Fawlty Towers

BBC Two (ended 1979)

DennisKytasaari

Fawlty Towers Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• The funniest show that I have ever seen.

I had never sen it when it was on TV but I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. It is the best written and best acted piece of comedy genius that anyone will ever watch.I had never sen it when it was on TV but I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. It is the best written and best acted piece of comedy genius that anyone will ever watch.I had never sen it when it was on TV but I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. It is the best written and best acted piece of comedy genius that anyone will ever watch.
  • Basil Fawlty is the rudest most prejudiced man in the world. He also owns a hotel and along with his wife Sibil who he\'s scared of, underappreciated maid Polly and Manuel the waiter from Barcelona who barely speaks english he\'s made the smash hit comedy

This would have to be the best comedy ever to hit television. You could watch the episodes over and over and they could never grow old and you find something new to laugh at every time. It\'s original and it accomodates from the highly intelligent people to the very stupid. The best episode in my opinion must be \'Communication Problem\'s\' where Basil encounters an impossible old woman with a hearing aid she doesn\'t like to turn on because it wastes the batteries. A Definate Classic.
  • Fawlty Towers

This is a great BBC classic even though it didn't make a lot of episodes of it but all they did was quit while they were ahead which was sort of a right thing really. But altogether in this show is that it is really hillarious and the jokes will never get stale.
  • Fawlty Towers is probably the finest of all British comedies.

Fawlty Towers is probably the finest British comedy of all time. The cast is perfect, the scripts are hilarious and the timing is impeccable. It is so hard to pick a favourite episode as they are all special which cannot be said about many modern sitcoms.

It went out on top which I think was very important as if it continued it may not have had the magic of the first two series. If only more sitcoms could end after 2-3 years then there wouldn't be so many shows that have unmemorable episodes.

I really don't think that this show will ever be topped.
  • "dont mention the war"

simply a great series. Cleese is funny no matter what he does and the characters are unforgetable. the physical comedy was great as well. who can forget that infamous cleese goose-stepping or maneuls treatment or even cybils constant ranting and squabbles to basil? even the minor characters we funny and certainly inexcusable for their completly blind trust of the hotel. Favourite episode has the be the germans which completly made our views ont he war funny and mad phrases like "don't mention the war" mainstay of the british language. Certainly one of the best british comedies and bar only fools and horses the best.
  • A classic of British comedy, and an exercise in how to make viewers laugh out loud.

Full of stock characters, ridiculous situations and barely disguised monologued ranting. But this is one of the greatest British sitcoms ever written. The simplicity of the structure, along with the quickly recognisable characters enables the viewer to get on with the important job of laughing, rather than ploughing through exposition and meeting a cast of thousands. We don’t need to know how Manuel came to be working at ‘Fatty Owls, nor can we imagine any time when Sybil and Basil were anything more than a ‘nest of vipers’ and a ‘brilliantined stick insect. The joy of Fawlty Towers is simply that it is full of jokes, full of slapstick.

From Mrs. Richards and her turned-down hearing aid to Mr Leeman the Dead Guest, any modern viewer of comedy knows the episodes by heart. Phrases like ‘He’s from Barcelona’ have entered the modern vernacular, and we can all repeat the exchange between Basil and his unfortunate German guests ad nauseam. In particular, ‘Waldorf Salad’ is an example of the Britishness of the comedy, pouring scorn on the demanding American guest, whilst simultaneously apologising for our lack of regard to customers and foreigners alike. Fawlty Towers is a programme deservedly cherished.
  • A hilaros show

I'm the first to admit that I didn't expect to like this show since it was made in the 70s but my father introduced it to me when he bought the DVD this year.

I have now seen all twelve episodes and found each one utterly hilarious, especially John Cleese's character of Basil and his relationship with Manuel, sometimes even hitting him with frypans.

I haven't seen any old shows, mainly because they aren't on TV since they've finished but I was pleasantly surprised when I watched Fawlty Towers, one of the few shows which goes for a full half hour.

Fawlty Towers was entertaining back then and is even popular now which means only one thing...this show is a classic!
  • Fawlty Towers

This show is yet another classic comedy. I must have seen every single episode of this show and this show will remain a classic. John Cleese did a good job on the lead role which was Basil Fawlty. I liked Basil Fawlty hitting Manuel (Andrew Sachs) with a spoon all the time.
  • One of the best laughs available

Programmes as funny as Fawlty Towers must be cherished, and it has. The repeats of it keep coming every year, but they never seem to lose any comedy appeal. There aren't many programmes that are this well written and this well acted, so make the most of it while they keep repeating it!
  • Brilliant Comedy

Fawlty Towers is a hotel where a lot of people come and stay. On the surface it looks like a normal hotel where everything runs like clockwork, but behind the scenes its anything but that.

Basil Fawlty (played by the brilliant John Cleese) constantly have to deal with one problem after another. Many of these are caused by his clumsy waiter Manuel.

Basil's wife is always trying to control him, and Polly the hotel maid seems to be the only one who manages to help out most of the time.

There is a great blend of funny dialogue and slapstick humour in this classic comedy.
  • classic comedy

Fawlty towers is a classic comedy about a hotel owner Basil Fawlty and who he runs his hotel. Although it had ONLY 12 episodes it was probably the funniest show in its time. Basil some how always had something go wrong with a guest. Being rude, getting angry quickly and getting pissed off by mannuel and then slapping him was a great mix to get a comedy that people of all ages could watch.
  • Pure comedy genious

If you like monty python then you will also like this. Starring comedy legend John Cleese as hotel owner Basil Fawlty, he seems to be always caught up in the middle of things. Perhaps on a level always getting the blame for the bad things that happen in the hotel because his wife feels that he is incompetent at running it.

I for one would have been glad to see this show run for longer than it did, it was very fun while it lasted. There were some good lines in the show, sometimes re-occuring from Basil. But the major and other regular characters add to the continuing entertainment.

30 years old the show is, but the comedy still will bring a smile to your face.
  • Great show! Great acting! Great everything!!

This show was an absolute riot. I think there are episodes that I've never seen and if that's the case I've got to ASAP!

This show was (and still is) priceless. It reamains pure gold and still has the ability to leave its watchers in stitches even after all these years. This show is perfect. John Cleese played the part of Basil like nobody else could.

I definitely recommend it if you like comedy.
  • The best comedy series of all time! The holy grail of comedy! The armless, legless warrior of mirth!

All 12 episodes of this series are excellent, but the very best, perfectly constructed and timed is the episode: The Germans.

Hilarious!!! The Major is brilliant and so are his lines!

If you don't laugh when Basil does his German schtik you are either humorless or German, which is the same thing really. You might just be dead.

Must-see T.V.!!!
  • tOTALLY Awsome

ased on an actual hotel Cleese and the MP gang stayed at once, Fawlty Towers is a hilarious British sitcom with great characters and situations. Probably the most famous episode is the one with the Germans, as I hear it referred to the most.

Basil Fawlty (Cleese) is a grumpy hotel manager, with his domineering wife Sybil, the hotel maid Polly (co-creator and Cleese's wife at the time of the show Connie Booth), the Spanish waiter Manuel ("I learned classical Spanish, not this strange dialect he's using"), and the hotel's longest standing resident, the Major. Witty dialogue and hilarious slapstick situations make this a great show.
  • Hilarious

I'd never really been a fan of British comedy in general or Monty Python in particular until about a decade or so ago when I watched a marathon of Fawlty Towers on Comedy Central starring Monty Python alum John Cleese. This show was hilarious stuff. Cleese, Prunella Scales, and Andrew Sachs were brilliant in their roles as inept hotel manager Basil Fawlty, his domineering wife, and their employee who seemingly understood little English. They don't make comedies like this anymore so be sure and check out Fawlty Towers if its rerun sometime on Comedy Central or your local PBS station.
  • Truely an aspiration for the Cleese legacy.

Monty Python's Flying Circus was not something that the BBC loved, quite the opposite in fact.
    But Faulty Towers changed Cleese's carreer from comedy sketches to situation comedy.

Faulty towers, always a great show to encourage tourists to the wonders of Torquay, the hotel gleneagles is still there, and was a great show to watch.

I personally think that Mr.Cleese did the best thing by only writing 12 episodes along with the ex. Unlike with American shows, were programmes often come in series of 24 or, well at least more than 6/7 in the uk. 24 episodes would have been way too many, you can have too much of a good thing and i honestly think that the British public would have got sick of the man after a while.

I know when the Germans bought the series, Manuele was voiced over by the origonal star, as he is part german, but they refused to air The Germans episode, don't know why???

The show overall was incredibly well written, as can be shown by the length of time it took to write, alot of time and effort was put into the show, at a time of such immence pressure in Mr.Cleese's life, especially by the fact that he and his wife were in the middle of a messy divorce row.
  • Another Comedy, The Best Comedy.

I first sore it at one of my Friends Davids. He showed me all of them. I really enjoyed it and wished i had it. There was no choise. I really Wanted. If you don't like this you may not like anything. Comedy has never been so funny, Often we only hear the same jokes, but through 12 epis we see differant jokes for differant thing. Now you'll want this more than Family Guy.

Comedy Has never been so mad,This shows the Old Classics arn't bad at all. Get Rid of Cartoons and all that and swop to this.
    This Reveiw is 104 words long.
  • A classic British Comedy

This is a classic BBC Sitcom, lasting only with 12 episodes. It was broadcasted in the year 1975, and set in a hotel named after it's owner Fawlty Towers. Basil Fawlty and his censorious wife Sybil run the hotel with the help of the maid Polly and the Spanish porter Manuel who could barely speak English.

The plots are as intricate and farcical as those of Feydeau, involving coincidences, misunderstandings, cross-purposes, accidental meetings and missed meetings. The sex of the bedroom farce is sometimes present, but it is Basil Fawlty's eccentricity, not his lust, that drives the plots.

Only twelve episodes were ever broadcast, but the series has had a lasting and powerful influence. In a list of the 100 Greatest British Television Programmes drawn up by the British Film Institute in 2000, voted for by industry professionals, Fawlty Towers was placed first. It was also voted fifth in a BBC poll in 2004 of the general public to find "Britain's Best Sitcom". Many commentators considered this surprisingly low.
  • Leaves you wanting more.

Fawlty Towers is one of those shows which you can sit there and watch all 12 episodes without growing tired of it as it is one of the funniest shows I have ever watched. he one liners which come from this show are memorable.
    It is such a shame that John Cleese and Connie Booth could not put their marriage woes aside in order to produce a couple more seasons of this classic show.
    John Cleese as Basil Fawlty has made my wife and I want to consider purchasing a small Bed and Breakfast. I use to own a small business (a mail center) for many years and can fully appreciate Basil Fawlty and his attidute. People would yell and scream at me for charging 30 cents for a 29 cent postage stamp so it was easy to understand why at times Basil Fawlty was so rude to his guests when some of them were equally as rude and demanding.
    I strongly urge any person looking at starting their own business to study this show before opening your doors as it may change the way you do business and prevent you from having a heart attack.
  • One of the best, if not THE best, British sitcoms of all time. John Cleese\'s finest hour as the wildly eccentric hotel owner. Best episode: \'The Germans\' - \'don\'t mention the war!\' and which contains Cleese\'s manic goosestepping silly walk. Amust f

Of all the work done by the Pythons post-Python, this glorious John Cleese sitcom stands out as the finest. Based on a true life hotel owner Cleese & co met while making an episode of Python, it has become a true comedy classic, revered all the more as so few episodes were made.
  • It may have only lasted for 12 episodes, but it's still one of the best British series ever made.

I started watching Fawlty Towers after watching a promotion at the end of an old CBS/FOX tape. Thus started my experience of a series so funny you really have to watch it. It was named the #1 television program of all time by the British Film Institute, and Entertainment Weekly has called it "the Sistine Chapel of sitcoms." Not surprising, when you find that this series ran for 6 episodes a season, for 2 seasons.

So what is described as funny in this show? Such as Basil's total dislike of the deaf Mrs. Richards, or him goose-stepping from the dining room to reception and back, or him hitting his stalled car with a tree branch.

Even Manuel is funny, especially when people don't understand his English. Such as Mrs. Richards thinking the manager is "C.K. What" thanks to Manuel.

And Basil doesn't know a lot of, if not any Spanish. Example, in "A Touch of Class," Basil wants Manuel to fetch Mr. Brown's case from his car, which is a white sports car, and take them to room 7. To which Manuel replies, "Is not easy for me, entender" (not easy for him to understand). Basil says, "Obtener la valisa en el auto bianco sportiv, y ala sala siete por favor." Which most of it isn't even real Spanish. Even Manuel doesn't understand, saying, "Is impossible."
    "Look, it's perfectly simple!!" shouts Basil. But Mr. Brown knows fluent Spanish: "Manuel, sirvase buscar mi equipaje que esta en el automovil blanco y lo traer a la sala numero siete."
    "Well, if there's anything else," replies Basil, "I'm sure Manuel will be able to tell you, as you seem to get on so well together."

Basil has taken Manuel as his, er...attack bag. Can't really call it a punching bag when Basil bangs Manuel's head into the wall, pokes him in the eye (which reminds me of The Three Stooges), and on some occasions, picks him up and either takes him to the dining room to clean the windows, or turns him upside down, where it seems that Manuel is unintentionally slapping himself on the head, and then drops him, just as some guests walk by. ("We're training him," said Basil.)

But don't just take my word for it that Fawlty Towers is one of the greatest TV programs ever made. Buy or rent the videos or DVDs of the series inspired by the late Donald Sinclair, whom John Cleese says was "the most wonderfully rude man I've ever met."

(Internal notes: Phew...the longest review I've written. word count: 420.)
  • John Cleese at his best

Although i was born 10 years after the last season of Fawlty Towers i still find it one of the best shows ever and certainly the best Britsh show along with Mr Bean. John Cleese is terrific as the manager Mr Fawlty who shows the utmost disrespect to his customers. The writing is perfect as minor problems in running a hotel are turned a whole domino effect of catastrophic events which almost always end in dissatisfied customers and embarrasment for Basil Fawlty. A variety of interesting characters made the show all the more interesting and Andrew Sachs plays Manuel, a Spanish worker, perfectly. Its a shame that only 12 episodes were made, but they are 6 hours of wonderful television. I recommend that everyone goes out and buys the DVD, it's well worth the money
  • Combine physical comedy with biting dialogue and you get "Fawlty Towers".

Combine physical comedy with biting dialogue and you get "Fawlty Towers".

John Cleese is as close to perfect as you can get in this show. His character is pompous, outrageous and not nearly as clever as he thinks. No one in the show is, but they all try to outwit someone on some level. This was the definitely the next step in comedy for one of the comic genuises who brought us "Monty Python".

Cleese created and wrote the show with his ex-wife Connie Booth (Polly). There are only a few episodes of this wonderful show, but they are all absolute gems.
  • "Fawlty Towers" is the funniest show - EVER.

It's sad it only lasted 12 episodes, because "Fawlty Towers" is the funniest show I have ever watched. From the moment you see the messed up "FAWLTY TOWERS" sign during the opening to the last laugh in the episode, you can't breathe because you're laughing so hard. John Cleese and Prunella Scales make the perfect Mr. and Mrs. Fawlty and Connie Booth is great as Polly, and the guy who plays Manuel is awesome. The whole cast is awesome, as is the acting. "Fawlty Towers" will be a classic for years to come...I'd definatley buy it! Catch it on BBC (in Europe) and BBC America (in, duh!, North America).
  • John Cleese at his best.

This show is hilarious. I found it on syndication at work one weekend and fell in love with it instantly. I had to go buy the DVD set.

John Cleese is hilarious as the manager of the Fawlty Towers hotel. His staff is hilarious and well-casted. The antics that go on in the hotel will never stop amusing me.

Nothing beats the episode with the Germans.
  • Funniest show ever.

If there is any negative about this show, it is that there were only 12 episodes made.

After watching all the episodes over and over again, it is still impossible not to laugh. John Cleese shows his comic genious this classic series.

"The Germans" and "Communication Problems" are two classics that are worth watching.
1 2 >