A Farscape Community
Syfy (ended 2004)

I'm delighted to have finally caught up with you all for this Farscape re-watch, it's been one of my favorite shows for over ten years and it's an honor to be a part of it. As always, if you happen to enjoy reading this, or any other post in the TV.com communities, don't forget to give it a heart. Thanks.

So, here goes...

This week we start with a somewhat cold-open, as we see Chiana and D'Argo walking through a forest with a group of towns folk following and throwing rocks at them. Three guesses as to what or who Chiana might have done to deserve it. From the ensuing conversation it's obvious that she has been jeopardising the unity of the clans by being an “indelicate whore”, which seems kind of harsh. With Chiana being banished from the planet Aeryn puts her in the prowler and sends her back to Moya – or so she thinks!

Aeryn meanwhile has made a new friend in the form of a name-less child who happened to be hanging around the prowler before Chiana was shipped off. So Aeryn and the kid take a walk into town, but something isn't right with Aeryn when she starts hallucinating a fire-fight in the market place, disturbed by the visions she contacts John to tell him about her “really bad bribe”. This leads John to explain that it's a “vibe”, before realising how much he likes it when she tries to speak English and so he once again reaches for the “Distillate of Lakah”, meanwhile Aeryn's visions become much more vivid.

After the credits we are back in the forest with Chiana and D'Argo, yes this is one of those skipping-through-time episodes. This time though we see Chiana has landed the prowler and is sneaking through the forest when she stumbles upon Sikozu who is getting busy with Zerbat, the son of one of the tribal leaders – the guys on this planet must be doing something right!

Back to D'Argo and now he and a tribal leader, Gaashah are discussing the political situation between the clans. Gaashah is in line to become “Prefect”, a leader of all the clans, but as with all political situations it is pointed out that if he dies before he rises to the position then one of his rivals will get the honor of becoming the next Prefect.

Crichton, who is in a chamber talking to the current Prefect and persuading him to let the rest of them stay, after banishing Chiana. The Prefect explains the large amount of time wasted electing a new leader every half a cycle and suggests that fighting for the position could actually be simpler.

As John leaves the chamber to check in with the crew he bumps into someone rather sinister looking who works for the Prefect, but as the two are passing each other on the rather precarious stairway the mysterious chap grabs Crichton by the throat and holds him over the edge. After stating his distrust of “outsiders” he releases him and warns him about how slippery the stairs can be. I suspect this rude individual could be a bad guy!

Suddenly we hear gunfire, Crichton and D'Argo race towards the town where the commotion is happening, people are being shot and one of those people is Gaashah. D'Argo comes into view weapon drawn but he's gunned down by the assassin who then turns to the camera to reveal the shooter was, in fact, Aeryn!

After the commotion has died down D'Argo thankfully, but let's be honest it's not unexpectedly, not seriously harmed is telling Crichton and the others that Aeryn shot him. This does not please a rival tribal leader who now accuses the whole crew of being assassins. A priest (some brilliant work by Jim Hensons people) points out that, with Gaashah dead it falls to his son, Zerbat to decide on the fate of the outsiders. Crichton volunteers to go look for Aeryn, but he won't be going alone. Zerbat is going with John, to hunt down Aeryn, the person who murdered his father.

Sikozu worried about the two of them inevitably follows and helps to keep the peace between the two of them. The group decide to split up and widen the search, but after Sikozu and Zerbat have walked away John decides to have a sit down, only for Aeryn to appear behind him. They are not alone though, the Priest is also there and he informs them of his suspicions that Aeryn has been used. The Priest tries to helps Aeryn remember what happened to her but it is seeing John swat a bug that bites him on his neck that triggers her memories, she was bitten by a bug too, however the planet has no insects. As the memories of the terrible massacre come back to her John has a vision of himself shooting the Priest – he is the next assassin!

The Priest cures both Crichton and Aeryn of the bugs mind-control-poision by making them inhale some smoke from a fire (???) just as Zerbat and Sikozu show up. Naturally Zerbat wants to shoot Aeryn in the face but the Priest convinces him, with some assistance from Sikozu, that the whole thing has been a set up.

Meanwhile, in the Prefects chamber, Chiana has been kidnapped by the Prefect and the shady dude, E'Alet, who threatened John earlier. As it turns out the bugs are the only things in the universe not attracted to Chiana! It also turns out that when someone is bitten by one of E'Alet's bugs he can persuade them to do things they don't want to do. After some compensatory haggling with the Prefect E'Alet produces more bugs from a gland running down the side of his face whilst Chiana once again goes blind.

Aeryn and John are bitten again as they make their way towards the Prefects chamber, this time they both have a vision, of them shooting each other. They are ambushed by E'Alet as they reach Chiana and, in a somewhat underwhelming fire-fight, easily dispatch him, except that he isn't dead and neither of them have the will power to finish him off, instead pointing their weapons at each other. They struggle to hold on just long enough for the others to come running in and stop them. E'Alet then rises gun in hand, but prior to getting off a shot the Priest attacks him from behind with a rather cool circular saw that's attached to his Rygel-esque floating throne, and decapitates E'Alet. The Prefect has been found out and rather than face a trial he decides to take the cowards way out and jumps through a window to his death.

With everything wrapped up and having seen Sikozu turning down Zerbat's offer to stay with him we close out on Aeryn crouched down in front of the graves of those she killed and in what is hopefully the first step in seeing some reconciliation between them, John walks up to stand alongside her and places his hand, gently, comfortingly against the side of her face.

Some Farscape fun facts:
* Did anyone think that the Priest looked kind of familiar? That's because apparently he was based on Father Jack from the classic UK TV series Farther Ted.

* Prefect (about Aeryn) “Seems a bit moody”, John “Man, you should meet her mother.” Even though this version of Crichton never actually met Aeryn's mother.
* This was the last episode in the series that doesn't feature Scorpius.
* The Priests floating throne was intended to be used for Rygel in Season 5, alas we all know how that turned out!
222 Comments
Comments (222)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular

Another 200 + comments on a Farscape post!

Flag
it is too bad we don't have one with the Farscape characters dancing.
Flag
Well,this is the best I could do!

Flag
Since you mentioned Rygel was going to get the priest's throne...

I think he should have this one
Flag
Don't know if this will work, it's TrevPlatt, I can't seem to log on to the site, I think some of the servers are fucked again. I've been having trouble all fucking day. Any chance you can Message Jessica and ask if they know what's going on?
Flag
I can check. i have been on and off today. Make sure you don't log in through Facebook - that is where a lot of the issues here start.
Flag
I never log on through Facebook (I'm not a FB fan). It seems to be working today, so I'll see how it goes. I suspect I'll get a reply from Jessica on Monday saying something along the lines of there was a server problem... again! Oh well, never mind.
Flag
@edshrinker she's told me before when they were have some server issues, but it's obviously a cite problem because I'm not the only one affected. I don't really care as long as they get it fixed.
Flag
If she admits it is actually the site's fault I will be amazed
Flag
WTF!!!
Never mind, it seems to have spontaniously worked, I'll message her myself.
It seems as if the site only works if I'm viewing a community post, any other page, including the front page and it's as if I'm not logged on! Weird.
Flag
Having the same problems.I have to log in each time,even if I visit another site for 2 minutes and come back here,still need to log in 4-5 times before it goes through.Plus I don't see people's Avatars and my notifications are not working properly.
Did everyone on staff here all go on vacation at the same time????Who's minding the store????
Flag
This is not the best episode,again it had that Star Trek vibe of the crew beaming down and something goes wrong and then the crew has to figure out the truth about what is really going on.And since it felt Star Trek-ish,it's a kind of a coincidence Chrichton spoke to D'argo in a Scotty accent a couple of times.Maybe the writers did that on purpose knowing the story had a very Star Trek feel.
Didn't like the atmosphere of the planet and felt the planet's natives were boring and again,seen these types of aliens plenty of times on Star Trek.The Priest was more interesting,more Farscape-ish.
I don't know,this was a bland and dull episode for me and nothing sticks out to me except the obvious topless Sikozu.A so-so episode.
And again,Chiana was the source of trouble,sheesh,where's Rygel when you need him.
A very good recap,TrevPlatt.

Flag
Ah, you understand me.....
Flag

Sikozu:''My boobs are down here,not up here with my eyes!''

Flag

Aeryn:''You snore too loud in your sleep!!!!''

Crichton:''Your PMS is driving me crazy!!!!''

Flag
Winona and her sister.
Flag

Flag
This was one of the most unusual Farscapes ever made. It didn't always quite fit with the tenor of the show, but it did advance the plot. It introduced Sikozu's sexuality and exploited Chiana's. And it made the love/hate relationship twixt Aeryn and John perfectly visible.

I'm still on the fence on this one. I think the writers had a very good idea they couldn't quite pull off. But I won't complain. Every minute of Farscape is a pleasure to me.
Flag
with so little to compare to other shows, every little bit counts. This is one of the reason the SYFY channel annoys me so often with programming. Even the shows that lasted longer (seaosn wise but maybe not much more episode wise), that I liked, Eureka, Warehouse 13 (and this was an odd show but loved it anyway) never seemed to get the fullness they deserved with shortened seasons and the incosistant knowledge of when it would be on again before finally ending. the only thing on syfy I still watch is Haven, which I love, but been so many, is it coming back, ok, now it is, but when and why the delays. Yet they bend over backwards to give us such quality tv (sarcasm) as Sharknado.
Flag
The only comparing you can do it with other scifi shows of the past. At this moment there is really nothing that compares to the real scifo show. I also liked Warehouse 13 and Eureka a lot, but they were different shows. The only ones to compare Farscape with are shows like BSG, B5, ST, Above and Beyond and the like.
Flag
I couldn't agree with you more. syfy keeps treating all of their inventive Sci-fi shows like they might catch something if they show them the slightest bit of affection, whilst disease infected bullshit like Sharknado gets asked to the prom!
Flag
Overall, it was an okay episode for me. Some hallucinations, a bit of shooting, sex addicts, nude Sikozu, alien planets with humanoids (we've had that discussion before) and a problem. Why do star travellers never go to planets with no problems?
Flag

''Why do star travellers never go to planets with no problems?''
It's called the 'Star Trek Syndrome' !LOL
Flag
That was always one of my main problems with ST, the fact that ALL their away missions included some/most of their senior officers. There is no fleet in the world that would do that.
Flag
I thought about mentioning ST in the comment and even looked up the name of the episodes with the holiday/recreation planets they also got in troubles.
Flag

Shore Leave

Flag
Kirk has met his match.
Flag
unlike Star Trek though, all the characters on Farscape are important. Trek always had redshirts.
Flag

Flag
@Rolamb Galaxy Quest is so wierd and yet i enjoy the heck out of it.
Flag
Every redshirt always makes me think of Galaxy Quest, the best Nerd/Geek film ever made.
Flag
Foxtrot always had some good ones and several that make sci-fi refrences.
Flag
"Why do star travellers never go to planets with no problems?"
It would make for a boring show.
Flag
I like to think they do go to those kinds of planets, and they just aren't interesting enough to show on the show. Like keeping a ship log. Some entries are pages long, some are one-liners. We only get the page-y ones.
Flag
If they went to a planet where Chiana, Sikozu and Aeryn walked around in bikinis and there was no plot development or any story, I may not notice the lack there of, at least in the first few viewings.
:)
Flag
You just described Baywatch!!!!
Flag
To @Rolamb...............................................
Flag
but then they would show Hasslehoff and I got shocked into turning my head and hearing some kind of story going on.
Flag
@mdoz34
There were stories on Baywatch? I was too busy watching all those women in bikinis running...........;P
Flag
not exactly, Baywatch tried to create stories instead of just letting us watch bikinis run around.
Flag
I think the only planet that wouldn't have a problem would require no sentient life forms.
Flag
The priest always turned up at the right moment at the right place. I think it was a magnificent creature by the Henson company (I suppose), but he also seemed a bit to much 'Deus ex machina' for me.

Flag
D'Argo thankfully, but let's be honest it's not unexpectedly, not seriously harmed. Any idea, without it being the obvious plot hole, why Aeryn did not succeeded in killing D'Argo but had no problems with all the others?
Flag
I was under the impression there were several injuries as well, but it could be her instinct kicked in just enough for her to not give a killing blow to a someone she saw as a friend. At the end, it takes several bug bites to force Aeryn and John to even come close to shooting each other.
Flag
I remember having heard there were 17 dead, but that might alos have been murders before that instance.

On the shooting itself we saw her reacting to D'Argo entering the scene. So let's call it bad shooting?
Flag
While realistically, people die without reason, for tv shows, mostly (I am aware of the Buffy mother thing- Whedon you bastard - love him but still hard to forgive for Wash) when characters do die, they go out doing something great or saving lives and such. So we all knew right off D'Argo was not going to die.

You could call it bad shooting, but I like to think part of her caused that shot to be just off enough that she wouldn't kill a friend.
Flag
@Rolamb Well, if your a Brown Coat I can now forgive you for your dislike of Pip... kidding, I don't hold your Pip dislike against you. LOL

I can't forgive Syfy for Farscape cancellation. And I cannot forgive Fox for their destruction of Firefly (it never had a chance the way the fucked with it).
Flag
I remember a panel Firefly panel a few years ago (yes, I'm a browncoat) where Joss answered, when asked which decision he regretted most, said it was killing Wash. I seem to remember beacuse he at that poitn thought there would be more Firefly. If he's known it were the last he wouldn't have killed him.
Flag
That could be true too Trev, the only intended victim was the next leader.
Flag
It seemed to me like a reaction shot, not accurate or intended, just "shoot at the possible threat" and hope you stop it.
Flag
Sikozu who is getting busy with Zerbat. At least you could have given us a picture of that.

Where;'s his hand? Oh Ed, aren't you jealous!
Flag
Yup. BUt dude is a prefect. I can't compete with that
Flag

This Prefect wants some boobage love too.......

Flag
The thing is, he gets a lot of ladies... it was one of those things that you think, how in the hell can this guy get laid so damn much?
Flag
Want me some Sik-o-BOOBS
Flag
You're a shrink, either deal with it or mess with his (or even her) mind.
Flag
This was basically the exact opposite of what she has to expect from Scorpious.
Flag
Poll

Flag
I meant that all the gentle tender almost chaste loving we get to see in this episode is such a stark contrast to the BDSM inclined Scorpy.
Flag
He's BDSM in the most loving of ways. LOL
Flag
He with lick up her nose to her forehead. Classic Scorpy
Flag
he strikes me as a bottom grabber, or hair, but you didn't have that option
Flag
Nope, that's not an opposite to the picture above.
Flag

For Rolamb..........................you're welcome!
Flag
I do like the happy smile.
Flag
Source of happiness for both men and women. I just saw an episode of Mythbusters tonight where they tested if bigger breasted women get bigger tips and it turned out to be true, the funny thing is, women also gave bigger tips, in fact the tips increased even more from women.
Flag
How big my tips are.........are based on how big the waitress's boobs are,the bigger the boobs,the bigger the tip!!!! Wait.....does that sound sexist.........no,wait,I mean,big tips for great service,yeah,that's it! Whew,missed a bullet there!!
Flag
Not the only one who's jealous!
Flag
before realising how much he likes it when she tries to speak English. Did we learn anywhere when and how she started to learn English? She can't have done it by listening to English conversations as the translator probe doesn't let her. Crichton is the only one speaking English but he never seemed to have been teaching her.
Flag
Crichton actually says "damn, she's trying to speak English again".
Flag
I heard it. A remark that importance (it comes back next episodes) would be to important to ignore not to have a backstory (so what happened before). As far as I remember, the story needs it when they get to earth so i understand why the writers put it in.
Flag
I never saw anything in this episode to suggest that this was when it started, I think it actually began back when Aeryn was with the other Crichton on Talyn.
Flag
Nope, they never mentioned it. I agree it needn't be visualised, but mentioning John had started learning her would have done the trick. And in case they needed some comical interlude, it also would have been helpful.
Flag
I think he was showing her his journal and star charts on Talon, as well as when he would say a word that did not translate. Either way, it would be boring to watch her learning the ABC's. But I am thinking, and cannot remember for sure, it was happening when they were not tearing each other's clothes off on Talon.
Flag
You might be right. But if they had plotted that story line better, they would have given us a few lines about staring English lesson's then. Now it's just thrown at us.
Flag
We are discussing this very thing below, or along those lines.
Flag
Saw it after I had made the comment .....
Flag
by being an “indelicate whore”, which seems kind of harsh. No, she is the sex addict who so often does not take the consequences into account.

Have I mentioned before i do not like her?
Flag
''Have I mentioned before I do not like her?'' Oh yeah!!A few times..................

I kid,I kid,Rolamb!!!!! ;) A little joke.................................hope your laughing.........................
Flag
Oh I loved DSN, I have all the DVD's. Even my son saw the series three times (he binged it once with almost a season per day).

And, of course I'm laughing at/to/about/for you.
Flag
That's great your son is studying to be a MD.How funny would it be if he walked into an operating room carrying Longclaw! ''Nurse,prepare the patient for surgery while I sharpen this blade before I cut this sucker up'' LOL
Flag
Go ahead and laugh,everyone is enjoying a good laugh................

Flag
Is DS9 next on the "revisited" list then? I've only seen a few episodes from the first Season or two.
Flag

Your son binged watched almost a season of DS9 per day!!!??!!! Hey! Whose the DS9 fanatic here,me or your son??????
Flag
that be a lot of episodes to cover
Flag
Ah well, I guess I'll have to try that one under my own steam.
Flag
@TrevPlatt
I doubt there will ever be a DS9 Revisited! Too many seasons to cover and would take a lot of energy.
Flag
@mdoz34 Yes, but that only qualifies him as a nerd.
Flag
He binged it two times :-). He'd probably know more about it hen you as his memory is phenomenal (as I have found out since he was 11......). He is a bit to smart.

But he doesn't own any memorabilia. He's still in university, studying to be a MD, so no money. Everything he's got, he got from me. For his birthday I got him a replica of Longclaw, the Jon Snow sword from GoT. He was so happy with it.
Flag
it could be a toss up, but you are called DSniner on here.
Flag
he was poking fun at us Pip lovers, he better be laughing lol
Flag
If he ain't laughing then.........................................................................

Flag
Let's tell you about the three women I've loved most in my life (next to my daughter). They are/were European and Balinese, blonde and (dark)brown and tiny and tall. Although I thought it was blonde and tall when I was young, it never proved to be.

There's one thing my type certainly does/has: smile, laugh and have a sense of humour.
Flag
Ok @Rolamb I was more curious if there was a type, hair color or such. Wasn't asking for any pictures.
Flag
I won't post picture from my former girlfriends or wife so the answer is: I know it when I see her.
Flag
@Rolamb I have to know, what does do it for you?
Flag
@DSniner: nope, still doesn't do it for me outside her Pip package.
Flag

For @Rolamb..............courtesy of Pip lovers everywhere......

Flag
2 such serious looks going on in these above pictures... lets go back to pictures of Gigi
We can put them up for Rolamb
Flag
so much so, you seemed almost obsessed Rolamb LOL
Flag
Yes, poking a little in the Pip loving community you are :-)
Flag
I have noticed that trend... lol
maybe we should send you picture messages of Pip
Flag
Thanks Trev for doing this!
Flag
Congrats Trev on getting on the front page.
Flag
That's what I am talking about!

Nice seeing you in the sweet spot on the front page, Trev! Thanks @TVcom_Editorial !

Lookin good!
Flag
Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Suck on that, fans of Game of Thrones!!! LOL
Flag
No doubt! That's for the 30 hour stretch where there were 7 GoT posts up at one time! Only topped by the 8 of the finale of HIMYM
Flag
And most are just "a bunch of fan art..." Like you can't google it yourself or something.
Then again HIMYM really pissed me off - the show, and the response, but mostly the show.
Flag
After hearing how HIMYM ended, I am glad I never got into it, but when it comes to comedies, I am weird in what I like.
Flag
It is hard when you stick with something as long as people did with that show. And then feel they were shat on.

I enjoyed it from time to time but wasn't invested in it. I just thought having the whole thing geared toward having the mother - and then spending such a sort time with her - before throwing him back to Robin was really silly.

If you want to do that - be creative and work it around to have Robin the mom somehow. That would have made more sense to me.
Flag
this just occurred to me....
John liking it when Aeryn tries to speak english.
If the translator probes instantly translate things so you can understand them, how does Aeryn even know what and how to speak any english?Everything she hears should be in her tongue.
My impression from the first episode was that it just instantly translates and all you hear is your own language.
Makes me wonder, is it like the UN, do you hear what is spoken and get it translated in real time? I think that would drive you batty. And how would you hold any real conversation?
Or can the person consciously shut down the microbes when they want?
So many questions....
Flag

Question about translaters.....too complicated........much to compute..........head hurts......boobs........in your own language?.........Quoi?..................in real time........English?.........ummmmm.......ummmmmmm............??????

Flag

;D These guys are always clowning around.
Flag
@edshrinker Rare, sure, but it does happen. I could be off base here a bit, but it has always seemed that people on sci-fi shows get along longer, if not for entire lifetimes, more often than people on comedies or dramas.
Flag
Working together 10 years and they still get along. That's rare
Flag
I have seen all of Supernatural and I cannot place this episode and I feel like I should.
Flag
Was it "Monster movie" that was black and white? It may just be the way the gif was made too. I poached that sucker because it always cracks me up
Flag
I don't remember the scene, but I do know one episode was done (at least partially) in black and white.

So I don't know if it's from that, or just some b&w blooper shot.
Flag
No I think D is right. I can't remember the season but I believe it is from the blooper reel
Flag
I think those were bloopers! I could be wrong.
Flag
I love that show!Supernatural rocks!!!
Flag
IT DID.

SN and LOST were appointment TV 9 years ago. The last 4 seasons have been at times still good TV and at times pretty terrible. More good than bad, however and I am still glad we have it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I seemed to have started an interesting topic here.
Flag
You did! It is interesting to think about how it might work. I personally find one the most clever pieces of tech in scifi. Star Trek mentions "Universal Translators" yet they never really explain how they are working when they go to other plants. Everyone just speaks English and yo uhave to assume it is being translated to their ears somehow.

Or am I missing some technobabble they gave us somewhere?
Flag
DS9 - Season 4, episode 7 - Little Green Men. Quark, Nog and Rom get transported back to Roswell, and they cannot udnerstadn humans and figure out that thier universal translator is not working. For Ferengi I guess they keep it in thier ears. They manage to reset it and now they understand humans and don't ask me how, it also allows the humans to understand them.
Flag
There were some languages the microbes didn't have access to. Like Ancient Luxan back when D'Argo was trying to get his ship from blowing up.

Maybe they hear the other language as it is - the brain just instantly gives an understanding of those noises in your native tongue.

You hear Frell and Crichton's brain just knows they are saying fuck. But everyone still hears "frell"

The audience gets a feel for that when we hear yutz and frell and tralk. We hear that but our brain knows exactly what they mean. THose are probably shared terms just like any language still recognizes and English swear work.

The audience has the microbes (in theory). They just cut out all the BS and give most of it to us in English.
Flag
The microbes are one big plot hole... they are apparently given to EVERYONE as a child so I've always wondered how anyone actually learns any language. The closest I ever got to figuring it out was that the microbes can only translate to a word you actually know... so you learn by book and voice from your native language speakers and once you know stuff then the microbes know stuff.

So in Aeryn's case I believe she was using a book or something. In which case John's microbes probably don't bother translating actual english words and he hears/interprets their raw meaning.
Flag
My answer is above. Plot hole is a bit extreme. It is an elegant way of handling how the audience hears everything in English. Unlike a Stargate where everyone just speaks english somehow.

I think I gave a pretty explanation above - it is how I always saw it anyway. The audience hears English because, well duh, we have no microbes. But as for the many species and how the microbes work, I always thought they heard each other's native tongues, but the microbes gave them instant understanding. And our brain speaks to us in our dominant language.
Flag
I think you got it right Ed, giving translators means nothing if you know no languages. you have to learn something for the microbes to translate it into what you learned. Or the microbes actually help the child learn the language. In the case of John, it was advanced enough to figure out how his brain worked and interpret. Its Sci-fi. But still comes down to how can Aeryn learn English if the microbes are always translating. If you also hear two languages, it would drive you insane. Aslo, you mentioned reading, but John can read consols on the ship, I think the microbes change that too.
Flag
It isn't the "function" that makes me scratch my head...

It's how do you learn a language as a child if you have those things in you already... since Rigel said in the pilot that most civilized beings get them either at birth or childhood (I forget). And (I thought) John mentioned he was hearing English early on.

So... you have them in your skull... how do you LEARN your core language? Unless, as I suggested, you must first learn the meaning in some language so you can interpret the translation correctly.

It's only a "thing" if you HEAR the language but just KNOW what it means.. like learning a 2nd or 3rd language in high school. Then yeh it all works out.
Flag
This is exactly why my theory is that the languages the microbes understand are sort of dialects of the native languages. That is why there are a few instances when either some or all of the members of the crew talk in their native tongue and there is no translation through the microbes. Also how D'Argo had to actually learn Ancient Luxan to make his ship work. So sort of like having each civilization choose a lingua franca (for example English for Earth), and have that programmed in the microbes, but still use French, German, and so on on the actual planet.
Flag
Well Core Language has to be taught. I am sure they have a way in that advanced of a galaxy. Only certain languages are programmed into the microbes so while you are given them at birth, I imagine they have a method for learning a core language
Flag
Wasn't Aeryn learning English from a book? I suppose there are always words and concepts that just don't translate, maybe that is we she started. Plus, if the translator microbes work instantly then would the speech be kind-of broken? I don't know, but I did wonder about it too, so you're not alone.
Flag
I just mentioned above, the mcrobes have to be translating written words too, else how would John read anything on ship consols or anything for that matter.
Flag
Its a tough dilemma for scifi to handle. As said above, when Aeryn talks I think he hears Sebacean. The microbes just make John understand it (he doesn't hear english, he hears her language bu there is instant recognition of meaning). So when she actually says an English word - he hears English and it is shocking to him. D'Argo has fumbled with a few English words too. Joh always hears him speak Luxan (but has instant understanding) ...so hearing that is weird to him too. Wait til the police officer in an upcoming ep hears D'Argo try his English (and the only 4 words he can remember).
Flag
I guess it is he hears the strangeness but his brain instantly understands, i guess that makes sense. It is hard to really get it, we are a mostly english audience, so we hear everything in english except so certain terms. I think I may be getting myself more confused.
Flag
Nice job... good recap.

I know you didn't bring this up, but I wonder why they kept making Aeryn believe she was hitting a child up to the point where she open fires? It seems even more out of character, though it is why she had a bad "bride". Just an observation.

In this episode you actually never see Rygel, though you do hear him. I am trying to think back... is there an episode that does not feature Rygel in some capacity?

I never heard of Father Ted, but than again I am in the US. But I am curious, what was it about and what is with Father Jack?

So far....
Aeryn is poisoned to create heat delirium
...has John acting like an ass towards her
...has her mind being messed with and ends up killing innocents.
and there is still more to come...
Flag
I think in general this season was a lot darker, and a lot more geared towards mind-altering of some sort. In that respect it kinda reminds me of Season 6 of Buffy. As in coming off a very difficult season, they thought they would make it lighter and ended up going to some of the darkest places yet. And it also had a very dysfunctional main pairing (although I am a complete Spuffy fan).
Flag
Was that the season Buffy went from being nearly raped by Spike to sleeping with him& That plot development made me a little mad - but I can't remember if that was season 6
Flag
That was sorta Season 7. In 6 she got resurrected and she decided to use Spike for sex to "feel," while kicking the living daylights out of him at the same time.
Flag
Yeah - the season 6 stuff was dark and kind of made sense. But when she fell "in the feels" with him I kindo f threw up my hands.

Same when they tried to force Cordelia and Angel together over in the spinoff
Flag
I tried watching Buffy, and just could not get into it, it could be the whole first season stuff. And I did make myself watch the first 5 or 6 episodes. I watched ST:TNG religiously, but when I go back now and see the first season especially, I am like, um, really... I still like it but realize the later seasons were much better. First season growing pains I guess you could say.
Flag
I have the same problem. As in I tried a rewatch of Buffy and I just can't get past the first season to get to the "good stuff"
Unfortunately Babylon 5 suffered from the same problem :(
Flag
I have never seen Babylon 5 either, one of those things that slipped under my radar when it was on and going back now is less likely to happen.
Flag
That is fair with B5. Those other shows got better while B5 had to radically change itself. The whole show is different once Sheridan takes over.
Flag
The 1st season of Buffy is widely admitted to be rough around the edges. As Farscape's was. Joss took awhile to get that "feel" that we know him so well for now.
Flag
my issue is, I heard so many good things about the show, but watching a few eps into season 1, for me, it just doesn't do it. Same thing happened with Dollhouse. But Firefly (why Wash... why dammit) and now Agents of Shield, I like. go figure.
Flag
Funding. It was all about the money. After the first season did so well they had the cash to improve later seasons. I actually like the look of season 1 more than the others, I wish they had stuck with that look/feel whilst still improving the locations and effects.
Flag
n this episode you actually never see Rygel, though you do hear him. I am trying to think back... is there an episode that does not feature Rygel in some capacity?

All the Season 3 Moya/John episodes had no Rygel (or Aeryn Crais Stark etc...)

Doz - we said it before, they put Aeryn through hell this season.
Flag
Yeah, the whole child hitting thing didn't seem to fit, I don't know why that was included. I didn't see it as important to the story and I was already concerned that the re-cap was getting too long so I left it out.
Flag
I think it was more being "influenced" than control. I think the dude was influencing her toward violence ...maybe the little girl was a trial run. He was getting in her head - literally. Seeing what he could push her to do.
Flag
Also, it was a boy. But either way, I don't get how it was a mind control thing when she never actually hit him! I just don't understand what that whole line was supposed to achieve.
Flag
@TrevPlatt Time jumping always makes me think of Quentin Tarantino. Only in this case it felt off, and than 15 mins in, they are not longer jumping around. I actually don't mind time jumping as long as it is done right.
Flag
@mdoz34 One of my only real criticisms about the episode is the initial use then complete abandonment of the time jumping. It's as if a different director took over half way through the episode.
Flag
overall though, this episode had some good things but had an overall wierd thing and the time jumping at the beginning was kind of messed up.
Flag
Images of things show her doing things as a way to manipulate her into doing it? I think that is what they were shooting for
Flag
but she never hits the child, only thinks about doing it and having a false memory. But when she commits the actual violence, she knows she does it but doesn't really remember being in control.
Flag
Everything I expected, Trev! You are a talented writer - which shows why you were able to relay an awesomely concise recap. I have come to accept I am not capable of doing these without ten thousand images.

This was perfection.
Flag
Thanks Eddy, you're too kind.
Personally I thought it was a bit too wordy and maybe a little too detailed, but I decided to try to leave my opinions out of it (for the most part) and just recount the events of the episode, which makes it difficult to decide what to leave out.
Still, I had fun writing it. I just hope I get time to do "Coup by Clam" tomorrow.
Flag
Far from wordy. I thought it was very parsimonious. Not sure what yo ucould have cut from that. But then again - look at mine! Cripes I am awful. Good thing I never worked as a film editor. All my movies would be 4 hours long
Flag
I caught up on these today. Coup was fun but if we don't get it we won't miss the larger arc. I just finished Unrealized Realities - I forgotten the awesomeness of that ep. That is the big set up for the rest of the series. Coup is definitely a "one off". The Sikozu decision at the end is something we already knew would happen.

But I would just enjoy seeing you do another for us. Hope you can manage it.
Flag
Thanks Eddy.
Flag
That is something I have been thinking about, will I end up being too wordy, do i want too throw in some personal views, or maybe add something towards the end... and pictures, how many and of what... I got a couple weeks to figure it out, since mine in Prayer. You did a good job...

Personal note.... I can be very wordy, wonder how that would be perceived...
Flag
Mine have gotten reallt really long, because I just said "FRELL IT" If I like the picture I put it in. If it needs a GIF - cool. I am just enjoying the ep as I do it and having fun without restriction when I recap it.

It means it takes a long time and is a big upload ...but I just don't care.

What I am saying, Doz, is just ENJOY yourself and forget about what you think others might want. Give us what you enjoy and I promise we will love it.
Flag
When it came to pictures I figured that everyone knows what the regulars look like so I tried to include pics of the supporting characters. It's only particularly funny and distressing moments that I'd consider. You'll be great though mate, just remember to enjoy it and be yourself.
Flag
I just repeated your message! Damn I really should read from the bottom up!

Great idea on the images. I guess I just know my limitations as a writer so why not go with "Photo recap" and have the pics tell the story. Your way is a perfect change of pace.
Flag
Welcome to the re-watchers, Trev! I liked your tone and flow of the story. This may be just a throwaway episode, but then again it kind of isn't. (I watched it this morning as a preparation for my own episode). We see here John trying to fight off his feelings for Aeryn with the 'spider-snuff,' we get Aeryn that for what seems like the first time is showing remorse over people she herself has killed (as opposed to flaunting her kills like before), and we see Sikozu turn down the chance to live 'happily ever after' off Moya. What for I wonder?
I especially enjoyed the stand-off between Aeryn and John, so reminiscent of the one back in the day when they'd all gone bonkers. Great acting job from both of them to show how much their relationship has evolved by pretty much standing still.
Great stuff!
Flag
I actually though of the episode in season one where one of them had the alien parasite inside of them and they all pointed weapons at each other.
Flag
Have you ever seen the Family Guy where Brian tricks Stewie into watching 2 girls on e cup?

Flag
Isn't that just a horrible image to have placed back in your head... I thought I had forgotten until tonight.
Flag
This is for you @DSniner

You rat bastard for putting those images back in my head! LOL
Flag
Dren! Without cheating by looking it us I am trying to remember the name of that one
Flag
Nerve ?
Flag
have to cheat tham... A Bug's Life - if only i thought Pixar
Flag
Nerve was when JOhn 1st met Scorpy trying to get a tissue sample for Aeryn at the Gammak Base. Hmmmm
Flag
That stand off reminded me of an X-Files Episode where Mulder was being compelled to shoot Scully in the face. He fights it, she cries ...one of the more tense scenes in TV.

I think Sikozu has another crush. But it was cool to get some pseudo Raelee Hill booby shots.
Flag
I hadn't thought about that episode in a long time, loved X-Files before it went off the rails but it still had many good seasons. If I recall Mulder shoots at himself, no bullet, aims at Scully and forces himself not to fire and than the person trying to control him, who made sure he included himself in the roulette and the gun fired, freeing Mulder. Hence you know he would of killed Scully.
Flag
Was it "Duane Barry"? I can't remember. Mulder managed to shoot him instead. He somewhat comes back in another episode 9or so we think).

That was such a chilling scene - you are thinking of exactly the right one.
Flag
@edshrinker Yeah, after I shut down the computer I remembered it was a brain tumor. The episode is "Pusher" S3E17.
Flag
@TrevPlatt

Dren. I want the name of that episode. I thought it was the guy's name. He was treating a brain tumor
Flag
It wasn't Duane Barry, he was the guy who was also abducted, he kidnapped Scully so that the aliens would take her instead of him - she was missing for a few episodes. The mind control episode was the guy who advertised in magazines about his ability to control minds, like he was a martial artist or something. He convinced the cop car to drive in front of the truck and another cop to set himself on fire. He was ingesting some kind of supplement that screwed him up. At the end of the episode he was with Mulder and Scully in a hospital room playing Russian roulette.
Flag
If only her and Chi could get along!!!
Flag
And by get along you mean...

Flag
@DSniner I can forgive you now that it is a memory you're stuck with too :)
I have made 2 mistakes looking up stuff on the internet because someone told me too, I will not subject you or anyone else here to that second mistake.

Also, judging by reaction, was that not enough warning to not look it up? LOL
Flag

Also to @mdoz34
Doz,wasn't sure what you meant about 2 girls 1 cup so I very stupidly did a search on topic....................................I now regretted it.Thought two Leias kissing was innocent fun but now I know what you meant! I think my eye sight will return soon.
To say I'm sorry for bring up bad memories,here you go guys...........

Hope all is forgiven!!!

Flag
@DSniner 2 girls 1 cup? really, had to bring that image back into my mind... I was stupid enough to look that up ages ago, I mentally and almost physically throw up.
Flag
More like this,Ed........................................................................

Flag
That gave me tingles in special places!
Flag
It's that touching moment at the end by the grave that gets me, hope for reconciliation at last. Also, Jim Henson's people deserve a lot of credit for creating yet another great character that we only get to see for one episode. I was thinking the Priest looked familiar, but I reminded myself that it was a puppet and I was going nuts. Turns out I'm not so nuts after all.
This whole episode for me boils down to two important things, Aeryn and John finally forced to confront each other and start to move on and Sikozu maybe admitting to herself that she has a connection with Scorpius - why else turn down the chance for a "happily ever after"?
Flag
I will never cease in admitting my love for The Jim Henson Creature Shop. I loved GotG and I was super impressed with Groot and Rocket. Especially Rocket. Maybe the voice work was just that good.

But there is just so much more of a tangible feel to the Creature shop aliens in Farscape. They feel more real to me than anything CGI
Flag
Maybe it's because no matter how good the CGI you can tell you can't touch it.
Flag
i think your right about that. It looks good, but just slightly off from real. Whereas Rygel is there and you could touch him. The only thing wiht puppets, even the best of them, it can be hard to be convincing when you see them doing small things wiht thier hands. Rygel using a knife is a good example and we have seen that a few times.
Flag
thinking back I am like, dammit, Sikozu may be nice to look at, why couldn't she stay on the planet. Granted she is important later, but I really disliked her attitude at this point. And this is despite this being the first real emotion and vulnerability you see in her.
Flag
You know, I do not dislike her. that's because her actions do not influence the crew in a negative way. She might not be aligned with the rest, but she does not harm them either.
Flag
Not at all. She is rather helpful many times - just really arrogant about it all.
Flag
She never became likeable but you can tell the writers were really trying to make her important. She never really caught on like the others did. I think Jool had more fans.

But you see what the writers had planned for her all along in the PK Wars
Flag
I can't believe it is for Scorpy's looks. Seeing the Natira/Scorpy encounter that was sex i guess, I would be surprised if Sikozu could survive it.
Flag
We haven't reached that point yet, but I am guessing she does have sex with him later, since there was some weird kinky shit going on at the end of the season. But let us not get too far ahead of ourselves. For all intent and purposes, you got to remember, Scorpy is half Sebacian (how do you spell that word?) and appears to have taken on the basic body shape of that half.
Flag
@Rolamb
If only, my wonderfully optimistic friend, if only.
Flag
I suppose the message is that there's even still hope for us guys after all to get a beautiful woman like Sikozu.
Flag
Sebacean
Flag
Unfortunately he got the Scarran good looks though. At least it was the ruling class head and face...

Flag
Nah, it's purely an intellectual thing! I still think she can do better though.
Flag
Good point trev. I think the attraction on both ends is they are the smartest ones in the room. Physically - this is more Scorpy's type

Flag
I think it is more, like I said to Ed right above here.
Flag
Bigger brainiacs than Scorpy are few and far in-between both on this show and in general. The guy really is an evil genius.
Flag
@mdoz34 @johnPeterson5 @edshrinker @mog253 @AndreiLazu @Wig257

@Snyltesoppen @RazorX696 @slayme3 @DSniner @Henninggirl

@Cherelle66
Flag
Again no notification, again found it by accident on a daily check of the community. Something is really wrong with the comments system
Flag
I almost missed that this was up, if you hadn't commented right here I may of missed it initially. I had a notification that someone had commented on this review right below my name.
Flag
Happy to help
Flag
IT woeked for me. Realize when you are "mentioned" in a comment - the notification isn't highlighted BLUE. It just pops up clear white in your notify list.
Flag
Sorry for going backwards here... but I ask twice in the last recap and didn't see an answer anywhere... but what was Browder's first writing credit?
Flag
Thanks Trev, finally got my answer. And I was thinking it would of been one of the weirder, off the wall ones but cool. Of course everything is weird, but in a good way, on this show.
Flag
OOps - sorry Doz. I saw that and forgot to answer.
Flag
"Green Eyed Monster". The one where Talyn is swallowed by the Budong.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members