Father Brown

The Hammer of God

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 26, 1974 on ITV

• When things were allowed to go slow.

Made in 1974 this episode proves to be a good example of a Chesterton story and of television drama of that era. The location work looks filmic; with the studio scenes you feel as if you're watching a stage play. The dialogue can be very witty, sometimes a tad too witty to be realistic. (Then again, everything that comes out of Graham Crowden's mouth sounds clever or sarcastic.) The pace is relaxed and the story complex enough to keep you interested without being confusing. The first half sets up the murder, giving the major characters a motive to commit the crime. Once the crime has been committed, it's just a matter of weeding out all the false theories.

Father Brown, as played by Kenneth More, closely resembles Miss Marple. Don't be fooled by his quiet demeanour, he notices everything. At the same time he is very believable as a real priest. I'm not sure if that's Chesterton's achievement or More's.

The show did not rely on spectacular story lines. I don't think I would be the only viewer who could guess the outcome before Father Brown explained it to the police.