesting that they're keeping both seasons and the movie connected, but fall of 2015 is pretty far away.
Flag
Well, this sounds a lot better than bringing Raising Arizona to TV and calling it Fargo. (The earlier tv.com report made it sound like that, kind of.)

I started watching the this series mostly because of the actors, and I suppose that'll be what makes me decide to watch "Fargo 2" or not. As for Tolman, I hope she was asking as a courtesy before committing to another good project, because I want to see her do well.
Flag
Look for some of my episode discussions!! I think Fargo was my favorite show this season!
Flag
Oh man I remember when I made a comment yesterday about being upset that "Fargo" was renewed and being hit with it'll be all new characters... and then this happens and reveals that I was right to be a tad upset about them trending on popularity just to continue lining their pockets.

I mean the phrase "I suggest a re-watch" alone will bost DVD sales like 7%
Flag
Ah, the feeling that is the superposition of joy and sorrow. Joy because Fargo will be back and undoubtedly my favorite show of fall 2015; sorrow because it is so damn far down.
Flag
Oh great, so basically it's all new actors and ripping of other Coen films as they can't think of something new themselves. Miller's Crossing was shite and unless there's an interest in bowling in the town of old this sounds similarly pungent. I now have as much dread for this as True Detective.
Flag
Have you even watch the first season before doing any judgement on something we haven't seen yet? Fargo may be based on Coens' movies but it felt more fresh and fun than any new show this season. I can't wait for the next season!
Flag
My point of view is coming from having seen the first season. I liked it a lot - except for bits of the ending - and that's why I'm troubled over changing such a great cast with, what sounds like, a hotchpot second outing.
Flag
What the... I can't even...
Flag
You need a hug!
Flag
So this show's going to be about leeching off different Coen movies each year is it? All the while staying in a setting superficially similar to Fargo? That's stupid.
Flag
Well - yippee - Fargo is not dead ! Well - phooey - I have to wait over a year to see it !
Flag
Excellent news! One of the best seasons I've ever seen and I was hoping they'd head in this direction for S2. Can't wait!
Flag
Yes yes and yes!!! This is exactly want I wanted to see!!
Flag
Yay! While watching Fargo I kept on thinking that this "event" from the 70's would make for a great season and now I have my wish :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members