Farscape Forums

Syfy (ended 2004)

Do you like ben Bowder and Claudia Black better on farscape or SG1?

farscapefanuk

[21]May 11, 2007
    • level: 32
    Claudia Black is fantastic in both shows. I think i'm gonna chose Frascape only because she has not been in Stargate SG1 long enough. And as mentioned earlier Ben is pretty much the same.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danijay

[22]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 7

I love both shows! I have watched them from the beginning. I think Ben and Claudia are both terrific actors and I enjoy seeing them on any show. However, I have to admit, they were fantastic on Farscape. I loved their characters! They worked extremely well together and now, on Stargate, it's just not the same. But, if it was, we would complain that they just changed the characters names and moved them to a different show.

DJ

whiteraven2005

[23]Jul 11, 2007
    • level: 30
    Honestly, these days I only watch SG1 for Ben and Claudia and while I love seeing them on the same show, nothing can ever replace the characters they created for Farscape. The John/Aeryn love story has no parallel and as individual characters, I just adore them. John Crichton is one of the most well-rounded, best written characters I've ever seen and to say Ben played him to perfection is an understatement. He IS John, I can't imagine how anyone else could have played such a complex character and make him as wonderful. I've always loved Claudia as an actress and I love both characters, but Aeryn has a depth that they can't match in SG1. Man, I miss Farscape.... I was lucky enough to recently get the entire series on DVD!
    Edited on 07/11/2007 2:59am

D-LinkUK

[24]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 24
    I've always been a big fan of farscape and a part fan of early SG-1 but when i found out Ben and Claudia were to star in season 9 then 10 of Stargate i watched each episode and enjoyed them so much, i was so glad that the writers did'nt make Mitchell and Vala an item but kept them romanticaly a part, became a bigger fan of SG-1 because of them two, cannot wait for the films coming out.

darth_pocki

[25]Jul 19, 2007
    • level: 10

For Ben there's no question whatsoever... Crichton wins over Cam with a longshot. Cam is just boring compared... Ben doesn't get to show what he's got you know

For Claudia though... I adore both Aeryn and Vala to pieces. And love them for different reasons (except for the biggest reason being that Claudia is such an amazing actress). It's hard to choose there really, but I suppose I will go with Aeryn since well, she's Farscape and Farscape owns my soul.

farraliz

[26]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 6
    Crichton and Aeryn is better...Vala is horrible, Cameron is good.

Swordstress

[27]Jul 24, 2007
    • level: 4
    The only reason I've watched SG is for Ben, and I enjoy his take on Cameron Mitchell. But feel the character wasn't really given an opportunity to be himself. The more I watch SG, though, the more I realize the characters are TOTALLY different, and I much prefer John Crichton. Of course, this could be because I don't think SG is a particulaly well-written show, but that's just my opinion, so no offense! And given the stated opinion on Ben, you know I'll like Claudia more as Aeryn Sun!

Rogue_Beeyatch

[28]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 23
    Ben is much better in Farscape... Cam is just pale character and I will always see him as Jack replacement.

As for Claudia, I would say that I like her more on Farscape - but I would probably be lying... there's no way for me to separate her two performances and compare them, they're both so good. Just like I'll never be able to choose between Sam and Helen (SG1 and Sanctuary)... Both are great roles and characters you need to love.

Feyd1979

[29]Aug 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    I'm someone that loves both shows for different reasons... Stargate has a more realistic view on our current science, farscape is a more fantasy. I do like Ben more a Crichton but I do still like his Cameron Mitchell, he does give a good act as both but his Crichton is a more realistic charachter but they are really too similar to really say which is better as a whole. Thought I do like Claudia better on SG-1 because her character needs more to redeem herself for what she has done in the past for things she herself has done and not just her race as a whole.

sweet_em

[30]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 26
    Farscape just because I never really got into Stargate at all. I tried to start watching when Ben Browder first started but I just couldn't do it. It's just not my thing I guess.

Crais_luvr

[31]Nov 14, 2007

I rated FARSCAPE 10,,, SG1 9.2, that should tell ya were I stand..

Ben is, was, and will always be John Critchon! Didn't like the "Cam" character on SG1.

On Farscape Claudia was a fierce butt-kickin', name takin' woman! On SG1 they brought heron as a blithering idiot ... (haven't watched season 10 yet)

IMHO of course

Edited on 12/02/2007 5:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Msalas

[32]Nov 15, 2007
    Well i started to watch Farscape but i could not finish it beacause it sucked so much, the strories were ridicolous.
    Just look at the crew...every crewmember is a diffrent species. The dialogue was crap to. Claudia was a great character on SG1 and Ben was kinda good...he did have to replace Jack O`Neill, Ben was funny as Cam Mitchell but i think he was better in Farscape. And please...you cant compare Farscape with Stargate SG1, Farscape was crap

Clemontine

[33]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 23
    I love them equally on both. Not meaning I cant prefer the character of Vala over Aeryn. And even though I gave both Farscape and SG-1 10/10, I do think Farscape is better. So I think everything kinda equals out.

Mangalore

[34]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    Msalas wrote:
    Well i started to watch Farscape but i could not finish it beacause it sucked so much, the strories were ridicolous.
    Just look at the crew...every crewmember is a diffrent species. The dialogue was crap to. Claudia was a great character on SG1 and Ben was kinda good...he did have to replace Jack O`Neill, Ben was funny as Cam Mitchell but i think he was better in Farscape. And please...you cant compare Farscape with Stargate SG1, Farscape was crap

You're risking limb and bone here! SG-1 is the traditional Star trek format with a loose main plot added. It's storylines are very formal, which makes them easy to follow. Similarily the SG-1 characters are very bland compared to the backgrounds, emotions and objectives of any Farscape character. This makes identification of the various stereotypes pretty easy. In Farscape these backgrounds/emotions etc. drive the whole storyline. Characters are based on stereotypes, too, but they are not limited to it (just think of D'Argo, pretty much a Klingon clone, who nevertheless has a varied social and levelled perspective on things.). In SG-1 such background is usually only added in filler episodes. There are no character motivations. It's their duty, case closed... except it's not Vala's or Te'alc's duty but they stay nevertheless.

I esspecially dislike how Vala turnt out as a regular character. This character was introduced as a sly ex-Host women who could keep the whole SG team running for their money. When she became a constant part of the team however she was reduced to a useless asset solely there for comic relief.

Similarily Col. Mitchell is mainly a O'Neil clone minus some years with few individual features that'd set him apart.

Of the two Farscape simply has the more fleshed out characters whose actions are motivated by certain needs, wishes or simply illusions.

TeaFloffySalt

[35]Dec 1, 2007
    I like them better on Farscape by far. They have a better conection.

Crais_luvr

[37]Dec 22, 2007
    Crais_luvr wrote:

I rated FARSCAPE 10,,, SG1 9.2, that should tell ya were I stand..

On Farscape Claudia was a fierce butt-kickin', name takin' woman! On SG1 they brought her on as a blithering idiot ... (haven't watched season 10 yet)

Ok so I watch season 10 of SG1,,, and all I can say is what a frelling bunch of dren! Should have ended at season 8....

Angel2408

[38]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 9

Okay, I have a few questions. I just became a new fan of Farscape and of CB and BB. Since they are so terrific together, is it worth watching S9 and 10 of Stargate simply for them? I've never seen a single episode of that show, so would I be lost jumping in with S9? And are their characters major or just minor roles so that they are only appearing from time to time?

Edited on 12/24/2007 7:24am

TeaFloffySalt

[39]Dec 24, 2007
    Angel2408 wrote:

Okay, I have a few questions. I just became a new fan of Farscape and of CB and BB. Since they are so terrific together, is it worth watching S9 and 10 of Stargate simply for them? I've never seen a single episode of that show, so would I be lost jumping in with S9? And are their characters major or just minor roles so that they are only appearing from time to time?

Welcome new Scaper. This is a great show isn't it! They are worth watching on SG1 but in my opinion they are not as good. I was never to much of a fan of SG1 but for them I'll watch it. No show is better than Farscape though!

Crais_luvr

[40]Jan 3, 2008
    Angel2408 wrote:

Welcome newbie! CB and BB are dynamic on Farscape, however IMHO they were disappointingon SG-1.

RDA (Richard Dean Anderson) was the team leader on SG-1 for 8 years and decided not to come back. So they brought in BB to play a LT. Colonel becoming the new leader. CB played an "Alien", who has worked her way around the galaxy by stealing and manipulating people. Also, becoming a part of the team.

They have major roles, but are nothing like Crichton and Sun. On SG-1 they act like they have never met before, and do not get along. If you want to see the same relationship between them as in Farscape, you will be disappointed.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION OF COURSE...