A Fargo Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on FX

Those of you who watched all of Fargo's first season will likely remember the super eerie and quietly terrifying scene from the penultimate episode, "A Fox, a Rabbit, and a Cabbage" in which Lorne Malvo sat in Lou Solverson's diner, ate a slice of pie, and pressed Lou for details as to where he might find one Lester Nygaard. 

During their conversation, Lou recalled the details of a case from back when he was a state trooper, a deadly massacre that occurred in 1979 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. 

“Bodies?” Malvo inquired.

“Yes sir, one after another,” Lou replied. “Probably if you stacked them high, could’ve climbed to the second floor. I saw something that year I ain’t ever seen before or ever since. I’d call it animal except animals only kill for food.” And then he asked Malvo, “Sioux Falls, ever been?”

It was a curious exchange, one that led some fans to wonder whether Malvo could've been responsible for the carnage Lou had witnessed so many years before. But while the killer's (or killers') identity is still unknown, it likely won't remain that way, as Fargo's newly announced second season will take place in 1979 in Sioux Falls, executive producer and writer Noah Hawley announced at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Monday. 

"If you were paying attention in Season 1, we made a lot of references to Sioux falls," Hawley said. "That was deliberate." He went on to confirm that Fargo's next "10-hour movie" will pre-date the original film, with the bulk of the story set in Luverne, Minnesota. 

And yes, it will indeed involve a younger Lou Solverson, one who's 33 years old and recently back from Vietnam, Hawley said. He noted that we'll also meet Molly's mother, who was not a character in Season 1, and that we "may learn what happened to her." 

However, even though we will see a young Molly, casting Allison Tolman in any Season 2 role is basically off the table. 

"I spoke to Allison Tolman this morning and said that unless she could channel her four-year-old self, we wouldn't be able to have her in Season 2—which is a crime that you should all be very mad at us for," Hawley said before explaining that "it felt like it would just be disingenuous."

As for how the events of Season 2 might unfold, Hawley—who's currently breaking the story with a team of writers—mostly stayed mum. But he did tease that "there are a lot of clues left in the first season" that a re-watch might help with. And viewers will have plenty of time for that, as Fargo likely won't return to the air until fall 2015 at the earliest.

There is one more tidbit to keep in mind, though: Hawley noted that out of all the films in the Coen brothers' back catalog, Season 1 largely drew from FargoNo Country for Old Men, and A Serious Man, and revealed that Season 2 will pay homage to FargoMiller's Crossing, and The Man Who Wasn't There. Then he put forth a challenge: "Let the internet speculation begin." You heard the man, hit the comments!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/17/2014

Season 1 : Episode 10

32 Comments
Follow this Show
Members