A Farscape Community
Syfy (ended 2004)
First off: Farscape Movie CONFIRMED by Rockne O'Bannon at WonderCon

On with our regularly scheduled post. Frell me!

Hey gang! We have reached the Farscape season 2 finale. I put a little extra in to this sucker considering this episode is such a game changer in so many ways. I edited a few extra videos and GIFS for this one since words alone do not do the shock of the circumstances any justice. If I were ranking the best season finales in television, this would clearly be in my top 5. I sat absolutely stunned at what the show just did. So here is just a little bit more of everything to reintroduce the impact of the events of this episode... as the family we just started to get to know is completely torn apart on nearly every level.

And Now...On Farscape:

We start with a gorgeous shot of Moya and Talyn in the orbit of a Healer’s home planet. Everyone realizes Moya and John cannot go on in their current conditions and they can finally afford the medical help. Here is the intro to “Die Me, Dichotomy”:

A Diagnosan, or doctor, and his handler are surveying Moya to assess the damage and the price for taking on the patient:

The price is very high and Grunchlk is bargaining for the best price.

The Dianosan is a healer of renown, but he himself is susceptible to nearly anything inhaled through the nose and mouth at the same time – hence the mask.

Stark is appalled the price keeps going up the more he waits:

The Diagnosan wants to help…

…but the price has gone up from 12.000 kretmas to 20. 000. Negotiations are not proceeding very well.

With Zhaan’s approval, the price is accepted and the healing can begin.

Pilot picks up a change in the comms units. Aeryn goes to investigate. Crichton is at work:

Not exactly the moment we pictured when “I love you” would finally be shared.

Meanwhile on board Talyn, Crais is talking to the ship like an old friend. He apparently has information that he would be willing to share with Aeryn, if she is willing to join them on their journey. Talyn picks up a signal encoded with a Captain’s code for Scorpius. It is Crichton, or what is left of him.

D’Argo and Jothee are off to investigate. Jothee finds Crichton first, and underestimates the Scorpius inside him:

Fortunately, D’Argo follows him and knocks the Scorpichton out.

Crichton is taken to the surface:

Without a minor miracle, the chip is not removable by standard methods.

Crichton is kept retrained and apologetic as Grunchlk reveals the vast storage of 10,000 “mostly dead” donors the Doc keeps on hand for moments like this. They are a microt away from death when they are frozen.

It turns out the facility has a near match for a CNS and spine. An Interon (keep that species in mind!) that could well provide the tissue sample needed for the chip’s removal. Zhaan sees the storage of species not allowed their moment of death as an abomination. Nonetheless, with the assurance the donor could never survive restoration, he consents to the surgery.

Stark and D’Argo are pretty much just getting high and numb applying the local anesthetic and antibiotic needed to treat Moya’s burns and infection. Chiana and Jothee are keeping Pilot company, when an interesting exchange occurs.

Jothee tells Chi that D’Argo’s dream is to take the money and settle down on a farm – something that doesn't exactly appeal to Chiana. In his stoned state, Pilot triggers a DRD recording of D’Argo’s proposal to Chiana. She realizes that life on a farm is to include Jothee and her.

On board Moya, Grunchlk is stuffing his face while Rygel makes a pitch for the purchase of a ship that will give him his freedom.

It takes more the small stones, but it appears a fair price is established.

John is strapped down as he is a danger to himself and everyone else in the Scorpichton state. He convinces Zhaan he needs to share Unity so that he is able to give her his feelings toward friends and family if the surgery goes wrong.

It all just a rouse to free himself from the restraints. Scorpichton taunts that if she were more than a 10th level Pa'u, she could break the bond.

At the same time, Crais makes his pitch to Aeryn.

He informs her Talyn has selected her to be the voice of guidance as he matures.

I swear it seemed like Crais was moving in for a smooch before they are interrupted by a fleeing Pod. Crichton is loose and he is transmitting coordinates to Scorpius. Aeryn thanks Crais – but she must stop her love from giving himself up. But she thanks Crais for the offer. I'm not sure how she would have responded to the kiss.

The chase scene is amazing. Awesome effects for 2002 on a TV budget. But the emotional conclusion is what transcends the clip to something else entirely.

Everyone says their goodbyes to Aeryn, each leaving in her casket their most prized possession.

But Crichton takes something instead. A lock of hair…

…then leaves her with the only thing he can possible give:

It is time.

With the Aeryn’s death and the prospect of John’s survival in serious doubt, everyone prepares to move on. Crais with the secret he planned to tell Aeryn…

Stark offering to be Zhaan’s companion…

And unfortunately, Jothee taking full advantage of Chaina’s indecision…

Without Big D walking in, they may have sealed the deal right there.

The green light sterilizes the area so the Diagnosan can work. The tendrils have to be cut. As the Doc probes, it is up to Crichton to alert him if the area is safe to be compromised.

After a trip down his memories of his puppies, an area is hit that forces John to make a decision.

Braca and his commandos arrive.

Grunchlk tries to hide, but Braca is on him.

The Doc has cut enough of the connections to extract the chip.

Unfortunately, John’s speech is completely made gibberish – something that can be repaired once the chip is out. Which is successful.

Unfortunately, Scorpius’ timing is impeccable.

He rips off the Diagnosan’s mask and breaths on him, rendering him fatally infected.

He then moves to John.

Neural chip in hand, Scorpius condemns Crichton to LIVE. Without speech. And without his love, Aeryn.

What a finale. I could not even contemplate what Crichton was suffering through. Not just losing control of himself but also killing the one person who had the most meaning to him in the process. I remember like yesterday the night I first saw the ep, mouth agape, not sure if I really saw what I saw. Now, I was sure John and Aeryn’s story was not over (right, @AndreiLazu? LOL!), but to have to sit through half a year waiting to see how they could bring her back was one of the longest television breaks I ever experienced. But unlike my torture of 2002, I will have the season 3 premiere up by the weekend and you can see how it ends at any time! Lucky Scapers!

- Edshrinker
89 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
PS: while the Doc was removing the chip he gets to the memories of Aeryn and if I remember correctly, John doesn't actually say he should keep them. I know in the end he does, it just seems like something that could have had even greater repercussions than it already did.
Flag
No doubt. I just added the pic of him closing his eyes. But in season 3 - they need the love story to begin. I think folks would have been frustrated with another delay in the romance.
Flag
I get why they did it, I get how as well. I'm just thinking had they not been renewed (like I thought), the ending would have been even more devastating...
Flag
DUDE! Were'nt you devastated enough?? LOL.

I sincerely have my heart out for you. I still can't believe what you went through. I also can't imagine your elation when you saw the season 3 premiere!

Speaking of which ...it is mostly done - I'll probably have it up tonight. I have busy getting the Believe recap up.
Flag
First of all, Happy Easter. I was offline because we all visited my sister-in-law's future in-laws' village.
This is a difficult episode for me. Not only is it an episode in which so much badness happens to our favorite characters, but it's also the last one I'd watched/was aware it existed for almost 5 years.
Of the things that happened the dogfight and the carving out of the probe are the most heartbreaking and important parts.
There is much to say about this episode, but I'd rather gloss over it and start the healing :D
Great job in re-telling it, though, ed!
Flag
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One my best friends (@paulburrows) is at WONDERCON. Rockne O'Bannon CONFIRMS I Farscape movie IS HAPPENING!!!!

Flag
Zhaan was a bit stupid, wasn't she. She knew Scorpius might be in there and still...... But I can see the writers used her for his escape is she is the most naïve one of them.

Flag
Good Dog - 6 straight spam comments. Does that mean the articles is good? LOL I have never seen a run of spam like that before. I am done hitting "Flag". I am trying not to waste my time on any of these Firstname-middle initial-lastname MFers
Flag
She is the most sympathetic and Scorpichton really played her. She is a priest. She always wants help souls.
Flag
Crais was talking to Ta;lyn about the information they would have for Aeryn if she's join and how happy she would be. As far as I can remember we have't heard it yet so I'm still curious what it will be.
Flag
No you haven't. It is extreamly important to her character development.
Flag
Aeryn was a bit disappointed wasn't she when she found out Crichton did not remember anything from their conversation about love.

Flag
So crushed she brought it up seconds before she her death as she fell. Yeah, definitely think it was weighing on her. Although he didn't remember saying it as Scorprichton, he did say it over her grave. So I imagine those were the true feelings Scorpichton used.
Flag
I liked the conversation they had on the chase where, amongst other things, was mentioned that Crichton had his training in atmospheric circumstances. Aeryn obviously also wasn't trained in something I see earth fighters do all the time: look around to see for themselves where the enemy might be. That way she should have seen Crichton/Scorpius coming.

Flag
I thought the whole chase scene was fantastic. Especially this:

Flag
What i remember most about this ending was just shock... I could be wrong about this, but at the time, there was no confirmation that Aeryn (Claudia Black) would even be returning for the following season. And while I know now, what happens and what it leads to is great tv and also more sadness at the future loss.
Flag
SciFi left them hanging every off reason re: renewal.
Flag
Yet Helix is already renewed....
Flag
Later shows always seemed to have earlier renewal announcements. But Farscape was always the leaving you hanging one and when they cancelled after the 4th season, angry would of been a great understatement. I was glad they finished off the story with Peacekeeper Wars.
Flag
There should be a law -- shows cancelled prior to resolution MUST do a TV movie to give us closure, under threat of sanctions by the ALLIANCE OF MOTION PICTURE AND TELEVISION PRODUCERS. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is one show that deserved a better ending than it got.
Flag
I know the comics carried the story after, but without PK Wars, I am not sure I would be doing these re-watches. I really wanted to see how the story ended.

NOw I pray the movie really happens. I am looking into the kickstarted. Justin Monjo and Brian Henson finished the script.
Flag
OMG! There will never be Television like this again! The Sci-Fi space "opera" is forgotten. Farscape was the only show ever to give me a sense of loss after it was 'Cancelled'. I dreamed of these people at the time. Now I refuse to watch conventional TV. Let's hope they can sell more soap or cars... :(
Flag
J Monjo and Brian Henson and the Creature Shop have a movie ready to roll! It just needs backing. Looking into it.

Join in our watchback crichtonkicks! Jump in, be s psrt of out dicussion. I have some help, and we do 80% of each season! Pop in the DVDs and read along with the reviews like you first saw them! That is our intention.
Flag
Browder and Black both looking pretty good still and young enough to be doing the same old schtick. And, I'd look forward to seeing Dargo II (mini-Chricton) as a, what, 9 year old?
Flag
Here is the story summary. We are looking at Lil D (or Deke) at 19 and living with grand dad on Earth:

From my story: "Monjo’s new story revolves around this youngster. As it turns out, he has some vague, special powers—we’ll have to wait to see what to learn more specifics about what they entail. His unique skill set made him a target for various intergalactic villains and aliens up to no good, so his parents hid him on dear old dad’s home planet, Earth. The story of the movie picks up with him at 19 years old. His location has been discovered, and he gets back together with his folks."

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You are so right, Farscape had the best season finales and this may have been the best.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members