A Fargo Community
Monday 10:00 PM on FX

I've waiting a couple of days and have found that a review or a discussion hasn't been started yet so I thought I might try.

Boy oh boy. Even though this episode was not exciting as the first a lot happened!
We've got two new guys rolling into town (played by Adam Goldberg and Russell Harvard). Looks like they mean business. They go over to Hess' shop get details and go looking for the guy that off'ed Hess. They end up at the strip club where it happened and find a surly "I'm better than you" guy who matches the description of the culprit. TeamBusiness takes him back to Hess' shop and find out he is not the guy. No worries though Goldberg and Harvard just drill a hole in the iced over lake and dump Surly into it, still alive.

Lester is out of the hospital and now has to mourn the loss of his wife. He has a wound on his hand that looks like a gunshot wound. I didn't realize this happened in the first place, I'm not even sure that it is from a gunshot. Seems mysterious. Wherever it came from it is a reminder of what happened and looks like to be irritating Lester. He tries and hides it from his brother and even the police. His brother Chaz offers Lester to stay at his place and in the same sentence to sell the house. Lester says no to both but eventually does stay at Chaz's and even mentions he may sell his house. Which Chaz seems a little overly excited by that.

Seems like everyone in Bemidji had a funeral to attend because we not only saw a glimpse of Lester's wife's but now we are taken to Vern's (still mad about his death). Molly feels the need to help out and even try to provide some comfort to Vern's ready to pop wife. She then asks New Sheriff Bill about questioning Lester again. Bill suggests there is no way Lester could be involved in such a thing. Even stating that Lester couldn't handle girls' monthlies. However Molly pushes and he agrees to go chat with Lester, but he'll do the talking. At Lester's Bill begins to soft question Lester with Molly trying to ask real questions. Lester fidgets, acts distracted and weird especially when Molly mentions Hess, his conversation in the hospital with a strange man and Bill reminds him that Hess use to bully him. Motive in her brain, I'm sure. Bill basically says ok good enough I'll drink your Yummy Grape Juice and Molly leaves with a "what the hell just happened" face. Bill later tells Molly his mind is made up and Lester is in the clear. Don't bother him any more and try following up on my "cutthroat world of regional trucking" drifter theory. Molly is definitely smarter than her colleagues and isn't drinking Lester's Grape Juice. She goes and finds Lester at the local pharmacy, where he is trying to get ointment for his "wound" and persists she needs answers. Lester leaves the pharmacy while telling Molly she is harassing him and gets in his wife's car because his is in the shop. Or is it? Poor Molly. It seems like she is taking Vern's death a lot harder than his own wife. It's pretty clear she is bound and determined to get to the bottom of this case. She is trying to convey this to her "you need to quit and work for me" Dad when Bill comes in with his panties in a bunch. Bill takes Molly off the case because he knows she went behind his back and went at Lester again. I'm not too worried about it because she is still on the naked guy in the woods case which will eventually lead into Vern's

Now we have Billy Bob Thorton's mischievous Lorne. He goes to the Duluth post office to get a package containing a book and I.D. Loved this scene, the banter was fun and uneasy at the same time. Good thing he and the post guy came to an understanding without violence. ;) Lorne then goes to the supermarket and meets with its owner. Apparently this guy thinks he is the next Sam Walton and is being blackmailed for a very specific amount. Lorne has been hired to flesh out the blackmailer. Before he leaves he meets Mr. Milo's not too bright son and that Milvo's Ex-wife is out for half his money. Lorne goes over to the Exes home, meets her personal bronzed trainer and gets info on Milvo's funds. Later Lorne is in his hotel room looking at the ransom note (with bronzer on it) and listening to a taped conversation. It's Lester's call about needing help. He is interrupted by Milvo's right hand man "The Fire Hydrant". FH tells Loren to get out of town because he can handle his bosses business. Lorne responds by taking a dump in the toilet right in front of him. Basically that says "I don't give s***".

Some Thoughts
— Goldberg (love him) and Harvard's conversation in sign language was very entertaining. I'm wondering if some of those signs are real because they were pretty suggestive and funny! I know Harvard is deaf IRL so....maybe? I'd love to know what they were saying, they seem to have great chemistry and a good partnership. Oh and their character names are Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench.

— Chaz was very eager to help Lester sell his house, almost seemed like he was "pitching" but also maybe implying he knows something else up. His delivery is a sketchy.

— Oh we saw into Gus Grimly's home life. Interesting neighbor he's got there....

— We do see Lester grieving. Is he crying because he lost his wife, feels guilty or is afraid of being caught? He is trying his best to lie but it doesn't seem like he is good at it. Or is he so bad he is good?

— It doesn't surprise me that Lorne taped his conversation with Lester. Why listen to it over and over?

— Why is Bill so convinced it is not Lester? Is he really that blind? Naive?

— What Team are you rooting for? TeamMolly TeamLester?

Ok, that was a ton! Your turn to discuss... Go!
Comments (45)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Again the guys on cable have got it right. Get some A-list actors and put together a short run season of a show. 10 eps. sounds about right and so far I've really enjoyed it. The days of long running serials are numbered.
Flag
FX Makes The Hardest Choice: Sacrificing The Status Quo of SOA And Justified To Play For The Long Run

Knocking It Out of Any Previous Ballpark. There has been nothing like Fargo that has ever been on television before. The Coen brothers have done the seemingly impossible. Risking the Fargo movie brand and adapting it to television. There was nothing like the movie Fargo. The safe bet was to let the movie live on as a masterpiece within the pantheon of the greatest movies of all time. What they have done is nothing short of genius. Using the same black humor of the movie - including short-scenes, using the winter motif as an actual character and making small towns with simple folk dispel the notion they are all stereotypes - they have capitalized risk into the best show on television.

The Golden Age Of Television Continues. The greatest movie creators are shifting toward the small screen. Unburdened with the shackles of trying to develop story lines and characters in a 90 minute format; the serialized ten hours, allows them greater creativity than they had within the movie construct.

SOA And Justified Now Look Antiquated. In business it's called creative destruction. It's also called cannibalization. But any great business - or running a network for the matter - creative destruction and cannibalization - is necessary for long-term prosperity. And the timing is perfect. As SOA and Justified enter their final seasons, FX knows people will continue to watch the legacy shows and they will still be looking for what's next. The legacy shows will still be must-see television to see how each ends. But they now have a more rational succession path. HBO didn't plan far enough ahead when its marque shows ended. And they suffered for it. FX is not making the same mistake.

They Also Continue to Dominate An Important Age Demographic. Fargo's actors are made up - mostly - by 45 to 54 relevant actors. This age demographic has money to spend and continues to grow due to the rising skewing of the baby-boomer generation and groups influenced by baby-boomers. It's not the luck of the draw. it's clearly a well-thought out plan.

But All Of This Is Moot, Unless The Show Is Great And Groundbreaking. And Fargo is both. Besides the business accolades mentioned; Fargo is highly likely - assuming it maintains the same high quality for the next eight episodes - destined to be nominated and/or win Emmys for the show and its actors.
More+
Flag
Great thoughts!
Flag
I got a very Hannibal indulging his obsession with Will vibe from Lorne listening to Lester's message over and over again. Just enjoying the results of his manipulations.

I think Bill is a combination of stupid and unwilling to believe someone he has known his whole life could be guilty of all of this, Molly, while she is totally correct, she does actually need to take a step back to see some more of the big picture. Heck, Bill probably put her, totally accidentally in the right avenue of finding Lorne who would so turn on Lester. If all of these are over an hour, I give forty five more minutes before Molly happens to intersect the guilt ridden call from...Colin Hank's character who I don't know if I have any idea of what his name is.

That is interesting that the actor is actually deaf, I was vaguely waiting for them to start talking after screwing with Hess' lawyer. I am having a weird feeling that the frozen guy might have been a person chosen by those guys' bosses because again Molly is totally right that this is all connected.
Flag
It certainly seems that Saul Goodman was a better lawyer than he is Sheriff in his new life.
It seems fairly obvious that Molly will continue her investigation regardless of what her new boss thinks. Especially since the old Sheriff thought she should have been the one to take over after him.

Lorne is really good at convincing people to do the wrong thing, to avoid violence. It's quite a talent.

I think Lester was crying because he is lost in unknown territory and doesn't know what to do. The only one he can confide in is Lorne, and I think he realizes that that would be a very bad idea.

Listening to the tapes. I think that is his favorite entertainment. He had a whole collection of tapes. He probably has a whole library of people he has corrupted, which he listens to for fun. He probably regrets not having a tape of the traffic stop. That was a particularly good one.

Bill has convinced himself that it is not Lester because he doesn't want change. He likes things the way they are, especially now that he is Sheriff.

TeamMolly of course.
Flag
Nice job on the review JenMo73 and if you continue to write them I will read them.
Flag
I will definitely! It might be a day or two behind but keep your eye out!
Flag
Good review. I am glad someone did it. The second episode has dropped in terms of quality and pace compare to the premiere. I regard the premiere one of the best I have seen and on par with shows like breaking bad. I was a little disappointed because the premiere had my standards up very high.

I will still give it a pass since it is the second episode. I hope it will rise again the next few episodes.

Billy Bob Thorton is turning up to be my favorite and I hope to see more of some people like Kate Walsh.
Flag
Yes, I would like to see more of her as!
Flag
Looking forward to your episode three review. I liked it more than episode two and happy we are back on track. We got to see Kate Walsh.
Flag
Just hit the publish button!
Flag
Well! Need an edit button!
Flag
The episode had to slow down as the little town will be out of residents at the rate it wa going
Flag
I does not always have to be murder or killing to make things interesting :-)
Flag
This show is so good.
Flag
The wound on Lester`s hand is from buckshot from when Lorne shot the sheriff (but not the deputy .... sorry had too) Lester was on his knees at the time with his hands up and his was hit. That's why he has to hide it as it would throw off his story.
Lesters story was that he was knocked out in the basement while the sheriff was shot upstairs. So how could he have a buckshot wound if he was downstairs at the time of the shooting?
Flag
Thanks for the clarification and the song that is now in my head! :) Its true he needs to hide it but wouldn't his hospital chart note the wound? And at one point his hands where on the table in view of Molly and Bill . Maybe she didn't notice and of course Bill was off trying to think of Hubba Bubba.
Flag
Hubba Bubba was some nasty stuff. A big lump of sugar with artificial flavouring and just a little bit of bubble gum in it. You had to chew it for twenty minutes or more before you could get any good bubbles.
Flag
Good review Jen, keep it up.

Who was your MVP?
What did you think of the music at the end?

— Goldberg and Harvard: I would have liked subtitles

— Chaz was very eager to help Lester sell his house: I felt the same, but I think it was about money. I wouldn't be surprised if his wife is a Realtor

— Gus Grimly's home life: Kinda depressing, but he has a nice view

— Lester grieving: I think he did love his wife, but I think its more a mix of genuine grief and fear of being caught

— Listening to the tape: Not sure yet. Possibly checking it with a plan to blackmail

— Why is Bill so convinced it is not Lester: Because he's a dimwit with an ego

— What Team are you rooting for: TeamLorne
Flag
Thanks!
MVP? I'm sure it will always be Lorne. ;) His hairpiece is terrible BTW.
Music? Was that something from the bible? It seemed almost peaceful. Like making peace with death? Deep.
I think they purposely didn't do the subtitles to make us feel "involved". Like we were there. But yes I would have prefers to know.
Flag
His hairpiece could be "The Beard!"
Flag
Why did you have to bring that up?! *curls into ball and cries*
Flag
Thanks for starting a discussion! Unfortunately I think their wasn't enough discussion on the premiere episode review which is why tv.com seems to have decided to not review in on a weekly basis.

This episode fell a little flat for me after that stellar premiere, but overall was still entertaining. I could really watch Billy Bob Thorton's Lorne Malvo all day, if the series was just about him travelling from town to town as a hired gun, I would be entirely okay with that.

It's also fun to watch Lester try to come to terms with the situation he's in, and this 'new' person he become. I'm just wondering how long the series will be able to sustain his character development? There seemed to be minimal throughout this episode, despite being entertaining, but since he's a main character I need it to be a lot more than just that.

Molly is certainly a worthy adversary, but the repetitive nature of her character in this episode made her become tedious very very quickly. It'll be interesting to see if the series will be able to maintain audience's suspension of disbelief in regards to Molly's investigation into Lester considering this was episode two and she is already very suspicious of him. I imagine she'll have to be thrown of his scent somehow or distracted by something else...

Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench (Adam Goldberg's and Russell Harvard's characters', respectively) had an imposing introduction in this episode, and understandably so, considering the characters they are based off of from the film. I just want to know a whole lot more about the whole 'Fargo' situation though. I know these character's were sent from people as Fargo who were in connection with Sam Hess and whatever illegal activities he was involved in, but what were they exactly? Why was Sam so important, and why does his death need to be avenged so badly? I'm worried that these bigger picture questions aren't really what the series is interested in answering by the end of it's run. It seems more like they'll be focused on it being about Lester and his story, so it might mean these questions won't be answered, which I personally would be very disappointed about.
More+
Flag
Are their characters based off the film? Which one of them was "funny-looking"? I feel they could get away with having Javier Bardem's Anton Chigurh drive into town one week or a van of female assasins the next. I'd say they've gone off page as far as the movie is concerned.
Flag
It's pretty obvious that some of the major characters in the series are loosely based off of those depicted in the film.

Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman) basically replaces Jerome Lundegaard (William H Macy), as does Molly Solverson (Allison Tolman) with Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand).

It seems Mr. Numbers (Adam Goldberg) and Mr. Wrench (Russell Harvard's) are loosely based off of the two criminal characters from the film, Carl Showalter (Steve Buscemi) and Gaear Grimsrud (Peter Stormare) as well.

There are many characters that aren't in the film at all but are in the series, like Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thorton), but there's still enough to say that's there's a strong connection between the two.
Flag
I guess the question is how far off from the movie is it before it's considered it's own thing? One guy sells insurance the other used cars, one tries to ransom his wife, the other kills her in a fit of rage or orders the murder of someone else indirectly through suppressed rage and a strangers urging. Is Numbers or Wrench gonna end their days in a woodchipper? If they don't is it still they same story/characters as the movie?
Flag
Well thanks! Yes I did notice that the preview review was light on remarks and kind of figure that was why as well. You bring up some great points. I, too would like to know more about the group behind Mr. Hand and Mr. Wrench and exactly where Hess' dealings. It obviously serious enough to send these guys to look into it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members